UK Politics #7

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Are you going to continue voting Tory even though the tax burden is at its highest in 70 years and you want to keep as much of your money as possible?
Oh they don't mind it going to corrupt Tory party cronies and to pay for their disastrous economic policies just as long as those 'benefit scroungers' are made to suffer.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Are you going to continue voting Tory even though the tax burden is at its highest in 70 years and you want to keep as much of your money as possible?
Yes, because I’d be losing even more money if I voted Labour - wait until Starmer gets in and there’s an increase in all the stealth taxes that he’s not telling you about in the manifesto.

We certainly need a better and more efficient working NHS, including social care, but I don’t agree with paying for everyone’s children’s breakfasts.
Those that do have the money, should most certainly pay for private healthcare too, and reduce the burden on the NHS.

Why are you anti immigration? Again, genuinely interested @RobinsHood interesting name as he famously took from the rich to give to the poor
I’m anti illegal immigration, sorry that was not clear.

And don’t read too much into my user name, it’s only because I’m from Nottingham 🤣

Yes, because I’d be losing even more money if I voted Labour - wait until Starmer gets in and there’s an increase in all the stealth taxes that he’s not telling you about in the manifesto.

We certainly need a better and more efficient working NHS, including social care, but I don’t agree with paying for everyone’s children’s breakfasts.
Those that do have the money, should most certainly pay for private healthcare too, and reduce the burden on the NHS.

And don’t read too much into my user name, it’s only because I’m from Nottingham 🤣
What about when the Tories wasted £10bn on unused Covid PPE. I guess because you are still voting for them it implies you endorse that? It's much more than the £365 million it will cost for free school breakfasts.

Doesn't seem to me that Labour are the wasteful party here.

I didn't agree with Sir Kier's comment regarding his embarrasment of having a 'threadbare carpet'. I was brought up (for right or wrong) being proud of where I came from and who I was. I grew up in a house with lino ffs! If someone came over and had a problem with that I'd tell them to duck off.

Obviously I won't vote Tory, but Sir Keir (or his advisors) do absolutely duck all for me.

Reactions: 4
... Those that do have the money, should most certainly pay for private healthcare too, and reduce the burden on the NHS.
At what level of income or savings should people have to pay for private healthcare and be refused access to the NHS?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I was brought up (for right or wrong) being proud of where I came from and who I was. I grew up in a house with lino ffs! If someone came over and had a problem with that I'd tell them to duck off.
But it's not about being brought up to be proud of it

Your friends may not even care that much that your house isn't as good as theirs or whatever, it's more that you are insecure and aware of these things and the way you could be viewed

Reactions: 3
I didn't agree with Sir Kier's comment regarding his embarrasment of having a 'threadbare carpet'. I was brought up (for right or wrong) being proud of where I came from and who I was. I grew up in a house with lino ffs! If someone came over and had a problem with that I'd tell them to duck off.

Obviously I won't vote Tory, but Sir Keir (or his advisors) do absolutely duck all for me.
I can't really remember being embarrassed to have my mates come to my house because we all lived in pretty much the same conditions and yes that included lino on the floor. Can't say I felt proud about it either. It was just a fact of life. Still perhaps Starmer feels that he has to keep hammering that message because the other day I read about an interview with someone who said they wouldn't vote for him because his parents "lived in a castle".

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I can't really remember being embarrassed to have my mates come to my house because we all lived in pretty much the same conditions and yes that included lino on the floor. Can't say I felt proud about it either. It was just a fact of life. Still perhaps Starmer feels that he has to keep hammering that message because the other day I read about an interview with someone who said they wouldn't vote for him because his parents "lived in a castle".
Probably think they had jousting competitions too. Because he’s a ‘sir’ and all that

• Haha
I heard momentum are waiting in the wings.........
For people who want to reverse 'Brexit', and I hear them and I don't necessarily disagree, the earliest you can hope for is a second Labour term, about 5 or 6 years. It's pointless to bang on about it right now.

The first thing you learn if you have ever had the misfortune to study politics in further education is this: The Left always fragment. Once Labour get in it'll be chaos. Do I care? No, not really because as a white working-class straight bloke nothing will ever improve for me whoever is in power. Am I bitter? NO. I'm past being angry and upset ... :)

Reactions: 8
I thought Nigel performed the best in last night’s debate - he’s the only one that sounds genuinely passionate and not scripted, plus he does have a proven track record! I can totally see how and why Reform are doing so well.

The Tories are imploding, and Rishi seems to be running the most badly advised campaign ever, he doesn’t seem to have much support? It seems like his advisors must hate him (!)

Starmer is so boring and not been completely honest about spending, I feel their manifesto is very vague and doesn’t touch on all areas of public spending- ITV said there’s a 20bn shortfall that’s not been addressed. Plus, imagine Angela Rayner representing us on an international stage, embarrassing!

