UK Politics & Brexit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

I do love elections and all the ideas floated around. No surprise labour are gaining as Torys are falling, things are looking worse for them this time around.

Time to start planning what I'll be eating on election night to help me stay awake :D

Labour calls for a ban on PRIVATE JETS by 2025 saying the super-rich are allowed to 'trash the climate'
  • Shadow transport secretary Andy McDonald attacked global billionaires
  • He said they were allowed to 'trash the climate' with others bearing the brunt
  • New report calls for a ban on fossil-fuelled aircraft private jets using UK airports

With that dimwit HRH prince Andrew and mod I'd forgotten about the election

Anyone watching the debate? It's background noise but maybe a few interesting bits

How can they both be offering so much spending and saying austerity is over when public debt as a percentage of GDP has been increasing?
Lope-Hernan-Chacon-read-UK-National-Debt.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
With that dimwit HRH prince Andrew and mod I'd forgotten about the election

Anyone watching the debate? It's background noise but maybe a few interesting bits

How can they both be offering so much spending and saying austerity is over when public debt as a percentage of GDP has been increasing?
View attachment 58524
I watched it! Who did you think did better?

Obviously the BBC News said BJ 😂

How can Corbyn not just answer the bloody question - not a tory just a very frustrated voter

I have been eligible to vote for more years than i care to remember and i have never been more clueless as to where to put my tick in the box.

Reactions: 2
How can Corbyn not just answer the bloody question - not a tory just a very frustrated voter

I have been eligible to vote for more years than i care to remember and i have never been more clueless as to where to put my tick in the box.
I know, he was so ridiculous with that. He would have known he would be asked that, what point is he trying to make? Why couldn’t he surprise his critics with a definite answer ? Instead he just gave them ammunition - every single party in their response attacked him over that. It’s so pathetic.

What a lacklustre debate it was. I was quietly hoping for a “I agree with Nick” iconic moment but wasn’t surprised it didn’t come. The audience were laughing at them for goodness sake.

As for deciding who to vote for, do you live in an at all marginal constituency? I am in one of the safest Labour seats in the country and my vote is basically useless. The first past the post voting system feels so ineffective these days. But if we had proportional voting fringe parties like the Brexit party would pick up a worrying number of seats so I don’t support that either. Time to bring up the debate for a third way again...

I think the whole idea is that Corbyn wants to put the decision to the British people to leave or remain so there is no point campaigning for either as he will carry out whatever the people decide

Reactions: 1
The whole thing was terrible, just short answers and not any time for detail. It really didn't work. I'd prefer it to be longer without trying to stick to a TV schedule. I ended up watching im a celeb afterwards because I was so bored.

Really didn't like BJ saying the institution of the royal family is beyond reproach. And JC's pound shop glasses falling all over the place were annoying.

The issues I really want from a GE are

* A second elected second chamber
* Proportional representation
* State pension linked to Life Expectancy, as public spending is way too high while essential services are cut back

All this extra spending they are all promising despite the national debt increasing during the so called austerity.

The lib Dems have just launched their manifesto, making it all about helping struggling families. I'm probably biased but I'm fed up of hearing about helping hard working families, why not help everyone that needs it regardless of if they've decided to have children or not.

Single people do seem way more likely to fall into the cracks into society because families are better looked after. I've been poor, living on JSA and having to spend lots of the £68 JSA just on bus fares (couldn't even buy a week ticket as it's 4 different bus companies for different locations!) all while they are full of pensioners that didn't pay even though most of them could. The system has so many failings. I could go on with this unpopular rant but I won't 🤪

Reactions: 4
The whole thing was terrible, just short answers and not any time for detail. It really didn't work. I'd prefer it to be longer without trying to stick to a TV schedule. I ended up watching im a celeb afterwards because I was so bored.

Really didn't like BJ saying the institution of the royal family is beyond reproach. And JC's pound shop glasses falling all over the place were annoying.

The issues I really want from a GE are

* A second elected second chamber
* Proportional representation
* State pension linked to Life Expectancy, as public spending is way too high while essential services are cut back

All this extra spending they are all promising despite the national debt increasing during the so called austerity.

