True ghost stories 👻

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sat and read the full thread - love it. Me personally only saw a vision of my grandma next to my granddad when he was dying but other family have stories which I will come back and share X

Reactions: 11
I’ve just spent a week in Trewince manor cottage in Cornwall, I love paranormal and odd things but this was haunted, I’ve slept for no more than two hours a night. Woke up to find my shower on in the morning (no one had used it yet) doors slamming and an eerie feeling upstairs x

• Wow
Reactions: 9
My parents died within 9 weeks of each other five years ago. My mum died first, and my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer just before she died.

Anyway, some weeks after my mum died, my daughter, youngest grandson and I were at my dad's. It was a warm day, and we were sat in the garden, whilst my dad was inside having a nap.

Youngest grandson was 2 years old at the time, and was happily pottering around the garden, when all of a sudden, he stopped in his tracks and looked up as if someone was talking to him and he started to look very confused. He then held out his arms (like you would to have something put in them) and proceeded to walk round carrying whatever it was he'd been given.

We watched all of this happen, and at the time, we both agreed someone was talking to him and had given him something.

After a minute or so, we asked him what had happened, and if someone had spoken to him, which he confirmed. We then asked if they'd given him anything, and he said they'd given him a teddy bear.

We're both convinced that it was my mum he'd seen. We had placed several items in her coffin with her, one of which was a teddy bear.

Strange things happened between them both dying, and once they were both dead. My dad was convinced she was haunting him when he was in hospital, he used to say that he knew she was dead, but that she was there with him a lot of the time. It used to really freak him out and scare him.

I will write about some more of the weird things that happened at some point.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
Just found this thread and I'm loving it!!! I have plenty of incidents, here are a few...

When I was a teenager (80s)my Uncle was in the army and stationed in Germany. We often used to visit and as my cousin is same age as me we spent a lot of time together. One night we snuck out of her window and met up with her friends in the park. Nothing too naughty, just normal teenagers passing a can of beer and sharing a cigarette! The playground bit was locked but one of the swings started swinging and we dared each other to check it out. There was a little girl, probably about 3 or 4 on the swing. She was wearing button up pyjamas, but the bottoms were shorts. We just assumed it was a kid who'd got out ti go to the park. She started speaking, but in German, all of us were English so no one understood what she said. She then got off the swing and walked into the dark. We all were completely freaked out and went home. As we were leaving the German part of town (just before we got back on the base) there was a row of 1960s style flats and the little girl was standing outside. We didn't tell anyone because we would have been punished for sneaking out.
A couple of years ago, at a wedding, my cousin and I were chatting about our childhood and mentioned the incident. My aunt (her stepmum) went really pale and eventually said that a little girl had been killed in those flats by her mother's boyfriend the year before they'd moved to Germany. She'd been asleep in bed and he'd smothered her. I still can't see 'shorty PJs' without thinking of that little girl

I have more but need to do lunch!!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
I had moved into house which had a creepy vibe, I remember walking into it and instantly saying people have died in here. It had sat empty for 2 years before I came along and snatched it up like it was gold, coming from London to a town up North, it was like a mansion to me.

Some time after, I was about to walk up the stairs and saw what looked like my boyfriend (who also lived on the same street) at the time side step from the toilet which was at the top of the stairs and into the bathroom out of view. I thought nothing of it at all until I went into my bedroom and he was there flat out asleep, it was during the day.

I shook him and said that there is a bleeping man in the house then! There was no body. I was totally freaked out. There was a lady who lived there before who had died of alcoholism, her adult son, unable to cope with the loss of his mother hung himself off the stair banister no more than a week later. The lad who hung himself was often mistaken for my then boyfriend when he was alive and was known for wearing the same clothes every day - black tracksuit, exactly what he had on.

He did not look like a typical perceived ghost. He looked like an actual person.

I have had many encounters with things from the spiritual realm but this one sticks out for me and is the easiest to tell.

• Wow
I posted a few months ago but thought this would be an interesting one to add!

At the beginning of the year I moved into a new house, for the first few weeks I noticed a cat kept coming on my garden, it didn’t cause any bother it just used to sit at the top of the garden and occasionally walk down to my patio doors, almost as if it was looking to see what I was doing to the house!

