Unjaded Jade

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just skipped through most of the vlog and completely missed what she said about vibrators. What did she say?

Reactions: 2
Which comments? On Jade’s channel or her own? Or on Instagram? Just curious as I followed them years ago but don’t know who is friends with who anymore lol
On eve’s YouTube channel, someone said is jade moving in, eve said yes, someone then said oo that‘s exciting. Then she said ooo sorry, I just thought you meant she was moving to Berlin, it was discussed on Eve’s thread I think

Reactions: 2
I think talking about vibrators is great! Her audience is probably mostly late GCSE age to starting uni age and at that point a lot of people realise how normal talking about sex and masturbation is. It's not sexualising kids. It's showing them how normal stuff is and how talking about female masturbation shouldn't be something to be ashamed of. Did I expect it from Jade? Ngl I didn't but nonetheless I think it's a good thing.

Reactions: 28
What bothers me about the whole "Well, German will probably be easier since it's so similar to Dutch" is the fact that...Jade is not fluent in Dutch yet. Her mom is a native speaker, and she's a native English speaker, both of which make things easier for her, and she's very good from what I've seen. However, learning a language requires an enormous amount of time and effort, and learning multiple languages at the same time even more so. Maybe it's just jealousy on my part, but, as a languages student, her thinking that studying a language 20 minutes a day for six months while doing a bunch of other things is the path to fluency strikes me as kind of braggy. I mean, what do I know, she might surprise us and become super fluent in German, and maybe she's just that dedicated and has already become super fluent in Dutch. But still.

Reactions: 12
I had to rewind when she mentioned her vibrator to check I had heard correctly! 😂 I mean it definitely shouldn't be a 'taboo' subject, but I was NOT expecting it!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
What bothers me about the whole "Well, German will probably be easier since it's so similar to Dutch" is the fact that...Jade is not fluent in Dutch yet. Her mom is a native speaker, and she's a native English speaker, both of which make things easier for her, and she's very good from what I've seen. However, learning a language requires an enormous amount of time and effort, and learning multiple languages at the same time even more so. Maybe it's just jealousy on my part, but, as a languages student, her thinking that studying a language 20 minutes a day for six months while doing a bunch of other things is the path to fluency strikes me as kind of braggy. I mean, what do I know, she might surprise us and become super fluent in German, and maybe she's just that dedicated and has already become super fluent in Dutch. But still.
All her classes are taught in English, there's no way she'll be fluent in German in 3 months, it's a really difficult language. She just likes bragging about how she breezes through every single area of academia because she attends the genius elite Minerva wElL rOuNdeD... whatever it is.. first ever Whatsapp-based university

• Haha
Reactions: 15
All her classes are taught in English, there's no way she'll be fluent in German in 3 months, it's a really difficult language. She just likes bragging about how she breezes through every single area of academia because she attends the genius elite Minerva wElL rOuNdeD... whatever it is.. first ever Whatsapp-based university
Obviously when you arrive at a country learn the basics but why do you need to be fluent? I found Berlin to be a good place to survive with a small amount of German, lots of people speak perfect english

That article about Minerva learning really bothered me.

Jade literally used ‘rote learning’ as a blanket statement for all other ‘mainstream’ universities. Sorry what?

Every university uses a mixture of rote learning and critical thinking/engaging. Whether that be through seminars, tutorials or being in a studio for art related courses. She seems to have this idea that all other uni’s only have lectures and we write notes and that’s it. She couldn’t be further from the truth, and it’s ridiculous.

also, at other universities you get the chance to go on placement/year abroad. It’s ridiculous to think that Jade doesn’t even consider this.

Reactions: 12

Jade literally used ‘rote learning’ as a blanket statement for all other ‘mainstream’ universities. Sorry what?

Every university uses a mixture of rote learning and critical thinking/engaging. Whether that be through seminars, tutorials or being in a studio for art related courses. She seems to have this idea that all other uni’s only have lectures and we write notes and that’s it. She couldn’t be further from the truth, and it’s ridiculous.

also, at other universities you get the chance to go on placement/year abroad. It’s ridiculous to think that Jade doesn’t even consider this.
And a lot of UK universities are recognised for their research, hence why some of them have specific titles and have some institutions within them! She just has to push that Minerva is the best, she can’t tell us why because she actually doesn’t know

Where can I read this article? Sorry if I missed it (don't have instagram)

Reactions: 1

Yep it's ridiculous and dangerous considering that she's an influencer. She's peddling myths to a large audience of impressionable young people and not bothering to fact check anything.

Reactions: 7
Kinda random, but I think Jade would have fit in somewhere like Stanford or UCLA. Not sure if that makes sense, I just think it's her ✨vibe✨. For the fees she must be paying anyway, I think it would have served her much better in the long run.

