Unjaded Jade

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You can’t make this tit up, no self awareness at all. I pay tens for thousands to attend a private university set up by venture capitalists so that I can fast track my way into Silicon Valley - but duck CAPITALISM!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
I study law at Bristol (so i'm bias lol) but completely agree with ^. I'm also Bristolian myself and reckon she would have really gelled with Bristol life. So many students come here because they've watched Skins (lmao), I'm sure she could have fell into one of those groups and had a good social life as well as attending a more traditional uni
thanks all for explaining! My entire knowledge of UK universities is through watching study youtubers haha. Russell Group sounds similar to Australia’s ‘group of 8’ universities. And yes I do only know of Bristol because of Skins! By the way I’m jealous of your uni system and how most people seem to move cities and live in student housing. Most people live at home while studying in Aus /off topic
Back on topic... I miss Jade’s uni and studying vlogs because I loved seeing all the ridiculous things she was studying!

Reactions: 3
thanks all for explaining! My entire knowledge of UK universities is through watching study youtubers haha. Russell Group sounds similar to Australia’s ‘group of 8’ universities. And yes I do only know of Bristol because of Skins! By the way I’m jealous of your uni system and how most people seem to move cities and live in student housing. Most people live at home while studying in Aus /off topic
Back on topic... I miss Jade’s uni and studying vlogs because I loved seeing all the ridiculous things she was studying!
She's back at uni now at least so we might get some more! Can't wait to see how they make History 101 sound heartless and businessy

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I went to Loughborough uni. Not a Russell group yet top 10 in every national leaderboard, 1st for Accommodation and 2nd for University Facilities and Students’ Union etc. Jade has been SO narrow minded with her uni choice. I really think after her Oxford rejection she was just so desperate to stand out and be seen to do something different. Minerva simply won’t be recognised by employers here as the amazing thing she tries to make out it is. She has really damaged any real job prospects (not MLM lol) by going there.

Reactions: 12
god i finally watched her stories with that down with capitalism thing, i found it all so cringe, they all seem to pretend to be so "original" and "wacky", it's all so performative. how the hell can someone at a uni which is literally a business (whatever they claim a uni is not just somewhere to teach is should be a research centre, which Minerva does not do) claim they hate capitalism. As I have said before, I am left wing but even I wouldn't argue against capitalism in itself, somewhere like Sweden is a good example of how capitalism can work well when controlled

I went to Loughborough uni. Not a Russell group yet top 10 in every national leaderboard, 1st for Accommodation and 2nd for University Facilities and Students’ Union etc. Jade has been SO narrow minded with her uni choice. I really think after her Oxford rejection she was just so desperate to stand out and be seen to do something different. Minerva simply won’t be recognised by employers here as the amazing thing she tries to make out it is. She has really damaged any real job prospects (not MLM lol) by going there.
yeah, I went to a Russel Group uni but that is not the be all and end all, and it also depends highly on the subject you study as some unis are better for different things, regardless of overall ranking. I remember when we were choosing uni's being advised that actually a prestigious course with lots of "famous" academics might be less good than a less prestigious one as the lecturers will be focused on publishing books etc rather than teaching. She has such a weird view of uni, she hasn't even experienced a normal uni so I don;t know why she seems able to talk about it

She's back at uni now at least so we might get some more! Can't wait to see how they make History 101 sound heartless and businessy
all just described with % and figures :LOL:

Reactions: 4
Haha I'm glad people have missed the posts about her ridiculous assignments too. One of my favourites was when she posted about an assignment for her natural sciences course, and the task was to propose a hypothesis, plan your own experiment and explain what the independent and dependent variables were. I assist w/ stats teaching on a natural sciences uni course and I was appalled - that kind of task is GCSE level, maybe A-Level if you're pushing it. Jade would've been doing stuff like that since she was 15, but because it's packaged as a group learning ~critical thinking~ task it probably seems like a really groundbreaking assignment lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Haha I'm glad people have missed the posts about her ridiculous assignments too. One of my favourites was when she posted about an assignment for her natural sciences course, and the task was to propose a hypothesis, plan your own experiment and explain what the independent and dependent variables were. I assist w/ stats teaching on a natural sciences uni course and I was appalled - that kind of task is GCSE level, maybe A-Level if you're pushing it. Jade would've been doing stuff like that since she was 15, but because it's packaged as a group learning ~critical thinking~ task it probably seems like a really groundbreaking assignment lol.
That's so GCSE! I remember having to do that for my assessed practicals in my science exams and I didn't do sciences at A level. I know US unis generally are slightly less in depth than British ones, but if I was being taught things I'd learned four years ago in compulsory education I'd be raging. What on earth does that huge tuition fee go towards other than lining people's pockets?

