UK Literary Luvvies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My take on ED corresponds with what others have said. Weird pictures - sexy power dressing when she’s talking about her sadness at not being able to conceive?

SO much bitterness - her friends must all be texting each other today going omg.

And that thing saying you’re a bad human if you share happy baby pics online - from someone with the smuggest social media accounts EVER! I had to stop following her as I couldn’t take the endless smug couple pics with her sexless millionaire husband, the smug nights out with Jo Elvin and that Peloton woman, the smug pics of her in active wear...

The hypocrisy to now have a go at others putting up happy pics just because they have the one thing she does not!
What also annoys me is that it's all content she's written before. I recognised most of what was in that article, recycled from her How to Fail book.

It's so unfair how people can churn out the same unoriginal content and get paid for it and clapped on the back as if it's groundbreaking!

Reactions: 7
I wondered about adoption. I know the urge to have your own child is really strong but I think often it is a parenting urge and, personally, I knew I wanted to be a mother really strongly. I didn’t think I would ever meet the right person and it felt like I was running out of time. I fully intended to foster children and try to adopt because I wanted to be a mother one way or another and felt I had something to give (my kids may disagree ha). I think with ED there is such a strong perfectionism and feeling that she must succeed at being a child- bearer.

With the sharing news thing I think she’s gone past the point of reasonable argument.The vast majority of people want to share joy when they post pregnancy news and it is always so nice to find out that someone else is genuinely happy and joyful BUT she does have a bit of a point. I think baby and pregnancy posts fall into two categories- genuine sharing of joy and those who want to share a curated version of the perfect family/ fertility / life. Like all social media, it can get toxic. Personally, it rubs me up the wrong way when people have their 3rd 4th hold and say something like ‘our family is complete’. Or they publicly thank (the baby??) when being so grateful for an easy pregnancy, perfect birth or whatever. There is just no need to say those things publicly and it’s hurtful to others. Share the pregnancy, share your cute babies, hold onto the details for yourself and close friends.
God I’m so glad SM wasn’t around when I had my kids.

Reactions: 2
“Thank you for your response to me berating women for sharing their life highlights on social media. Please enjoy this self-indulgent video of my very own photo shoot which is in no way as smug as sharing baby photos.”

DE797ED1-4BA1-4C03-9331-830414D0AAA4.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Urghh the ‘I see you, I love you’ crap is grinding my gears at the moment. I’m hearing it everywhere and it’s lost all meaning and just sounds like syrup. Great, you see me. Wtf am I meant to do with that in the middle of my health spiral/ mental breakdown/ other crises? Wave? I heard one MAFS contestant say it to another following a commitment ceremony and it made me mentally gag.

I’m aware this is my second MAFS reference in recent pages. It’s an addiction and I can only apologise.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Urghh the ‘I see you, I love you’ crap is grinding my gears at the moment. I’m hearing it everywhere and it’s lost all meaning and just sounds like syrup. Great, you see me. Wtf am I meant to do with that in the middle of my health spiral/ mental breakdown/ other crises? Wave? I heard one MAFS contestant say it to another following a commitment ceremony and it made me mentally gag.

I’m aware this is my second MAFS reference in recent pages. It’s an addiction and I can only apologise.
Please don’t worry - I see you and I love you.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
I mean, this ain't no Oscars acceptance speech, Liz. This is just an Instagram caption. Please, calm it down.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Just in case anyone hasn’t heard enough, there’s now a Mother’s Day post 🙄🤷🏻‍♀️ I find the whole war/ceasefire comparison a bit distasteful given what’s going on in the world…

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Just in case anyone hasn’t heard enough, there’s now a Mother’s Day post 🙄🤷🏻‍♀️ I find the whole war/ceasefire comparison a bit distasteful given what’s going on in the world…

It's interesting that this sort of thing obviously works for some people. But as someone who will be trying to conceive this year, these kinds of dramatic proclamations just leave me feeling slightly hopeless.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I thought so too, I love Clover’s writing and rawness. It doesn’t feel anything other than honest and simple. Unlike some of the LL’s who are so OTT. ED has lost me at this point, nothing to do with her posts over the past couple of days and the Times extract, it’s been brewing for a quite a while. It’s just that she feels wholly inauthentic to me, it’s weird this change that’s happened.

Reactions: 10
I find ED deeply inauthentic. I bought How To Fail and couldn’t get past the revelation that she was raised in Northern Ireland but has such an English accent still. It doesn’t make sense.

Please don’t worry - I see you and I love you.
👋
It's interesting that this sort of thing obviously works for some people. But as someone who will be trying to conceive this year, these kinds of dramatic proclamations just leave me feeling slightly hopeless.
I wonder if it works for her or if she is so entwined with her fertility and fixated on it that she mines it for content. I can understand that it is all consuming but I doubt it’s especially helpful or healthy for her either. I personally find it way more helpful to look at the positive stories. No good comes out of being at war with yourself surely.

Best of luck with your journey 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Of course it does. Yet another cruel truth that ED would be acutely aware of is that actually most people don't have all that much trouble conceiving - you need to try naturally for at least a year before a doctor will talk to you about options, and there are quite a few effective ones before you even get to IVF.

I wonder if it works for her or if she is so entwined with her fertility and fixated on it that she mines it for content. I can understand that it is all consuming but I doubt it’s especially helpful or healthy for her either. I personally find it way more helpful to look at the positive stories.
I agree I don't think it seems healthy at this point. I understand she is grieving and always will be, but all that talk of a ceasefire (the absolute gall of her having grown up in Derry?!) and comparing her plight to BLM is unhinged.

Reactions: 16
What? She is northern Irish?! She must have gone to boarding school - there is no way she grew up there speaking as she does.

Reactions: 2
What? She is northern Irish?! She must have gone to boarding school - there is no way she grew up there speaking as she does.
She was born in England but moved to near Derry as a child for her dads job
---
Clover Stroud weighing in on the whole ED Times article

Attachments

Reactions: 6
Yeah, Clover Stroud did a big post yesterday about mothers day becoming a day of apologies and trigger warnings. Tbh, i haven't seen a single trigger warning but do see people talking about how lucky they are/sharing thoughts for people who are struggling to conceive/have miscarried/have lost their mum etc. I think all of that is lovely and thoughtful, rather than taking any joy away from them. I thought Clover's post was therefore extreme and must be a reaction to what ED said (which was also totally bananas - and i say this as a childless - not by choice - woman). And now Clover says it was nothing to do with that article. Lol....right. Such drama from these people!

You gotta be careful with the Jerk Circle … they all look out for each other. Articles are all about them and by upsetting one, you could be out in the cold.
Eggshells everywhere, so many feelings.

Reactions: 10
Lol I saw an inclusivity post about also thinking of women who have chosen not to be mothers so yeah, it’s jumped the shark.

I am in that category. I am not butthurt about Mother’s Day.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.