About a month after I moved my Mum went to a ‘psychic party’ that her friend was having (in case you didn’t know, a psychic comes to your house and basically does a group session) the psychic mentioned to my Mum about me moving house and that her Dad (my grandad) liked the new house and what I’d done with it, nice compliment however my Grandad passed suddenly in ‘97! My Mum is convinced that the cat was her Dad coming to check up on me 😆

Reactions: 12
Love this thread! I have one or two experiences to share...

My mum and I are quite convinced we saw a ghostly apparition on a dark country lane we were driving down. It appeared in the headlights of the car in front but then completely vanished as the car passed through it. We both looked to our left as we drove past where it would have been and there was just dense, tall hedgerows - absolutely no sign of the figure at all. I did some research into the road later, and it transpires people have seen ghostly figures on the road, but nothing that matches what my mum and I saw.

Secondly, and this one sounds even odder written down, I used to work in Warwick and would park at the bottom of a steep hill, walking into my office each morning (I don't know how familiar you are with Warwick, but parking is notoriously awful!)

Anyway, I walked up this hill pretty much every day for about three years, and grew used to the familiar faces I'd seen on the route. One morning, I was powering into work (running late, as usual) and saw two incredibly old women struggling up the hill in front of me. If a cartoonist had to draw a stereotypical old lady, he'd have drawn these - ankle length beige coats, court shoes, headscarves. They were both very hunched and making incredibly slow progress up the street. Its important to add, there were no shops open on the street at that time of the morning.

I walked around them and was probably two or three paces in front when I suddenly felt compelled to turn around - I guess part of me wanted to make sure they were OK - and, when I did so, there was nobody there.

I did a double take but couldn't see any sign of them. As I say, all of the shops were shut, there were no parked cars on the road, no alleyways they could have peeled off into. I even checked the other side of the road in case they'd somehow managed to sprint across in the five or so seconds I had my back turned. Absolutely nothing.

I'm sure there's a rational explanation for this one, but for the life of me I can't think what. It still bothers me that I felt strongly enough to turn around and look at them - there was something so old fashioned and 'off' about them, they really stood out.

As with other people who have experienced woo or strangeness, it isn't until after, when you start recollecting on what you 'saw', that it stands out as odd. I've driven that country lane, and walked up that hill, countless times before and since, and never seen anything like either of those two things again. Really gives me pause for thought.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I’ve just spent a week in Trewince manor cottage in Cornwall, I love paranormal and odd things but this was haunted, I’ve slept for no more than two hours a night. Woke up to find my shower on in the morning (no one had used it yet) doors slamming and an eerie feeling upstairs x
I stayed at a haunted cottage in Cornwall some years ago. It was detached and the nearest dwelling was a stable for a horse. Upon first entering the cottage, my boyfriend said, "I don't like it here, I want to go home." We had only just arrived and I asked him why he felt that way and he said he just felt strange going over the threshold. Well, this was a bloke who did not believe in the paranormal. He said he would give it a chance.

One evening we were watching telly and we heard this almighty crash from the room above. It sounded like someone had either jumped from a height, or a piece of furniture like a wardrobe had been knocked over. :oops:Well we both jumped up in alarm, ran upstairs and went into the room and there was nothing amiss, not a bit of furniture had been moved. We looked into the other rooms to see if anything had fallen over, but again, nothing untoward. It was really strange and neither of us could understand what had caused the noise, or where it had come from.

Some days later, we heard girls giggling in one of the bedrooms and we both looked at each other and thought, "there is something not quite right about this place." Neither of us wanted to voice the word, "haunted" because both him and me wanted to try and find a rational explanation for what had occurred. We heard the giggling again and it seemed to be coming from the room which was our bedroom. We looked outside to see if any children had got into the garden, but seeing as the light was fading of the evening and this cottage was on a main road with no neighbouring properties, we pretty much knew it wouldn't be local children, well not in the physical sense!

