UK Politics & Brexit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If there was a two tier system that may work
Kind of a private NHS where if people can, and want to pay for quicker treatment they can, but the money gets put back into NHS rather some random company. For example if a patient wanted some bloods doing for peace of mind (but not critical) then they could pay £20 for them to be done. Or charge for minor ailment GP appt that should already be seen by pharmacist. I think if NHS owned pharmaceuticals then would help create money. For example people could buy NHS paracetamol, which would bring in so much needed money.

Reactions: 3
Yes, that is ridiculous. I agree.

Not people I know. I've lost too many people because of Dr's incomeptence and failures. I wouldn't trust them with my life. I did say above if I had to live in the UK again, I would only use private which we would have through my husband's job.
Then you are clearly talking from a place of privilege. Of course the NHS saves more than it fails, imagine if everyone had no choice but to go private in the UK, just like in the US there'd be millions without any medical cover

Reactions: 2
Yeah. People from the uk think it is the bees knees but it is so awful. It is one of the worst systems in a first world country. They are so behind on testing etc. The statistics I read are shocking. Yes, the USA is dreadful if you don't have coverage and everyone should have access to Healthcare. But if you have access in the USA, it is one of the best in the world. Superior to the UK, as is Canada. We live overseas now, and it is permananet as far as we are concerned but I have always said to my husband that if we ever went back to the UK, I'd only want to use private Healthcare. After experiencing Healthcare here, I would be scared to go back to the NHS. They are so against testing back home it is unreal and here I can get in to see my Dr on the same or next day. In the UK, it was a 3 week wait. Luckily through my husband's work we would have private coverage.
Yes but not everyone has the benefit of private healthcare.... what if I was to get so sick that I lost my job and couldn’t work?

I remember if being diabolical since I was 13. I am now 27. My experience with it and people I knows has always been absolutely tit. People need to pay more taxes but they refuse to. The NHS will never be funded well unless taxes are higher and higher fees for prescriptions, dentist, optician, etc. My parents have got private coverage in the UK through their work and use that instead.
Also, I’m not sure why you felt the need to laugh at my comment....

Last edited:
I’ve never been into politics but I am hoping and praying that our NHS isn’t privatised and am going to vote Labour because I feel like the Conservatives want to privatise it. For me privatising the NHS would be an awful decision. I have a brain condition, life long, it is stable but i have a tool (think like a pacemaker for the heart bug for the brain) in my head, if it ever fails and I need to have it changed, a private NHS would want so much money (I saw online it was £40000 upwards), it isn’t worth the risk on my life.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I don't think the NHS should ever be privatised, everyone has a right to healthcare. I don't think it will be privatised. Something needs to change, like taxes increasing but most people don't want that either.

Reactions: 1
The NHS needs to be somehow ringfenced and removed from political interference but it’s not in the Tories interest to do that as they’re planning on selling off the more profitable areas 🤬

Reactions: 4
The NHS needs to be somehow ringfenced and removed from political interference but it’s not in the Tories interest to do that as they’re planning on selling off the more profitable areas 🤬
It is certainly being weaponised right now. I wonder if we’d be having the same conversations about it if there wasn’t a general election.

It is certainly being weaponised right now. I wonder if we’d be having the same conversations about it if there wasn’t a general election.
I’m sure we would in the sense that the debate is ongoing, but it wouldn’t be so urgent.

And I totally agree that most of the issues with the NHS would be solved with more funding - the problem isn’t with the core of the system itself. That’s what you hear from anyone who has been working for them for a long time - including in this thread. A lot of it comes down to staff being so terribly over worked. There needs to be more hospitals, they need to bring back nurses grants (unbelievable that those were cut).
But a lot of bad experiences are anecdotal too. I know someone who had an operation privately and had an awful experience - down to them getting her name wrong repeatedly. But I would use that story to attack private healthcare, and I think anyone with that option should of course use it. Anything to take the strain off. As for waiting for GP appointments, that’s usually just for non urgent. Most surgeries you can call on the day and get an appointment the same day for something urgent.

I shudder to imagine the American system. I know no one is advocating that but it’s truely terrible. Without insurance you can be charged hundreds of dollars if you collapse in the street and an ambulance assists you ! Or if you have a baby! The prices are insane, it’s somethung like 90 dollars for a paracetamol. Health care should never be seen as a money making opportunity (at least not the dominant system) It’s revolting the power the pharmaceutical companies hold.

