True ghost stories šŸ‘»

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My grandad always used to tell a few spooky stories before he passed, no one could tell if it was all his meds making him a bit loopy but he was completely convinced of some of them, and some of them he told way before he was on meds.

One of them he said that when he was in hospital a couple of weeks post surgery a few years back he was on a ward with 3 other men. He said one night he was lying awake and suddenly the light turned on in the loo which he could see from his bed. The door was closed so this was strange as he hadnā€™t seen anyone get up and go and nor had anyone entered from the hall as it was late and most people were asleep. After about 5 minutes the door started rattling, slightly at first then more and more and then all of a sudden the handle started turning up and down as if someone was trying to get out but the lock wasnā€™t working (real like horror film type thing) He said this was going on for a few minutes, really loudly and erratically like someone was stuck in there but then just as suddenly as it started, it stopped, the light went off and no one came out. He watched for ages to see if someone was in fact stuck (I guess not uncommon with lots of older folk on the ward) but no one did and then people were going in and out as normal so the door wasnā€™t locked at all. He said it really spooked him.

Another one was that when he was much younger he was driving one night and got to just before a long bridge with a blind bend the other side of it. He said while he was driving a really firm voice came out of no where and said ā€œpull over right nowā€ and he ignored it but then he heard the voice again ...ā€pull over right now,ā€ so he went with gut instinct and pulled over. Sure enough, about 20 seconds later a car overtook a bus coming in the opposite direction and had a head on collision with the car driving behind him on the bridge. He said he absolutely swears that he never even saw the bus to have those thoughts and that he heard this voice clear as day telling him to pull over. My grandad was absolutely not the type to make that sort of stuff up so thatā€™s quite freaky.

Thereā€™s also been a monk that haunts their house for years, both my uncles, grandad and Nan have all seen it in the same bedroom. Creepy AF. I hate staying round there šŸ˜‚

• Wow
Reactions: 14
My grandad always used to tell a few spooky stories before he passed, no one could tell if it was all his meds making him a bit loopy but he was completely convinced of some of them, and some of them he told way before he was on meds.

One of them he said that when he was in hospital a couple of weeks post surgery a few years back he was on a ward with 3 other men. He said one night he was lying awake and suddenly the light turned on in the loo which he could see from his bed. The door was closed so this was strange as he hadnā€™t seen anyone get up and go and nor had anyone entered from the hall as it was late and most people were asleep. After about 5 minutes the door started rattling, slightly at first then more and more and then all of a sudden the handle started turning up and down as if someone was trying to get out but the lock wasnā€™t working (real like horror film type thing) He said this was going on for a few minutes, really loudly and erratically like someone was stuck in there but then just as suddenly as it started, it stopped, the light went off and no one came out. He watched for ages to see if someone was in fact stuck (I guess not uncommon with lots of older folk on the ward) but no one did and then people were going in and out as normal so the door wasnā€™t locked at all. He said it really spooked him.

Another one was that when he was much younger he was driving one night and got to just before a long bridge with a blind bend the other side of it. He said while he was driving a really firm voice came out of no where and said ā€œpull over right nowā€ and he ignored it but then he heard the voice again ...ā€pull over right now,ā€ so he went with gut instinct and pulled over. Sure enough, about 20 seconds later a car overtook a bus coming in the opposite direction and had a head on collision with the car driving behind him on the bridge. He said he absolutely swears that he never even saw the bus to have those thoughts and that he heard this voice clear as day telling him to pull over. My grandad was absolutely not the type to make that sort of stuff up so thatā€™s quite freaky.

Thereā€™s also been a monk that haunts their house for years, both my uncles, grandad and Nan have all seen it in the same bedroom. Creepy AF. I hate staying round there šŸ˜‚
Sounds like he was incredibly lucky in that car story. I've always wondered how I'd react if something similar happened to me. Also that monk story has just made me think of the black monk of pontefract (I'm not from there just really interested in it)

Reactions: 6
Sounds like he was incredibly lucky in that car story. I've always wondered how I'd react if something similar happened to me. Also that monk story has just made me think of the black monk of pontefract (I'm not from there just really interested in it)
I listened to a podcast about that last year and had to sleep with the lights on for a week!

Speaking of monks, there's a pub in my hometown that's rumoured to be haunted by an ecclesiastical order. Apparently, a former landlord woke up one night to the sound of monks chanting from the (deserted) floor above. I don't know why, but something about ghostly monks really shits me up!

