UK Literary Luvvies #3 Logistical reasons mean the only recommendations I have are Greek cleaning products

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Penance was such a good book, as uncomfortable a read as it was. Have you read Boy Parts by the same author? It’s on my list.
Yes! I read it during the pandemic and yet still can’t look at Tesco shop assistants in the same light since

Reactions: 1
Interesting on numbers that Dolly's book has sold since the start of the year... Doesn't sound like a lot to me? From today's Sunday Times: https://archive.is/SuFpL
It’s been available in the library since Jan which is unheard of for a popular book like that. I’ve taken it out but not started it

I imagine it’s quite derivative- Dolly’s already told us all she knows about love, in explicit, smug detail

Agree, those figures really are tiny for the kind of visibility she has.
Everyone on here who has read it says it’s fine, better than Ghosts. But I would have thought more people would have actually bought it to read as it was in a lot of shop windows at Christmas?

I’m a Dolly fan and enjoyed Everything I Know About Love. I also thinks she writes her advice column beautifully and is a great podcaster. However, she is not a brilliant novelist - her books aren’t bad but they are typical basic holiday reads rather than the literary masterpieces I imagine she’d like them to be.

Reactions: 6
I quite enjoy her books but they are definitely not incredible works of literature. They are fun to zone out with but not deep.

Reactions: 3
Sort of linked to Greg James... when are we getting Bella's follow-up to How To Kill Your Family?

She did interviews ages ago saying it was going to examine the rise of true crime and the moral complications that have arisen from it, but there's no update in well over a year. Part of me thinks that Eliza Clark's Penance, which covered very similar ground and was critically lauded upon publication last year, has forced a rethink of how Bella's book is being marketed / positioned.
Bella’s new book has just been announced 👀

• Sad
I haven't read anything by Dolly except Good Material. Wasn't expecting to but I actually really enjoyed it. Thought it was funny, insightful and lighthearted but still kind of thought provoking. Also I find a lot of books flop towards the end but the end of GM was brilliant.

Bella Mackie on the other hand... I thought How To Kill Your Family was so terrible I felt bad taking it to the charity shop.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I haven't read anything by Dolly except Good Material. Wasn't expecting to but I actually really enjoyed it. Thought it was funny, insightful and lighthearted but still kind of thought provoking. Also I find a lot of books flop towards the end but the end of GM was brilliant.

Bella Mackie on the other hand... I thought How To Kill Your Family was so terrible I felt bad taking it to the charity shop.
The ending was absolutely dire. Felt like she just couldn’t be bothered finishing it

Bit low brow for Pandora surely?! She really doesn't get this whole AD GIFTED thing, does she...?

1000028293.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Elizabeth Day’s new outfit photos on her stories - I’m all for people dressing however they want, but I do find it a little strange that she’s basically dressing like a 17 year old!

• Haha
Reactions: 5