Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks for the advice on night lights earlier in the week ladies. It turned out my mum was right and the 4yr old has been just weeing in her nappy when awake. No nappy last night and she was completely dry!

Reactions: 7
Curious on other children's speech.
My 4 year old has been talking from quite an early age.
However. She struggles to pronounce words.
I can't remember at all with my son if it was normal or not.
But I feel like I see other 4 year olds and their pronunciation is quite clear.
We often struggle to understand what she's saying.
I can understand her more but others have a hard time understanding her sometimes.

Just listening to her now say odd words and just picking some.. "Fwush" instead of flush.
"Drong" instead of Strong.
"Cwap" for Clap.
"Toiwet" for toilet
"Pway" for play

It seems to be S's and L's she struggles with.

Just wondering if it's normal or not 🤔
I'm a mum, but I'm a 1st time mum of an 8 month old, so not personal experience with my child. However my brother when he was little couldn't get his fs right or his ls right. He was always confusing people with what he meant.Anyway, he was at school at about the age of 7 I want to say, and mum was getting really worried about it, in the end she went to see a speech therapist. She always tells me the relief she felt when he said 'if all the children came in with this problem I'd be out of a job!' And instantly mum felt so much relief, I think my brother had a handful of sessions and was fine. What's interesting though is all of my family have thick stoke on trent accents, but my brother speaks with bo accent and so perfectly. He never uses slang or shortens words. He's got a lovely speaking voice.
This was 30+ years ago however, and I know things and advice change. But I just wanted you to know that I think alot of children have gone through it, my brother being one. But it turned out great for him. Good luck hun xx

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Any advice on stopping a toddler from climbing into bed with us? He goes to bed absolutely fine and no fuss, but every single night without fail he will wake up and cry to get into mummy and daddy’s bed. Sometimes the fight to stop and settle isn’t worth it as we are so knackered so we just give in and let him get straight into our bed but it’s becoming tiresome now getting kicked in the head every night by a 2 y/o 🙃
To be honest I have no advice as my nearly 4yo has slept in our bed every night for about 6+ months, I’m not too hell bent on this not happening as I am other things as I don’t mind co-sleeping but we tried taking him back consistently, reward charts, semi threats (nothing serious obviously 😂), lying in with him and nothing worked. BUT, just this week he’s started sleeping in his bed. No rhyme or reason, no fuss made, just has started sleeping alone again. Thankfully he was quite a still sleeper so no head kicking (that comes from my 2yo instead) but sometimes they just need an extra snuggle I guess, it is really tiresome though I totally empathise and hope you catch some decent zzzs soon xxx

Reactions: 5
To be honest I have no advice as my nearly 4yo has slept in our bed every night for about 6+ months, I’m not too hell bent on this not happening as I am other things as I don’t mind co-sleeping but we tried taking him back consistently, reward charts, semi threats (nothing serious obviously 😂), lying in with him and nothing worked. BUT, just this week he’s started sleeping in his bed. No rhyme or reason, no fuss made, just has started sleeping alone again. Thankfully he was quite a still sleeper so no head kicking (that comes from my 2yo instead) but sometimes they just need an extra snuggle I guess, it is really tiresome though I totally empathise and hope you catch some decent zzzs soon xxx
Once they start school they usually grow out of it ,baby cuddles are the best they grow up so quick we should savour every minute ,once they gain their independance they don't want to know anymore lol.

Not really an advice thing but if your kid went to nursery did you name label everything?? I’m looking at his wardrobe now and he’s got about 3000 pairs of trousers 😩🤣 I thought about just naming things like coats, fleeces, bag etc. I’m clueless!

Not really an advice thing but if your kid went to nursery did you name label everything?? I’m looking at his wardrobe now and he’s got about 3000 pairs of trousers 😩🤣 I thought about just naming things like coats, fleeces, bag etc. I’m clueless!
We named everything but we had a set few "Nursery outfits" so we didn't have to label all his clothes 😂

If you're not too worried about them possibly being lost, then I wouldn't worry.
I probably would with jumpers, shoes ect. Things they're likely to take off.
But it's not as often they'd be taking their trousers off ect unless they had an accident, in which case it would be a 1 on 1 change and straight into their bag

We named everything but we had a set few "Nursery outfits" so we didn't have to label all his clothes 😂

If you're not too worried about them possibly being lost, then I wouldn't worry.
I probably would with jumpers, shoes ect. Things they're likely to take off.
But it's not as often they'd be taking their trousers off ect unless they had an accident, in which case it would be a 1 on 1 change and straight into their bag
I was thinking coat, fleece, any jackets, shoes, bag. Any any ‘nicer’ bits he may end up in. I can’t label it all as it will take forever 🤣 I’ve got a few sets off Vinted specifically for nursery so I’ll label those as well. He’s only going 2.5 days a week so thank god there won’t be too much needing labelling 🤣 thank you!!