Reactions: 5
I listened to a podcast about that last year and had to sleep with the lights on for a week!

Speaking of monks, there's a pub in my hometown that's rumoured to be haunted by an ecclesiastical order. Apparently, a former landlord woke up one night to the sound of monks chanting from the (deserted) floor above. I don't know why, but something about ghostly monks really shits me up!
I was supposed to spend 3 nights in the house back in August. I've got friends that have had some mad stuff happen in that house.
That sounds like an amazing place to visit! Alcohol and ghostly monks, what more could anyone want haha. You don't have to answer this but what is the pub called/where is it?

Reactions: 1
This gave me full on goosebumps.
It was terrifying , my sister used to see people that others never which was scary enough, but to witness and hear presences was scary . I hated that house her back room had a really bad feel to it as well and it was unlucky for the residents. My sister only lived there for two years before she moved to a bigger house but it left a lasting impression.

ive thought about another one now im back on this thread , My sister dreams about stuff and generally they happen without explaination, shes a twin but her twin isnt psychic so we dont quite understand how or why , but years ago her twin was due to travel from Manchester airport to fly abroad with her now husband and our cousin and partner . My other sister was supposed to go but had to work and coudn`t so she cancelled . Anyway about a month before they where due to go my sister had what she called a night terror which she said was so vivid and realistic it frightened her. She dreamt that she went on a plane with her twin and the plane sat on a runway ready to take off, the next thing she looked ahead and people where choking and she could see thick smoke. She said she looked behind and there where flames so she screamed to her twin to get on her knees and crawl to the entrance only they had to guess where the entrance was ,she said all around her people where choking but they had to keep crawling until eventually they saw a light from outside and they headed on their knees towards the light .She then said she couldnt hear her twin coughing or even speaking so she tried to feel behind her and her twin was still there but struggling to breath.She then found all her strength to hold on to her twin and drag her to the light where they slid down onto the tarmac, she was trying to take gulps of air and some fir people gave them both oxygen and fought the fire .Anyway she woke up crying as there was no mention of the partners or my cousin just them 2, she told her twin about this dream and her twin was spooked out by it , her twin moved her holiday to a different date as it really struck her how scared her twin was . Well the month after when my sister and cousin was due to go the Manchester Airport disaster happened just as she had dreamt of course we where all freaked out by it, she still to this day cant understand why she dreamt it and hasnt dreamt anything like that since, however she has dreamt of an out of body experience involving her and her husband in a future home . weird or what ?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
I was supposed to spend 3 nights in the house back in August. I've got friends that have had some mad stuff happen in that house.
That sounds like an amazing place to visit! Alcohol and ghostly monks, what more could anyone want haha. You don't have to answer this but what is the pub called/where is it?
It's a pub called the Old Swan in Warwickshire. I've dug out the Facebook post that mentioned the ghostly monks and apparently the same landlord experienced lights switching on by themselves in the middle of the night...!

• Wow
It's a pub called the Old Swan in Warwickshire. I've dug out the Facebook post that mentioned the ghostly monks and apparently the same landlord experienced lights switching on by themselves in the middle of the night...!
Thank you, I might have to look into that a bit

Last night a really freaky thing happened to me actually. We live in a new build and are the third people to live in this particular house, no history of the estate being built on anything other than countryside so havenā€™t entirely convinced myself this house is haunted yet BUT last night I was sat getting my youngest to sleep in his room. Thereā€™s a wire plugged into the wall next to the rocking chair that is attached to his room thermometer thing on a shelf above. I looked over at the wire and I noticed it was moving, not just as if Iā€™d knocked it (which I hadnā€™t, the chair is a good few inches away) but swinging as if someone was on the shelf swinging it like a jump rope. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me so I held the wire to see if it would stop but it didnā€™t, it kept swinging and it felt like I was holding a rope while someone was moving the other end of it, when I let go it stopped after a while but there wasnā€™t anything on the shelf that could be moving it and I could feel the pull myself.

At the same time this happened I thought I heard my little boy get out of bed (clear foot steps) , walk to his door, open it slightly (itā€™s creaky) and stand there (he does this regularly but usually just goes straight into our room) (our boys rooms are adjacent to each other) as I could feel someone stood near me but with an almost hesitant feeling which is why I was sure it was him. I could almost make out breathing. When I put my littlest down, my toddlers door was completely pulled to and my partner said neither he nor my toddler had got out of bed at all. I was SO convinced someone was stood near the door, I could literally feel their presence near me. To say Iā€™m spooked is an understatement, my friends think guardian angel (I am waiting for my grandad to give me a sign heā€™s watching over us) but who bloody knows. The wire thing was so so odd though.