Reactions: 7
I shudder to imagine the American system. I know no one is advocating that but it’s truely terrible. Without insurance you can be charged hundreds of dollars if you collapse in the street and an ambulance assists you ! Or if you have a baby! The prices are insane, it’s somethung like 90 dollars for a paracetamol. Health care should never be seen as a money making opportunity (at least not the dominant system) It’s revolting the power the pharmaceutical companies hold.
The worst thing for me is treatment after a violent sexual assault is a LOT of money.

The worst thing for me is treatment after a violent sexual assault is a LOT of money.
God it never even occurred to me. Imagine this being something you charge for. And not only charge, these aren’t exactly cost prices... imagine making a profit out of rape. The more rapes, the more profit.

Yel

It's all a bit ridiculous this Corby queen's speach stuff. Isn't there snippets of the queen's speach shown on the news before it's broadcast? So the news might be on in the background but he never pays attention.

There's real issues out there

Reactions: 1
It's all a bit ridiculous this Corby queen's speach stuff. Isn't there snippets of the queen's speach shown on the news before it's broadcast? So the news might be on in the background but he never pays attention.

There's real issues out there
He cannot do right for doing wrong.
The most ridiculous was Corbyn being slated for being asleep on a train during the Rugby world cup final?

Everything he does it scrutinised and criticised whereas BoJo gets away with doing whatever he pleases. I don't recall seeing anyone demand apologies from Boris for Islamaphobic and homophobic slurs in every single interview he does

He cannot do right for doing wrong.
The most ridiculous was Corbyn being slated for being asleep on a train during the Rugby world cup final?

Everything he does it scrutinised and criticised whereas BoJo gets away with doing whatever he pleases. I don't recall seeing anyone demand apologies from Boris for Islamaphobic and homophobic slurs in every single interview he does
I agree. The British press rn is so damaging for our country and influencing people’s beliefs

Reactions: 3
I agree. The British press rn is so damaging for our country and influencing people’s beliefs
I wish more people would stop and think why the right-wing billionaire-owned British press would be trying to turn people against Jeremy Corbyn

• Heart
It's not hundreds of dollars, it's more like thousands of dollars. People in America have gone bankrupt because of their medical bills (some bills reaching millions of dollars easily--no joke).

• Sad
Hope this is okay to post. I’ve searched and can’t find one.
I’m going to vote next week first time age 29 😣 I hate our government. Is anyone else voting. Who are you choosing and for what reasons?
Really interested in this as I’ve been following for a while,

Admin please delete if not allowed.

I’m going to vote next week first time age 29 😣 I hate our government. Is anyone else voting. Who are you choosing and for what reasons?

How comes you've never voted before?

Well done for deciding to go and vote! There is such a small difference between parties in some constituencies that literally every vote counts

I'm voting Labour. I'm just a normal, working person who rents my home, lives payday to payday (not great, I know) and a lot of labour policies will help make my life a bit easier and seriously help people who are less fortunate than me. Also, they're aiming to tackle things that I think are extremely important. Some of their policies and ideas that are relevant to my life/important to me are:
- more funding for NHS (so so important)
- not allowing the NHS to be sold off
- a people's vote on brexit
- free prescriptions for everyone
- battling rail fare increases
- combating poverty and food bank usage
- fair minimum wage and stable jobs (no zero hour contracts)
- better work/life balance (shorter working week hours, already in place in a lot of European countries)
- to help end the homelessness crisis in 5 years
- green industrial revolution
- ending austerity

I live in Liverpool where 1 in 3 children live in poverty, there is a huge homeless problem and I see the damaging effects of 10 years of the Tory government on a daily basis.

My advice would be to read the manifestos, research the policies, decide what is important for you individually and vote for the party that will benefit your everyday life most or benefit the most vulnerable in society. Also, don't pay attention to newspapers and the media as there is a LOT of bias. And don't get drawn into debates about the party leaders - we are voting for policies not an individual popularity contest (it's not I'm a celeb lol). Also, a party doesn't need to be perfect - you may not agree with every single policy but it's important you still support the party that as closely represents your own needs as much as possible.

Hope this helps!

• Heart
Reactions: 10