True ghost stories 👻

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It sounds it ❤ My auntie sends me and my sisters butterflies when things are getting a little rough xx
When anything big is happening in our family we see a ladybird. It started happening when my maternal gran died. We always greet it as if it's her 💗🐞

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I have previously shared experiences on here about about my own personal ghostie bloke who has been with me for decades who moves home with me wherever I go. He has been very quiet for a year or so, up until last week when my kitchen scissors disappeared from the drawer where I keep them in the cutlery tray with the teaspoons. OH denied having them and not putting them back indeed he was moaning that he couldn't find them earlier when he wanted them, so I assumed they'd somehow been thrown away or mislaid and resolved to buy another pair. Meanwile I emptied the drawer completely just in case the scissors had slipped down the back of the tray or been put in another compartment yet they were defintely NOT there thus I went and bought another pair of big black handled snips, popped them into the tray and left it at that.

Now imagine my surprise when yesterday I was putting the washing-up away, opened the cutlery drawer to drop the clean stuff in and there alongside the black scissors was the missing pair of orange handled scissors! He'd brought them back after a week and then last night I followed OH off to bed switching off the lights etc as I went but he came down this morning saying I'd left the lounge light and the hall lights on too - I know I hadn't! - specifically as I got up to visit the loo during the night I would have seen the hallway light if it had been on whereas all I did see was one of the solar lamps in a pot by the front door shining through the glass panels. I had not left any lights on and I know that for a fact so this can only be my old friend again reminding me he's still here. The odd thing is the coincidence because only a couple of days ago my brother sent me a photo of our grandparents that a distant cousin had sent him, the only photo I have of them, and suddenly up pops my Guest again! I find it heartwarming and reassuring TBH :)

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I worked in a hospital and heard someone sigh right behind my ear, I was expecting it to be another nurse and turned round and no one was there 🤷🏻‍♀️ My old dog used to come up the stairs and sleep on the landing by my door and after she died, a few times I heard little footsteps coming up the stairs then what sounded like her settling outside the door. There’s always a very cold feeling at the bottom of the stairs, my dad said he saw a glimpse child going up the stairs and a pair of riding boots at the bottom of the stairs.
(Our house is about 200 years old and what was farm workers cottages)

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
I am loving all these spooky stories!!

I grew up in a terraced house built in 1908, there was no number 33 on our road as a builder died on that site and so they just left a metre wide gap between 31 and 35 as they were too superstitious to build on the land where he died. There were no other gaps in between any other houses on the road and the gap was always dark and creepy looking!
In our house, which my grandparents bought in 1960 (no clue who lived there before), we would experience so many different strange goings on and only myself and my siblings saw any of our little ghost residents.
A few of our encounters were -
  • When I was 8, I fell over by the front door and a woman in a maid outfit helped me up off the floor
  • I used to see a small boy (about 3) with a sailor hat on in the reflection of the hallway mirror - I would never look in that mirror at night
  • A floating woman in a long white nightgown would go across the upstairs landing - seriously gave me the spooks when I went to pee one night and left the door open!
  • The face of a little girl could sometimes be seen in a small window looking out from the loft as we would walk upstairs
  • A woman used to run between the wall of my bedroom and into the downstairs loo
  • My grandad would be in the front room and would turn the TV off at the socket (it was his bedroom when he was no longer mobile) - i think he wanted some quiet time!
  • His brother would be on the upstairs landing holding a brandy glass
  • There was a presence of a woman in one bedroom upstairs - not a good energy, but there was also a little boy who would make the room feel calmer again
  • Things would always go missing and end up in places in the house where they shouldn't have been, like my slippers were once outside the back door when I would never have work them out and no one else would have done that
  • There would be a banging under the stairs sometimes but there was nothing in there apart from a bike. No pipes, no mice, it would sound like someone knocking on a door
When my nan passed away, I went to the house to find a few bits of paperwork for my dad and I was completely alone. I had never felt the house so calm. It was like they were all waiting for her to join them. I've never been back after that day and now it's sold. I do wonder if the ghosties are causing mischief for the new owners!
edit - spelling mistake

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
  • Things would always go missing and end up in places in the house where they shouldn't have been, like my slippers were once outside the back door when I would never have work them out and no one else would have done that
Thats what I have! Or stuff reappears right in front of you where you most certainly would have seen it long before when its turned up again, like with the scissors returning exactly where they'd vanished from.