The lib Dems have just launched their manifesto, making it all about helping struggling families. I'm probably biased but I'm fed up of hearing about helping hard working families, why not help everyone that needs it regardless of if they've decided to have children or not.

Single people do seem way more likely to fall into the cracks into society because families are better looked after. I've been poor, living on JSA and having to spend lots of the £68 JSA just on bus fares (couldn't even buy a week ticket as it's 4 different bus companies for different locations!) all while they are full of pensioners that didn't pay even though most of them could. The system has so many failings. I could go on with this unpopular rant but I won't 🤪
I completely agree re the struggles of single people vs families. If you look at countries like Sweden, their welfare system is universal and everyone has access to things such as free university. Nordic countries also have shorter working weeks than us (around 32-35 hours full time) but labour is laughed at for wanting the same for this country to improve work/life balance and mental health.

The problem in the UK I find is that the welfare system has a criteria to receive a lot of benefits eg have to be unemployed, have a child (or be over 60 for free bus travel!). I think this creates a divide amongst the working class and it is usually single people working poorly paid jobs that struggle the most cause they are not entitled to a lot of benefits (if any).

My hope is that Labour will try and help these people rather than continuing with the current welfare system. Making prescriptions free for everyone is already a step in the right direction, I take daily medication and this will help me on days when I need a repeat prescription and I’m skint. It’s already free for everyone in scotland and Wales. Also by increasing minimum wage and axeing zero hour contracts to help these people who work and still find it difficult to make ends meet.

Sorry to get political lol just something I feel strongly about!

Not going sound popular I would like winter fuel allowance and bus pass means tested considering the unequal child benefit debacle 2 parents earn 49k keep one parent goes over 50k and loses.

As a sahm I would like more affordable childcare so I could return to work.
I think scrapping salary childcare vouchers for free 30hours nursery was a mistake.
Childcare goes beyond nursery.
Childcare vouchers go up to age 12 and coukd be used breakfast/ after school clubs holiday clubs to enable parents to work as they get 18 weeks holiday a year off school.
It gets much tricker as most employers offer 5 to 6 weeks holiday a year.

I thought the old child trust value labour policy and maternity grant was good as statutory maternity pay is so low.
Free 15 hours from 2.5 for all as think it's great nursery education and term after 3rd birthday seems too late as someone get a year before reception and other kids get 2 years.

Married couples allowance again I don't think should be means tested I should be able give my husband my tax allowance.
I think job seekers and school children should get free bus travel as some people really want a job and have to turn up to job centres or council offices far away from their homes.
Education is compulsory yet school bus can be 600 a year plus per child.
Uniform costs need to be capped as academies are ripping off parents .

A great environmental tax would give some money if families only operate 1 car.
Defiantly improve and invest in public transport make it cheaper.
Then less people use their cars..it's seems to be all stick and no carrot with most parties 're environment.
I hate paper straws.

The NHS I don't know how to solve.
I value it a lot but wonder if there's a 3rd way not like USA insurance model.
My son gets speech therapy and they taken over by sirona health and they awful.
It doesn't seem to matter how much we invest in NHS never seems enough.
Logically year on year we need to invest more.
More work friendly hours or private cheap gp surgeries might ease the pressure on regular gp surgeries.
With rising population and aging population and inadequate social care NHS needs more and more investment each year.

Housing stop giving developers all the land.
We don't have hurricanes.
Maybe have a hybrid between social and private housing where government provide land and buyers can buy 100k kit wood houses.
Don't allow companies or private landlords to have empty houses or land grab
Tax holiday homes heavily .
Scrap housing associations and go back to council run homes as that model seems to have failed so many.

Invest more in mental health.
Better financial support for single adults on low income as they stand very little chance if affordable social housing.
Maybe private rents should be capped to cost of mortgage or 20% above as it's crazy costs here 1000 plus for ex council 2 bed per calender month.

Reactions: 5
The Tory's would have to do something very bad to not walk this with a 40-50 seat majority.