This is so minor in comparison to other peopleā€™s experiences but I really canā€™t explain either thing.

• Wow
Reactions: 16
Not so much a ghost story but ... my grandad died about 11 years ago not too long before my niece was born. He used to always take off one square of toilet paper and put it on top of the roll (weird I know but old men and their ways eh?) the day my nan went to meet my niece, she got home, went into the toilet and there was a square of toilet roll paper sitting on top of the roll. She didnā€™t follow the odd toilet roll tradition so we can only imagine it was a sign from him šŸ„°

Iā€™ve had sleep paralysis itā€™s awful.
My middle son is 6 and he can tell me all about his past life to the point. Story never changes. He also tells me how he died in a fire and the birth mark on his back is like a burn šŸ˜³.
I was asleep last week and awoke to a book Iā€™d put on my drawers laid on the floor next to me. Iā€™m guessing someone threw it as a massive bang woke me up and then I found it.
Our house has started creeping me out for about 2 months though I get weird feelings every know and again like an urgency and it will be freezing cold then just go completely.
I have a book called Return to Life by Jim B Tucker. He spent time with children who could remember past lives in incredible detail. Itā€™s a really interesting read

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I have thought of a couple more things after reading this thread...

When my son was about 6/7 months, I was in the front room with the baby monitor on and my son was asleep in his crib in our bedroom. My partner was in the small room next to our bedroom which we had turned into an office - we live in a maisonette so all on one floor. Anyway, I heard a very clear ā€œssshhhhhā€ coming from the baby monitor. I immediately thought it was my partner but thought it was odd as the baby wasnā€™t making a noise and I hadnā€™t heard him come out of the office. Looked on the monitor and the room was empty and my partner was still in the other room.

Following on from peopleā€™s anecdotes about robins... a couple of years ago in late spring/early summer we would see 2 robins in our garden every time we were out there. They would come really close to us and just sort of hang around for a bit. One evening Iā€™d gone out for a walk and come home to find a robin sitting on the steps leading up to our front door. As I walked up them it jumped up every step with me then flew away when we got to the top. Definitely feel like it was someone saying hello but havenā€™t had anything like that happen since!

Following on from peopleā€™s anecdotes about robins... a couple of years ago in late spring/early summer we would see 2 robins in our garden every time we were out there. They would come really close to us and just sort of hang around for a bit. One evening Iā€™d gone out for a walk and come home to find a robin sitting on the steps leading up to our front door. As I walked up them it jumped up every step with me then flew away when we got to the top. Definitely feel like it was someone saying hello but havenā€™t had anything like that happen since!
Apparently a robin is a sign that a loved one who has passed is near.

My father in law passed away at the end of 2018. Last year my husband was in the graveyard cutting the grass on his grave and doing a bit of tidying up when a robin flew down and landed on my father in law's headstone. It stayed there the whole time my husband was in the graveyard and just as he was finished, it flew off.

I'm not religious (neither is my husband) but maybe it was his way of letting us know he was still around somewhere.

My husband's Aunt gave him this afterwards:

IMG_20201021_142232.jpg

Last edited:
  • Heart
I never fully believed the robin thing but a robin followed me round the garden intently for a good 30mins and got really close to me shortly after my Nan died. It was comforting although I'm not sure if u believe it. I'd like a very definite sign.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I have fat robins visit my garden. I feed them and all their wee fat birdy friends. They visit because they like the sunflower seeds, crushed oatcakes and peanuts Iā€™ve been providing since lockdown. First thing I got when we had to start WFH was bird food and feeders for directly outside my window. Gives me something to look at while working.

It would be lovely to think the robins were visiting relatives but in my case I think they just enjoy the food I give them...some of them a bit too much, they do look rather chubby.