Some years ago OH's belt vanished from where he dumps all his work stuff on the floor and of course I got the blame for "moving it and tidying up................................" In fact I had'nt touched the darn thing so I went and bought him a new one to shut him up, then a week or so later I had some boxes to put back into the storage room over the barn where I rarely go and there on an old chair was Himself's belt in a neat coil on the seat! Everything else was dusty except the belt! Neither of us had been over there for some time either so how did it get there??

• Wow
Reactions: 13
When anything big is happening in our family we see a ladybird. It started happening when my maternal gran died. We always greet it as if it's her 💗🐞
I went to a close friend's brothers funeral a while back.
He had a really troubled life due to struggling with both drug and alcohol addictions but in his final years had really sorted his life out and was doing well when he died.
Out of all her friends he had mentioned that i was the only one that ever gave him time and talked to him nicely.
His funeral was very sad - he died in tragic circumstances (nothing to do with his previous issues) and the small number of guests were mainly there for my friend.
As the service was being conducted I opened my order of service a ladybird flew out of it and buzzed around the mourners before landing again this time in my handbag.
It did bring a smile to my face as i could see him sending this to try and make us all laugh

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Blimey. I didn't even know Hat Man was a thing until reading that but I used to see him all the time in my 20's. I always just thought it was weird dreams as it was only when I was asleep but he was always following me, I couldn't get away from him and I couldn't see his face. Even down to the fedora and trenchcoat!! How weird is that? I'm going to have to look more into it.
I ended up having to look into him a while back and it really scared me!
My 2 sons share a room, one is 21 and the other 14.
About a year or so ago my eldest son told me that he woke one night to see a shadowy figure with a hat hunched over his brother who was sleeping. He said that as he sat up to make out why I might have been in their room, and with that the figure walked out the room. He said it was like he was hunched over, like you would if you were creeping out.
I was terrified that something evil had come for my youngest son! 😰

It's not the first time he's seen something either, so I don't know if he's gifted.
When he was about 3/4yrs he asked me who the workman was that was using the bathroom in the mornings.
Then one day he asked why the same workman was walking through our kitchen and hallway.
I was in the kitchen at the time and no one was there, but he was really shouting at me that I had to go into the hall to see what the man was doing. I went and of course nothing was there, but he was so confused and convinced at what he'd seen.
I happened to mention this to my neighbours a while after it happened. With that my neighbours husband suddenly left and went in his house and came back with an old photo of 3 men (one of them being my neighbour when he was younger) and asked me to show my son.

I swear on my kids lives what I'm about to say is true, even though it doesn't sound it... I showed him and the first thing he said was "why does their tele look like that?" 😂 Then he pointed to one man and said "That man uses the toilet in the morning".
The man he pointed to was my neighbours brother who passed away about a year before we moved in. He didn't die in our house, but he did live here for a few years.

My son has no memory of this at all, and he never saw him again after I'd spoken to my neighbour. I often wondered if his brother stuck around until knew my neighbour knew he was alright

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
I don't really have any ghosts stories to add but I am loving reading everyone else's experiences. Although I really need to stop reading them in bed as it freaks me out at 1am in the morning 😂

It's not really a ghost story but what I will say is that when I was a teenager, my best mate lived above a pub that her family ran and she said she always heard something when she went into the cellar and said she wanted me to do an oiuja board with her. Anyway, I told my dad - who was the strongest atheist I knew and very logical and scientific - said to me do not do that very firmly in a weird tone. I asked why not and he said he'd done one once and it was a horrible experience. I pressed for more details but he said no. Which is weird for my dad because we'd talk about all sorts. I'm guessing that he saw something / something happened. He's not the kind of person that would make stuff like that up. I've never done one following his advice and don't intend to - I definitely think there is a spiritual world (not religious).

Reactions: 11
My neighbour’s son in law had mental health issues and he was always very down. His marriage ended badly but he still stayed friendly with my neighbour.

