UK Politics & Brexit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No party is ever going to face the truth, we can't keep tax at it's current level and expect an NHS that's always free at the point of use. With the boomers retiring, dementia and obesity it's a ticking time bomb.

Either need to charge at the point of use unless you can't afford it (like France or Germany do that get a much better health service) or increase tax to cover it. The NHS really isn't the envy of the world, the third world maybe and lots of other countries have a far superior health service.

State pensions and the triple lock is another huge that's massively unaffordable, but likewise it's not being dealt with
Don’t think it is fair to charge at the point of use, and that goes against the whole ethos of the NHS. I also don’t think it’s right to charge people when others can get it for free. I say raise taxes for the rich! We don’t need billionaires in society...

Reactions: 5
Don’t think it is fair to charge at the point of use, and that goes against the whole ethos of the NHS. I also don’t think it’s right to charge people when others can get it for free. I say raise taxes for the rich! We don’t need billionaires in society...
Billionaires don't pay any tax! But in our globalised world it's hard to do much about that.

Already More than 25% of all income tax revenue is paid by the top 1% of taxpayers, i.e. taxpayers with the highest incomes and 90% of all income tax revenue is paid by the top 50% - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_the_United_Kingdom so high earners aren't low hanging fruit ready to pick.

Either tax needs increase or people need to pay directly, the current model of the NHS isn't sustainable. I'd look to other European systems that have a far higher satisfaction rate than the NHS for reforms, but people need to get over it always being free at the point of use. Sure poor people shouldn't have to pay, but I don't see anything wrong with those that can afford to contribute.

Billionaires don't pay any tax! But in our globalised world it's hard to do much about that.

Already More than 25% of all income tax revenue is paid by the top 1% of taxpayers, i.e. taxpayers with the highest incomes and 90% of all income tax revenue is paid by the top 50% - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_the_United_Kingdom so high earners aren't low hanging fruit ready to pick.

Either tax needs increase or people need to pay directly, the current model of the NHS isn't sustainable. I'd look to other European systems that have a far higher satisfaction rate than the NHS for reforms, but people need to get over it always being free at the point of use. Sure poor people shouldn't have to pay, but I don't see anything wrong with those that can afford to contribute.
I disagree... I for one wouldn’t be happy with paying when I pay tax and NI. It should just be free for everyone at the point of use. I agree it is unsustainable, but there are loads of other things that can be done

I disagree... I for one wouldn’t be happy with paying when I pay tax and NI. It should just be free for everyone at the point of use. I agree it is unsustainable, but there are loads of other things that can be done
But what if tax and NI isn't enough to cover it? As in my last post, tax needs to rise or people need to be charged. It doesn't really matter what collection method someone is in favour of as they all come back to charging people more.

That's the big problem with boomers, they'll go on about they've always paid their tax but estimates suggest they will take out far more than they paid in.

One government minister who understands the trend is David Willetts. In his book on the subject, he reckons that the average boomer will get 118% more in benefits and services over the course of their lives than they have paid in taxes.

Reactions: 1
But what if tax and NI isn't enough to cover it? As in my last post, tax needs to rise or people need to be charged. It doesn't really matter what collection method someone is in favour of as they all come back to charging people more.

That's the big problem with boomers, they'll go on about they've always paid their tax but estimates suggest they will take out far more than they paid in.
No no no no. Charging people for accessing NHS? That is basically an American system!

No no no no. Charging people for accessing NHS? That is basically an American system!
It's not, at all. It's like just about every other health care system in Europe, and most of those score way better in terms of satisfaction and results than the NHS.

So many Brits see it as a binary choice of either the NHS or the worst system out there; the US system. I doubt any brit will go to France or Germany and experience their system then think the NHS is better. Über den Tellerand schauen!

It's not, at all. It's like just about every other health care system in Europe, and most of those score way better in terms of satisfaction and results than the NHS.

So many Brits see it as a binary choice of either the NHS or the worst system out there; the US system. I doubt any brit will go to France or Germany and experience their system then think the NHS is better. Über den Tellerand schauen!
It really does depend on what factors you are basing what country has the best healthcare system on. I don’t doubt that we need to see reforms in the NHS, and that we can learn from other countries.

No party is ever going to face the truth, we can't keep tax at it's current level and expect an NHS that's always free at the point of use. With the boomers retiring, dementia and obesity it's a ticking time bomb.

Either need to charge at the point of use unless you can't afford it (like France or Germany do that get a much better health service) or increase tax to cover it. The NHS really isn't the envy of the world, the third world maybe and lots of other countries have a far superior health service.

State pensions and the triple lock is another huge that's massively unaffordable, but likewise it's not being dealt with
Yeah. I am always flabbergasted when people spout on about how good the NHS is. It is shite. I know too many people who have died because drs have dismissed them or they haven't been tested.

Granted, the US healthcare system is AWFUL if you do not have good insurance. But if you have decent insurance through work, they have some of the best healthcare in the world.
Same with Canada. They have higher fees for some things like dentist, etc, and fees for foreigners that need to use the system and it is SO much better than NHS. I never realised until I moved away from the UK, that it isn't normal for doctors to be dismissive and act like you're an idiot.

Yes, Canada's system is much like Franch or Germany. Somewhere in the middle and a million times better. The UK needs to wake up.

Reactions: 2
I feel like this is going to be a rough month, none of us are likely to come out the other end without feeling utterly jaded. I'm exhausted already.