Name EVERYTHING! All clothing items, inside of shoes, bags, hats, gloves, the lot!!!!!!

set aside a bunch of “nursery” specific clothes. They get messy as all hell at nursery so send them in with the same clothes on rotation - they come home covered in mud, paint, pens, glue, lunch etc so just have sets of basic bits for nursery and save the other clothes for home. A tshirt/jumper and joggers or shorts is fine for nursery.

Name tag absolutely everything! Even pants!

@peachhes - I done a shop in primark. Got a few spare trousers, tops, socks and pants, and take that in when he’s in. The bag doesn’t get touched for anything but nursery. I haven’t named anything, but I named all of my 6 year olds uniform (year 1) and he has somehow come home in different polo shirts, that no one owns up to having, so I ended up keeping the crappy uniform 🙃😤

Reactions: 3
I was thinking coat, fleece, any jackets, shoes, bag. Any any ‘nicer’ bits he may end up in. I can’t label it all as it will take forever 🤣 I’ve got a few sets off Vinted specifically for nursery so I’ll label those as well. He’s only going 2.5 days a week so thank god there won’t be too much needing labelling 🤣 thank you!!
Get a stamp label. We have one from stamptastic, I have just our surname (which is unusual) so I can use it for all the kids. You just ink it on the pad and stamp once. It takes no time and lasts on the school clothes all year.

Reactions: 8
So glad to find this thread. I have searched to see if this has been asked about before but couldn’t see anything on it, which means it might just be me who’s a mug… my daughter is 2.5 and I still have to cuddle and rock her to sleep at night. I have to get her to sleep before she goes in the cot 99% of the time otherwise she just won’t go to sleep. I tried a few things when she was younger to try and get her to go to sleep independently but I just couldn’t take the crying so here we are.

Any advice or is anyone in the same boat?
My son is just over two and I have to cuddle/rock him in the rocking chair to sleep before I can put him down. No advice just wanted to say we are in the same boat but also I have to say I don’t mind it as it’s nice to have some cuddle time. I know every family is different in how they do things/what works for them

• Heart
really losing the will with everything lately. feel really let down by my sons HV. He just turned three this week and has speech delay. At his 2 year check which happened 5 months after he turned 2 (I know there is a back log since lockdown) but i expressed my concerns and she never followed it up, said he’d need more Time. And she’d ring back in a month. Never did … I rang loads and so did nursery. Still no help. Nursery decided to put him through their version can’t remember what it’s called… they said he’s too old as it’s only for kids up to 2?! and he’s still making no progess. And it makes me really sad. I just want to help him but feel I’m getting no where and can’t afford private 🙁🙁 just feeling A bit sorry for myself because he’s going through a really clingy stage. I go to work every day feeling guilty as hell cos he cries every morning at nursery / grandparents.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
really losing the will with everything lately. feel really let down by my sons HV. He just turned three this week and has speech delay. At his 2 year check which happened 5 months after he turned 2 (I know there is a back log since lockdown) but i expressed my concerns and she never followed it up, said he’d need more Time. And she’d ring back in a month. Never did … I rang loads and so did nursery. Still no help. Nursery decided to put him through their version can’t remember what it’s called… they said he’s too old as it’s only for kids up to 2?! and he’s still making no progess. And it makes me really sad. I just want to help him but feel I’m getting no where and can’t afford private 🙁🙁 just feeling A bit sorry for myself because he’s going through a really clingy stage. I go to work every day feeling guilty as hell cos he cries every morning at nursery / grandparents.
Sounds exactly like me!! My son has not long turned 3 and is not saying any words. I think he may be mildly autistic as there’s a list of things he does which would be seen as autism. Waiting for referral to be sorted for hearing/salt/autism test. But I was same with my HV… had 2 year check and she just kept saying to hold off for any intervening because of his age.. she’s now completely ignoring me so I went directly through my GP in the end. He’s starting nursery soon and I’m pretty confident they’ll also pick up what we have with the autism etc. Hope you get it sorted it’s a horrible feeling I’ve been crying over it for days worrying about it all x