This waspi women stuff makes me rage!

I think this creates a divide amongst the working class and it is usually single people working poorly paid jobs that struggle the most cause they are not entitled to a lot of benefits (if any).
Exactly this, someone full time on nmw that's single can really be struggling. But someone doing the same job part time with children can get alot of topups, even when the children are at secondary school. Creates a divide.

Really don’t know what the outcome will be, but I’ve got a feeling Conservatives will swing it because other voters will be mainly torn between Labour and Lib Dem, but that is just my opinion of course.

I would like a change from a Tory government. They seem to take care of businesses and the rich. I think more needs to be done about large corporations dodging tax, and not doing enough about the environment. Agree that single people seem to be most screwed. But I’d also argue that middle classes are the worst off.... we are the ones that don’t qualify for any hand outs, and don’t always have money given to us from family or inheritance either. Very squeezed.

The NHS I don't know how to solve.
I value it a lot but wonder if there's a 3rd way not like USA insurance model.
My son gets speech therapy and they taken over by sirona health and they awful.
It doesn't seem to matter how much we invest in NHS never seems enough.
Logically year on year we need to invest more.
More work friendly hours or private cheap gp surgeries might ease the pressure on regular gp surgeries.
With rising population and aging population and inadequate social care NHS needs more and more investment each year.
Why oh why oh why can't we introduce a system like New Zealand for health care? It certainly stops people taking the piss out of the health system. If people had to pay for missed appointments and fined for going to A&E for a minor thing, they might thing twice about wasting the NHS's time. I . manage a team of 20-30 something year olds, and the amount who seem to think the NHS is a bottomless pit there to serve their hypochondria. One of my team get recurring tummy ache every six months or something (tummy ache!!!) so now he's getting a prescription for a natural herbal tablet from the GP apparently and if that doesn't work, he'll get dietary advice and a colonoscopy. God help him if he were female and had to suffer period pain and the monthly stomach issues we all have that go with it!

Reactions: 6
Why oh why oh why can't we introduce a system like New Zealand for health care? It certainly stops people taking the piss out of the health system. If people had to pay for missed appointments and fined for going to A&E for a minor thing, they might thing twice about wasting the NHS's time. I . manage a team of 20-30 something year olds, and the amount who seem to think the NHS is a bottomless pit there to serve their hypochondria. One of my team get recurring tummy ache every six months or something (tummy ache!!!) so now he's getting a prescription for a natural herbal tablet from the GP apparently and if that doesn't work, he'll get dietary advice and a colonoscopy. God help him if he were female and had to suffer period pain and the monthly stomach issues we all have that go with it!
Wtf!

I agree... can you tell me more about the healthcare system in NZ? How does it work?

In Canada, we have a slightly different system and it works well, at least where I live. I am from the UK and my experience with the NHS and people that I know has been atrocious.

Here, going to the Dr, getting blood tests, going to the hospital, illness treatments, etc, is "covered" by the government. You must have a valid Canadian health card, which is available to any Canadian residents. People that come from overseas have to pay to see the Dr. I had to go to a walk-in once before I had residency and paid $200, which I think is fair as I wasn't yet a resident. If you don't have coverage, an ambulance costs $400. But, remember all residents automatically have basic coverage so it would most likely be someone on vacation if it happened which is what travel insurance is for.

Going to the dentist, optician etc costs a lot more. Most people will either have insurance through their work or pay for insurance themselves. I was at the dentist this year and have 100% coverage which isn't common. If I didn't have my coverage, it would have cost me $2,000 for a few cleans and some fillings.

We do pay more taxes as well. Where I live, there is also the option for private. So we have public and private. My SO got a private MRI because he had a problem and the wait time would have been quite long, lucky he did as he needed surgery urgently otherwise he would have ended up paralysed. Most people don't use the private system but it is there. The public system is still amazing though and I have never felt dismissed as I did in the NHS. They are also so for preventative testing where I found people on the NHS would hesitate to even send you for a blood test.

I would say the way Canda does it is inbetween the NHS and USA way and it works very well.

