UK Politics #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This has me absolutely dying, I clicked thinking it was just a joke caption, but not even 🤣

He's thinking to himself 'I've spent my career fighting for trees that have more sense than you, but here we go...'

Given that the poor old Queen packed it in after seeing Liz, there's a pattern forming. What's the opposite of the Midas touch? The Truss touch? Someone keep an eye on Charles now that he's met her...

• Haha
Reactions: 8
The real enemy here is all the racist old Conservative members who voted for Liz in the leadership contest. Your own common sense would tell you that a man who had made a fortune on the stock market would be better suited in understanding how to sort out the economy.

Reactions: 8
The real enemy here is all the racist old Conservative members who voted for Liz in the leadership contest. Your own common sense would tell you that a man who had made a fortune on the stock market would be better suited in understanding how to sort out the economy.
And if they’d voted for Sunak would you have called them sexist ?

Reactions: 3
I know lots of people don't like Charles because of his affair with Camilla, but I just knew he'd just provide epic lols! He wont be able to keep his gob shut listening to Truss! I hope he refuses to delay Boris's list of peers too, so there has to be loads of by elections!

And if they’d voted for Sunak would you have called them sexist ?
Well he was clearly the most capable candidate, so why would it be sexist to vote for the most qualified candidate? The Tories have sucked in UKIP and Britain First to swell their usual racist old bloke rump. Luckily Liz chose Kwasi Kwarteng as Chancellor, so instead of admitting that they voted for a dud, they can blame him. Even though they are joined at the hip and have been for 10 years.

Reactions: 9
I think the issue with Sunak is that although he has a better understanding of the economy than Truss - which is hardly a stretch - the very fact that he’s a multimillionaire would make me question where his priorities lie. Would he honestly be looking at levelling up, raising benefits in line with inflation, helping the working poor, helping people afford their energy bills, or would he be more interested in helping other millionaires make and keep more money? Personally I wouldn’t trust him as far as I could chuck him.
I guess it’s pretty much a moot point - the Johnson lunatics hate him for “stabbing Boris in the back” 🙄 and the 80000 racist loons who voted would never want a brown man to lead their party.

Reactions: 7
I know lots of people don't like Charles because of his affair with Camilla, but I just knew he'd just provide epic lols! He wont be able to keep his gob shut listening to Truss! I hope he refuses to delay Boris's list of peers too, so there has to be loads of by elections!

Well he was clearly the most capable candidate, so why would it be sexist to vote for the most qualified candidate? The Tories have sucked in UKIP and Britain First to swell their usual racist old bloke rump. Luckily Liz chose Kwasi Kwarteng as Chancellor, so instead of admitting that they voted for a dud, they can blame him. Even though they are joined at the hip and have been for 10 years.

It’s a weak argument to accuse people you don’t know of racism just because you disagree with their choice

Reactions: 1
I must say, as a black person who's in no way in denial about how people of certain races can be viewed in this country (sometimes I'm too sensitive about it) I don't think Rishi being non white was a huge factor as to why he lost.

I genuinely think they just preferred Liz's politics because straight out of the gate she was backing policies which sounded like music to the party member's ears at the time.

Also Rishi was a bit tainted by the non dom thing and even though it hadn't come to a head really, there was all the stuff about money wasted during the pandemic. Liz was starting from a relatively clean slate.

Reactions: 4
I must say, as a black person who's in no way in denial about how people of certain races can be viewed in this country (sometimes I'm too sensitive about it) I don't think Rishi being non white was a huge factor as to why he lost.

I genuinely think they just preferred Liz's politics because straight out of the gate she was backing policies which sounded like music to the party member's ears at the time.

Also Rishi was a bit tainted by the non dom thing and even though it hadn't come to a head really, there was all the stuff about money wasted during the pandemic. Liz was starting from a relatively clean slate.
Except she had literally sat there in Cabinet while this was all done. Yes maybe most of them weren't racist, but there is a element of Britain First ( a fascist organisation) that joined the Conservative party in order to elect the leader. Liz was clearly the weakest candidate yet the membership voted for her, and this mess is the direct result.

Reactions: 2

Theres absolutely no way that as a white person I’m going to start arguing the toss about racism with you.
However, in this case I think you might be being too generous. I think Tories in general and the wider public in most areas would have no problem whatsoever with a brown Prime Minister - and nor should they. But the 80,000 members who voted for Truss are a different proposition.
This is purely anecdotal, but

“In the eyes of Tory faithful, however, Sunak seems almost too rational — and disconcertingly non-white”
“Sunak’s supporters told the Times of London last month that their candidate was a victim of a “bit of latent racism” from party members. One was reported as saying, “I’m not ready for the brown one yet.” Sunak himself joked about being complimented for his “great tan” on the campaign trail.

