Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Blueblue123

VIP Member
I don't think throwing things at people is the answer but I won't pretend I'm not struggling to care.

We don't know why that girl threw a drink but people like Farage's words cause so much damage to some minority groups and their safety. Maybe he can try being less of an arsehole?

He's unharmed and he'll live but anyone who decides to attack a Muslim, for example, because Farage spends all day stoking up hate and calling them the enemy might not.

You reap what you sow I guess. He preaches hate so he gets hate.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

Miss Begotten

VIP Member
Are you serious? I don’t mix with any of the school parents and have a very broad range of friends and family!! How narrow minded of you. Far from privileged; chose private school for smaller class sizes and chose not to move house and have to watch our spending to allow for school fees. I know families where they are that rich that voting labour and the tax will have no impact, yet I know families where it will have a huge impact. There is such a misgiving about the types of people who send their kids private.
Can you really not understand that the fact that sending your children to private school is an option for you at all means that you have a certain level of privilege way beyond the capacity of most people? Assuming that you are way better off than a huge percentage of parents isn’t narrow minded, it’s a fact.
There are millions of working people slogging their guts out every day trying to keep their heads above water, whose options are often “can I put the lights on this week or should I spend my last fiver on trying to feed the kids”. And you don’t think you’re privileged? 🙄

• Heart

pommobear

VIP Member
But *why* can't people "bring themselves" to vote Labour but they CAN bring themselves to vote Reform? Given Labour haven't been in government for 14 years, what exactly is it about them that is so heinously awful that people would rather vote for a party of white supremacists?

• Heart

pommobear

VIP Member
Went to prison…
---

Im here to engage. You just don’t like hearing the truth.
Went to prison in the same way you might be sent to prison in Afghanistan if you were found to be giving girls an education. Presumably you know what it is to be a political prisoner.

pommobear

VIP Member
Personally I think we should be asking *why* anyone would choose to live off benefits (which frankly are a paltry amount) rather than work, if working leads to a better lifestyle. If it doesn't, why doesn't it. Why don't employers pay more, give more flexibility, offer a better work life balance?

• Heart

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
Are you serious? I don’t mix with any of the school parents and have a very broad range of friends and family!! How narrow minded of you. Far from privileged; chose private school for smaller class sizes and chose not to move house and have to watch our spending to allow for school fees. I know families where they ate that rich that voting labour and the tax will have no impact, yet I know families where it will have a huge impact. There is such a misgiving about the types of people who send their kids private.
It's not narrow minded, it's just true of most people. People who can afford to send their kids to private schools aren't mixing with people from council estates. My heart bleeds that you have to watch your spending to send your kids to their posh fancy school...the very fact that you can send your kids with those huge fees, regardless of what 'sacrifices' you think you have to make, means you are hugely privileged in today's economy. I don't know why people who send their kids to private school can't accept that. I'm sure you do go without things, so do many parents who work several jobs literally just to keep their kids fed and a roof over their head! Get a grip.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

HelloStereo

VIP Member
You know how people always say things would be so much better if all the world leaders were women? Yeah, show them Rayner and Mordaunt on this 🙈 I say this as a woman who works in an office where all the leaders are women. Things get very shouty and emotional. Often.
Men literally cry because they lost a football game.

• Haha
  • Heart

LittleMissOnions

VIP Member
People's circumstances can and do change. We were well off when I was little but then my Dad left and my mum got too ill to work so we had nothing for a long time. Why are people so mean spirited about children? I have to say I don't resent a single penny of my taxes going to feed a hungry child, whether or not their parents are feckless layabouts - it's hardly their fault. I mean what do you want - forced sterilisation?!
Spot on.

I was in a double income household, both parents paying high rate tax, husband leaves, I’m self employed in a high pressure role, can’t keep up with the childcare.

I went very quickly from flying business class to NYC to taking cash (in £5 notes) out of the cash machine before shopping cos I was worried my card would be refused and there was no food in the fridge (don’t get me started on paltry child maintenance from CSA).

Thank God for tax credits for those few months, helped pay the childcare fees and meant I could look for a different job so I had a regular income (I also had to sell my house of 18yrs and move in to rented for a short while) but if I didn’t have that safety net I would have probably stepped in front of that train that day in December 14yrs ago.

