Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My daughters dad comes round on a Tuesday so I can go to the gym straight after work & wash my hair in peace.. he always gets her hyper or he winds her up before bed and I hate it! Mummy and A have a nice quiet bedtime routine and I’ve said to him if he carries on he can stay till she’s asleep 😂

Reactions: 4
Mine is 4 in September so just missed the school cut off. She can be a right cheeky little thing. Whinging all the time as well.

Also I know there’s absolutely nothing I can do about it and there has to be a cut off somewhere but I'm fuming. Got an email today off nursery offering holiday club places for kids starting school in sep and other primary school age kids, £27 a day. But I have to pay £47 a day for my kid who turns 4 3 weeks after the 1st sep, even though she goes the toilet herself, feeds herself, doesn’t nap and can write her own bloody name

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
My daughters dad comes round on a Tuesday so I can go to the gym straight after work & wash my hair in peace.. he always gets her hyper or he winds her up before bed and I hate it! Mummy and A have a nice quiet bedtime routine and I’ve said to him if he carries on he can stay till she’s asleep 😂
If I let mine do bedtime our little one would be up til mid night no joke 😂😂😂

• Haha
Mine is 4 in September so just missed the school cut off. She can be a right cheeky little thing. Whinging all the time as well.

Also I know there’s absolutely nothing I can do about it and there has to be a cut off somewhere but I'm fuming. Got an email today off nursery offering holiday club places for kids starting school in sep and other primary school age kids, £27 a day. But I have to pay £47 a day for my kid who turns 4 3 weeks after the 1st sep, even though she goes the toilet herself, feeds herself, doesn’t nap and can write her own bloody name
Omg they really do have parents over a barrel! I was speaking to the lady who runs playgroup in the church by me and she said the schools used to have 5 intakes over the year so it was much fairer. How can anyone afford £50 a day?! She could probably look after the little ones!

Reactions: 1
Omg they really do have parents over a barrel! I was speaking to the lady who runs playgroup in the church by me and she said the schools used to have 5 intakes over the year so it was much fairer. How can anyone afford £50 a day?! She could probably look after the little ones!
I know!!!!! It’s infuriating. I’m expecting another autumn baby as well 🤣

Hello I’m looking for a bit of advice and a rant really 😅

so for context, we live next door to my boyfriends Nan so we go round quite a lot. She has a dog, then my boyfriends uncle has 2 dogs who he takes round everyday. We go round most days so my 2.5 year old sees them all the time. He used to be really loving and gentle with the dogs but all of a sudden he’s developed a hitting phase and he’s doing it to the dogs 😩 so he’s surrounded by 3 dogs, he’s trying to hit and push them, I’m doing as much as I can and he keeps trying to hit and push them! I’m telling him off, his dad is, his Nan is, everyone is but he’s not grasping not to do it. My main worry is one of them turning round and biting him! Obviously I dont want him hurting dogs either. He doesn’t hit any of us, no people so I don’t get why he’s doing it! He’s so loving and gentle with everyone else but with the dogs it’s like he thinks it’s a game. I get really stern with him but he just does it again. Any advice???

but my rant - he was there this afternoon whilst me and his dad were busy. We go round and have a cuppa etc and 2 of the dogs are there. One’s looking out the window and my son comes up to the dog and pushes her off the chair! So i said right that’s not nice, you need to learn not to do that, we’re going home. And he cried and my boyfriend had a go at me and said that’s not how to make him learn. Said I should just keep letting him do it and shouting till he stops? Well we’ve been doing that and it’s not working?? How long are we gonna wait to see if one of the dogs snap. Can’t just let him keep doing it till he learns not to! I said if we exit him from the situation he will learn that he is being wrong but my boyfriend slammed his Nans front door on me and said I was doing it to be awkward 😅 I wasn’t I just wanted my son to learn he can’t be around the dogs if he’s gonna be mean?! Urgh!!!

he’s a really lovely little boy and it’s stressing me out I wish this phase would stop. Idk where it’s come from 😩

• Heart
Reactions: 3

so for context, we live next door to my boyfriends Nan so we go round quite a lot. She has a dog, then my boyfriends uncle has 2 dogs who he takes round everyday. We go round most days so my 2.5 year old sees them all the time. He used to be really loving and gentle with the dogs but all of a sudden he’s developed a hitting phase and he’s doing it to the dogs 😩 so he’s surrounded by 3 dogs, he’s trying to hit and push them, I’m doing as much as I can and he keeps trying to hit and push them! I’m telling him off, his dad is, his Nan is, everyone is but he’s not grasping not to do it. My main worry is one of them turning round and biting him! Obviously I dont want him hurting dogs either. He doesn’t hit any of us, no people so I don’t get why he’s doing it! He’s so loving and gentle with everyone else but with the dogs it’s like he thinks it’s a game. I get really stern with him but he just does it again. Any advice???

