Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Good morning guys! Mini melon slept till 6.30 this morning so the Cheerios before bed seemed to work šŸ˜Š thanks so much nap police! X

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Good morning guys! Mini melon slept till 6.30 this morning so the Cheerios before bed seemed to work šŸ˜Š thanks so much nap police! X
I think all kids are different anyway and function off whatever schedule suits them. My 2.5 yo doesnā€™t nap anymore and wakes at 6 and is in bed asleep by 6 with no wake up for food just sometimes has sips of his water bottle next to his bed. He eats breakfast as soon as he wakes and generally snacks throughout the whole day until dinner at 4:30pm. He also hasnā€™t had milk since 15 months old and heā€™s very active but the 13 or 14 hrs he goes without food he seems to have no issues with.

But Iā€™m glad you found a solution, can never go wrong with a bowl of cereal before bed! God I remember being a kid and that was my go to until my teens lol x

• Heart
Reactions: 5
need somewhere to offloadā€¦today I broke down sobbing in front of my 2 year old while we were playing in the garden. Basically itā€™s a build up of emotions, Iā€™m not sleeping more than 2 hours a night due to pregnant related ailments (this has been going on for weeks now), Iā€™ve got a few decorating renovations going on which has been stressful on top of a bad week last week plus toddler son had a few tough days too. I now feel absolutely terrible as when I looked up he was standing all sad with his petty lip out. All I could do was give him a massive cuddle and the whole day I keep looking at him and feel absolutely terrible šŸ˜ž

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
need somewhere to offloadā€¦today I broke down sobbing in front of my 2 year old while we were playing in the garden. Basically itā€™s a build up of emotions, Iā€™m not sleeping more than 2 hours a night due to pregnant related ailments (this has been going on for weeks now), Iā€™ve got a few decorating renovations going on which has been stressful on top of a bad week last week plus toddler son had a few tough days too. I now feel absolutely terrible as when I looked up he was standing all sad with his petty lip out. All I could do was give him a massive cuddle and the whole day I keep looking at him and feel absolutely terrible šŸ˜ž
Aw itā€™s ok youā€™re not terrible. Iā€™m sure we all definitely have these days! They do read us and tend to reflect how weā€™re feeling so itā€™s understandable but youā€™re pregnant and its so tough as it is let alone with the added hormones! I remember when I thought my toddler was depressed for a couple of weeks, it was the saddest thing ever and I felt like the worst mum in the world that maybe I wasnā€™t fulfilling his but he was just going through a growth spurt I think and ended up being ill so Iā€™m sure at some point we all feel terrible but it doesnā€™t last forever ā™„

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Iā€™m sorry you feel like this and I completely understand. It will pass eventually but just remember you are an AMAZING mum even when you arenā€™t feeling yourself.Itā€™s ok to show emotions infront of our kids. To be honest when me and my partner (her dad) split up, I was a mess for a while and none stop being upset etc and she knew at 1 years old. Her sleep was a mess, my emotions where all over the place and she could sense mummy wasnā€™t feeling great, she would often come over and cuddle me when I was sobbing.

Sometimes we need our kids cuddles more than they need ours šŸ„²

Can you have a self care night for yourself? Do something just for you and it might help a little. Sending hugs xxx

• Heart
I donā€™t think crying in front of your toddler is a bad thing. I think itā€™s important to explain why youā€™re upset in an age appropriate way and reassure them you are ok and that itā€™s not their fault or their responsibility to make you feel better. It can be helpful for them to see you work through your emotions so they can lead to do it themselves. Hope youā€™re feeling better soon ā¤

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Does anyone know any good online resources for help with speech delay/SALT? We have a referral for my 2.5 year old but the waiting list is months and Iā€™d love to do some extra stuff at home in the mean time. We already read to him loads, he loves books. We chat to him and narrate what weā€™re doing, what heā€™s doing etc. He can say a lot of words, just doesnā€™t use them in sentences or communicate very well. Thanks. x

Does anyone know any good online resources for help with speech delay/SALT? We have a referral for my 2.5 year old but the waiting list is months and Iā€™d love to do some extra stuff at home in the mean time. We already read to him loads, he loves books. We chat to him and narrate what weā€™re doing, what heā€™s doing etc. He can say a lot of words, just doesnā€™t use them in sentences or communicate very well. Thanks. x
Flash cards, stuff on YouTube, repetition defo! My daughter watches blippi no end and she knows at the end he says ā€œletā€™s spell my name B L I P P Iā€ and she says the letters out like he does and sheā€™s 2.5 too,stick with it. Is there any SALT stuff online you can download for him xx