• Heart
My nan lived to a ripe old age of 96 she died in 2007 anyway my dad is her only child and when she died strange things happened. In their kitchen they had a notice board and on it was my nans prescription which my dad used to get for her , when my dad came in from the funeral parlour he noticed the prescription in the middle of the floor, no rip in it and the drawing pin still in the noticeboard, there was only him and mum living in the house and mum had been with him, at my nans funeral my dad put his hand on the coffin and as he did a shaft of light hit him, when we looked around it was full on him and no one else(my nans sister was in the church sitting next to him) when he went back to the funeral car a white feather came down from seemingly no where and landed on the back of his hand, I also had a card that my nan bought for me with a grandaughter prayer on it , I took it everywhere it sat in my purse, when she died I couldnt find it and I was getting distressed about it , when I went to make a meal two birds flew down and sat on my window ledge and I said hello nan and grandad are you keeping an eye on me, oh and where have you put my card .I went into my cupboard where my tins where and screamed to my husband had he put my card on top of the tins, he looked at me and said why would I do that and sure enough there it was on top of the tins as though someone had placed it there. oddly I felt so soothed like she was saying ive met up with grandad but im all around you .

• Heart
Reactions: 15
When my aunt was 12-13 she allegedly saw a ghost around the house on multiple occasions who, according to a psychic she visited as an adult was a fireman in life and is her spirit guide. Not sure what I think of that one but then when I was 7 or so, I woke in the night and saw a then very ill family friend in my room next to me. He told me to go back to sleep and I was very confused; he couldn't speak because he'd had his voice box removed due to throat cancer, and I knew that he was in hospital currently. You guessed it, in the morning I was told he'd died the night before. Never could be sure whether I dreamed that ...

• Wow
Reactions: 8
The prescription story reminds me of my first birthday after my Grandma and Granda died. They died within a few months of each other.

I had a 2 bedroom flat and in the spare room floor, on my birthday, right in the middle, on its own, was the birthday card theyā€™d sent me the previous year.

I lived myself with 2 cats. The logical thinking is one of the cats moved it. My old cards were kept in a box on the high shelf in the built in cupboard. The box was still in the right place.

I had totally forgotten about that!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I was at work Monday night, Iā€™m a cleaner, so I go and clean the building after hours once everyone has gone home, I unset the alarm when arriving, set again when leaving.

I phoned my friend whilst there Monday night, cos there wasnā€™t much to to do, I was bored, helps pass the time. Weā€™re on a video call...

I take the lift to the first floor, I go into the offices do what Iā€™m doing, come out to where the elevator is to see the elevator doors open! So Iā€™m like ok, probably nothing... I start hoovering and they open again! Iā€™m showing my friend like, look!! I even Hoover towards the elevator to see if it was me who set it off, nope... So Iā€™m like duck this Iā€™m not using that, I carry the hoover down the stairs, sod health and safety at this point! I go downstairs, do what Iā€™m doing in reception, all the while still on the call with my friend, and the elevator doors OPEN, on the GROUND FLOOR!! Bearing in mind Iā€™ve walked down the stairs, so how did the elevator get downstairs with only me in the building and the doors open again?! I screamed and left! Never felt so scared in my life. The person who picked me up from work that night even said theyā€™ve never seen me look so scared in my life.

Then Tues night I was sat waiting for someone to pick me up, again, on a call to my friend, my friend raises their eyebrows, so I nod back, and Iā€™m like so you heard that too then? And they went yep - there was a goddamn bang in the room I was sat in!

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I used to work in nursing homes while I was at uni and I've loads of stories!

I worked permanent nights in this one home and everyone would tell me about various experiences which I would laugh off. A new carer (A) came to work with us and she was really in to the spiritualist side of things. Normally we would have the TV on low in the lounge at night for a bit of background noise. A didn't like the TV on because she liked to hear what was going on.
One morning around 4am we were chatting quietly and mid conversation I could hear someone whistling a tune in the far corner of the room. I stopped talking and so did A. I asked her had she heard what I'd heard and she smiled and nodded and told me not to be scared. I jumped up and went to that corner and felt an icy chill. I then opened the curtains thinking it might have been a dog walker but it was still pitch black and the whistling was too clear and close to be outside. Anyway I settled myself down and didn't think too much about it.
Fast forward a few weeks and A was sitting on the desk in the landing and another colleague (B) was leaning against the door frame. A told B not to move because somebody was behind her. B had worked there a long time so asked A to describe the figure. A described a short, stooped man, a bald head with wispy white hairs, glasses, wearing navy striped pyjamas, brown slippers and using a walking stick. B said that it sounded awfully like John Doe as he used to shuffle around and whistle to himself.. A then told B that it was indeed John Doe as he was smiling and nodding. Now we had a name and John must have felt more comfortable so we would hear whistling a lot more and acknowledge his presence.
One night I was working with an agency carer who hadn't been to the home before and so I had been running round showing her what to do. Agency weren't allowed to fill in the paperwork so I was busy filling it in amidst delegating other tasks to her. John had a habit of always whistling either behind me, or into my ear (he must have known it freaked me out a bit). Anyway he must have been sitting in the chair beside me and was trying to catch my attention and I was ignoring him. He kept whistling at me and I said out loud "not tonight John, I haven't time for you." I never heard him again after that even though other girls continued to hear him.
Interestingly about a year before we heard John whistling the nurse came flying round to us one night and told us off for not having someone in bed. We then walked round to the other lounge with her and there was no-one there. She said that when she had walked past there was a man sitting there with navy striped pyjamas and a walking stick and she thought to herself how much the man resembled John Doe. Turns out John must have been having a rest!

