UK Literary Luvvies #2 Vital reading

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I do wonder how sustainable the Substack model is though. I can´t see it having much longevity beyond a few years. There are now so many platforms of repurposed content that I think the novely is going to wear off quickly for most - if people can be bothered to unsubscribe in time for renewal!

Reactions: 2
I do wonder how sustainable the Substack model is though. I can´t see it having much longevity beyond a few years. There are now so many platforms of repurposed content that I think the novely is going to wear off quickly for most - if people can be bothered to unsubscribe in time for renewal!
I'd read it if the content was good actually- even pay for it. But most LL content is derivative and shite. I'm subscribed to Bryony Gordon's and it's just rambling rubbish

Reactions: 1
Yep most Substacks seem to run out of steam very quickly and it's not worth paying for monthly. If only you could pay for some kind of monthly collection of lots of different writers... :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I like substack because I always really enjoyed blogs and it reminds me of that.

There are also some people using it in a really great way, like the Manchester Mill which is local news without all the ads and clickbait of typical local news websites.

Reactions: 5
Just saw Stacey Duguid’s IG post. Did she not quite recently buy that house? With spare change left over for a holiday home in Menorca? Maybe the book didn’t bring in as much ££ as hoped.

Reactions: 4
Just saw Stacey Duguid’s IG post. Did she not quite recently buy that house? With spare change left over for a holiday home in Menorca? Maybe the book didn’t bring in as much ££ as hoped.
Menorca was first, when she couldn’t afford in London and then could.

What is the post? (I don’t have the gram … but my nose is itching to know 😂)

"a poorly paid profession that pays so badly" wow thanks for that description

• Haha
Reactions: 13
To be fair at least she’s more honest about the industry than Pandora, I suspect the take home the same amount each month. But I don’t think she’s had that house that long, has she?

Reactions: 6
Geez Stacey is such a whinger! "Blah blah blah... cost of living crisis... I have to sell the home I own and move to the Home Counties and buy another home that'll be just as nice... blah blah blah". Get a grip. There are people far worse off. Her home hasn't been razed in Gaza.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Geez Stacey is such a whinger! "Blah blah blah... cost of living crisis... I have to sell the home I own and move to the Home Counties and buy another home that'll be just as nice... blah blah blah". Get a grip. There are people far worse off. Her home hasn't been razed in Gaza.
Honestly though if we compared ourselves to people in Gaza we wouldn’t be allowed to complain about anything ever.

I quite like her honesty as there are so many people really struggling with the COLC right now. (Although if I were her, I’d flog the holiday home first to try to give her children stability in the UK. But maybe she’s selling that too?)

Reactions: 14
Honestly though if we compared ourselves to people in Gaza we wouldn’t be allowed to complain about anything ever.

I quite like her honesty as there are so many people really struggling with the COLC right now. (Although if I were her, I’d flog the holiday home first to try to give her children stability in the UK. But maybe she’s selling that too?)
Yeah I wonder if she is selling both to then pool the capital from them and get something with more affordable mortgage costs?

She’s kind of been peddling the same story for a while and now that she’s written the book, maybe the commissions have dried up. And I guess book sales are limited to quite a niche audience. She also doesn’t balance journalism with any other revenue source. A shame though, I am rooting for her to do well!

Reactions: 7
I subscribed to Stacey’s Substack because she kept saying she’d write all about the problems with the Menorcan renovation.

I felt for her as she seemed down due to the divorce and kept talking about money problems.

Also, I believe writers should be paid so I signed up for the Substack but she never wrote anything about the Menorca house and I don’t think she posted a single thing for the 3 or 4 months of my paid subscription. I might be mistaken, but if there was content it was minimal and not worth the money.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I feel for Stacey if her book hasn’t sold well - she included some very raw and honest details about her life which she can’t now withdraw from the public domain and for what, if it hasn’t brought in the money?

There are such sensitive details in there that it potentially could affect her relationship with her children (if they read it), current/future romantic relationships, professional opportunities and so on.

I suspect this ‘warts and all’ approach was her selling point - it’s certainly why I bought the book. There are many books that gloss over post-divorce life but I wanted to read about the seedy dates, the DIY disasters and the sleepless nights.

Stacey seems like such a chaotic, vulnerable individual. I wish her all the best but I imagine her life is just one drama after another - and many of these dramas appear to be self-created through impulsivity and poor decision-making.

Reactions: 10
I’ve actually never heard of this Stacey D, will have to look her up 😂 not sure I need her in my life tho

Reactions: 1
Stacey seems like such a chaotic, vulnerable individual. I wish her all the best but I imagine her life is just one drama after another - and many of these dramas appear to be self-created through impulsivity and poor decision-making.
Bingo.

Don’t know where that house is in London but most bay fronted 1930s semis (or is this one a terrace) have to be in the region of £750k?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.