Unpopular Opinions #14

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was once ran off of a Facebook mum group for stating this. There was a woman who would go round and breastfeed her toddler in public spaces… including once in the middle of an aisle in a super market. Many were championing her and saw it as “empowering”. Sorry but I just couldn’t see why. It just seemed like she thrived off being an attention bleep rather than it being any benefit of the child. I said what I saw and it seemed a very unpopular opinion.

A very normal bodily function doesn’t make it a “super power”. I also tit sometimes but my arse ain’t special.
I breastfeed in public. I don't cover up either. But I find a discrete place to do and it and don't post pictures or say I'm empowered. It's no more empowering then giving a baby a bottle. It's just feeding a baby . I don't think people feeding a baby should even be a topic of discussion, but these women that attention seek breastfeed make the rest of us that just wanna give a hungry baby lunch look bad.

Reactions: 22
I breastfeed in public. I don't cover up either. But I find a discrete place to do and it and don't post pictures or say I'm empowered. It's no more empowering then giving a baby a bottle. It's just feeding a baby . I don't think people feeding a baby should even be a topic of discussion, but these women that attention seek breastfeed make the rest of us that just wanna give a hungry baby lunch look bad.
There is a big difference between genuinely feeding ones baby, most people won’t really bat an eyelid and then there is going out of one’s way to sit in the middle of an aisle with full boob out with an aggressive face, and also managing to have a photograph taken to slap all over social media, pretending people were bothered. The only people bothered were probably those that couldn’t just get on with their shopping because of a “staged” incident. I feel that these women make an issue out of something that really isn’t there!

Reactions: 23
I don’t think it’s racist when people can’t pronounce your name. Half the people where I grew up couldn’t pronounce mine properly. And you know what? I don’t care 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 38
I don’t think it’s racist when people can’t pronounce your name. Half the people where I grew up couldn’t pronounce mine properly. And you know what? I don’t care 🤷🏼‍♀️
It's only racist if you're of colour obviously. A lot of Irish and Welsh names are hard to pronounce. Don't see them getting upset!

Reactions: 19
There is a big difference between genuinely feeding ones baby, most people won’t really bat an eyelid and then there is going out of one’s way to sit in the middle of an aisle with full boob out with an aggressive face, and also managing to have a photograph taken to slap all over social media, pretending people were bothered. The only people bothered were probably those that couldn’t just get on with their shopping because of a “staged” incident. I feel that these women make an issue out of something that really isn’t there!
It's actually really harmful to new mums. Because when I had my first I was really scared to bf in public because I thought people would have a go at me.

I've fed two babies, I've never hidden away, an no one has ever told me off or tried to make me feel bad. People don't actually care. I also realised when I started bf that you don't actually need to get that much boob out and once baby is on, they cover you up. But some of these attention feeders seem to need to get their entire top half naked. Maybe you could excuse that when your getting feeding established in the 1st few weeks. But after that you should surely be able to bf without getting your kit off.

Reactions: 13
It's actually really harmful to new mums. Because when I had my first I was really scared to bf in public because I thought people would have a go at me.

I've fed two babies, I've never hidden away, an no one has ever told me off or tried to make me feel bad. People don't actually care. I also realised when I started bf that you don't actually need to get that much boob out and once baby is on, they cover you up. But some of these attention feeders seem to need to get their entire top half naked. Maybe you could excuse that when your getting feeding established in the 1st few weeks. But after that you should surely be able to bf without getting your kit off.
I honestly think there is something really prudish and incredibly childish about people who are offended by BF. I take absolutely no notice of what other people do unless it's something I should be involved in (a crime being committed or somebody needing my help). I get what you guys are saying about making a song and dance about it on SM, but that's just the same as any other exhibitionism on SM and is a world away from a mum just doing what her breasts are actually designed for discretely with the baby covering her anyway. It's bleeping ridiculous that we live in a world where there is anything wrong with that!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Very true. An Asian teacher couldn’t pronounce my relatively really common name properly. I have never felt so discriminated against in all my life 😂😂

I was scared to BF out in public too because these women make out like the masses are offended by it. When I did it for the first time I was so nervous too but literally no one batted an eye lid. I had an old lady smile at me when she realised what I was doing and that was about it. No creeps and no tellings off either.

Reactions: 8
Very true. An Asian teacher couldn’t pronounce my relatively really common name properly. I have never felt so discriminated against in all my life 😂😂

I was scared to BF out in public too because these women make out like the masses are offended by it. When I did it for the first time I was so nervous too but literally no one batted an eye lid. I had an old lady smile at me when she realised what I was doing and that was about it. No creeps and no tellings off either.
And you won't. 99% won't even notice or care at all. If I ever saw/heard anyone complain, I'd give them a proper tongue lashing myself.

On names - if someone repeatedly makes no effort to pronounce a name correctly, then the person is a dick.

But otherwise - wind ya neck in. Reading a name tells you nothing of how it is pronounced in other countries; where they place emphasis, where they dont, how it reads phonetically to them, their own diagraphs etc. Gaelic names can be just as, if not more, difficult to pronounce than nigerian for example.

Reactions: 17
On names - if someone repeatedly makes no effort to pronounce a name correctly, then the person is a dick.

But otherwise - wind ya neck in. Reading a name tells you nothing of how it is pronounced in other countries; where they place emphasis, where they dont, how it reads phonetically to them, their own diagraphs etc. Gaelic names can be just as, if not more, difficult to pronounce than nigerian for example.
I think I've had one, maybe two people ask how my surname is pronounced (it's Scottish; but has a slightly odd spelling) and almost everyone else just gets it wrong.

I do like a micro curry though, I actually prefer them to take out as they're not as oily.
Me too. And I can make ‘a curry’ but I can’t, or can’t be arsed to make specific ones like korma or jalfrezi so they’re good for that. Only thing I’ll use a jar sauce for too.

Reactions: 2

When I 1st started at a call center I used to say sib-oh-han for Siobhan (just had to Google how to spell).

If you've never seen it written down its really not obvious how its pronounced. That's not me being rude, just a bit clueless.

Reactions: 7
When I 1st started at a call center I used to say sib-oh-han for Siobhan (just had to Google how to spell).

If you've never seen it written down its really not obvious how its pronounced. That's not me being rude, just a bit clueless.
I worked for British Airways many moons ago. I remember having to deal with a ticketing issue from an angry passenger. I asked for his daughter's name and he says it and then spells it to me... 'Niamh'.
I asked him to repeat himself but yet again, it doesn't sink in with me. The pronunciation and the spelling doesn't match and I'm issuing a non changeable/non refundable ticket on a long haul flight.

I'm on the phone to a very irate man and I'm convinced I'm getting this all wrong. I asked him a further 2 times before I cut him off 'by mistake' and taking an early break to prevent him coming back through to me!

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.