Ukraine Russia War #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Where are Ukraines allies? Are they part of NATO? they could have Russia flattened if all of the countries sending arms and money got together and attacked Russia.

Reactions: 2
Where are Ukraines allies? Are they part of NATO? they could have Russia flattened if all of the countries sending arms and money got together and attacked Russia.
Holding back, playing chicken with what may or may not be idle threats in response to anything that qualifies as 'existential threat to russia' which probably would be the tipping point for the generals not to block the MAD if the order is issued.
Not that I don't see the merits, but we'd have to have a 100% effective missile defence to avoid being a smoking ruin half an hour later.

Sending thoughts and prayers like the rest of the world
Does feel like that. Definitely being too slow.

The last several days has seen parts of the Russian media (merely paddling in said pool, admittedly a somewhat shallow view) bigging-up the delays and how western armed forces are struggling to meet the demands, some stuff promised is apparently never to appear...

Other (somewhat less PR motivated) analysis and as per the sky news briefing that Ms/Mr Tube links above does seem to suggest Russia has jumped the gun a bit and its forces aren't really ready for the big push in spite of amassing people (short on training) and vehicles (ground still too crap).

Reactions: 4
Lots of countries (if not most) don't want Ukraine to win, but they also don't want Ukraine to lose. A stalemate bogging things down probably does suit them.

Lots of countries (if not most) don't want Ukraine to win, but they also don't want Ukraine to lose. A stalemate bogging things down probably does suit them.
I think a lot of said countries are watching on carefully, seeing how this has unfolded and how the same could and might happen to them if they don’t fall in line with the unipolar world. (I.e. regime change, sanctions etc)
Ultimately for this conflict to end, it will be through a peace agreement and not through Ukraine being supplied weapons.
---

interesting move for the UK - not sure how this is going to help things?

Reactions: 3
I think it's a very complicated picture and there's no easy solutions to the end. It's been going on for the best part of a decade.

If Ukraine hadnt of been supported and Russia succeed then we might very well of seen China go after Taiwan and that would have had so much bigger ramifications.

Reactions: 6
A minute silence for a year or war eerrrrrrr how about NO. I'm uncomfortable with this idolising of Ukraine our useless gov keeps forcing. Get on with it yourself, I'm not part of it. Pointless platitudes yet again 🥴

Reactions: 3
I agree. A minute's silence isn't going to help Ukraine. :(
It's so sad, we all want it to be over and I can't believe it's nearly been a year.
Damn you, Putin.

5'000 shells a day is big, but not so much if you think all of the west is running factories to produce them. I wonder if it's more the west signalling to slow down and warning the supply isn't unlimited. Most countries must just want a peace deal.

If they wanted to put a stop to Russia then rather than keep supplying artillery they could just give a relatively small amount of longer range weapons to knock out the supplies.

This wouldn't entirely surprise me, though there's going to be some divergence on what they want, what they need, and what they end up with.

What we're seeing happen though is surely the combination of those as determined by what various governments decided were their least-worst option for action or assistance, tempered by how confident they felt in that game of chicken (who's going to run out of what, first) and trying to avoid Russia pointing any fingers directly at them instead of just the more general 'west'.

Interesting remark from NATO about joining, a reminder of (as I understand it) one of the conditions.

The war can only end with a negotiated settlement but that in itself covers a huge range of possibilities - that said, use of the word 'win' does to me suggest the intended result is for the entirety of Ukraine to be Ukrainian.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.