Reactions: 10
That's so GCSE! I remember having to do that for my assessed practicals in my science exams and I didn't do sciences at A level. I know US unis generally are slightly less in depth than British ones, but if I was being taught things I'd learned four years ago in compulsory education I'd be raging. What on earth does that huge tuition fee go towards other than lining people's pockets?
I think that is the downside of not having one major like we generally do in the UK, you can't really go in depth enough as you focus on so many things

Reactions: 3
Does anyone else find it weird she seems to have no idea about the places she lives before she goes? I haven't ever been to Berlin in summer and even I am aware that they have lakes for swimming in summer

Yeah that is weird. I have never been to Berlin and even I know they have those lake beaches. Also she was surprised by how diverse Berlin is. I don’t know why she assumed at first that the capital of Germany with population of around 3 million wouldn’t be diverse.

Reactions: 5
Yeah that is weird. I have never been to Berlin and even I know they have those lake beaches. Also she was surprised by how diverse Berlin is. I don’t know why she assumed at first that the capital of Germany with population of around 3 million wouldn’t be diverse.
exactly! (OT but love your username :LOL:)

Reactions: 1

Diversity seems a new concept to her. I wonder how old she was when she first saw someone that wasn’t white 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Diversity seems a new concept to her. I wonder how old she was when she first saw someone that wasn’t white 😂
She's lives an incredibly middle class and privileged life - I'm going to assume that her upbringing, school classes and community were very white

Her overreactions to people who aren't British make it very clear she's not used to being around POC / non Brits

Reactions: 9
She's lives an incredibly middle class and privileged life - I'm going to assume that her upbringing, school classes and community were very white

Her overreactions to people who aren't British make it very clear she's not used to being around POC / non Brits
This is what I don’t understand to be honest. How can diversity be a new concept for her? 😅 I grew up in a very non-diverse country and only interactions with diversity for me where through travelling with my family and the internet. I always got the concept of diversity just fine and never thought that Africa is just a place where everybody is poor with no way of affording “University” or was surprised by the fact that people from other countries had similar experiences to mine. How can someone from the UK which is much more diverse than my country ever will be not be able to grasp the concept of diversity??? And pretend that the fact that it is some kind of magic she just discovered???

Reactions: 6
This is what I don’t understand to be honest. How can diversity be a new concept for her? 😅 I grew up in a very non-diverse country and only interactions with diversity for me where through travelling with my family and the internet. I always got the concept of diversity just fine and never thought that Africa is just a place where everybody is poor with no way of affording “University” or was surprised by the fact that people from other countries had similar experiences to mine. How can someone from the UK which is much more diverse than my country ever will be not be able to grasp the concept of diversity??? And pretend that the fact that it is some kind of magic she just discovered???
The thing is the UK is only diverse in certain areas. If you're not in a city, the UK is pretty damn white. I mean, she's from close to London so I'm kind of surprised diversity is a big thing for her, but it's not crazy to think she might not have interacted with many minorities before starting uni.

In Jade’s story they are all singing .. one of them says ‘anti capitalism’ and they all cheer. Her dad is literally the definition of a capitalist. She has benefited so much from it.
Personally I feel we can't hold her dads career against her- she has benefited from it yes, but what else would she have done? She was raised like that and it was not a conscious choice of hers. However, cheering for 'anti-capitalism' when your 'university' is the definition of capitalism (which you made the conscious choice to pay for and attend) is hypocrisy at its finest.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Personally I feel we can't hold her dads career against her- she has benefited from it yes, but what else would she have done? She was raised like that and it was not a conscious choice of hers. However, cheering for 'anti-capitalism' when your 'university' is the definition of capitalism (which you made the conscious choice to pay for and attend) is hypocrisy at its finest.
I mean she could always address it in a mature way... she's all for "checking your privilege" but doesn't really address it

Reactions: 6
I agree about this, but surely she watches tv/ the news etc? a lack of awareness of diversity is just ignorance in this day and age. her referring to "people from africa" made me really angry. she is book smart, but has no real world knowledge

Reactions: 5
Someone mentioned it before but she does almost fetishise diversity, yet if she was really that bothered she would be trying to get Minerva to give out some scholarships to help widen the cohort in terms of ethnicity and social class!

Reactions: 13
I've never worked in a position which involves hiring people for jobs/internships but if someone tried to woo me with a percentage and a note that says "look how few people get accepted in this totally random programme that's not even a university I've graduated from!" I'd call bullshit. If it's a truly selective prestigious uni, the name will speak for itself. If you truly love and believe in the education you're getting regardless of the uni you go to, you won't stoop to cheap tricks like that. People aren't supid and even Jade must know how little impact Minerva must have outside of Silicon Valley. With the A-levels and once work ethic she had, she could have applied to a bunch of very good universities without needing to have a pissing contest of "who is more special" with Oxford students and did an actual year abroad with some credible education to her name. She'll probably land on her feet just fine anyway, I'm sure daddy will help with her entrepreneurship adventures after school but it'll be because of her luck and privilege rather than the merits of Minerva scam.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.