• Heart
Sounds exactly like me!! My son has not long turned 3 and is not saying any words. I think he may be mildly autistic as there’s a list of things he does which would be seen as autism. Waiting for referral to be sorted for hearing/salt/autism test. But I was same with my HV… had 2 year check and she just kept saying to hold off for any intervening because of his age.. she’s now completely ignoring me so I went directly through my GP in the end. He’s starting nursery soon and I’m pretty confident they’ll also pick up what we have with the autism etc. Hope you get it sorted it’s a horrible feeling I’ve been crying over it for days worrying about it all x
I’m exactly the same. I spend a lot of time worrying about it. He doesn’t have any signs of Austism and nursery haven’t said anything he’s been there a year now. He says the odd words like mama , daddy, bye , but most things are just non sense like baby babble. It really gets me down and we both get a bit frustrated when he can’t tell me what he wants. He shows me things he wants with his hand does a lot of pointing and taking me to things.

Reactions: 1
I’m exactly the same. I spend a lot of time worrying about it. He doesn’t have any signs of Austism and nursery haven’t said anything he’s been there a year now. He says the odd words like mama , daddy, bye , but most things are just non sense like baby babble. It really gets me down and we both get a bit frustrated when he can’t tell me what he wants. He shows me things he wants with his hand does a lot of pointing and taking me to things.
Tbh the only reason I’m thinking autism is mainly the delay speech, he flaps his arms out of excitement, doesn’t always understand instructions but other than that there isn’t a huge amount of autistic tendencies if you like… so easy to just label kids this age with something isn’t it. My little boy takes me to things he wants/brings things to me so he does communicate I just wish like you do with your son that he could just talk to me x

Reactions: 2
I am up the wall. Since the day my daughter turned 3 (September) she’s been a nightmare with sleeping. I think I’ve commented in this thread about it before. She won’t go to sleep at night unless we lie with her then she wakes up EVERY SINGLE NIGHT at some point and cries till one of us gets in with her or she gets in with us. Fully aware we’ve made a rod for our own back but he works shifts and tbh it hasn’t been a major problem as we had a spare bed until recently.

Anyway I’m expecting baby number 2 (hi to all the other pregnancy thread ladies ❤) and we need to sort this sleeping situation out. My other half is currently battling with her, we’ve done our usual routine, bath, teeth, stories and cuddles but he’s said good night and walked out and the screams are unbearable she’s so upset. We’ve both said we’re not giving in though. She’s got out of her bed 3 times already. It’s gonna be a long night. Any advice? 😂

• Heart
I am up the wall. Since the day my daughter turned 3 (September) she’s been a nightmare with sleeping. I think I’ve commented in this thread about it before. She won’t go to sleep at night unless we lie with her then she wakes up EVERY SINGLE NIGHT at some point and cries till one of us gets in with her or she gets in with us. Fully aware we’ve made a rod for our own back but he works shifts and tbh it hasn’t been a major problem as we had a spare bed until recently.

Anyway I’m expecting baby number 2 (hi to all the other pregnancy thread ladies ❤) and we need to sort this sleeping situation out. My other half is currently battling with her, we’ve done our usual routine, bath, teeth, stories and cuddles but he’s said good night and walked out and the screams are unbearable she’s so upset. We’ve both said we’re not giving in though. She’s got out of her bed 3 times already. It’s gonna be a long night. Any advice? 😂
SO pleaseeeeeeeeee DO NOT give in.

If she keeps getting out of bed, after the second time of putting her back in bed, don’t make eye contact, pick her up and put her back in, repeat, repeat, repeat. Don’t talk to her or answer anything she says to you. If she starts to cry when you leave the room ignore her xx this is what I did with my 2.5 year old and she gave up after night 5 🙄 I didn’t get an evening for a week and it was EXHAUSTING but don’t turn it into a game for her. She’s testing your boundaries xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 1

I am probably a harsh Mum but I'm one for, they cry a lot of the time because they know it gets them what they want.
I'm also very stubborn so I never give in 😂
It usually takes about a week but it slowly gets less and less

• Heart

My daughter is 2 and a half and has always been a terrible sleeper. I also lie with her until she falls asleep and then go and sleep in her bed with her when she wakes up. I can’t cope without decent sleep so it’s just easier that way. I had my 2 year review last month and the HV said I should do the “gradual withdrawal” method. Fully aware how that sounds btw 😂 So you start off getting her to sleep sitting next to her and eventually move away from the bed until you’re at the door and she falls asleep. You need to be consistent every wake up and she said it will be a rough week. I haven’t tried it as it’s not that big a deal to me. Bigger fish to fry with her eating atm. We’re currently TTC and I’ve already said to my partner he’s sleeping in her room and she’ll have to be in with me and the new baby.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.