Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
hmm I don’t think he’s thirsty or hungry he doesn’t seem it! He’s really learning with his speech atm he’s doing something new everyday! He’s starting to put two words together maybe it’s that?
Yes, it definitely could be. My daughter kept doing this at the time when she was learning to stand. She’d wake up, pull herself up and then look confused about how she got there 🤣.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
👋🏻 first time poster on this thread. My daughter will be 3 in a couple of weeks and has been potty/toilet trained with wees for a good 5/6 months now. But she will not poo unless she has a nappy/pull-up on. I’ve tried encouraging, bribing etc and it just ends up in a huge meltdown. Has anyone else had this? I’ve read that I’m not supposed to force it and she’ll eventually just do it, but it’s worrying me me.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
👋🏻 first time poster on this thread. My daughter will be 3 in a couple of weeks and has been potty/toilet trained with wees for a good 5/6 months now. But she will not poo unless she has a nappy/pull-up on. I’ve tried encouraging, bribing etc and it just ends up in a huge meltdown. Has anyone else had this? I’ve read that I’m not supposed to force it and she’ll eventually just do it, but it’s worrying me me.
Get rid of the pull ups and nappies completely. Put her in pants, don’t say a word about it, leave her to it. When she needs a poo just take her to the loo and pull her pants down and put her on the loo. If she starts the nonsense then don’t react - pull the pants up and leave the bathroom. And carry on like that; she will eventually get there - but you need to put an end to the cycle by getting rid of the nappies & pull ups

My oldest took ages to poo in the toilet . My second has just turned 4 and still sometimes wears a pull up for a poo because they suffer constipation so I'm not going to make it more difficult as they have poo issues anyway. That and someone is always in the bathroom when they need to go .

We had the same issue with my boy, and pooping takes a little while. Switch to pants, and walk them to the toilet every 30 mins. The one thing we did was every time littlepotato farted (which is a lot!) we told him to sit on the toilet. Now he farts and runs off 🤣

• Haha
What sort of age does everyone recommend trying potty training? My boy was 2 in October and is showing a lot of signs. He’s peed in the potty twice now but admittedly we have not been the most consistent with it!

What sort of age does everyone recommend trying potty training? My boy was 2 in October and is showing a lot of signs. He’s peed in the potty twice now but admittedly we have not been the most consistent with it!
Do not start until they are ready. My family members kept pushing it with my son and he was not ready until he was 3.5yrs. He showed the “signs” and did a wee on the potty now and then, but the deal breaker was him staying dry all night and then all day when he was at nursery. He would get home and flood his nappy. He ended up getting chickenpox, so I decided to start him on the potty and we cracked it in a few days. we watched Elmo, hey duggee and Daniel tiger videos about the potty and it “clicked”.

If I could do it differently, I’d definitely transition onto the toilet from nappies rather than a potty. It’s purely a selfish thing, as I hated cleaning the potty and taking a potty out with us.

Top tip; do not give your little one ribena or blackcurrant based drinks. There’s an additive in the colouring which irritates the bladder and causes urgency. It’s a nightmare for little bladders. My boy is 4.5 and still can’t have ribena at school.

• Heart
My son was 2 in September and since summer, most days I let him run around without a nappy on. There was a lot of accidents at the beginning, but now he only wees when he gets a nappy on for sleeps. He’s not 100% ready for pants, but he is used to being without

• Heart
Don’t bother with a potty - just set a week aside where you can be home with him, put him into pants from the start and take him to the loo every 15 minutes - pants down, on the loo. Go through the whole process. He will wet himself, it will be messy! But he will get it, and after a few days it will be a done deal.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Don't know if anyone has experienced this before.

My daughter was sick a few times when she was ill from coughing.
I'm not sure if she noticed the attention she got from that so she's started doing it on purpose or what.

But she will now make herself cough until she's sick.
Mainly when she doesn't want to eat a meal. And she'll be sick on her food.

I hate saying she's doing it on purpose but you can tell she's forcing the cough and it's only ever when she doesn't want something.

