Ukraine Russia Tensions - Crisis - War

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Scary I thought the same thing, bring back covid and the slower pace of life. I know it had negative effects but the cusp of WW3 is just heartbreaking. The world these days is so small and accessible through internet, travel it’s worrying. Or bring us back to summer 2018!

Reactions: 15
It’s awful isn’t it? Ffs I almost wish for another global pandemic to lock us all down again. I can’t believe we’ve been through this past 2 years and now we are potentially on the cusp of WW3. I’m terrified for the world. Sorry for the deviation from the information being shared here.
Another friend of mine pointed out that the UK, like the EU, is chock-full of military bases; if Johnson drags us into war to help Ukraine cover his own arse for the millions of lies he's told, we're sitting ducks. The Navy and RAF see off Russian incursions into our airspace and seas every other day. This is an excruciating situation in which the young are armed and sent out to die, the old and vulnerable are at the mercy of shells and bombs, civilians are fleeing for their lives in absolute terror - all to bolster one man's ego.
I have to teach a student about WW2 in a few minutes. I'm tempted to tell him just to turn the television on and draw parallels.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
What can the West/NATO do? Seriously?
They move....its not good
They don't....its still not good.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Reports trickling in about a young boy who's been killed in an apartment building during shelling in Kharkiv. Pictures of children weeping over their deceased parents following missile strikes in residential areas of Chuguiv.
Oi, Russia, thought you said you were going for military targets only? Not that I believed it for a second, but, you wankers.

I'm more concerned about cyber then nuclear attacks.

I have to admit I wasn't expecting a full scale invasion so I'm a bit taken aback by it myself.
I've seen several countries warning their citizens and businesses about ensuring cyber security is as good as possible. Not concerning at all... :censored:

I wonder is he sending in the troops? Things move fast in war 😕
Lukashenko has said Belarus will back up Russia in their military operation if needed.
Didn't see that coming. :cautious:

• Sad
Interesting analysis from the Guardian (whose rolling feed is excellent): "Western defence sources have said that they expect Russia to invade on multiple axes" of attack - but the key focus is expected to be the capital Kyiv, which has a population of around 3m. They believe Putin wants to engage in regime change in Kyiv, encircling the city with its military and hoping to oust its President... without engaging in urban warfare."

Reactions: 8
Agree with you that he is popular among certain sections of the public, but have you seen what happens to those who oppose him? They get locked up (see Alexey Navalny who is on trial yet again right now), poisoned, shot, or they mysteriously ‘fall’ out of windows. Protests are brutally broken up and the people are detained in their thousands.
I was thinking about that when I was hanging up washing. I cried a little for people who are simply too scared to oppose him. I just can't bear thinking about the fear in Ukraine though! We are so lucky.

However - Ukraine is not going down without a fight. I fully believe they will kick Russian ass. Wouldn't be the first time Russia lost when it seemed impossible.

Reactions: 9
1645697172291.png

How scary that this should even be necessary. It's sad that this is the world we live in.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
Ukraine has confirmed
- death toll of their soldiers is now at five.
- at least eight (assume civilians) killed by shelling and nine wounded
- approximately 50 Russian soldiers killed, four tanks and six planes destroyed
Russia denying reports about tanks and planes.

Boris addressing the House of Commons at 1215.

View attachment 1084425

View attachment 1084430
Unfortunately in war the information from both sides is unreliable. Only a handful of casualties from an invasion and missile barrage?

My little ones are home on a snow day. We are a military family and Dad is at work. I’ve turned the news off.

I cannot imagine what the people of Ukraine are experiencing right now. The images coming from the areas attacked are heartbreaking.

The parallels with the start of WW2 are very frightening.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 25
Another friend of mine pointed out that the UK, like the EU, is chock-full of military bases; if Johnson drags us into war to help Ukraine cover his own arse for the millions of lies he's told, we're sitting ducks. The Navy and RAF see off Russian incursions into our airspace and seas every other day. This is an excruciating situation in which the young are armed and sent out to die, the old and vulnerable are at the mercy of shells and bombs, civilians are fleeing for their lives in absolute terror - all to bolster one man's ego.
I have to teach a student about WW2 in a few minutes. I'm tempted to tell him just to turn the television on and draw parallels.
I loved history at school, I did it at O level and our teacher was amazing ! Really taught us about how wars started and about propoganda it was amazing. I am scared because I’m watching all of this imagining the history lessons in 50 years.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Qatar has given support to Ukraine.
In addition to Australia, Canada, South Korea and Japan have announced sanctions.
China has told citizens in Ukraine to display the Chinese flag on their cars if they need to drive, otherwise stay home and stock up on supplies. They have yet to advise citizens to leave the country.
From Reuters
1645697547309.png

1645697313831.png

1645697332662.png

I loved history at school, I did it at O level and our teacher was amazing ! Really taught us about how wars started and about propoganda it was amazing. I am scared because I’m watching all of this imagining the history lessons in 50 years.
Well, my student hasn't turned up: perhaps he's glued to the news, as indeed I am. I'm really not in the mood to teach the history of world atrocities when one is unfolding before our eyes...

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Not sure if this is allowed but I watched the news earlier and there was mention of the Association of Ukrainians in Great Britain - on their website they've launched a fundraising page to help source medical and essential supplies for those in Ukraine. https://www.augb.co.uk/

• Heart
Well, my student hasn't turned up: perhaps he's glued to the news, as indeed I am. I'm really not in the mood to teach the history of world atrocities when one is unfolding before our eyes...
"Now tell me how the Axis powers versus the Allies can be reflected in the last 24 hours? Where might you find parallels?"
A bit close for comfort...

1645698068038.png

Ayoki News

Moment an explosion at an Ukrainian arms depot sent rockets flying over the town of Kalinovka in Ukraine's Vinnitsa region. . Follow
@AyokiNews
for more updates

Ayoki News
@AyokiNews

Thousands Of Russian Paratroopers Now Landing In Ukraine For The Ground Invasion

cannot upload the video but thousands of paratroopers are now being sent in 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Qatar has given support to Ukraine.
In addition to Australia, Canada, South Korea and Japan have announced sanctions.
China has told citizens in Ukraine to display the Chinese flag on their cars if they need to drive, otherwise stay home and stock up on supplies. They have yet to advise citizens to leave the country.
From Reuters
View attachment 1084483

View attachment 1084474
View attachment 1084475
Brilliant some really strong countries coming out in support , Japan should rip up the pacifist doctrine and begin rearming to protect themselves they have amazing technology and their people are fearless.

• Heart
I want to preface this by saying that I expect this will sound very silly and childish. I’m only in uni and I haven’t seen very many wars, I want to get my feelings out.

The one thing that keeps going through my mind is “how dare he?” How dare Putin? Who does he think he is, that he is entitled to Ukraine? Who does he think he is, that Russia threatens to invade Ukraine, multiple countries say Russia will be sanctioned for it, and in response he behaves as if that’s unfair? Who does he think he is that he should be able to lay waste to a country and let the bodies pile up simply because he wants to and not be punished for it? How dare he! In the midst of all this tit the world is still reeling through, there has to be a war simply because he can’t keep his hands off something that isn’t his anyway?????!!!!!!

It feels wrong to carry on as normal, you know? To carry on with work for lessons and to do the laundry, but I know as a regular person there’s only so much I can do, and I’ll do what I can, but the power is held within the government (that I haven’t trusted since I became politically aware anyway). It feels rather hopeless.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.