Ukraine Russia War #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Is it true that the German version of it's all Greek to me is "I understand only railway station"?
German here šŸ™‹šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø We do indeed say ā€˜Ich verstehe nur Bahnhofā€™ which translates to ā€˜I understand only railway stationā€™.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
also found these two videos really comprehensive and informative!!
(although in the russia one his analysis on the likelihood of war is ... off)

Reactions: 5
German here šŸ™‹šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø We do indeed say ā€˜Ich verstehe nur Bahnhofā€™ which translates to ā€˜I understand only railway stationā€™.
O/T, but you have made my day. I thought my Uncle was taking the piss all these years (sorry Uncle David)

On topic, what's the feeling in Germany about the official German response? I know they are starting to increase assistance, but they've been taking quite a bit of stick for what they've done so far

Reactions: 26
O/T, but you have made my day. I thought my Uncle was taking the piss all these years (sorry Uncle David)

On topic, what's the feeling in Germany about the official German response? I know they are starting to increase assistance, but they've been taking quite a bit of stick for what they've done so far
Nah he was telling the truth šŸ˜… it does seem like a strange thing to say. My boyfriend, who is British, was confused by this in the beginning.

What Iā€™ve seen on my socials is that everyone here is urging government to do more to help, thereā€™s so much more we could do but Scholz and the heads of the big parties seem very hesitant. I have read that there is a lot of pressure on Scholz from his own party members who are urging him to do more (send weapons, expel Russia from SWIFT, etc.). It seems a lot like because of our history our leaders are hesitant to ā€˜participateā€™ in this which of course is BS. Ukraine needs our support and I hope our government does something soon.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Any one seeing the coverage on sky news right now?

Oh it just cut off must have been earlier on in the day

Reactions: 7
This whole thing is just šŸ˜£ ... so can Russia just go in and straight up murder zelensky? Is that not a crime??

Reactions: 10
Whereā€™s Putin? Hiding like the coward he is. Has his minions and henchmen doing his dirty work. Donā€™t underestimate this cretin - he is an extremely evil man and with the old world view not able to get out of the Cold War era, as well as chronic paranoia, he is rogue and can do anything. He has access to nuclear weaponry. Why have they taken over Chernobyl? To exploit minerals to make nuclear bombs. Heā€™s got the Chinese in his back pocket and then arseholes like trump backing him and feeding the narrative and the far right brigade. I think itā€™s going to take more than sanctions from the rest of the world to end this. The west needs to hold their hands up too and realise theyā€™ve played part in this using poor Ukraine as a pawn over the NATO argument. And still countries letting Russians launder money into their countries to fund Putinā€™s regime. Its just awful. šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢

Reactions: 22
This whole thing is just šŸ˜£ ... so can Russia just go in and straight up murder zelensky? Is that not a crime??
Yes and yes. Invading was a crime. Putin is passed caring about insignificant things like laws. If anything I'd says it's more likely now we can all see how zelensky is rallying people. If you're taking over a country you don't want to run the risk of insurgency.

Thing is with laws, they're just words. Unless they are enforced they mean very little.

Yes and yes. Invading was a crime. Putin is passed caring about insignificant things like laws. If anything I'd says it's more likely now we can all see how zelensky is rallying people. If you're taking over a country you don't want to run the risk of insurgency.

Thing is with laws, they're just words. Unless they are enforced they mean very little.
Zelensky is making Putin look small and ineffectual. Putin will not like that, and you are quite correct when you say that such little things as international laws have no effect on Putin. He's already breaking most of them right now.

This isn't going to be like Dubček working in the Forestry Service in Slovakia after the Prague Spring and his expulsion from the party.

Reactions: 15
Whereā€™s Putin? Hiding like the coward he is. Has his minions and henchmen doing his dirty work. Donā€™t underestimate this cretin - he is an extremely evil man and with the old world view not able to get out of the Cold War era, as well as chronic paranoia, he is rogue and can do anything. He has access to nuclear weaponry. Why have they taken over Chernobyl? To exploit minerals to make nuclear bombs. Heā€™s got the Chinese in his back pocket and then arseholes like trump backing him and feeding the narrative and the far right brigade. I think itā€™s going to take more than sanctions from the rest of the world to end this. The west needs to hold their hands up too and realise theyā€™ve played part in this using poor Ukraine as a pawn over the NATO argument. And still countries letting Russians launder money into their countries to fund Putinā€™s regime. Its just awful. šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢
They didn't take over Chernobyl for the purpose you've said. They did it for a strategic reason.

They took over Chernobyl because that's the quickest and easiest route to get to Kyiv - that's why Belarus have been sanctioned, because Russia went through Belarus to get to Chernobyl as it's close to their border. Russia also know how dangerous Chernobyl is and that Ukraine have always had military there to guard it and make sure there is no damage to radioactive waste storage. They know Ukraine won't fire back at them at Chernobyl, because that risks damaging the infrastructure that protects this waste from getting out.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Only half way through the last thread, so forgive me if this has already been discussed.

I have tears in my eyes this morning as I see photos taken last night of the London Eye glowing in blue and yellow, as well as Blackpool Tower and Nelson's Column. All in blue and yellow. Beautiful, silent support for Ukraine.
But ā€œsilentā€ is the operative word. How does a country thatā€™s co-opting anotherā€™s flag in ā€œsupportā€ reconcile these actions with refusing to provide automatic visas to the very citizens of this country? It is so performative it makes me feel sick.

Reactions: 9
They didn't take over Chernobyl for the purpose you've said. They did it for a strategic reason.

They took over Chernobyl because that's the quickest and easiest route to get to Kyiv - that's why Belarus have been sanctioned, because Russia went through Belarus to get to Chernobyl as it's close to their border. Russia also know how dangerous Chernobyl is and that Ukraine have always had military there to guard it and make sure there is no damage to radioactive waste storage. They know Ukraine won't fire back at them at Chernobyl, because that risks damaging the infrastructure that protects this waste from getting out.
You're right, and what the West forget - or never knew - is that Belarus bore the brunt of the disaster. 70% of the fifty million curies of radioactivity released fell on Belarus. In the aftermath of Chernobyl they lost 485 villages and towns.

• Sad
  • Sick
UK soldiers arenā€™t going to fight, we are not at war. Itā€™s completely normal for them to fly out.

Also for those suffering mental health wise, try to put things into perspective. Weā€™ve had Syria, Yemen, many other war atrocities. People living through enough horror where being washed up on a beach was the better alternative. Were they putting you off living your normal lives? Maybe cultural proximity is causing this to have a bigger effect on some people.

Just what I believe too. If Boris thought he needed to send in troops, or that the UK would be going to war, he would be arranging for men to sign up, to be trained. And start talking out Your Country Needs You.

Reactions: 10
Does Vlad not realise that everyone (including citizens of Russia) thinks heā€™s a massive knob head?

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.