but my rant - he was there this afternoon whilst me and his dad were busy. We go round and have a cuppa etc and 2 of the dogs are there. One’s looking out the window and my son comes up to the dog and pushes her off the chair! So i said right that’s not nice, you need to learn not to do that, we’re going home. And he cried and my boyfriend had a go at me and said that’s not how to make him learn. Said I should just keep letting him do it and shouting till he stops? Well we’ve been doing that and it’s not working?? How long are we gonna wait to see if one of the dogs snap. Can’t just let him keep doing it till he learns not to! I said if we exit him from the situation he will learn that he is being wrong but my boyfriend slammed his Nans front door on me and said I was doing it to be awkward 😅 I wasn’t I just wanted my son to learn he can’t be around the dogs if he’s gonna be mean?! Urgh!!!

he’s a really lovely little boy and it’s stressing me out I wish this phase would stop. Idk where it’s come from 😩
What a difficult situation. Can you separate the dogs from him by closing them in another room when he is there?
I think something Like “I won’t let you hit the dog, we will have to go home until you’re ready to be gentle with them” is what I would say. We have a dog and my kids are sometimes annoyed with him, and I always remind them “this is Dog’s house too”, so maybe somthing like “this is dog’s house and if you can’t Be kind then we will have to go”

I think removing him from the situation is definitely the way to go, because as you say you just cannot ever know with a dog. Maybe you and your bf could sit down and work out some strategies together? But yeah, I don’t think just constantly shouting at him is gonna work, your bf was defo wrong there.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

You 100% did the right thing by leaving. 2.5yos do not listen to reason, they just think any attention is good attention most of the time and often find it funny to see you get mad. Removal from the situation and continuous and simple explanation is key. “We have come home because you pushed the dog. I will not let you push the dog. We have to keep him and you safe. When you are ready to play nicely we can go back” or something along those lines…..and repeat 280 times until they finally get it 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 8
So my Dad/ Step mum has dogs and my daughter “A” , always has been told to be kind etc, one particularly jumps up (only small) and we have told her NO pushing but firmly tell the dog to “get down” or “down” , using words the dog also understands as well as my 2.5 year old. We often keep the dogs in another room as there is 3 of them but generally they do no harm, however we don’t like taking the risk as sometimes A is abit full on.

I know this is a toddler thread but any advise on autism? And if any of you have kids with autism what’s the earliest you noticed it? My child is 9 months and hand flaps a lot of the day.. it doesn’t stop her from doing things or playing she just seems to get excited and flap her hands but not sure if it’s normal or not :( apart from that she doesn’t seem to show any other obvious signs of autism yet but it is early. Just wanted to know if anyone else’s child did this and doesn’t have autism?

I know this is a toddler thread but any advise on autism? And if any of you have kids with autism what’s the earliest you noticed it? My child is 9 months and hand flaps a lot of the day.. it doesn’t stop her from doing things or playing she just seems to get excited and flap her hands but not sure if it’s normal or not :( apart from that she doesn’t seem to show any other obvious signs of autism yet but it is early. Just wanted to know if anyone else’s child did this and doesn’t have autism?
It's completely normal 😊
All 3 of mine flapped their hands.
My 14 mo still does it occasionally but she's mostly stopped now 😊

How often did they do it? That’s great to hear though thank you x
At that age, all day long 😂
Any time they're even the slightest bit excited.

Now she only does it once or twice a day. (maybe more now thinking about it 😂 but no where near as much as before)

My 9yo and 4yo don't do it at all now but also did it constantly when younger.

Attachments

At that age, all day long 😂
Any time they're even the slightest bit excited.

Now she only does it once or twice a day.

My 9yo and 4yo don't do it at all now but also did it constantly when younger.
Ah thank you! My partner keeps telling me I’m over thinking it which I know I am but I just worry about everything 🙃

Reactions: 4
Hi all

My daughter (2.5) has got chicken pox, she’s fine in herself, no temp etc.. I’ve given her an oat bath and got some lotion for it. Is it just a waiting game to see how many more come out over the next few days? We’ve got Haven on Monday for a week and I’m still going - we aren’t doing stay and play so we will just stay away from people like we do anyway usually and thankfully it’s not school hols. The spots started on Tuesday and google says 5 days contagious, but more have appeared on her back today, her pubic area and bum is really sore😢.. I can’t move the holiday so if we don’t go I’ll lose what I’ve paid and I’ll still have to take annual leave as she can’t go to nursery so seems abit of a waste not going, (providing she isn’t unwell..). Anyone got any tips for chickenpox? I don’t want them to spread further or onto her face but it’s impossible isn’t it??