How are you feeling today? X

• Heart
Reactions: 1
My son had (still has, but is saying a lot more) speech delay and he picked up so much from ā€˜little baby bumā€™
I speak to him all the time, when weā€™re home/out, talk about colours, count etc. he learnt all his colours and shapes from little baby bum x

I can vouch for little baby bum too! My little boy picked up a lot from that too. Yakka Dee on CBeebies was also a good one, my little boy loved watching that one

Does your son go to nursery or play groups? I found mine didn't really progress with his speech until he was in nursery, he started 2 years 3 months and was saying single words, knew all his animals, colours and shapes but struggled with sentences because he just didn't need to communicate with me as I was always pre empting his needs and knew what he meant. Being in a setting he was forced to develop and pick things up not just being around me and grandparents (thanks lockdown)

Thanks so much for the tips everyone, will try those! šŸ˜Š

Does your son go to nursery or play groups? I found mine didn't really progress with his speech until he was in nursery, he started 2 years 3 months and was saying single words, knew all his animals, colours and shapes but struggled with sentences because he just didn't need to communicate with me as I was always pre empting his needs and knew what he meant. Being in a setting he was forced to develop and pick things up not just being around me and grandparents (thanks lockdown)
Heā€™s just started going to a playgroup a few mornings a week so Iā€™m hoping that will improve his speech and get him communicating. Thatā€™s reassuring to hear it worked for your son. Thanks!

Have you tried to make him use sentences at home? For example, if he wants a drink - instead of him just saying ā€œdrinkā€ or ā€œjuiceā€ or whatever word he uses, stop him and say ā€œcan you ask me for your juice properly? Say, please May I have some juice?ā€ And donā€™t give him the juice until he attempts to say the sentence. That might sound a bit mean but we found particularly with our youngest there was a lot of pointing to things or using single words a lot so we had to spend time really coaxing the sentences out!!!!

Reactions: 3
Have you tried to make him use sentences at home? For example, if he wants a drink - instead of him just saying ā€œdrinkā€ or ā€œjuiceā€ or whatever word he uses, stop him and say ā€œcan you ask me for your juice properly? Say, please May I have some juice?ā€ And donā€™t give him the juice until he attempts to say the sentence. That might sound a bit mean but we found particularly with our youngest there was a lot of pointing to things or using single words a lot so we had to spend time really coaxing the sentences out!!!!
Second this completely. My elder two are brilliant talkers but we do have to reiterate a lot of the time about full sentences etc as kids are often quite lazy (if that is the right word here) and will just be like ā€œJUICE !ā€ ā€œMILK !ā€ and then just forget how to communicate properly/not pick up the right ways use the words they have. Iā€™ve seen my two struggle a bit when other adults arenā€™t quite as clued in/prepared to give into single word demands so I try to work on this a lot. Sometimes itā€™s so easy to be passive and not even realise youā€™re just giving into it because youā€™ve had about 28 single word demands in 3 minutes, I know I do all the time!

Reactions: 3
I will definitely give this a go and see how we get on. I predict he will find it annoying at first but Iā€™ll persevere as itā€™s for his own good!

I will definitely give this a go and see how we get on. I predict he will find it annoying at first but Iā€™ll persevere as itā€™s for his own good!
Well yeah he will!!!!!! But you sort of have to just persevere and not give in until he starts using proper sentences. He will 100% know the words and how to use them but heā€™s just being a bit lazy and doing the bare minimum because he can get away with it! šŸ¤£

Hi all, hope everyone is ok.

So iā€™m on holiday with my 2.5 year old and we are sharing a bed (we NEVER share a bed at all, never have, at first I was so excited but now Iā€™ve had enough) and two nights out of the week (we are here for 10) so far sheā€™s been wide awake at 3am for hours. I wonder if Iā€™m waking her up when Iā€™m moving around. I could sleep in the living room but the sofa isnā€™t that comfy but sheā€™s also started to wake up and wonder if Iā€™m still there?? its only been the two nights and to say we donā€™t bed share I think weā€™ve done wellšŸ˜‚

Also- should I try capping her nap if sheā€™s up at 3am (maybe too much sleep?) I just donā€™t know what to do. Weā€™re only here until Tuesday so not long to go till we are home.

Maybe itā€™s my own fault for letting her nap for over 2 hours yesterday šŸ˜Ŗ weā€™ve had such busy days she was just exhausted and I think her bad mood yesterday evening was related to too much naptime.

Sorry for the somewhat disjointed post I am exhausted! She woke up at 3am last night and didnā€™t go to sleep until 5:30am, up at 8! šŸ˜§

Also one thing thatā€™s come into my head is that she wonā€™t smile for photos. Is this normal? She doesnā€™t smile on demand šŸ˜‚

Last edited:
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.