UEFA EURO 2021 #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yet to see any racial abuse myself but seeing a lot of articles about how racism has happened. Is the media stirring the pot and trying to cause anger between different races??

Unfortunately there probably is a minority of the fans that are racist but I do hope we aren’t all painted with the same brush as I’ve seen nothing but love for all the players equally, no matter their colour.

Reactions: 5
There is definitely racist stuff circulating but I am only seeing it because of people I follow raising it to call it out. The type of people you follow and the content they post influences the content the algorithms pop up for you

Reactions: 3
Yet to see any racial abuse myself but seeing a lot of articles about how racism has happened. Is the media stirring the pot and trying to cause anger between different races??

Unfortunately there probably is a minority of the fans that are racist but I do hope we aren’t all painted with the same brush as I’ve seen nothing but love for all the players equally, no matter their colour.
You won’t see it unless you see a screenshot as they’ve been removed overnight by Twitter/FB etc.

I didn’t look for it so haven’t seen it but it’s there.

My husband saw a screenshot that was hideous. I didn’t look but from what he told me it was disgusting. The morons responsible should get lifetime bans from social media.

Reactions: 5
Ah okay, no doubt there is but wish we could focus on the good! Those scum bags want a reaction and to hurt people.. the boys played their best and we had a great tournament! So proud!!

I really truly hope the players are seeing the outpouring of love they’re getting and can be protected from anything bad/racist.

Reactions: 8
Watched the match with my eldest and his friends last night. They're all a couple of years older than Saka and were unanimous that he shouldn't have taken that penalty - regardless of whether he wanted to, had taken good penalties in training or whatever, Southgate as the manager should have stepped in. It's too much pressure for a 19 year old (to put it into perspective, when Southgate missed at Euro 96 he was 25 - and that miss haunted him for practically the rest of his playing career. And he took that after the previous 5 England players had scored). Making Saka, at his age and not having had the best game, take a shot when the 2 previous players had both missed was a huge mistake. If we'd been 4-3 up, or even 3-3 it might've been different.

Problem is penalties is just a lottery. We allowed ourselves to end up in that position by not playing well, not playing as a team (as we had in previous matches). Italy won their semi on penalties, it was no surprise when they got the equaliser they were happy to let it go to extra time and penalties. We should've done more when we were 1 goal up; the sitting back and defending is so old school, I'm surprised at Southgate.

Part of me thinks did they not expect such an early goal, and the pressure of winning the Euros (which they were for the first 70 mins) got to them?

That said, it was a brilliant display in the tournament overall, the best I feel we've played since 1996 (which was the last tournament I felt we ever had any chance of winning). I really hope that Saka, Rashford and Sancho can put this all behind them and that the World Cup in 2022 we can do as well, if not better.

Reactions: 11
Ah okay, no doubt there is but wish we could focus on the good! Those scum bags want a reaction and to hurt people.. the boys played their best and we had a great tournament! So proud!!
Yeah it was sadly there soon after the game and the screenshots exist. It never stays up for long, but I think it needs to be acknowledged when it happens. I like the sentiment of focusing on the good, but racism needs to be called out too.

Commiserations to all the English tattlers too.

Some of the fouls Italy committed were proper old school dirty tackles, shoves, pulls etc that you never see any more, because players started to get red carded for them, so they stopped happening. I've seen a lot worse fouls in these Euros as a whole than I have for a long time, not sure why that is?

That said, we did take a couple of dives too when there was absolutely no contact with an Italian player.

Reactions: 7
racism needs to be called out too.
I'm not convinced that really works with social media, it give engagement and attention to the tiny minority who get promoted by the algorithm and gets pushed to a huge audience. It rewards them and encorages more.

Hit report and scroll on imo.
You won’t see it unless you see a screenshot as they’ve been removed overnight by Twitter/FB etc.
If you look at the live tweets that were done seconds ago there really is next to none of it being posted now.

Regarding Chiellini's foul. It wasnt a red as per the actual rules of football, it would only have been a red had Saka being going at goal. It was a yellow.

Italy would not be the first team at 20 seconds to go are willing to take one for the team to get that push through to ET or the final whistle to prevent a defeat.

Ive seen many a yellow or even red card dished out where the player has gone in hard to prevent a goal. Right or wrongly it happens.

tit to lose, tit to lose a final on penalties. World Cup is a year away, they need to go again.

Reactions: 2
I'm not convinced that really works with social media, it give engagement and attention to the tiny minority who get promoted by the algorithm and gets pushed to a huge audience. It rewards them and encorages more.
Report and scroll works on an individual level. There's a much wider societal problem and that can only addressed at a societal level.

The social media companies also needed to be far more active than they are. Widespread reaction from the football world and preferably by governments, the EU etc can make a difference. People laughed at the social media boycott, but if every Premier League player and club went off it permanently that is a major loss to social media companies.

It's currently far too easy to racially abuse someone on social media. Ditto any other kind of abuse.

Regarding Chiellini's foul. It wasnt a red as per the actual rules of football, it would only have been a red had Saka being going at goal. It was a yellow.
Absolutely. Players in that England team and every other would and have made the same type of foul. Taking one for the team is normal.

If you look at the live tweets that were done seconds ago there really is next to none of it being posted now.
I think after someone found a poster's LinkedIn and everyone started tagging their employer, it's probably scared a few people into deleting what they've said or just keeping their vile thoughts in their head, especially now they will be sober.

I've seen quite a few screenshots of comments on Instagram and tweets, but I've also seen way more supportive posts that are flooding out anything negative.

Feeling quite deflated this morning, really because of the behaviour of some of the 'fans'. I felt we deserved to get as far as we did and it was SO close.

Some of the fouls Italy committed were proper old school dirty tackles, shoves, pulls etc that you never see any more, because players started to get red carded for them, so they stopped happening. I've seen a lot worse fouls in these Euros as a whole than I have for a long time, not sure why that is?

That said, we did take a couple of dives too when there was absolutely no contact with an Italian player.
Are you meaning you don't see that sort of thing happening in the Premier League? The style of refereeing on the continent (and this Euros) is different to England, they allow a more flowing game so relatively 'innocuous' things fly, whereas in England if you dare to look at someone the wrong way you're pulled up for it which makes play completely fragmented at times.

Why did they take the medals off? I thought that was a bit childish.
It's rare that the losing team don't do that in knockout football finals these days. Guess they don't want to be reminded of the rawness of their defeat at this moment, but I suppose they may learn to treasure the medal in time..

Anyway, onwards and upwards...Olympics next week. Plenty of great sport to watch and hot athletes (male and female) to ogle :love:

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
It's rare that the losing team don't do that in knockout football finals these days. Guess they don't want to be reminded of the rawness of their defeat at this moment, but I suppose they may learn to treasure the medal in time..

Anyway, onwards and upwards...Olympics next week. Plenty of great sport to watch and hot athletes (male and female) to ogle :love:
I kind of understand why they would take them off, but at the same time they’re the first team ever to make it to a Euros final so getting that medal is a symbol of that achievement. I think the way they lost really added to the emotions as it was a very close game.

Yes! We need an Olympics thread!

Reactions: 6