So one day when the weather had taken a turn for the worst, I was flicking through the guest book. I always do this at every cottage I've stayed at. I love reading other people's thoughts about a place. Anyhow I came across this entry, which gave me goosepimples, it said, "lovely cottage, but I wish the ghost would pay her share of the rent!" :oops::oops:

We were rather relieved to be home and we often talk about the "haunted cottage" both agreeing that it is a place we will not return, nor recommend!:giggle:

• Wow
About ten years ago, I woke up in the middle of the night, to see my great grandfather, leaning against my bedroom door, in his dark trousers white collar less shirt and braces, I rubbed my eyes and said... hello what are you doing here? ( he passed away February 1977) he replied.. you have looked after him long enough and now it's our turn we are taking him with us and will look after him. I said who? As I had my grandad n a great uncle still with us. He said don't worry.. it's alright and his time now.
I then said... why are u standing like that? He was making the outline of the letter A against the door. He said it's ok. Don't worry go to sleep. N I did.
The next morning my phone rang, it was my stepdad n before I said hello I said who's gone? Grandad or uncle stan? Step dad says.. how do you know? N saying to my mum... she knew! Stan is my great grandad son, A - is Alice- my nan. It was the greatest comfort to have that experience. Loads of other stuff happened too!

Reactions: 10
I stayed at a haunted cottage in Cornwall some years ago. It was detached and the nearest dwelling was a stable for a horse. Upon first entering the cottage, my boyfriend said, "I don't like it here, I want to go home." We had only just arrived and I asked him why he felt that way and he said he just felt strange going over the threshold. Well, this was a bloke who did not believe in the paranormal. He said he would give it a chance.

One evening we were watching telly and we heard this almighty crash from the room above. It sounded like someone had either jumped from a height, or a piece of furniture like a wardrobe had been knocked over. :oops:Well we both jumped up in alarm, ran upstairs and went into the room and there was nothing amiss, not a bit of furniture had been moved. We looked into the other rooms to see if anything had fallen over, but again, nothing untoward. It was really strange and neither of us could understand what had caused the noise, or where it had come from.

Some days later, we heard girls giggling in one of the bedrooms and we both looked at each other and thought, "there is something not quite right about this place." Neither of us wanted to voice the word, "haunted" because both him and me wanted to try and find a rational explanation for what had occurred. We heard the giggling again and it seemed to be coming from the room which was our bedroom. We looked outside to see if any children had got into the garden, but seeing as the light was fading of the evening and this cottage was on a main road with no neighbouring properties, we pretty much knew it wouldn't be local children, well not in the physical sense!

So one day when the weather had taken a turn for the worst, I was flicking through the guest book. I always do this at every cottage I've stayed at. I love reading other people's thoughts about a place. Anyhow I came across this entry, which gave me goosepimples, it said, "lovely cottage, but I wish the ghost would pay her share of the rent!" :oops::oops:

We were rather relieved to be home and we often talk about the "haunted cottage" both agreeing that it is a place we will not return, nor recommend!:giggle:
Omg that sounds terrifying! I love paranormal things but my cottage really freaked me out. Would love to spend a night or two where you went though x

Reactions: 5
My Mum has encountered quite a few incidents with spirits or alike. She is a Nurse.

Her most remembered -

She trained as a Nurse in a old Military Hospital and whilst working a night shift when she was Qualified she was instructed to a ward with another Nurse. The ward was a end of life ward, none of the patients were able to get out of bed.

The Hospital had many wings and wards and was supervised by one Matron who circulated the Hospital. The ward was secured by two Fire Exit style doors which were locked as standard and the only keys were kept in the Nurses station or on the Matron. Mum said they were massive heavy doors and only opened in one direction and took an almighty push to open.

Mum had just done the checks and she was sat in the Nurses Station with the other Nurse, when they heard footsteps. The Footsteps were coming from the direction they expected the Matron from. Mum said the room went ice cold like you could see your breath. She just froze as did the other Nurse.

The double doors both opened the wrong way, foot steps went down the ward, past them and then to the other set of doors which opened the wrong way. Mum said then the temperature rose and she and the other Nurse just looked at each other and then they went and made a drink.

Mum went and tried both doors with the key and they were both locked, and on unlocking it was not possible for the doors to open the other way.

Another....

Mum was tending to a lady with severe Dementia and the lady hadn't spoken for years. Mum said the room went uncomfortable and her and the lady just stayed still. After a couple of minutes the lady looked and my Mum and said 'its ok my dear they've gone now'.

My Mum has seen loads of odd things and she said that its almost standard in a Hospital - :O
I've just read a book called Ghosts of the NHS and it was written by a clairvoyant who used to be a Nurse. It is an interesting read.