Reactions: 7
It’s a weak argument to accuse people you don’t know of racism just because you disagree with their choice
It may be weak but it’s definitely not wrong.” racism”if your not a racist is not a choice for the victims and I would always protect there rights would knowing them make it right.”oh they they can’t help themselves they went to all the right schools!

The thing is none of them were chosen by British people directly, just by their party.

It may be weak but it’s definitely not wrong.” racism”if your not a racist is not a choice for the victims and I would always protect there rights would knowing them make it right.”oh they they can’t help themselves they went to all the right schools!
Weak was probably the wrong word , lazy would have been better . Undoubtedly there are racists in all parties but I think to categorically assume Rishi wasn’t voted for because of the colour of his skin is lazy.

Except she had literally sat there in Cabinet while this was all done. Yes maybe most of them weren't racist, but there is a element of Britain First ( a fascist organisation) that joined the Conservative party in order to elect the leader. Liz was clearly the weakest candidate yet the membership voted for her, and this mess is the direct result.
Tbf I did cut off part of my comment because I didn't want to ramble but what I stopped myself from saying is I won't say race had no part to play, it just wasn't front and center.

Theres absolutely no way that as a white person I’m going to start arguing the toss about racism with you.
However, in this case I think you might be being too generous. I think Tories in general and the wider public in most areas would have no problem whatsoever with a brown Prime Minister - and nor should they. But the 80,000 members who voted for Truss are a different proposition.
This is purely anecdotal, but

“In the eyes of Tory faithful, however, Sunak seems almost too rational — and disconcertingly non-white”
“Sunak’s supporters told the Times of London last month that their candidate was a victim of a “bit of latent racism” from party members. One was reported as saying, “I’m not ready for the brown one yet.” Sunak himself joked about being complimented for his “great tan” on the campaign trail.
Don't worry, I'm always up for debate especially when it's to highlight prejudices and promote fairness. Tbh I didn't see any articles mentioning his race.

Reactions: 5
They’re done. Whatever they do now and whoever is in number 10 on the day of the next general election, they’re done.
I’m not hugely educated about politics like some on here, so I don’t comment much, but I personally think that there were always rumblings in the party to oust Boris as soon as possible. I absolutely believe that outside of his small circle there were many party members who were outraged at having this professional buffoon in charge of them.
I think there was actually quite a lot of support for Rishi, but the non dom issue and the backstabbing and duplicitous manoeuvres to get Boris out didn’t play well in the media, and people got nervous and went for Truss instead, thinking she’d be more palatable for the public. In the end, it’s the media that pull the strings, imo.
It’s amounted to complete destruction of the party, by the party in my view.
Only a scandal of massive massive proportions could stop Labour being the next government, and probably remaining so for some time to come.

Reactions: 10
They’re done. Whatever they do now and whoever is in number 10 on the day of the next general election, they’re done.
I’m not hugely educated about politics like some on here, so I don’t comment much, but I personally think that there were always rumblings in the party to oust Boris as soon as possible. I absolutely believe that outside of his small circle there were many party members who were outraged at having this professional buffoon in charge of them.
I think there was actually quite a lot of support for Rishi, but the non dom issue and the backstabbing and duplicitous manoeuvres to get Boris out didn’t play well in the media, and people got nervous and went for Truss instead, thinking she’d be more palatable for the public. In the end, it’s the media that pull the strings, imo.
It’s amounted to complete destruction of the party, by the party in my view.
Only a scandal of massive massive proportions could stop Labour being the next government, and probably remaining so for some time to come.
I agree. I think the only thing stopping them from just calling an election and getting us out of this mess now is that if the opinion polls are correct and are replicated, the Tories will end up with something like 3 seats! I don't think that will happen, but if it does, that is the end of the most successful democratically elected political party in the world. For them not even to be the Official Opposition would be death to them forever. If there is a coalition that pushes through PR that is death to them forever too. They are clinging on in the hope that in 2 years time, their defeat will not be as bad. But I agree they are done. Truss could pull unicorns out of her arse and promise free ice cream for life and no one would believe her. Her leadership risks being shorter than the ridiculous overlong self indulgent leadership campaign that put her there in the first place!

Reactions: 10
I must say, as a Brit in France, that new cabinet line-up makes me piss myself in both fear and amusement. What a bleeping shambles of an intelligence and integrity vacuum. Ben Wallace literally the only one that is both a) known and b) known for basic competence. Braverman and Cleverly in the great offices of state. And that’s before we even think of the head honcho herself. I sincerely hope Kwarteng steps up, because he’s going to be doing a lot of heavy lifting to compensate for that stellar line-up.
Bad form to quote oneself, but my word the BIB aged badly, quickly.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.