UK General Election 2024 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Never watch these 'debates'. They're little to do with politics and mainly about tv ratings. It's pretty obvious that for the majority of people it only serves to confirm their existing preferences. Anybody that decides who to vote for on the strength of a couple of hours tv 'debate' hasn't been paying attention for the last 14 years.

But it's probably worth pointing out that Sunak's apparent parrot like repetition of "Ā£2000" is a complete lie.

Reactions: 19
But it's probably worth pointing out that Sunak's apparent parrot like repetition of "Ā£2000" is a complete lie.
The correction of this needs to get the same amount of prime time air time as the lie got last night. Its everything that's wrong with politics that he was allowed to keep shouting that.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I'm very much against these televised broadcasts. We're becoming more like America - it's depressing, in my opinion.
The electorate are deciding who's deserving of their vote depending on their personality - these are politicians, not tv personalities. I don't care if they're sharp looking, whether they can debate without interrupting, how they 'come across'. What cares to me are the policies they're prioritising.

Reactions: 22
I donā€™t watch them either. I think they are too ā€˜presidentialā€™ and play into the worsening of public discourse. They make a mockery of our electoral system and constitution. Am aware that this likely makes me an old fart swimming against the tideā€¦

• Heart
Reactions: 9
It should have been longer. Just as I said about election question times.
They need time to speak at more length on subjects. That way they start tripping up and you get more of their measure. Hoisted by their own petard etc.
If broadcasters think people don't have the attention span then they shouldn't be voting IMO. It shouldn't be about sound bytes. Look where slogans have gotten us.
Once again also a pitiful attempt to link football to prove they're one of the people, waste more very limted time.
I'm fed up with this stuff being so hurried and facile. If the televised debates continue like this then they are pointless IMO.
It's frustrating and serves no purpose.

Reactions: 6
I think the format was quite bad.

Sunak managed to get more soundbites in, most notably the Ā£2000 extra tax you will have to pay under Labour. I think Starmer took a bit long to refute that, and he didn't seem as concise as Sunak which meant his message failed to land due to the time constraints.

Even though the Ā£2000 extra tax quip was proven to be a lie, stuff like that sticks.

I don't think it will make much difference to the election result though.

Reactions: 7
It's clear the timing of the Election is to catch Labour on the backfoot, they were not ready to publish a manefesto (still havent!). In terms of 'winning' the debate, I'm sure I saw briefly this morning that ignoring policies, Sunak came off as the winner in polls, wether you agree with his policies or not, he had answers for the questions.

I think it's still Starmer's to lose, but he's gotta get away from pointing the finger at the last 14 years. We wanna know how he's gonna fix the mess. He's had 14 years to tell us how he would have done it better, but hasn't.

• Heart
It's clear the timing of the Election is to catch Labour on the backfoot, they were not ready to publish a manefesto (still havent!). In terms of 'winning' the debate, I'm sure I saw briefly this morning that ignoring policies, Sunak came off as the winner in polls, wether you agree with his policies or not, he had answers for the questions.

I think it's still Starmer's to lose, but he's gotta get away from pointing the finger at the last 14 years. We wanna know how he's gonna fix the mess. He's had 14 years to tell us how he would have done it better, but hasn't.
I felt like Rishi came across like a slimy politician. Well rehearsed but it did not come across as genuine.

I noticed both of them failed to answer that young kids question about how difficult it is to get on the property ladder. Neither of them touched on the fact that extortionate rent hinders the ability to save for a house deposit for a house that has tripled in price.

Reactions: 13
I felt like Rishi came across like a slimy politician. Well rehearsed but it did not come across as genuine.

I noticed both of them failed to answer that young kids question about how difficult it is to get on the property ladder. Neither of them touched on the fact that extortionate rent hinders the ability to save for a house deposit for a house that has tripled in price.
Are any politicians ever genuine!?

Starmer claiming he 'took down' illegal trafficing gangs, both of them are out of touch with reality!

Reactions: 5
I did see someone make an interesting point that the Tories want Sunak out anyway.

Him winning the election might restore confidence especially with how unlikely it seems, but ultimately they don't want him as leader. Which makes this all the more futile.

All the points he's making will probably be more void if Tories win and they change leader.

Reactions: 4

Exactly this. Heā€™s quick to criticise and condemn but hasnā€™t specified how heā€™d have done things differently or how he plans to fix broken Britain.
---
I did see someone make an interesting point that the Tories want Sunak out anyway.

Him winning the election might restore confidence especially with how unlikely it seems, but ultimately they don't want him as leader. Which makes this all the more futile.

All the points he's making will probably be more void if Tories win and they change leader.
Every party changes depending on the leader which means with 14yrs in power and several/a lot of PMs mean their policies have changed. Liz truss cocked up big style. I actually do believe if Rishi had longer things would begin to improve. Trouble is heā€™s inherited a poisoned chalice.

I would be really interested to know whether anyone has ever changed their mind off the back of watching one of these. I don't even bother because I'd rather tit in my hands and clap than vote Tory, and where I live means voting Labour to get them out, so even if Starmer just sat there for hours with his tongue hanging out his mouth and drooling I'd still have to vote for them

Reactions: 11

They were keen to smear Penny Mordaunt to get Rishi installed. Worked out well didnā€™t it? They might have stood a chance with her in charge.

Reactions: 2
I don't like these televised debates either but if we must have them I think a more sensible format would be 4 questions per debate, and each leader gets to discuss their policies and vision properly. 45 seconds trying to communicate a message with the other person trying to put them off by interrupting satifies no-one and nothing

Theres a 90 minute effort on BBC1 Friday 7.30 with 7 panellists apparently.
I'll give it a go if able. My masochistic tendencies are clearly still in play.

Reactions: 1
The debate last night was pretty much a waste of time imo. They needed much longer to discuss than 45 seconds. They wasted far too long repeating ā€œlabour will cost you Ā£2000 a year extraā€ and ā€œI ran the CPSā€ soundbites. Anytime they were getting close to going into any sort of detail they were moved onto the next question and started all over again ā€œwhen I was the head of the CPSā€, ā€œlabour will tax you an extra Ā£2kā€ā€¦.

I think the format was quite bad.

Sunak managed to get more soundbites in, most notably the Ā£2000 extra tax you will have to pay under Labour. I think Starmer took a bit long to refute that, and he didn't seem as concise as Sunak which meant his message failed to land due to the time constraints.

Even though the Ā£2000 extra tax quip was proven to be a lie, stuff like that sticks.

Some suggestion today that Starmer purposely didn't rebut the Ā£2000 lie because he knew that they had the letter from the Treasury that categorically refuted it. Giving Sunak enough rope to hang himself and now the letter has been published and even Dan Hodges from the Daily Mail is calling it the biggest lie he's ever seen in an election campaign. Don't know that I believe it but it's an interesting suggestion and it does seem that more people now know it's a lie than actually believed it.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.