Topshop Nostalgia

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Even though I’m not a mad fan of Kate I miss the days of the collaboration! I think she hit the mark really well and I remember when every girl at college was wearing a waistcoat. H&M also used to do lots of collabs as did MAC, I don’t think they are a big thing now?
I just bought a Kate Moss dress I've wanted for about 17 years through eBay haha. Can't for wait for it to arrive! I adored her collection and I remember them being cut really well and actually getting a lot of wear out of a couple of the pieces I bought. H&M were doing collabs as recently as a couple of years ago but now I feel the only collabs you see are influencers and fast fashion brands.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I just bought a Kate Moss dress I've wanted for about 17 years through eBay haha. Can't for wait for it to arrive! I adored her collection and I remember them being cut really well and actually getting a lot of wear out of a couple of the pieces I bought. H&M were doing collabs as recently as a couple of years ago but now I feel the only collabs you see are influencers and fast fashion brands.
I love this for you! I’m still waiting for size 6 topshop arson boots to appear on the internet for sale 😂

I love this for you! I’m still waiting for size 6 topshop arson boots to appear on the internet for sale 😂
We live in hope 🙏🤣 I'm still holding out for a River Island handbag I had in the 00s that fel apart from use that I loved so much ❤😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Same. It was my go to place if I needed something quickly. Like if you knew you needed some work pants or a jacket or a new dress or whatever you would always be able to find SOMETHING you liked, even if it was a little overpriced. I find myself going into Zara and half the time I see loads of nice stuff but the other half I can't find anything I'm looking for and the size mediums always sell out. Plus my local is the manchester exchange zara which is bleeping horrendous, its always so busy.
I miss the baller shoes so much, I had so many in different colours over the years

The ground floor of Topshop on Oxford Street was so much fun, all the bags and accessories. Actually all the floors were fun (bar the Miss Selfridge area, I never was a big fan of it)

Reactions: 5
likewise. I’m a size 12 now, but has similar issues when I was an 8-10.

clothing now is god awful quality. Even expensive brands can be awful.

plus, why does everywhere label size 12 as large?! It’s madness. Size 14-16 is not XL.

clothing manufacturing has gone to hell. It’s a shittier industry than it was 10 years ago and back then it was still awful. It’s the clothes, not us.
It’s really bad! I can’t count the amount of times I try on clothes and looking like a perfectly fine human, to some kind of malformed sausage buttoned into its skin wrong? I really try to go for less but great quality, even that is so-so and difficult financially in these times. When you just want something to shove on and not look like you’ve clothed yourself in potato sacking

Reactions: 4
The ground floor of Topshop on Oxford Street was so much fun, all the bags and accessories. Actually all the floors were fun (bar the Miss Selfridge area, I never was a big fan of it)
I can remember some of the songs from the shops playlist. Selecter - on my radio was a distinct one!

We live in hope 🙏🤣 I'm still holding out for a River Island handbag I had in the 00s that fel apart from use that I loved so much ❤😂
I’m sure you already know this but you can set alerts for things on vinted as well as eBay! I managed to find some nostalgic toys for my LO this way!

River Island’s bags used to be amazing, I had a really nice felted wool bag which sounds vile but was my everything! I later saw a similar material bag in a Mulberry sample sale but they wanted something silly for it and all the bags were somewhat damaged. I’m off to Google to find this bad boy!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Anyone buy &other stories jumpers and find they bobble and look tatty really quickly?

Reactions: 1
Anyone buy &other stories jumpers and find they bobble and look tatty really quickly?
YES! Bought one in a gorgeous green colour last winter. Bobbled before I could even get it washed! Never again, which is a shame as the style is lovely but quality not reflected in price tag.

Yes it’s so infuriating!! I’d expect it from Primark knitwear but not something i’ve forked out an arm and a leg for!

Same here for other stories! I bought a cardigan from them which is so bobbled now. I just don’t buy from them anymore, their prices are absolutely insane at the moment. . I like arket but again very pricey so just look second hand for them but their sizing is all over the place!

I remember the Edinburgh Topshop had a Photo Booth! Used to have a sequin hobo style bag, huge Sienna Miller style disc belt and skirt - absolute 00’s. My kids are all about Shein, PLT with online shopping with the exception of Primark. My moral compass really hates fast fashion now but Toppers, Jane Norman, Kookai etc were the same for me growing up. Thankfully Vinted is now my go-to.

