Topshop Nostalgia

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do we reckon Topshop would have survived if it wasn’t for Phillip Green? I wouldn’t even have minded if they upped their prices if they kept their quality

Reactions: 10
Do we reckon Topshop would have survived if it wasn’t for Phillip Green? I wouldn’t even have minded if they upped their prices if they kept their quality
I reckon if Jane Shepherd had been able to stay around.. definitely

• Heart
Reactions: 4
The only losers in the scenario are the factory workers who were probably paid 3p to make the item.
Makes me feel better about buying only on sale when buying new fast fashion (an unfortunate necessity for some items that require specific fitting or trying on in person).

And agreed, Jane Shepherdson actually cared about fashion and that women had decent quality clothing.

Reactions: 3
Makes me feel better about buying only on sale when buying new fast fashion (an unfortunate necessity for some items that require specific fitting or trying on in person).

And agreed, Jane Shepherdson actually cared about fashion and that women had decent quality clothing.
Yeh I don’t think buying fast fashion is awful when it’s done a select few times.. and ultimately these are industries that provide jobs and careers and opportunities for people.

It’s the boohoo/missguided/Zara models that just don’t work. And the whole dodgy supply chains which need to be changed

Reactions: 1
Wasn't it alleged Topshop tanked because of some shady business practices rather than a decline? Im pretty sure early on there were talks of dodgy tax stuff and moving profits around, stuff like that

Seems to be Green's MO to buy a company, asset strip and sell. Although I remember saving very hard to buy a cami top from top shop in the mid 00s, very unusual pattern. Bought it and walked in to primark to see a weekend bag made out of exactly the same material 😯 4 x the material for less than a third of the price, so quality was sliding even then.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Seems to be Green's MO to buy a company, asset strip and sell. Although I remember saving very hard to buy a cami top from top shop in the mid 00s, very unusual pattern. Bought it and walked in to primark to see a weekend bag made out of exactly the same material 😯 4 x the material for less than a third of the price, so quality was sliding even then.
I think Jane shepherd left in 2005? After Green had basically overhauled topshop, and she couldn’t countenance hanging around to see further decline.

I remember splashing out (well, what was then splashing out for me as a poor student), £40 for a topshop jumper I fell in love with. It was a kinda ripped jumper but not really, maybe webbed is a better word in a mauve-grey colour.

I was basically inspired by Sophia from Belle Amie, who wore a similar jumper (maybe even the same one?) and pink skirt back in 2010 and student me thought this outfit was SERVING

IMG_6901.jpeg

my faith in topshop was greatly diminished when my beloved jumper bobbled and lost shape after a handful of washes. That was a bit of an eye opener into how topshop quality had gone downhill, I was paying 4 times the amount of a primark jumper which would’ve been similar quality.

Reactions: 6
I think Jane shepherd left in 2005? After Green had basically overhauled topshop, and she couldn’t countenance hanging around to see further decline.

I remember splashing out (well, what was then splashing out for me as a poor student), £40 for a topshop jumper I fell in love with. It was a kinda ripped jumper but not really, maybe webbed is a better word in a mauve-grey colour.

I was basically inspired by Sophia from Belle Amie, who wore a similar jumper (maybe even the same one?) and pink skirt back in 2010 and student me thought this outfit was SERVING

View attachment 2378979

my faith in topshop was greatly diminished when my beloved jumper bobbled and lost shape after a handful of washes. That was a bit of an eye opener into how topshop quality had gone downhill, I was paying 4 times the amount of a primark jumper which would’ve been similar quality.
I remember this jumper! And with regards to quality that’s exactly how I felt about asos clothes about 5 years ago, it used to be so good, now I rarely buy from there. Same with MONKI, their sizing is insane, quality non existent and always have to buy 3 sizes online - monki now charge £3 for online returned btw, same as Uniqlo!

• Wow
I remember this jumper! And with regards to quality that’s exactly how I felt about asos clothes about 5 years ago, it used to be so good, now I rarely buy from there. Same with MONKI, their sizing is insane, quality non existent and always have to buy 3 sizes online - monki now charge £3 for online returned btw, same as Uniqlo!
I really loved it but for some reason I have zero pictures wearing it? I’d love to find it on eBay, probably out of nostalgia more than anything as it’s not really my style anymore. I Can’t remember what I did with it or why I got rid of it!

I was looking back on old X factor performances and it is *peak* late noughties/early teenies fashion. It’s dated so badly - I guess because the stylists used items that were really, really on trend.

the buns, the bright red hair, the hot pants, the ultra thin elastic hair bands, the pale lipstick… omg it really took me back, I loved it.

the first time Cheryl Cole made an appearance after her Malaria (which I learned today was supposed to be a hospital stint for An eating disorder/overdose on diet pills…!!) I remember seeing the pictures and thinking she looked so cool, so low key. Just taking a casual walk to her local Starbucks. I searched for AGES for a lacy vest too at the time and tried to recreate the slouchy long sleeve white top Look.

looking back it was *clearly* a totally set up pap walk - what sort of pap is just casually waiting at a service station and just happens to come across bloody Cheryl Cole?

for me though this was peak Topshop era!

Reactions: 5
I’ve been keeping an eye on Vinted for some Topshop peep toe flats I had in Year 10. They were green, polka dot with a bow on the front. I used to wear them to school every day (against uniform code because I thought I was really cool and rebellious…).

They used to STINK to high heaven and there’s not a day that goes by that I don’t wish I still had them.

Clothes shopping just doesn’t hit the same as it did in 2005 when I couldn’t afford to buy anything more than a plain vest from Topshop.
I had these as well! Loved them so much.
---
Makes sense.

I don’t even think they are being sold at a loss on Roman road. That’s the tragedy of it.

