Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi guys. Just wondering if I can get some fellow parental opinions.

Took my 2.5 year old daughter to A&E Thursday night. Basically the childminder told me when I picked her up, that she's choked on some food at lunch and been sick, but that she was otherwise ok and just scared herself a bit mainly. Anyway, when we got home, she was hysterical, kept putting her fingers in her mouth, gagging, pulling these weird faces and sticking her tongue out and just generally miserable. So I rang 111 as I was worried that maybe some food was still lodged or something. The GP told me to go to A&E. They were a bit off with us and made us feel like we'd wasted their time, but they listened to her lungs and tried their best to look in her mouth (difficult!) and said nothing was there but maybe her throat was just sore from being sick or she was traumatised etc.
Roll on the next morning, she wakes up with a raging temp of 39.9. I instantly have visions of this being connected and her having bloody sepsis or something so we ring 111 again. After an age on hold, they say to wait for a callback from a GP. 5 hours later, the GP books us a face to face appointment. We turn up, GP is fuming we haven't done a lateral flow (my bad but I don't have any and I'm not paying!). Basically checks her temp which is lower by now as we've given Calpol etc, listens to her chest, checks briefly in her mouth and diagnoses tonsillitis.
NOW my issue is, the doc at the A&E the night before actually expressly said 'her tonsils are quite big but not red and definitely not infected'.
We've been given antibiotics (Penicillin V) but I cannot get them in to her for love nor money. 4 of us pinning her down and she still won't open her mouth and I've tried everything. She gets so distressed she then vomits and it's a waste of time. Can't put it in yoghurt or juice as it's bright orange, so she notices the colour change and the taste and just refuses it.

I know antibiotics are important but:

1) I'm wondering how two different GPs can have such differing opinions when they barely looked in her mouth in the first place.
Also she now has a runny nose and cough, which surely is a virus and ABs won't work?
2) Is it worth distressing my daughter and making her vomit? Disguising it is just not working and I'm worried she'll refuse to eat or drink even the tiny amount she is now having, as she suspects me of hiding it in her food.

If you read all this, thank you :)
You’ve had some shocking care there, you were 100% right to seek help and you’ve been somewhat fobbed off.
Antibiotics can be hard work to get in. Is it that she doesn’t like the flavour? If so you can request something else for her which she may find more palatable. But yes, I find GPs still massively over prescribe ABX for things when they aren’t needed.
I would request a change in prescription and if she is still refusing them there isn’t much you can do really.
Hope she feels better soon

Reactions: 4

Took my 2.5 year old daughter to A&E Thursday night. Basically the childminder told me when I picked her up, that she's choked on some food at lunch and been sick, but that she was otherwise ok and just scared herself a bit mainly. Anyway, when we got home, she was hysterical, kept putting her fingers in her mouth, gagging, pulling these weird faces and sticking her tongue out and just generally miserable. So I rang 111 as I was worried that maybe some food was still lodged or something. The GP told me to go to A&E. They were a bit off with us and made us feel like we'd wasted their time, but they listened to her lungs and tried their best to look in her mouth (difficult!) and said nothing was there but maybe her throat was just sore from being sick or she was traumatised etc.
Roll on the next morning, she wakes up with a raging temp of 39.9. I instantly have visions of this being connected and her having bloody sepsis or something so we ring 111 again. After an age on hold, they say to wait for a callback from a GP. 5 hours later, the GP books us a face to face appointment. We turn up, GP is fuming we haven't done a lateral flow (my bad but I don't have any and I'm not paying!). Basically checks her temp which is lower by now as we've given Calpol etc, listens to her chest, checks briefly in her mouth and diagnoses tonsillitis.
NOW my issue is, the doc at the A&E the night before actually expressly said 'her tonsils are quite big but not red and definitely not infected'.
We've been given antibiotics (Penicillin V) but I cannot get them in to her for love nor money. 4 of us pinning her down and she still won't open her mouth and I've tried everything. She gets so distressed she then vomits and it's a waste of time. Can't put it in yoghurt or juice as it's bright orange, so she notices the colour change and the taste and just refuses it.

1) I'm wondering how two different GPs can have such differing opinions when they barely looked in her mouth in the first place.
Also she now has a runny nose and cough, which surely is a virus and ABs won't work?
2) Is it worth distressing my daughter and making her vomit? Disguising it is just not working and I'm worried she'll refuse to eat or drink even the tiny amount she is now having, as she suspects me of hiding it in her food.