Omg that sounds terrifying! I love paranormal things but my cottage really freaked me out. Would love to spend a night or two where you went though x
It was in a hamlet called St. Hilary, near a village called Goldsithney.

Almost exactly the same albeit only almost 2 Years! I can remember feeling absolutely terrified when in the house literally all the time, constantly waiting for the next thing to happen! I was terrified having to go back there at the end of a day!

I’d consider myself an introvert and like time on my own but I would never be in that house on my own, I would always have people round but even then something would happen and we’d look at each other and say shall we go out, or I’d find an excuse to go out if my hubby was out, after the first few weeks I was never there alone!

Almost all of our goings happened upstairs, apart for a door slamming, tv coming on and a visitor sitting at our dining room table completely on edge saying every time the turned their head they could see someone standing in the kitchen from the corner of their eye (who was I trying to kid haha) but predominantly it all happened upstairs. Our stairs separated the living room/ dining room, straight stair case with 3 steps that came of at an angle into the dining room! One night my husband and I had finished dinner and were talking (probably about the ghost, looking back it’s crazy how much of my life that house consumed) and i can remember clear to this day there were footsteps as if someone was walking down the last three steps and what sounding like a foot landing on the laminate floor! That moment there was me done, the landlord got the notice the next day! It felt like it was warning us it wasn’t going to stay upstairs anymore! I have chills writing this!

I often drive nearby and think I’d love to ask the current owners if they have experienced anything!
I got goosepimples reading that. :rolleyes:😱

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I've just read a book called Ghosts of the NHS and it was written by a clairvoyant who used to be a Nurse. It is an interesting read.

It was in a hamlet called St. Hilary, near a village called Goldsithney.

I got goosepimples reading that. :rolleyes:😱
Thank you! X

I used to work in pub in a very old historic village in Essex, I was walking Home down the hill after my shift it had just gone mid night. I saw a man in a top hat and a long jacket walk into the telephone box, I didn’t see him come out but when I walked past he wasn’t in there either xx

• Wow
Reactions: 12
I used to work in pub in a very old historic village in Essex, I was walking Home down the hill after my shift it had just gone mid night. I saw a man in a top hat and a long jacket walk into the telephone box, I didn’t see him come out but when I walked past he wasn’t in there either xx
Oh fascinating, I am curious to know where abouts in Essex it was.

Just thought I'd bump this thread up as we're now in the spookiest month of the year and all that...

I was speaking to my sister at the weekend and she told me she'd seen something very similar on the road I saw my vanishing man (from my story above). She was driving down the same lane with her (then) husband one night when someone stepped into the road, but vanished as their car went by him.

They both looked to see if he was stood behind the car but nothing. I should add my sister's ex is a very seriously minded financial services consultant and definitely not someone who held much truck with ghost stories, but he had to sleep with the lights on that night!

I'm going to do some research to see if anybody else has seen something on that road. Its completely fascinating (and I'll defo be taking the long way round at night for the next few months!)

• Wow
Reactions: 13
Me again 👋🏻 I heard some talking today, it was too quite for me to hear the words, I was home alone and the windows were shut. I thought it was coming from my iPad as I just finished a lesson on teams but every was logged off xx

• Wow
Reactions: 3
the other was my sister had bought a terrace house and in the shed was all little walking sticks and a medical box, we found out an old nurse had lived in the house before her, well my sister asked me to babysit her son and she had baby monitors on the wall, she also had big old fashioned oak paneled doors in every room, one night as I was baby sitting I heard a mans voice say quite loudly "See to the baby" I looked around and there wasn't a soul there so I said the baby monitors have picked up other people talking , I settled down again, then a woman came over the Monitor saying "didn't you hear him see to the baby" at which point I shot off upstairs leaving the oak door wide open, when I got upstairs the baby was awake and looking over to the corner of the room smiling, at that point when I looked where he was looking to I felt a cold sensation and downstairs heard the oak door slam shut, a cat outside screamed out well to say I s**t myself was an understatement I grabbed the baby went into another room and stayed there until my sister got home, when she came in I was physically trembling, she said Oh I take it you met him then, I didn't want to stay there but ended up staying but was awake all night , she said she had never heard the womans voice just the man and had walked through him on the stairs but oddly didn't feel scared just sad , I never visited again when she wanted me to babysit I asked her to bring him to our house it freaked me out so badly
This gave me full on goosebumps.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.