• Heart
  • Sad

Moth

VIP Member
Yes @Moth things are different, very different. I have previously posted that families these days have much more, therefore need finances to afford them. I'm talking about large TVs, mobile phones, cars, toys, etc.
And in the 1980s when we had our kids, did we have "much more" than our parents did 40 years before that? Was it a sign that we were profligate with our money or simply that society and technology had changed? Did our parents have tvs, cars, foreign holidays, fridges or freezers, indoor toilets, hot water on tap, central heating etc? I know my parents didn't. In the 1980s would you have been a 'Happy Lady' to go back to a 1940s lifestyle? Your comparison is simply perverse.

However, there were never benefits to cover child care, breakfast or after school clubs, etc.
And why do you think those have become necessary in the intervening 40 years? Could it be that more women than ever have had to return to the workplace full-time simply to pay the bills. And God forbid, some don't actually want to sacrifice their career simply because they have dared to have a child.

Things are so different, and I don't feel that so many parents should receive financial help if they hold a good, well paid job.
How many parents in a "well paid job" receive financial help?

Just my opinion.
Unfortunately it's the prevalence of unenlightened opinions like yours that has led to the stereotyping of all 'boomers'

• Heart

Wackie Jeaver

VIP Member
You know, back in the day, I used to think that most people wanted the same for their fellow citizens: decent housing, enough money to heat and eat, jobs that provided a satisfactory income, a working NHS etc etc. The basics of life in a 1st world country.

I used to think that different political parties wanted the same things, just varied in their approach to delivering them.

How naive I was. I think with the exception of the Tories, parties still want all these things. The Tories however, want to divide in order to conquer, to set people against each other, generation against generation, rich against poor. I can see nothing in their glitzy new 'plans' which will make anything better for the 'little people', and if they can do all these things why haven't they been doing them for the last 14 years?

• Heart

Halister

Farage wants people to hark back to a way of life that, for most people, never existed.

It’s a world of semi-detached houses, Dad going out to work, Mum at home in a pinny, making sure tea was on the table. Very white, very middle class.

My mum was born in a slum in the North of England, people worked in Mills for a pittance, you had to pay to see the Doctor. My great uncle died of a tooth infection at the age of 12. My husbands family worked down the mines, and they were all dead of lung disease before they hit thier mid 40s.

This Fantasy world of “British Values” they hark on about, references a life lived by a small number, of well off people.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

Moth

VIP Member
Never watch these 'debates'. They're little to do with politics and mainly about tv ratings. It's pretty obvious that for the majority of people it only serves to confirm their existing preferences. Anybody that decides who to vote for on the strength of a couple of hours tv 'debate' hasn't been paying attention for the last 14 years.

But it's probably worth pointing out that Sunak's apparent parrot like repetition of "£2000" is a complete lie.

pommobear

VIP Member
For me this election is getting rid of the Tories and getting back to a boring normal government. We shouldn't be this obsessed with what's going on and it shouldn't be so combative all the time. It makes me laugh people say Starmer is boring and goes on too much in his answers. Life is bloody complicated - you shouldn't be able to solve a big issue with a four word soundbite.
I WANT Starmer to be boring. I would very much like boring, competent people in government.

• Heart

pommobear

VIP Member
People's circumstances can and do change. We were well off when I was little but then my Dad left and my mum got too ill to work so we had nothing for a long time. Why are people so mean spirited about children? I have to say I don't resent a single penny of my taxes going to feed a hungry child, whether or not their parents are feckless layabouts - it's hardly their fault. I mean what do you want - forced sterilisation?!

• Heart

pommobear

VIP Member
So much of it comes down to family background as well. I went to a proper sink estate comp in East London where the GCSE pass rate was something like 25% and I *still* did well academically because I had two parents who had both been to university, cared deeply about my education and had a house filled with books.

Private schools are quite good at polishing turds. The amount of people I went to uni with who'd been privately educated but were actually thick as pigshit was astounding. They just had the right accent. If Boris Johnson had been raised by a single parent working two jobs on an estate in Lewisham he'd have been stacking shelves all his life.