I have no idea what to do.
Last night she was sick in her dinner because she didn't want it.
Then this morning she wanted something different even though it's what she asked for. And she's been sick on it again 😑

• Heart
Don't know if anyone has experienced this before.

My daughter was sick a few times when she was ill from coughing.
I'm not sure if she noticed the attention she got from that so she's started doing it on purpose or what.

But she will now make herself cough until she's sick.
Mainly when she doesn't want to eat a meal. And she'll be sick on her food.

I hate saying she's doing it on purpose but you can tell she's forcing the cough and it's only ever when she doesn't want something.

I have no idea what to do.
Last night she was sick in her dinner because she didn't want it.
Then this morning she wanted something different even though it's what she asked for. And she's been sick on it again 😑
How old is she? My son went through a “fussy eater stage”, which consisted of him doing some similar. He would chew the food and spit it out onto the food on the plate and it drove me mad. It happened around 2.5yrs-3.5yrs. I would take the food away, ask him to leave the table and I wouldn’t give him anything else to eat. Sounds harsh but I’m not giving him toast when I just made a roast dinner! I figured out it was because either family members fed him up on biscuits or that nursery had fed him. I would remind him to tell me when his tummy is full and wants to stop. At one point we had a “no thank you” plate on the table, so anything he didn’t want, he would put on the plate. Some nights it would be everything and then I would ask if he was hungry etc. however I’d make sure that I’d always serve the meal again. Just because he refused it once, didn’t mean that he never got to see it again. In 4.5 years of his life there has been one meal he really didn’t like, and that was chicken and leek pie.

My husband has a sensory processing disorder when it comes to food and he had a bad eating disorder as a teenager. I really wanted littlepotato to have good relationship with food, which he does now.

How old is she? My son went through a “fussy eater stage”, which consisted of him doing some similar. He would chew the food and spit it out onto the food on the plate and it drove me mad. It happened around 2.5yrs-3.5yrs. I would take the food away, ask him to leave the table and I wouldn’t give him anything else to eat. Sounds harsh but I’m not giving him toast when I just made a roast dinner! I figured out it was because either family members fed him up on biscuits or that nursery had fed him. I would remind him to tell me when his tummy is full and wants to stop. At one point we had a “no thank you” plate on the table, so anything he didn’t want, he would put on the plate. Some nights it would be everything and then I would ask if he was hungry etc. however I’d make sure that I’d always serve the meal again. Just because he refused it once, didn’t mean that he never got to see it again. In 4.5 years of his life there has been one meal he really didn’t like, and that was chicken and leek pie.

My husband has a sensory processing disorder when it comes to food and he had a bad eating disorder as a teenager. I really wanted littlepotato to have good relationship with food, which he does now.
She's 4 at the end of Feb.

This morning she had a bagel which she asked for. She took 1 small bite and said she didn't want it.
I asked her to eat some more because she was saying she was hungry. She cried saying she wanted something else.
I told her it's what she asked for, she's not having anything else. (it's never something I've given in to either)
She cried again, took it back to her table, started coughing and 2 minutes later came in saying she'd been sick on her plate.

Last night, gave her a choice of what she wanted for dinner.
She had 1 bite, said she wanted something else. I said no.
So she went back to her table, couple of minutes later, came in saying she was sick on her plate.

Before doing it on meals, she'd been doing it in her bed when it was bed time and she didn't want to go to bed. She'd get in bed fine. About 20 minutes later, come out saying she's been sick on her bed.

I don't know what to do because her being sick on her food means she gets away with not eating it. Which is what she wants. And she doesn't get given anything else either 🤷🏻‍♀️

Maybe whatever you’re making for her to eat, either keep some of it or make extra so if she does make herself sick, you can serve up the same thing, so she knows she doesn’t have any other options.

its sounds really tough, i think alot of things around this age are about trying to have control and independence and seeing how far they can push the buttons.

