Ukraine Russia Tensions - Crisis - War

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I want to preface this by saying that I expect this will sound very silly and childish. I’m only in uni and I haven’t seen very many wars, I want to get my feelings out.

The one thing that keeps going through my mind is “how dare he?” How dare Putin? Who does he think he is, that he is entitled to Ukraine? Who does he think he is, that Russia threatens to invade Ukraine, multiple countries say Russia will be sanctioned for it, and in response he behaves as if that’s unfair? Who does he think he is that he should be able to lay waste to a country and let the bodies pile up simply because he wants to and not be punished for it? How dare he! In the midst of all this tit the world is still reeling through, there has to be a war simply because he can’t keep his hands off something that isn’t his anyway?????!!!!!!

It feels wrong to carry on as normal, you know? To carry on with work for lessons and to do the laundry, but I know as a regular person there’s only so much I can do, and I’ll do what I can, but the power is held within the government (that I haven’t trusted since I became politically aware anyway). It feels rather hopeless.
I seriously think think he's been diagnosed with a life threatening illness like cancer or dementia and it's his last chance to secure his fucked up legacy. He's nearly 70 now and his ego can't take he hasn't conquered the world . I'm hoping and praying someone in the Russian government ends him .

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I want to preface this by saying that I expect this will sound very silly and childish. I’m only in uni and I haven’t seen very many wars, I want to get my feelings out.

The one thing that keeps going through my mind is “how dare he?” How dare Putin? Who does he think he is, that he is entitled to Ukraine? Who does he think he is, that Russia threatens to invade Ukraine, multiple countries say Russia will be sanctioned for it, and in response he behaves as if that’s unfair? Who does he think he is that he should be able to lay waste to a country and let the bodies pile up simply because he wants to and not be punished for it? How dare he! In the midst of all this tit the world is still reeling through, there has to be a war simply because he can’t keep his hands off something that isn’t his anyway?????!!!!!!

It feels wrong to carry on as normal, you know? To carry on with work for lessons and to do the laundry, but I know as a regular person there’s only so much I can do, and I’ll do what I can, but the power is held within the government (that I haven’t trusted since I became politically aware anyway). It feels rather hopeless.
You do not sound silly at all - it is as scary as it appears - as someone who lived through the cold war I can remember the threat of nuclear warfare staring us all in the face - I do not know the answer but I do know that if only politicians and their ego’s didn’t run this planet humanity would be better off -

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
Not sure if this is allowed but I watched the news earlier and there was mention of the Association of Ukrainians in Great Britain - on their website they've launched a fundraising page to help source medical and essential supplies for those in Ukraine. https://www.augb.co.uk/
That's brilliant, @sweetpaprika, and thank you for the link - I'm going to donate as soon as I am paid this weekend. £70 may seem like a lot at this time of rapid inflation and straitened incomes, but if each of us could help just one family - be it with woolen blankets when they have to bed down in a bomb sheler, or foil blankets to protect against shock or hypothermia - well, to me, it's not that great a sacrifice. (I certainly don't speak for everyone, I know.) It feels good to be able to do SOMETHING.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Does not sound childish AT ALL. I (52 years old) feel the same. I’m on annual leave this week and don’t want to get up today! (Partly hangover and raining so can’t walk dogs yet, but…..just don’t want to!) Hope is all we can have. Keep going and carry on as normal, in the hope that the world will right itself. Maybe we need to find the good and better politicians to guide our future.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I seriously think think he's been diagnosed with a life threatening illness like cancer or dementia and it's his last chance to secure his fucked up legacy. He's nearly 70 now and his ego can't take he hasn't conquered the world .
This exactly. Something has changed. I totally expected after the land grab the other day for things to quieten down.

His popularity in Russia apparently jumped from 40% to 80% after taking land in Crimea. Maybe he's got a few years left and wants to go out popular at home?

Reactions: 12
This exactly. Something has changed. I totally expected after the land grab the other day for things to quieten down.

His popularity in Russia apparently jumped from 40% to 80% after taking land in Crimea. Maybe he's got a few years left and wants to go out popular at home?
It's so scary that somebody can hold so much power that they can take away the lives of lots of innocent people all for the sake of their own ego.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
A second attack on Ukraine has been reported, from multiple sides again. (I'm following everything on the Dutch news btw)

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Poland readying for refugees.
Moldova and part of Belrusian airspaces closed to civilian flights.
Ukrainian government adviser says second wave of missile strikes underway.
EU discussing "strongest" "harshest package" of sanctions ever considered.
Belgium calling for EU to stop issuing visas to all Russian citizens.
Boris, post-cobra meeting: invasion is "catastrophe for our continent". Truss has summoned Russian ambassador to explain.
Eye witness in Kyiv says black smoke rising from the defence ministry.
NATO beefing up forces on eastern flank.

1645699675122.png

The second verse of 'Keep The Home Fires Burning' (1917) popped into my head, it echoes some of my current thoughts:

Overseas there came a pleading,
"Help a nation in distress."
And we gave our glorious laddies
Honour bade us do no less,
For no gallant son of freedom
To a tyrant's yoke should bend,
And a noble heart must answer
To the sacred call of "Friend."

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I'm more concerned about cyber then nuclear attacks.

I have to admit I wasn't expecting a full scale invasion so I'm a bit taken aback by it myself.
As the saying goes, never believe anything until the Kremlin denies it. They’ve spent months scoffing at suggestions that they planned to invade Ukraine, cheered on by their western apologists in the face of all evidence to the contrary.

Reactions: 13
The sound of the air raid sirens going off in Kyiv completely chilled my soul. The last time they were used was in WWII.

This feels very, very frightening.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Start deporting any russians with links to to the russian government and confiscating all the cash and assets like property ,Londonigrad is swimming in Russian money hit them where it hurts in the wallet.

Reactions: 13
It's so scary that somebody can hold so much power that they can take away the lives of lots of innocent people all for the sake of their own ego.
It's usually said that the moment one invokes Godwin's Law - the mention of Hitler - they lose the argument.
In this case, though, I believe that it is justified. Putin's grand territorial ambitions are an uncanny echo of Adolf Hitler's. The egos, the narcissism, the grandstanding, the threats - a nightmare ripple from 1939 to the present.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
That is the most horrific consequence of any war it is always the innocent people who suffer the worst - whilst the ones who start it all just sit in an office being protected - if they declared the conflict/war and had to physically lead from the front line there would be no wars - I always look at the Olympics and think how is it that all the countries involved - who are supposed to hate each other - just get along ? It is not Joe Bloggs who wants these things at all just power mad madmen

Putin is a bully, to put it lightly. Anyone who intervenes will face ‘great consequences’ is an empty threat I feel - or am I naive to think he would launch missiles on the US/UK etc? The amount of military infrastructure Russia has compared to Ukraine causes huge inequalities.

8C5C28DF-F6A3-4968-A879-CB4B211C91C7.jpeg

eta; the combo of Biden/Johnson doesn’t fill me with any confidence either. What a bleeping mess.

Sitting here with a little boy i longed for, now I'm questioning should I ever have brought him into this horrible world? My heart breaks for Ukraine and everyone xx

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 39
I have many Eastern European friends, close friends from Lithuania, Latvia and Poland, my friend from Poland called her father this morning because it’s Fat Tuesday and was asking him if he had a doughnut yet, she said he just cried about Ukraine and how worried they all are too. As the above poster said, it’s hard today to carry on with things, no matter where we are in the world right now.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.