During one conversation she told him she just wanted to see him able to smile. Shortly after, he hanged himself.

She tells me she went to his home soon after the funeral, to check it was ok and pick up a few items he’d borrowed. She swears she saw him in his hallway with his back to her. He turned to her, smiled and disappeared.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I used to live in a shared house with my friend and her 3 year old daughter. It was a normal suburban semi but for some reason everytime I went upstairs I had run back down the stairs as it felt spooky. My boyfriend at the time was a rough tough biker and he ran into the sitting room one day going OMG I don’t know what it is but I always have to leg it down the stairs from the loo…..
my bedroom was downstairs and the little girls room was above mine. One night I head adult footsteps go across the room and assumed she’d called for her mum and she’d gone in. The next day we were having a cuppa and little girl was playing on the other side of the room totally obli to us. I asked my friend if her daughter had woken up and shed gone into her and she said no. I said how weird I heard footsteps and the daughter looked at me and said “oh auntie …….. it was a ghost! It was really scary”

• Wow
Reactions: 13
I love reading these but they scare the crap out of me always find myself reading at night 😂😂 I don’t really have any ghost stories but when my grandmother past away I would occasionally get a whiff of her scent and smell it was strange. My aunt had a bit of an experience when my grandmother passed away she was cremated and my auntie kept her ashes in the garage at her house as we had all planned to get together as a family to scatter them (this was pre covid 2018) she woke up one morning and went down to the kitchen and was standing at the window which overlooks her back garden and noticed that there was footprints across the grass, she said they where clear as day as if someone had been walking over it in their bare feet kind of spooked me

Reactions: 6
why do I read this thread when my husband is working away and I can’t sleep 😅 I’m such a scaredy-cat but really enjoy reading everyone’s experiences

I'm friends with the Sandeman family. Remember the kids having alllll the merchandise back in the early 2000s and it creeped me out too! (Never told them this...maybe I should?!) - Not sure on the history of the image. I've always assumed it's just a silhouette of a cape wearing port drinker.
Boring fact from a Port fan -The cape is student cape from the university of the city of Porto. The hat is a sombrero in a nod to Spanish Sherry. I remember my grandad having a bottle of it in his living room when I was little and the logo freaked me out too. I’m a bit scared to look up hat man 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 7
So the hat man...
My best friend is quite a spiritual, easy-going person and has had a lot of ghostly encounters, they seem to be drawn to him, and he never feels scared. But he says the hat man has visited him regularly since he was a teenager, and that every time he sees him he's filled with dread, the man truly terrifies him. He barely talks about it because it scares him so much (as well as me and our other friend), but he did tell me he saw him again recently as he came out of the bathroom, the man was watching him get back into bed across the landing. I'd be shutting the effing door 😳😂

I'm one of those "scared of the idea but skeptical they're real" people. I find it all so interesting but then I'm always thinking there must be a logical, scientific explanation for the things people experience 🤷🏼
I kind of get it when someone is very open to the idea they are more likely to have an experience because their minds are alert for that sort of thing. It's when you hear the stories from people that closed their minds off to the idea and they suddenly have an experience!! It's so fascinating.
I've never completely closed my mind off to it but I have also never really experienced anything.

Me and my partner keep joking we have a ghost kitty. Just to funnily explain when I can see my ginger cat in my peripheral vision only to realise he's in the other room, or when our cat randomly howls excitedly at our dining room door or the corner of our lounge, we just say he's chatting to the ghost kitty 😂👻 the previous owners did have cats!

Reactions: 10
So the hat man...
My best friend is quite a spiritual, easy-going person and has had a lot of ghostly encounters, they seem to be drawn to him, and he never feels scared. But he says the hat man has visited him regularly since he was a teenager, and that every time he sees him he's filled with dread, the man truly terrifies him. He barely talks about it because it scares him so much (as well as me and our other friend), but he did tell me he saw him again recently as he came out of the bathroom, the man was watching him get back into bed across the landing. I'd be shutting the effing door 😳😂

I'm one of those "scared of the idea but skeptical they're real" people. I find it all so interesting but then I'm always thinking there must be a logical, scientific explanation for the things people experience 🤷🏼
I kind of get it when someone is very open to the idea they are more likely to have an experience because their minds are alert for that sort of thing. It's when you hear the stories from people that closed their minds off to the idea and they suddenly have an experience!! It's so fascinating.
I've never completely closed my mind off to it but I have also never really experienced anything.