I reckon a standard top is made for about 50p
I reckon the high street brand sells it for £40, make a profit of £35 which mostly goes to shareholders and high level corporate staff.

If it doesn’t sell, they sell it for £1 to market holders, still making a 50p profit or breaking even depending on overheads.

I reckon the stall holders sell it for £5 and make a £4 profit, but still a small profit.

The only losers in the scenario are the factory workers who were probably paid 3p to make the item.
Do you think that £5 also covers the cost of transporting it, warehousing it in the UK, the cost of actually selling it in terms of both wages and running costs (rent/energy) for the shop itself, though? I read a while ago that a lot of online returns never reappear for sale again online because it#s not cost-effective to have a person check it and re-add it to inventory.

I had these as well! Loved them so much.
---

Do you think that £5 also covers the cost of transporting it, warehousing it in the UK, the cost of actually selling it in terms of both wages and running costs (rent/energy) for the shop itself, though? I read a while ago that a lot of online returns never reappear for sale again online because it#s not cost-effective to have a person check it and re-add it to inventory.
Yeh I heard that moat of it just ends up thrown away as it is too much of a hassle for them to repackage it etc

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I bought a blue cotton (sort of looked like denim) shoulder bag in Topshop circa 2003, loved it and had it for years. All the way through uni I carried my books in it, I basically took it everywhere I went unless it was a night out because it was too big and not glam. I'm not sure what ever happened to it, I do remember it eventually getting very faded, I may have thrown it out on one of my many house moves. I don't think the zip ever broke or it ripped, it was very sturdy. I've googled it and can't find pictures of it

Wasn't it alleged Topshop tanked because of some shady business practices rather than a decline? Im pretty sure early on there were talks of dodgy tax stuff and moving profits around, stuff like that
Nah, it declined steeply. They went from collaborating with Christopher Kane to releasing landfill with the Jenner girls. It was sad really.
---
Anyone buy &other stories jumpers and find they bobble and look tatty really quickly?
Yes - I bought the current "mock neck" sweater in light blue last year -- they release it every A/W in different colours -- first wear, it bobbled to hell and I had to send it back for quality issues. I no longer buy knits from AllSaints too for the same reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Nah, it declined steeply. They went from collaborating with Christopher Kane to releasing landfill with the Jenner girls. It was sad really.
Ughh yes, when you put it like this - it really was sad.

I was obsessed with Topshop and thought it was the absolute height of fashion.
Christopher Kane...Kate Moss...Stella Vine...Ashish...Marques Almeida...JW Anderson...Mary Katranzou...

And then they produced this crap....
1692695618061.png
1692695661553.png

• Haha
  • Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Yes - I bought the current "mock neck" sweater in light blue last year -- they release it every A/W in different colours -- first wear, it bobbled to hell and I had to send it back for quality issues. I no longer buy knits from AllSaints too for the same reason.
That's the sweater I have too from AOS - gorgeous colours and looked great on the hanger but sadly did not wash well

Haven't tried All Saints knits, would hesitate to pay their prices
---
Ughh yes, when you put it like this - it really was sad.

I was obsessed with Topshop and thought it was the absolute height of fashion.
Christopher Kane...Kate Moss...Stella Vine...Ashish...Marques Almeida...JW Anderson...Mary Katranzou...

And then they produced this crap....
View attachment 2396661View attachment 2396662
That t shirt is absolutely awful and I can't stand the Jenners/Kardashians, they wear total trash fashion

Reactions: 2
What a trip down memory lane this thread has been!

I was a die hard Topshop fan probably 2002-2012 or there abouts

Never had money for it ar college -I was an indie/rock kid and got loads at charity shops during college - cord flares - band t- Woolly cardi vibes

then I got a job🤪 and I was IN love with the cool boho girl Kate Moss glasto vibes

Took a while to get on board with skinnies but then it was skinnies and cool Topshop flowing studded vest and or an embellished waistcoat going out for yearssssss

I also had this navy floral tea dress ( purple piping at edges) that was hands down the most flattering dress ever -teamed with my vintage brown cowboy boots from Urban outfitters and my Marlboro lights? Forget about it - I kissed so many lads in that dress😂😂

used to get so many cool girl dresses and bags there, shoes too

anyone in Ireland The Jervis one up the stairs! Then they opened the big one on grafton street ( used to be habitat- now empty I think)

God I used to adore going shopping in Dublin😊

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
then I got a job🤪 and I was IN love with the cool boho girl Kate Moss glasto vibes

Took a while to get on board with skinnies but then it was skinnies and cool Topshop flowing studded vest and or an embellished waistcoat going out for yearssssss
Yes!!!
Skinny jeans...ballet pumps...waistcoats..studded belts...denim cut off shorts...long chains...messy hair...slouchy bags...tea dresses...

• Heart
I just got some Joni jeans from asos Topshop and the quality is awful 😢 soo scratchy. Think asos are losing their way tbh- they seem most popular among the 35-45 lot at my work I guess for nostalgia? The younger lot don’t seem to shop there at all

• Sad
I just got some Joni jeans from asos Topshop and the quality is awful 😢 soo scratchy. Think asos are losing their way tbh- they seem most popular among the 35-45 lot at my work I guess for nostalgia? The younger lot don’t seem to shop there at all
Where do you think younger people shop, I’m 29 and can’t lie I’m struggling for ideas of where to shop these days

Where do you think younger people shop, I’m 29 and can’t lie I’m struggling for ideas of where to shop these days
They’re PLT and shein shite but yeah, no idea :( I haven’t actually got new clothes in ages, they’re all so rubbish. Been wearing my shorts from 2013 on repeat as just ordered some more from asos and they’re cheap and thin with a cheap zip that will break quickly

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.