Reactions: 4
Isn’t the thought petrifying?! I would be happy paying more tax if it wasn’t going towards corrupt MPs 10% salary increases year on year meanwhile people dying......

I think people are completely in denial about how important the NHS is not only to the people in our country but also what it means towards the culture of being British. I live in London so maybe my view is slightly skewed but I think us brits have great pride in our NHS....

I work within the NHS and have for the last 18yrs, and grew up with both of my parents working for the NHS and I have never seen things as dire as they are right now. I am so anxious about how bad the winter will be if the Tories get in again (which I think they will) - I genuinely don’t see how it will survive. And it will be the elderly and working poor having to choose between paying for food and paying for medical care, like it was before the NHS - people will die.

Reactions: 3
Yeah. I am always flabbergasted when people spout on about how good the NHS is. It is shite. I know too many people who have died because drs have dismissed them or they haven't been tested.

Granted, the US healthcare system is AWFUL if you do not have good insurance. But if you have decent insurance through work, they have some of the best healthcare in the world.
Same with Canada. They have higher fees for some things like dentist, etc, and fees for foreigners that need to use the system and it is SO much better than NHS. I never realised until I moved away from the UK, that it isn't normal for doctors to be dismissive and act like you're an idiot.

Yes, Canada's system is much like Franch or Germany. Somewhere in the middle and a million times better. The UK needs to wake up.
It's really depressing how ininformed most Brits are about the NHS. Kinda understandable if you've never had any experience of other health care systems and how much it's politicised.

It could be so much better and literally save lives but people refuse to accept changes to an outdated system that's failing.

I really don't want to get old in the UK because the heath care system is so second rate.

The NHS is not 'shite', it's underfunded. In the US insurance companies frequently don't pay out for emergency procedures and leave people bankrupt or in debt for life. In theory there is NO better system than the NHS, it's just been neglected and needs a cash injection of a crazy proportion.

Reactions: 9
The NHS is not 'shite', it's underfunded. In the US insurance companies frequently don't pay out for emergency procedures and leave people bankrupt or in debt for life. In theory there is NO better system than the NHS, it's just been neglected and needs a cash injection of a crazy proportion.
Yes!
People really do NOT appreciate what they have got! Not to mention all of the NHS workers that work hard... if people can afford it, I don’t understand why they don’t just go private? It’s good that you’ve got the option..

• Haha
Yes!
People really do NOT appreciate what they have got! Not to mention all of the NHS workers that work hard... if people can afford it, I don’t understand why they don’t just go private? It’s good that you’ve got the option..
I remember if being diabolical since I was 13. I am now 27. My experience with it and people I knows has always been absolutely tit. People need to pay more taxes but they refuse to. The NHS will never be funded well unless taxes are higher and higher fees for prescriptions, dentist, optician, etc. My parents have got private coverage in the UK through their work and use that instead.

Why oh why oh why can't we introduce a system like New Zealand for health care? It certainly stops people taking the piss out of the health system. If people had to pay for missed appointments and fined for going to A&E for a minor thing, they might thing twice about wasting the NHS's time. I . manage a team of 20-30 something year olds, and the amount who seem to think the NHS is a bottomless pit there to serve their hypochondria. One of my team get recurring tummy ache every six months or something (tummy ache!!!) so now he's getting a prescription for a natural herbal tablet from the GP apparently and if that doesn't work, he'll get dietary advice and a colonoscopy. God help him if he were female and had to suffer period pain and the monthly stomach issues we all have that go with it!
I know a girl who is a GP and yesterday over half of her appointments were people coming in with a cough or cold - both of which don't need a GP visit and can be treated at home ! so frustrating. even the NHS website tells you how to treat a cough/cold/flu at home

It's really depressing how ininformed most Brits are about the NHS. Kinda understandable if you've never had any experience of other health care systems and how much it's politicised.

It could be so much better and literally save lives but people refuse to accept changes to an outdated system that's failing.

I really don't want to get old in the UK because the heath care system is so second rate.
Yeah. People from the uk think it is the bees knees but it is so awful. It is one of the worst systems in a first world country. They are so behind on testing etc. The statistics I read are shocking. Yes, the USA is dreadful if you don't have coverage and everyone should have access to Healthcare. But if you have access in the USA, it is one of the best in the world. Superior to the UK, as is Canada. We live overseas now, and it is permananet as far as we are concerned but I have always said to my husband that if we ever went back to the UK, I'd only want to use private Healthcare. After experiencing Healthcare here, I would be scared to go back to the NHS. They are so against testing back home it is unreal and here I can get in to see my Dr on the same or next day. In the UK, it was a 3 week wait. Luckily through my husband's work we would have private coverage.

I also think GP's should refuse to prescribe over the counter pain such a paracetemol and ibuprofen (for people who get free prescriptions) as you can literally buy packs for 29p in shops - there is no need for the NHS to be covering the cost of these

The NHS saves significantly more people than it fails.

If you don’t like it, pay for private healthcare and free up some of its usage 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 11
I also think GP's should refuse to prescribe over the counter pain such a paracetemol and ibuprofen (for people who get free prescriptions) as you can literally buy packs for 29p in shops - there is no need for the NHS to be covering the cost of these
Yes, that is ridiculous. I agree.

The NHS saves significantly more people than it fails.

If you don’t like it, pay for private healthcare and free up some of its usage 🤷🏻‍♀️
Not people I know. I've lost too many people because of Dr's incomeptence and failures. I wouldn't trust them with my life. I did say above if I had to live in the UK again, I would only use private which we would have through my husband's job.