Wtf!

I agree... can you tell me more about the healthcare system in NZ? How does it work?
Have a look at this. It explains the basics.

Under the state healthcare scheme, a flat rate is levied for each visit to a doctor, irrespective of the nature of the visit. The basic consultation fee is from $45 to $55 and visits at night and weekends cost $10 to $15 extra. Visits to a GP are subsidised by $15 for children aged 6-17 and by $35 for children under six. Some GPs waive the fee for treating children under six.

Adults who visit the doctor often or who receive social benefits receive a $15 subsidy. If you have a Community Services Card, a doctor’s visit costs $15 to $20 for an adult and around $10 for a child over five. If you need to visit the doctor frequently (at least 12 times a year), you can apply for a High Use Health Card from your doctor, which entitles you to the same reductions as a CSC.

I lived there for 3 years and if I had a pre-existing condition I would have had to pay for it or head back to the UK to have work done on the NHS. If I had an accident there, I would be covered under their AC scheme, the money wouldn't come directly from their health system, which also means compensation for injury is heavily controlled by them too. Most inpatient hospital treatment there is free outpatient treatment isn't. The links above explain it better than I can! They just have much better control over it.....

Forgot to say, they also have a policy around emergency services. Charges for certain ambulances (Not in an emergency) and also if I remember rightly, fire engines fined for coming on a call out which was deemed unnecessary and if it happened 3 times in a year the address would be blacklisted... one of the guys at my work got in a lot of trouble for setting off the fire alarm in the kitchen! Everyone is really more careful because of it!

Under the state healthcare scheme, a flat rate is levied for each visit to a doctor, irrespective of the nature of the visit. The basic consultation fee is from $45 to $55 and visits at night and weekends cost $10 to $15 extra. Visits to a GP are subsidised by $15 for children aged 6-17 and by $35 for children under six. Some GPs waive the fee for treating children under six.

Adults who visit the doctor often or who receive social benefits receive a $15 subsidy. If you have a Community Services Card, a doctor’s visit costs $15 to $20 for an adult and around $10 for a child over five. If you need to visit the doctor frequently (at least 12 times a year), you can apply for a High Use Health Card from your doctor, which entitles you to the same reductions as a CSC.

I lived there for 3 years and if I had a pre-existing condition I would have had to pay for it or head back to the UK to have work done on the NHS. If I had an accident there, I would be covered under their AC scheme, the money wouldn't come directly from their health system, which also means compensation for injury is heavily controlled by them too. Most inpatient hospital treatment there is free outpatient treatment isn't. The links above explain it better than I can! They just have much better control over it.....

Forgot to say, they also have a policy around emergency services. Charges for certain ambulances (Not in an emergency) and also if I remember rightly, fire engines fined for coming on a call out which was deemed unnecessary and if it happened 3 times in a year the address would be blacklisted... one of the guys at my work got in a lot of trouble for setting off the fire alarm in the kitchen! Everyone is really more careful because of it!
Here, you get fined if you have false alarms too.

There should absolutely not be a basic consultation fee in the UK, some people can't get by as is and a trip to the doctors would become a luxury they'd have to forgo. Fines for not turning up to appointments, sure, but charging I can't agree with.

There should absolutely not be a basic consultation fee in the UK, some people can't get by as is and a trip to the doctors would become a luxury they'd have to forgo. Fines for not turning up to appointments, sure, but charging I can't agree with.
Definitely agree with charges for failing to turn up if there isn’t a good reason. I work for NHS Therapy Services, and the amount of patients who do not attend is shocking for a service that is so in need.

No party is ever going to face the truth, we can't keep tax at it's current level and expect an NHS that's always free at the point of use. With the boomers retiring, dementia and obesity it's a ticking time bomb.

Either need to charge at the point of use unless you can't afford it (like France or Germany do that get a much better health service) or increase tax to cover it. The NHS really isn't the envy of the world, the third world maybe and lots of other countries have a far superior health service.

State pensions and the triple lock is another huge that's massively unaffordable, but likewise it's not being dealt with