Reactions: 4
Ok so just watched the vlog again fully and she said “I cannot STAND people discriminating against other people’s religious beliefs” and just like that she ended religious discrimination 🙄 I can’t with this chick

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Ok so just watched the vlog again fully and she said “I cannot STAND people discriminating against other people’s religious beliefs” and just like that she ended religious discrimination 🙄 I can’t with this chick
Wow the queen of ✨tolerance✨. She's so woke and respectful you can almost forget she actually referred to a group of human beings as ✨chavs✨

Reactions: 23
Minerva has very MLM sort of vibes. I understand they provide a service, but clearly the students are encouraged to sell the university to others (often those that are less fortunate and probably can't afford it anyway) and maintain an online presence.

You know, for a woke queen I find it interesting that she doesn't actually discuss how a working class students who may not fit it in well at you Oxbridge/Durham sort of unis (not sure how 'posh' the other russel group unis are) or aren't big into a traditional academic experience would be attracted by this but couldn't afford it (since they would be paying international-level fees mainly).

Edit - based on the assumption that people don't realise that Minerva is really not as prestigious as Oxbridge or ivy league

Reactions: 7
And not to be petty, but isn't it strange that she kind of stole her rommate's jeans jacket? The rommate forgot the jacket in SF and I could understand not wanting to pay for international shipping to Vietnam (I think). But now that they are both in Europe she could give it back. She brought it with her to Berlin, but the rommate is going to London, so why not leave the jacket to her family and find a way for her friend to have it back? It just seems strange. Even stranger because she keeps using it, idk. Maybe it's just me! Also I find the jacket kind of ugly, but that's another story!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Turns out Dinara said the same thing about Minerva...

Why did you choose to attend Minerva?

I first learned about Minerva from my exchange program alumni social media group. As soon as I read the website, I knew Minerva’s vision was perfectly aligned with my goals. At the time, I was already studying at a university in Moscow but I was discouraged by the lecture class format, which wasn’t effective for my learning and allowed a lot of students to skip class. My school didn’t promote critical thinking at all. Instead, we would memorize information and would forget most of it after the exams. I wanted a different education, where my enthusiasm for the subjects would not fade.

When I read about Minerva’s model, I thought it could be a place where I would be continuously challenged and academically stimulated. I liked the small, engaging, discussion-based seminars and that assignments required students to practically apply the concepts to relevant problems. Minerva’s international student body also was a significant factor, as I had studied abroad in high school and enjoyed meeting people whose perspectives were very different from mine. And I’m thrilled I applied because the last 2.5 years have been precisely that.

from
The whole concept of Minerva sounds great but "traditional unis" are just not good, if not better based on academics. I don't think anyone can expect to graduate and get a job like a lawyer etc. Either further study has to be undertaken elsewhere or they'll end up with a quirky job.

she also said:
Additionally, I would also love to continue to develop my YouTube channel and digital community as I am able to connect with a lot of people and, hopefully, help them in a meaningful way.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
Turns out Dinara said the same thing about Minerva...

Why did you choose to attend Minerva?

I first learned about Minerva from my exchange program alumni social media group. As soon as I read the website, I knew Minerva’s vision was perfectly aligned with my goals. At the time, I was already studying at a university in Moscow but I was discouraged by the lecture class format, which wasn’t effective for my learning and allowed a lot of students to skip class. My school didn’t promote critical thinking at all. Instead, we would memorize information and would forget most of it after the exams. I wanted a different education, where my enthusiasm for the subjects would not fade.

When I read about Minerva’s model, I thought it could be a place where I would be continuously challenged and academically stimulated. I liked the small, engaging, discussion-based seminars and that assignments required students to practically apply the concepts to relevant problems. Minerva’s international student body also was a significant factor, as I had studied abroad in high school and enjoyed meeting people whose perspectives were very different from mine. And I’m thrilled I applied because the last 2.5 years have been precisely that.

from
The whole concept of Minerva sounds great but "traditional unis" are just not good, if not better based on academics. I don't think anyone can expect to graduate and get a job like a lawyer etc. Either further study has to be undertaken elsewhere or they'll end up with a quirky job.

she also said:
Additionally, I would also love to continue to develop my YouTube channel and digital community as I am able to connect with a lot of people and, hopefully, help them in a meaningful way.
Hmmmm..... seriously sounds like a cult. This whole heavy focus on ‘critical thinking’ as if it’s something only Minerva does. To be perfectly honest, it sounds like these people (Dinara and Jade) just wanted more contact time and for it to be closer to a secondary education. Minerva defo has more contact than other unis, and I wonder if they just think they’re getting a better education because of that?

Reactions: 11
Minerva does sound good. However it offers just 10% of the actual “student experience” .

Even though I would like to try their model I just adore my uni’s campus. It’s nothing special but for me it’s a place of inspiration, it’s my second home those last 5 years. We don’t have ‘contact hours’, supervisions and staff like that, only lectures and labs. Nevertheless, I just love being there and I really miss it now that classes are online. I can hardly pay attention to online lectures and even though we are encouraged to participate (extra marks, dissertation prospect etc) I just don’t feel comfortable.
Idk how can an introvert survive at Minerva and I really cannot imagine the minerva students on yt following an academic career or even research.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.