Me and my partner keep joking we have a ghost kitty. Just to funnily explain when I can see my ginger cat in my peripheral vision only to realise he's in the other room, or when our cat randomly howls excitedly at our dining room door or the corner of our lounge, we just say he's chatting to the ghost kitty 😂👻 the previous owners did have cats!
Your first paragraph is creepy..!
I’ve only seen him once but I won’t forget it, I still don’t understand it tbh, I was wide awake but lazing in bed at the time. The house had a horrible vibe so he was the last straw and I moved 😂

My old bloke is being busy again. Last week my belt vanished from the shelf in my wardrobe, it was the one I use when I put my scruffies on for cleaning out the animas etc and yes I was pretty narked so I said "Come on *******! Give me my belt back please!" then left it at that. Three days later the belt reappears on the shelf in a neat coil next to the other one, exactly where I'd left it to begin with. He seems to have a thing about belts for some reason :)

Reactions: 11
My old bloke is being busy again. Last week my belt vanished from the shelf in my wardrobe, it was the one I use when I put my scruffies on for cleaning out the animas etc and yes I was pretty narked so I said "Come on *******! Give me my belt back please!" then left it at that. Three days later the belt reappears on the shelf in a neat coil next to the other one, exactly where I'd left it to begin with. He seems to have a thing about belts for some reason :)
Omg maybe he was a belt maker or something scary like he hung himself with a belt 😰

• Wow
Omg maybe he was a belt maker or something scary like he hung himself with a belt 😰
Now I do know that at the old Pub where his handiwork became more apparent someone did hang themself in one of the outbuildings but I have grown of the opinion that my old friend is not this person but is my own belovéd Grandad instead. There is no malice in the things he does you see, its all simply reminders of "I'm still here!" and he has been with me since I left the family home at 21, however TBH I like the idea that Grandad is still with me wherever I go and another reason why I talk to him :) OH says I am barmy though and its just Me losing stuff because I am going crackers :)

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Not so much a ghost story but the story is kinda creepy but also sad....

There was a well-known medium in my surrounding area that everybody raved about. I've had a few friends who had been to see him and told me how amazing he was, he knew personal stuff that was impossible to know. I got goosebumps just by the stories that different friends had told me. Anyway, a few weeks ago he wrote a status on facebook saying he was getting the feeling of a major incident. I remember seeing it just after he wrote it and then a couple weeks later he sadly passed away.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Love reading others experiences

The night before my nana died she appeared to me in a dream and said don't worry I'm ok now then left. Then 6 months later appeared in a dream I had about a family christening we had had after she had passed. She was sat next to my grandad smiling but not saying anything.
The same night my friends dad died I dreamt the exact details around his passing- he was surrounded by his family as his body lay in bed but he stood back and watched, happy they were all there.
I'm not sure if theres any more to it than just dreams but I do get a bit of comfort from it.

Since I was little I've always had strange goings on around me, feeling a presence, having dreams that predict things etc.

Not sure If you're still here as I know this was posted years ago but I'm the same! I dream things that are going to happen, usually bad things or death unfortunately. When I was about 18 I dreamt my dad had cancer, even down the exact cancer he had. I told my mum and siblings that dad wasn't well ect (they are divorced). A little while later he sat us all down and told us he had the cancer I had predicted. I've dreamt other things too surrounding death. I will have to start writing them down as sometimes I think people won't believe me.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Not sure If you're still here as I know this was posted years ago but I'm the same! I dream things that are going to happen, usually bad things or death unfortunately. When I was about 18 I dreamt my dad had cancer, even down the exact cancer he had. I told my mum and siblings that dad wasn't well ect (they are divorced). A little while later he sat us all down and told us he had the cancer I had predicted. I've dreamt other things too surrounding death. I will have to start writing them down as sometimes I think people won't believe me.
wow this is so scary, do you like having this "gift" or is it more of a burden?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.