---

One room downstairs was a shared room and there were two sisters who shared the room. A curtain divided the room. Day staff would always comment on how the far side of the room beyond the curtain would always be icy cold, even with the window closed and the radiator full blast. The sister that slept on that side always appeared slightly unsettled.
One of the managers had raced down the corridor one day as she heard a primal scream coming from that room and when she went opened the door the curtain divider was billowing and the screaming got louder and louder until it ceased and the curtain dropped. The window was closed and no-one was in the room.
The sister closest to the window passed away first. Interestingly that side of the room didn't feel as icy after the priest had been for her last rites.

The other sister wasn't doing too well and the priest had been to deliver her last rites. We took it in turns to sit with her as her family weren't able to sit. About 1 in the morning she suddenly opened her eyes. The nurse (C) who was sitting with her asked her if she was ok and she nodded. C told her she was just going to nip to the loo and to the kitchen to get a coffee and that I would be sitting with her for a while. This lady barely spoke but she took C's hand and said "no you stay." She looked over C's left shoulder and said "but you can go." C then told her she would stay with her and the lady would keep looking over C's shoulder and saying "you can go now." Anyway the lady turned a corner and lived for about another 9 months. After doing some research it looks like the lady's collector had come for her but she just wasn't ready to pass over yet! It was the strangest thing I've ever witnessed!

---

My great uncle who I was very close to passed away suddenly 7 years ago. I was naturally very upset and still to this day have not come to terms with his death. Anyway, he was a great big tall man (6 foot 8 1/2) and he was an electrician. The running joke was always the fact that he didn't need a stepladder to change lightbulbs. About a week after his death I was really struggling and had cried myself to sleep and saying out loud that I wanted a sign that he was with me.
I was working days in a different nursing home and every room I went in to the next morning, the light bulbs blew. This continued most of the day, even bulbs that had been changed and the handyman was beginning to think there was a problem with the wiring. I went home that night and switched on my bedroom light and it blew too. I started laughing for the first time since his death and said out loud that it wasn't funny anymore and I'd got the point thank you very much. Bulbs stopped blowing then but even now, if I'm feeling particularly sad or missing him a lot a bulb always goes.

Sorry for the long post!

šŸ‘»

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I remember my mum seeing people who weren't really there before she passed away, She would ask 'can you see that beautiful lady over there? he hairs bowing in the wind ' or if i could see the guy sitting on the wall with his arms wrapped around his legs, before leaving for a hospice she asked if i had been knocking on her door. I researched life before death things and apparently when someone is going to die, they are 'collected', and the two worlds become one to make passing easier or something, she want scared at all and so i wasn't either.a while after her passing she visited me in a dream but we were having a conversation where i said wow mum is this actually real, as in my dream she was perched on the side of my bed, I was so confused when I woke up, I have dreamed of her since but not in the same way.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I remember my mum seeing people who weren't really there before she passed away, She would ask 'can you see that beautiful lady over there? he hairs bowing in the wind ' or if i could see the guy sitting on the wall with his arms wrapped around his legs, before leaving for a hospice she asked if i had been knocking on her door. I researched life before death things and apparently when someone is going to die, they are 'collected', and the two worlds become one to make passing easier or something, she want scared at all and so i wasn't either.a while after her passing she visited me in a dream but we were having a conversation where i said wow mum is this actually real, as in my dream she was perched on the side of my bed, I was so confused when I woke up, I have dreamed of her since but not in the same way.
I can totally relate to this. Google visitation dreams, I had one and you know when you've had one as they're completely different to any other dream xx

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.