I remember the Edinburgh Topshop had a Photo Booth! Used to have a sequin hobo style bag, huge Sienna Miller style disc belt and skirt - absolute 00’s. My kids are all about Shein, PLT with online shopping with the exception of Primark. My moral compass really hates fast fashion now but Toppers, Jane Norman, Kookai etc were the same for me growing up. Thankfully Vinted is now my go-to.
I loved using those photobooths when I was a teenager with friends, the ones thag made stickers

• Heart
Yes - I got a lovely one last winter and it didn't wash well. Disappointed as AOS not a cheap shop. Would think twice about buying again from them

Love a vinted find but I do miss how easy it was to just go into a shop and buy clothes. With vinted I have to do so much work to find something cause people don't bother with keywords and then I ask a million questions just to make sure it fits or what the material is or even more photos. Probably my standards are a bit higher now than they used to be but I hate having to resell the inevitable bad vinted purchase.

I have desperately been looking for decent quality black cotton jeans for ages. I have Levi's in other colours but even their quality for 90%+ cotton jeans has dropped and the black ones never seem to go below £75 on sale. I miss the days of Jamie jeans but they would wear away at the thighs after a year and I don't think I can squeeze myself into skinny jeans after wearing mum and straight leg jeans over the past few years.

Back to Topshop, I bought a couple of the ASOS Topshop bits recently and had to send them straight back. A dress which was actually 100% cotton, heavyweight, perfect maxi length on me but the bust was really gappy on the sides. Also bought a Miss Selfridge 100% cotton skirt which had an elastic on the back of the waist but zero stretch so I couldn't get it past my thighs, let alone my bum. So disappointing! And all the Topshop items are photographed so strangely, you can't even see what the clothing looks like.

Love a vinted find but I do miss how easy it was to just go into a shop and buy clothes. With vinted I have to do so much work to find something cause people don't bother with keywords and then I ask a million questions just to make sure it fits or what the material is or even more photos. Probably my standards are a bit higher now than they used to be but I hate having to resell the inevitable bad vinted purchase.

I have desperately been looking for decent quality black cotton jeans for ages. I have Levi's in other colours but even their quality for 90%+ cotton jeans has dropped and the black ones never seem to go below £75 on sale. I miss the days of Jamie jeans but they would wear away at the thighs after a year and I don't think I can squeeze myself into skinny jeans after wearing mum and straight leg jeans over the past few years.

Back to Topshop, I bought a couple of the ASOS Topshop bits recently and had to send them straight back. A dress which was actually 100% cotton, heavyweight, perfect maxi length on me but the bust was really gappy on the sides. Also bought a Miss Selfridge 100% cotton skirt which had an elastic on the back of the waist but zero stretch so I couldn't get it past my thighs, let alone my bum. So disappointing! And all the Topshop items are photographed so strangely, you can't even see what the clothing looks like.
It’s so so hard to find decent jeans but after searching through SO MANY here are the best I’ve found recently. I’m a size 16-18 / 5’4 for reference

Mango sienna kick flare jeans - these have some stretch but still study - they are on John Lewis site for £15.99 in the sale depending on size!

Levis 724 high rise straight (you can find them cheaper on other sites like Amazon and zalando

Levi's Women's Ribcage Straight Ankle Jeans - I’m not sure what cut you like at the bottom but there are a little wider at the bottom and 97% cotton. Again you find these cheaper on loads of different sites. Fit amazingly, if you buy the curve version size down.

Levis 501 crop (not sure what size you are but if over 16 they are available in plus size) they are very similar to ribcage but marginally more sturdier in cotton.

Dr Denim moxy straight

Wow these fit amazingly, true black in colour and texture is amazing kinda between a cotton and cord style - I can’t really explain it, fit really nice. Loads of different styles on Zalando

M&S Wide leg corduroy - tried these on the other day and fit really nice, but are wide leg! tried on the sienna corduroy version and couldn’t get past my thighs!! So inconsistent with sizing!

If you’re looking for a good maxi skirt - the Midaxi one on M&S fits and looks great - really good quality and only a little stretch - also available in indigo

I’ve heard good things about Abercrombie & fitch jeans but don’t think I have the energy to to buy another pair and return 😂😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Does anyone find Levi come up small waist is okay but thighs and bum even in mum style

Topshop died for me when the physical stores closed, haven't bought anything since - and in fairness, I stopped shopping there regularly around 2010 when I noticed a dip in the quality of the items I was buying. Only ever bought the odd item since then, and now its owned by ASOS I won't touch it (clothes aren't nice looking and I know quality wont be good)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.