Hi all

My daughter (2.5) has got chicken pox, she’s fine in herself, no temp etc.. I’ve given her an oat bath and got some lotion for it. Is it just a waiting game to see how many more come out over the next few days? We’ve got Haven on Monday for a week and I’m still going - we aren’t doing stay and play so we will just stay away from people like we do anyway usually and thankfully it’s not school hols. The spots started on Tuesday and google says 5 days contagious, but more have appeared on her back today, her pubic area and bum is really sore😢.. I can’t move the holiday so if we don’t go I’ll lose what I’ve paid and I’ll still have to take annual leave as she can’t go to nursery so seems abit of a waste not going, (providing she isn’t unwell..). Anyone got any tips for chickenpox? I don’t want them to spread further or onto her face but it’s impossible isn’t it??
As far as I'm aware, there's no way of stopping where they spread to!

If you're not going to be in contact with people, I'd still go too tbh 😊

Only advice is to make sure you don't give her any ibroprofen 😊
Paracetamol is fine though

• Heart
Reactions: 3
As far as I'm aware, there's no way of stopping where they spread to!

If you're not going to be in contact with people, I'd still go too tbh 😊

Only advice is to make sure you don't give her any ibroprofen 😊
Paracetamol is fine though
Okay thank you 🥰 We hardly speak to anyone on our haven hols let alone go near anyone, we won’t be going out for meals as I’ll be cooking everything too! She seems ok in herself 🤷🏼‍♀️

Hi all

Nothing you can do to stop them from popping up, but my little girl had them a few months back and the best thing I found for her was PoxClin mousse. She ended up with loads in her scalp and it was the easiest thing to apply but it helped dry the ones on her body out quite quickly. I got her lots of easy food to eat so I did actually get some Ellas Kitchen pouches as she was quite lethargic and she did have 3/4 spots in her mouth as well so I avoided anything too acidic and just went with the flow with how she felt that day. Even tho she didn’t ever want one we made sure she had an oat bath each day to try help soothe the spots x

Hi all

I actually posted on the pregnancy thread but I think my toddler has chickenpox. She only has 1 spot on her chest, but she’s had a temperature, diarrhoea, loss of appetite and now runny nose. We go to Park Dean tomorrow so I’m desperately hoping the spot is nothing. But like you we will lose our money so we will go and stay in our caravan and just go to the beach. Awful timing, especially as her dad had shingles last year and she didn’t catch them 🤣 hope your little girl gets better, maybe get some anti itch cream or baby piritin to stop her scratching.

Nothing you can do to stop them from popping up, but my little girl had them a few months back and the best thing I found for her was PoxClin mousse. She ended up with loads in her scalp and it was the easiest thing to apply but it helped dry the ones on her body out quite quickly. I got her lots of easy food to eat so I did actually get some Ellas Kitchen pouches as she was quite lethargic and she did have 3/4 spots in her mouth as well so I avoided anything too acidic and just went with the flow with how she felt that day. Even tho she didn’t ever want one we made sure she had an oat bath each day to try help soothe the spots x
I’ve got that mousse thank you! Everywhere in my town & Amazon has sold out of that other stuff you get recommended. Nurseries are rife with it at the moment too. Thanks for your advice xx

I actually posted on the pregnancy thread but I think my toddler has chickenpox. She only has 1 spot on her chest, but she’s had a temperature, diarrhoea, loss of appetite and now runny nose. We go to Park Dean tomorrow so I’m desperately hoping the spot is nothing. But like you we will lose our money so we will go and stay in our caravan and just go to the beach. Awful timing, especially as her dad had shingles last year and she didn’t catch them 🤣 hope your little girl gets better, maybe get some anti itch cream or baby piritin to stop her scratching.
I hope your little girl gets better soon too🥰 She isn’t scratching thankfully - she hasn’t got that many it’s just all on her pubic/bum area and it looks horrendous..!! The other spots are crusting over at the moment, I dread waking up tomorrow and she’s full of them.. but another oat bath tonight and one tomorrow too.

Lots of nappy free time and just dealing with any accidents (also confirmed to me she isn’t ready for potty training as I said to her tell mummy when you need a wee and we can go upstairs to the toilet and she said ok .. then wee’d on the rug😂🫠) but I’d rather she wasn’t in a nappy I have to change all the time& the pharmacist said it’ll make it worse too.

Have a lovely time at Park Dean, I keep looking for them but I just generally stick to Haven x

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.