Oh no this sounds distressing for everyone involved. I’m sorry you’re going through this at the moment x

My thoughts are:

Can you get penicillin in suppository form? I’m sure they only do amoxicillin. It’s not the best as it will go up her bum however it’s better than forcing her and pinning her down.. she can’t exactly take it out either.

I would think she’s maybe got a sore throat and won’t eat much either, can you offer ice cream? Regarding her eating she will eat when she’s hungry and she defo won’t starve, keep an eye on her nappies/weeing etc x

Give the antibiotics time to work if you can get something into her properly and go from there. I imagine her mouth and throat etc is sore too. Call her GP or 111 and explain you’re struggling to get any into her. X

Reactions: 3

If you can’t get the medicine down her then I think you’ve sort of answered your own question. The only other thing I can suggest is to mix it up with something like a capri sun or put it in a carton of juice so that she can’t see the colour and hope she will just suck the straw and down it before she realises.
It could be tonsillitis or just a cold. I think just keep an eye on her over the next 24hrs. Keep taking her temperature and if she gets any worse or her temp gets higher and isn’t coming down, call 111 back.

Thought I'd do a update, unfortunately shops don't have anbesol liquid here, but they did have somthing called dentinox an it worked amazingly well plus it must taste OK cause usually she won't let me open her mouth but she was happy to have this

So thought I'd say if you can't find anbesol liquid but can get dentinox then it works really good for teething an I believe it's from 3months up as well

Reactions: 3
Thought I'd do a update, unfortunately shops don't have anbesol liquid here, but they did have somthing called dentinox an it worked amazingly well plus it must taste OK cause usually she won't let me open her mouth but she was happy to have this

So thought I'd say if you can't find anbesol liquid but can get dentinox then it works really good for teething an I believe it's from 3months up as well
Aw fab!!!! Glad you found something to help!! 😊

Wow, thanks guys I thought I would be waiting ages for responses! :)

To answer a few q's:

It's not the flavour I don't think (though she doesn't like it) because as soon as she saw the syringe before even tasting any she just clammed up and went rigid. But yes, I tasted some myself and it is gross so that obviously doesn't help!
I think come Monday I will def ring the GP and ask if anything else (suppository or otherwise) is available, and explain how much trouble we're having. I just hate that this has happened on a weekend and nowhere is open on a Sunday!
Her temp is basically back to normal now, yesterday was the worst, but this morning she was back to 36.5 or something (may have been 37, I just remember the thermometer only beeped once to indicate it was normal)
Obviously I will keep an eye on it though.

Ugh I just hate seeing her miserable 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Aw fab!!!! Glad you found something to help!! 😊
Thank you

To answer a few q's:

It's not the flavour I don't think (though she doesn't like it) because as soon as she saw the syringe before even tasting any she just clammed up and went rigid. But yes, I tasted some myself and it is gross so that obviously doesn't help!
I think come Monday I will def ring the GP and ask if anything else (suppository or otherwise) is available, and explain how much trouble we're having. I just hate that this has happened on a weekend and nowhere is open on a Sunday!
Her temp is basically back to normal now, yesterday was the worst, but this morning she was back to 36.5 or something (may have been 37, I just remember the thermometer only beeped once to indicate it was normal)

Hoping your little one feels better soon, am still a new aunt an it's definitely not easy seeing them miserable, hope you get it sorted

Been through this! Took one of the kids doctors. Slight red throat, high temp, but nothing by the gp. Pretty sure her said viral 🙄 Not sure what happened next as it was a while ago, think the temp wasn’t coming down, and I took him up a&e. He had really bad tonsillitis. He was so poorly
I do find gps always say it’s viral but they always turn into something that needs antibiotics
I remember when my daughter was younger and it took 3 of us to pin her down to take the antibiotics and then threw up all over me 🙃 they don’t make them like they used to!
If i do struggle getting a certain one down, I ring the gp and they give me the other one x