Interested to hear other people’s thoughts…I know a lot of people will not agree with me 😆

I agree with you entirely. If (well I think they will) Labour get in it will be sooo embarrassing. They can't even write a manifesto to cover all important issues. They don't understand finances (according to many journalists, the media, Jeremy Hunt, other politicians, and many others). They refuse to answer questions, because they don't understand how to.

People think the country's in a bad way now, oh lordy wait another six to twelve months, and we'll be completely on our knees.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

Hard disagree. Private healthcare in this country is nowhere near good enough for it to be a viable option for anything other than basic orthopaedics and musculoskeletal conditions. I've personally seen and treated far too many people who've gone private for an obscure cancer treatment because they've been told that it's highly likely to save their life (oh by the way it'll cost you 80k) and then it doesn't and they end up in an NHS bed far worse off than if they hadn't had the treatment (which wasn't recommended by the NHS because it doesn't work).

Private mental health in this country is bleeping disgusting in many places, nursing homes (all private, even the NHS funded ones have some elements of privatisation) are not fit for purpose. The answer isn't to strengthen the private sector and create a barrier to entry for healthcare like America has but to responsibly fund the NHS and grant free access for those who need it.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I think as long uk infrastructure will be let done and people will keep on being paid peanuts, nothing will change. Real salaries didn't increase much the last 15 years. It's not normal that in some cases working people need benefits or use foodbanks in order to survive.

The courts are overloaded, there isn't enough police officers, the NHS has been sinking the last 10 years, public transports are useless and way too expensive, there isn't enough staff in state schools, social services cannot protect vulnerable people like children from abuse, asylum seekers cases cannot be processed, councils are indebted and cannot meaningfully do their job and there isn't enough affordable housing. The austerity policies killed the fabric of a functioning UK and mostly benefited the ultra welathy people. Inequalities have slowly increased since the 80s, reversing the trend that started after WWII, where working and middle classes saw their living conditions improving and access to property was made easier for people from all background.

The tories in power, their "incompetence", the corruption, serving their donors instead of the british people and their complete disrespect of the population are just symptoms of a systemic issue. They got the power, behaved the way they did, enacted the policies that are killing the UK because it has become accepted by society. We have the leaders we deserve. We promote people with no connections to our reality as leaders to make decisions that will impact all of us. It's like coming back to feudal times but with a democratic polish.

Tories, labour, libdem, greens, reform - it doesn't matter who rules as long as people accept greedy policiticians using minorities, identity politics and culture wars to sway people away from their "incompetence". Politicians have to be held accountable - as long it doesn't happen, donors can taks polticians to achieve their goals and in exchange, they can fill their pockets or their friends' with tax money. How many times are people going to look shocked to discover than another privatisation "to decrease taxes" has been sold to people linked to politicians in power and ends up costing more - leading to either anoyther tax increase or new budget cuts? Free market works when a service cannot become a monopole (like electricity, water etc). Public services should either not commodified on the market (as Adam Smith was already aware f it) or only with strong relgulations forcing private actors to deliver high quality services to the population.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I agree with you entirely. If (well I think they will) Labour get in it will be sooo embarrassing. They can't even write a manifesto to cover all important issues. They don't understand finances (according to many journalists, the media, Jeremy Hunt, other politicians, and many others). They refuse to answer questions, because they don't understand how to.

People think the country's in a bad way now, oh lordy wait another six to twelve months, and we'll be completely on our knees.
According to Jeremy Hunt ... 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤪

• Haha
According to Jeremy Hunt ... 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤪
Is this the same Jeremy Hunt who implemented the contract which resulted in numerous strikes by junior doctors? Who failed to have a contingency policy in place to ensure the NHS was prepared for a pandemic? Who manipulated figures and increased privatisation within the NHS? Whose actions are part of the reason that the NHS is on its knees right now? That Jeremy Hunt? 🤪

The reason Labour's manifesto is brief is because they have been clear that they are not willing to make promises they cannot keep. (Their critics would be up in arms even more so if they did!) Their manifesto is purely a plan to begin fixing the country. All the issues facing the country feed into their 6 steps in one way or another.

Re: healthcare - we already pay for the NHS via Taxation. Perhaps those who can afford to should pay more tax? Would still be cheaper than going private. Also a lot of consultants in the private sector work in the NHS anyway so private patients are just paying to jump the queue. The NHS needs overhaul but a US style private healthcare model is not the answer.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

How exactly could anything be more embarrassing than having human scarecrow and utter shitbag Boris Johnson representing us on the world stage? Or your favourite idiot Liz Truss. Because her grip on finances was bloody fabulous wasn’t it?

• Heart
Reactions: 6