Reactions: 3

This morning she had a bagel which she asked for. She took 1 small bite and said she didn't want it.
I asked her to eat some more because she was saying she was hungry. She cried saying she wanted something else.
I told her it's what she asked for, she's not having anything else. (it's never something I've given in to either)
She cried again, took it back to her table, started coughing and 2 minutes later came in saying she'd been sick on her plate.

So she went back to her table, couple of minutes later, came in saying she was sick on her plate.

Before doing it on meals, she'd been doing it in her bed when it was bed time and she didn't want to go to bed. She'd get in bed fine. About 20 minutes later, come out saying she's been sick on her bed.

I don't know what to do because her being sick on her food means she gets away with not eating it. Which is what she wants. And she doesn't get given anything else either 🤷🏻‍♀️
She’s doing it for attention and as a form of control. When she’s next sick on her food don’t react at all, don’t even speak to her. Just lift the plate and walk away. Give her the next meal at normal meal time and again, if she’s sick on it again, remove it and don’t acknowledge or engage with her.

It’s hard but it is just a phase and if you can show that it’s not remotely bothering you and that she doesn’t get any attention from doing it, it will start to loose it’s appeal.

Reactions: 6

We had the same last year with my eldest who’s a similar age to your daughter. Deffo don’t react/tell her off etc, just remove the meal/clean her up and carry on and don’t give her anything else or mention it until she eats what she asks for/what you’ve given her or the next meal/snack time and she’ll soon stop. It’s a really tough stage and can make you feel like you’re doing something wrong but you’re not, sometimes they can just be such little shits to put it bluntly 😂 my sons now going through the same thing but in the night if he’s not allowed into our bed - he goes absolutely bonkers, thrashes around like some kind of lunatic and makes himself sick and it’s SO trying but we don’t react 99% of the time and it seems to be slowly phasing out. 3-4 is such a hard age, solidarity to you xx

*just wanted to say I’m not evil and he does actually sleep in our bed most of the time as we generally co sleep 😂 it’s more if he’s not allowed directly next to me/on top of me if I’m seeing to his little brother or something, it’s mad!

Food is the first form of control that children receive.

She’s doing it for attention and as a form of control. When she’s next sick on her food don’t react at all, don’t even speak to her. Just lift the plate and walk away. Give her the next meal at normal meal time and again, if she’s sick on it again, remove it and don’t acknowledge or engage with her.

It’s hard but it is just a phase and if you can show that it’s not remotely bothering you and that she doesn’t get any attention from doing it, it will start to loose it’s appeal.
^^ I agree with this entirely. When my son says he doesn’t want to eat, I tell him to leave the table and I’ll sit and eat by myself. If he starts, I tell him to put his tea in the bin and there’s no more food.

Reactions: 4
Makes it so difficult when my partner is extremely shouty.
Because that's his first response every time!

Hopefully he'll actually listen when I've said we just don't react to it

Thank you all for the advice!

Makes it so difficult when my partner is extremely shouty.
Because that's his first response every time!

Hopefully he'll actually listen when I've said we just don't react to it

Thank you all for the advice!
My husband has about this much 👌🏻 patience on a good day, he’s a rubber band ready to snap endlessly. Yesterday he banged his head and started complaining, and littlepotato went “you feeling a bit red? Do you need a timeout before we go on our walk?”

Yeah you tell him kid

• Haha
Reactions: 9
My husband has about this much 👌🏻 patience on a good day, he’s a rubber band ready to snap endlessly. Yesterday he banged his head and started complaining, and littlepotato went “you feeling a bit red? Do you need a timeout before we go on our walk?”

Yeah you tell him kid
Haha 😂 he's exactly the same!
She's similar. She'll tell him to calm down or "Stop being so 'gressive" 😂

• Haha
Haha 😂 he's exactly the same!
She's similar. She'll tell him to calm down or "Stop being so 'gressive" 😂
Littlepotato has a temper mind you. A baby scratched his face at soft play and he was pointing at this baby going “YOURE A BAD BABY A BADDIE BABY!!!!!” While I’m trying to carry him going “hes not worf it babez c’mon hun let’s get you a ribena” like a drunk girl on a night out

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.