UK Literary Luvvies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Inspired by the Dolly Alderton and Pandora Sykes thread, a thread for all of the UK media/literary jerk circle...

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Inspired by the Dolly Alderton and Pandora Sykes thread, a thread for all of the UK media jerk circle...
Title a little broad I think. You'll get people posting stuff about UK media celebrities like Holly Willoughby etc. How about Literary Luvvies as suggested? :) But thanks for creating Queen :)

Reactions: 2
So aside from Dolly, Fay and Pandora - any other notable smuggies??

Reactions: 2
Title a little broad I think. You'll get people posting stuff about UK media celebrities like Holly Willoughby etc. How about Literary Luvvies as suggested? :) But thanks for creating Queen :)
Realized that after I created it and now I can't work out how to change it!

Scarlett Curtis. Especially when she talks about how she’s too depressed to work… from Richard and Emma’s country mansion.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
I was going to suggest Bella too although I quite like her. The only thing that rules me is she also doesn’t acknowledge her privilege. Her dada was editor of the guardian and working there was one of her first jobs. Her MH struggles meant that she didn’t finish uni and had learnt on the job (always helpful to have a national broadsheet editor around to take a look over your submissions).

I admire how open she is re MH and think she is quite funny and fearless but I would love it if she’d shown all these qualities whilebeing open about what was handed to her. I don’t think it would’ve taken anything away or made her less successful.

Also slightly resentful about buying her running book. As a runner with MH challenges I was really looking forward to it but felt like it was very light and fluffy and not v useful. Didn’t get the rave reviews.

Also, saw Panda post about being cold the other day with some reference to resisting putting the heating on. It drives me crazy when incredibly wealthy people pretend the have the same concerns as everyone else. As if she is sitting in a cold house.

Reactions: 21
I was going to suggest Bella too although I quite like her. The only thing that rules me is she also doesn’t acknowledge her privilege. Her dada was editor of the guardian and working there was one of her first jobs. Her MH struggles meant that she didn’t finish uni and had learnt on the job (always helpful to have a national broadsheet editor around to take a look over your submissions).

I admire how open she is re MH and think she is quite funny and fearless but I would love it if she’d shown all these qualities whilebeing open about what was handed to her. I don’t think it would’ve taken anything away or made her less successful.

Also slightly resentful about buying her running book. As a runner with MH challenges I was really looking forward to it but felt like it was very light and fluffy and not v useful. Didn’t get the rave reviews.

Also, saw Panda post about being cold the other day with some reference to resisting putting the heating on. It drives me crazy when incredibly wealthy people pretend the have the same concerns as everyone else. As if she is sitting in a cold house.
I used to like Bella but growing tired of her and the privileged North London echo chamber that she screams into on Twitter daily. Agree about the lack of acknowledgment of privilege, even going as far as to use her mother’s maiden name rather than her father’s. She wouldn’t need to acknowledge it if she wasn’t so preachy. She posted a lot of unpleasant anti monarchy stuff prior to the Queen’s funeral which I didn’t like personally (and I’m not particularly royalist).

Yeah Pandora moaning about the cost of heating… come on love you know it’s not an issue for you. So insulting to those who are struggling. Very ‘Frugality’/ Alexandra Stedman…

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Scarlett Curtis. Especially when she talks about how she’s too depressed to work… from Richard and Emma’s country mansion.
I think Scarlett's problem is an eating disorder that she has yet to publicly acknowledge

Reactions: 17
For me Scarlett just epitomises why I wouldn’t want to be Gen Z :) Desperate to be different, desperate to be heard on social justice issues

• Heart
I remember when Dolly was on Off Menu and she came across so badly. So posh and privileged and all the things I hate. You could tell that James Acaster didn’t like her at all.

Reactions: 9
Bryony Gordon has a thread but no one posts on it apart from me 😂 She realllyyy needs to write a book or column or SOMETHING that isn’t about herself!

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I want to say the epitome of luviness although not London centric is Marian Keyes, used to love her and her books, but at some point in the last decade or so her writing style changed, the books are now a mishmash of everything and not very interesting or compelling.

She also seems to have leaned into her airy fairy oirish tweenesss persona wrapped up in expensive skincare and makeup.

I want to say the epitome of luviness although not London centric is Marian Keyes, used to love her and her books, but at some point in the last decade or so her writing style changed, the books are now a mishmash of everything and not very interesting or compelling.

She also seems to have leaned into her airy fairy oirish tweenesss persona wrapped up in expensive skincare and makeup.
I cannot stand her. I suspect she's a total cow to anyone who can't help her career or whose stardom she can't duck.

Reactions: 16
I cannot stand her. I suspect she's a total cow to anyone who can't help her career or whose stardom she can't duck.

At one point she was everywhere, guest on Strictly and other shows, prolific on social media and brown nosed by all the up and coming female writers. It really put me off her because she started presenting herself like a character from her books.

For someone who was reasonably private before to what she now is, the change is quite stark.

Bryony Gordon has a thread but no one posts on it apart from me 😂 She realllyyy needs to write a book or column or SOMETHING that isn’t about herself!

All of her books are about something she suffers from/lives with. Not many of them are interesting. She also does the podcast thing that seems to be the go-to for many of these writers when they have books to sell.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Spot on. That Paddy Whackery persona gets on my last nerve, I wish she'd drop it. She doesn't need gimmicks about her nationality.
She is an attractive and talented woman. Leave it at that. ❤

Reactions: 12
Bella Mackie :)
i’m biased because i have had a ridiculous crush on greg james for quite some time and so am jealous but can only agree with her north london bubble and how she never acknowledges her privilege, to the point of using her mother’s name instead.

i also found how to kill your family overrated and not in any way worthy of the level of praise it had. it’s decently written sure, but she wasn’t quite clever enough to follow through the whole idea.

absolutely second the posts about marian keyes too sadly. she has changed so much!

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.