Reactions: 1

To answer a few q's:

i feel your pain! My 2.5 year old daughter was unwell not last week, but the week before and she hardly ate for a week, I think maybe a sore throat and teething (2 molars to go then we have a full set of baby teeth😂). Getting calpol into her is awful nothing works at 3am!! Obviously by midnight it’s more or less worn off even if I give it before bed. I’m a single mum so trying to pin her down is so hard. Thankfully the calpol nights are few and far between now.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Guess I’m the only one who’s toddler loves calpol 😂
She will have it during the day mixed in Juice but nighttime is impossible. I dread it when she wakes up in pain or a temp cos it’s literally impossible. She isn’t at the age where she will take something from a teet at 4am🙄

Guess I’m the only one who’s toddler loves calpol 😂
My neice would drink the whole bottle if you let her lol, there's been times where I've taken it as well if I've had a bit of a cough as the ones designed for adults are just nasty, so I just double the dose for calpol for myself 😅

To answer a few q's:

Sorry to hear your little one is poorly and it sounds to have been a very stressful time for you all. The end of last year I rang out of hours as our son was really poorly on the Saturday night high temp screaming etc they didn’t even see us and fobbed me off oh it’s viral. Long story short we went to doctors on the Monday who sent us straight up to the children’s ward he was diagnosed with strep b in his throat as well as scarlett fever. They gave us antibiotics and I remember the fight of giving them to him. I even phoned my own doctor to ask for some advice she said if I could mix it with something t try that. The only way we could get him to take it was in his cows milk if he seen the syringe he screamed and ended up with more over him/us. He’s ok taking calpol thankfully. I hope your little one is feeling better soon just to thought I would share our experience with you as I know it’s hard especially when doctors make you feel like wasting time. But you aren’t your worried about your child and wanted reassurance/help which is never a bad thing ❤

• Heart

My son suffers chronic tonsillitis and unfortunately it does come on extremely fast so both doctors could have been right although doesn’t take away from the shocking care you received! The fact she was gagging on her food and has a raging temperature suggests tonsil inflammation and probably bacterial (you can’t always see the puss so don’t worry!)

Has she had amoxycillin recently by any chance? It’s unusual for them to prescribe Pen V from the get go in my experience as it’s absolutely vile. We’ve just been prescribed it but only after x2 other rounds of antibiotics for tonsillitis that won’t shift. Go back to the docs and ask for different ones. A nasty bout of tonsillitis can be completely awful and can lead to nastier infections so she needs to have them if she does have it so worth a shot asking for different ones. Hope she feels better soon! Lots of treats and rewards for taking it, we find chocolate buttons work a treat (also should just say tonsillitis can make them vomit easier anyway so if she’s feeling crappy anyway it’s a whole concoction for not a happy toddler!!) Xxx

• Heart
Before we came away on holiday my daughter 2.5 could only say a few numbers. Now she can say 1-10! This is literally within the last week. I can’t believe it tbh, does anyone have an explaination as to why it just clicks? At home we do numbers, letters, shapes and colours daily but it’s like a light has been turned on in her head. She told me today there was 3 apples in the fridge! She recognises the numbers on signs etc too. Just so shocked lol

My son suffers chronic tonsillitis and unfortunately it does come on extremely fast so both doctors could have been right although doesn’t take away from the shocking care you received! The fact she was gagging on her food and has a raging temperature suggests tonsil inflammation and probably bacterial (you can’t always see the puss so don’t worry!)

Has she had amoxycillin recently by any chance? It’s unusual for them to prescribe Pen V from the get go in my experience as it’s absolutely vile. We’ve just been prescribed it but only after x2 other rounds of antibiotics for tonsillitis that won’t shift. Go back to the docs and ask for different ones. A nasty bout of tonsillitis can be completely awful and can lead to nastier infections so she needs to have them if she does have it so worth a shot asking for different ones. Hope she feels better soon! Lots of treats and rewards for taking it, we find chocolate buttons work a treat (also should just say tonsillitis can make them vomit easier anyway so if she’s feeling crappy anyway it’s a whole concoction for not a happy toddler!!) Xxx
Thank you. No, she's never had anti biotics before at all, we were expecting amoxycillin ourselves and were surprised to get this. I'll ask in the morning for something else :)

Thanks

Thank you. No, she's never had anti biotics before at all, we were expecting amoxycillin ourselves and were surprised to get this. I'll ask in the morning for something else :)

Thanks
Doctors are so weird, they literally know the antibiotics kids hate taking I don’t know why they don’t at least try the nicer stuff before hand 😅

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.