Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all long term lurker just looking for a bit of advice really.
I have a recently turned 2 year old who still isn't talking has anyone had any experience with this? he will be starting nursery soon and I’m hoping this will help him a lot. its just worrying me a lot but HV etc have said not to worry. He is being sent for a hearing test but I am 99% sure that it’s fine.
I suppose I’m just worried if there is an overall problem also with the lack of speech he has never pointed or waved. If he wants things he brings them over etc. he claps his hands and babbles just no real words. He’s very smiley and does give eye contact unless he is distracted in something. He’s an excellent sleeper, was a fantastic eater as a baby but since about 18m has become fussier although I can live with that. The other thing is he is quite expressive with his hands at times but Im not sure if that’s because he can’t speak he is showing excitement the way.
Any thoughts, am I over thinking? Google isnt very helpful!
My oldest never said a word until a couple of months after turning 2 , the health visitor sent someone out to see us . Then they started talking and it all came at once. My younger 2 were using words from being 1and a half. Now kids don't get there 2 year check til 27 months where I live as apparently so many of them weren't talking by 2 years. It's all normal .

Reactions: 3
Hi,

I am losing the will to live with my 2.5 year old daughter and where else to rant!! (And for some advice)..

Her tantrums have never been this bad, I took her away and although it was nice, her tantrums where some that I’ve never had before and it was awful we went out for the day several times and it just resulted in a meltdown! She was in the pram then she didn’t wanna be in the pram and she didn’t want to walk .. she wanted me to carry her!

Just the usual stuff from a 2.5 year old which I can handle. However, during the day if we was in the caravan she would just have meltdowns over such small things (I guess in her world it’s huge).
since we have got back home it has been ridiculous for instance this morning I was getting my pyjama pants on and she had a complete meltdown on the floor screaming and crying and kept saying pyjamas but it didn’t make sense because she wanted to go downstairs and she knows I need to put some pyjamas on as it’s been colder.

I just it’s just getting ridiculous, it’s draining me! It’s just been this week that’s been awful. I’ll try and stay calm and explain to her I need to do X, Y, Z and I won’t be too long!

I was cooking in the kitchen yesterday afternoon and she wanted my attention to go into the play room and I said mummy is cooking our tea when I’ve finished we can go and play. Not good enough! Meltdown!😤😤😤

I know it’s her age and it’s all developmental but it’s just getting awful😩 I get so angry with her at times cos it just does my head in. It’s just me and her at home so that doesn’t help. When she goes to her Dads she isn’t like that for him, but understandably she plays up for me 😂 Sorry for the long post, just need to rant and vent!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
Hi,

I am losing the will to live with my 2.5 year old daughter and where else to rant!! (And for some advice)..

Her tantrums have never been this bad, I took her away and although it was nice, her tantrums where some that I’ve never had before and it was awful we went out for the day several times and it just resulted in a meltdown! She was in the pram then she didn’t wanna be in the pram and she didn’t want to walk .. she wanted me to carry her!

Just the usual stuff from a 2.5 year old which I can handle. However, during the day if we was in the caravan she would just have meltdowns over such small things (I guess in her world it’s huge).
since we have got back home it has been ridiculous for instance this morning I was getting my pyjama pants on and she had a complete meltdown on the floor screaming and crying and kept saying pyjamas but it didn’t make sense because she wanted to go downstairs and she knows I need to put some pyjamas on as it’s been colder.

I just it’s just getting ridiculous, it’s draining me! It’s just been this week that’s been awful. I’ll try and stay calm and explain to her I need to do X, Y, Z and I won’t be too long!

I was cooking in the kitchen yesterday afternoon and she wanted my attention to go into the play room and I said mummy is cooking our tea when I’ve finished we can go and play. Not good enough! Meltdown!😤😤😤

I know it’s her age and it’s all developmental but it’s just getting awful😩 I get so angry with her at times cos it just does my head in. It’s just me and her at home so that doesn’t help. When she goes to her Dads she isn’t like that for him, but understandably she plays up for me 😂 Sorry for the long post, just need to rant and vent!
Is your little one getting hangry while you are cooking?

Reactions: 1
Hi,

So we went away last week too and my daughter 2.9 was just a mess. Wanted to go out but couldn’t cope and then in the caravan was meltdown after meltdown. I think they’ve both been poorly and being away from home for so long must be really hard. I found it really difficult on holiday and even cried when she went to bed. My partner is useless with her anyway and she just wants mummy so I got overwhelmed and shouty which makes me feel awful. Just wanted to let you know you’re not alone and I think holidays with toddlers are no fun 🤣

Now you’re at home hopefully she’ll settle back into a routine. It defo is their age, I’ve found the last few months difficult. With the cooking, can you get her involved? I have a little stool she stands on and she washes the veg and has a toddler knife she helps cut soft veg up with. Also scooping so I’ll cut the hard veg like broccoli and she’ll put it into the roasting dish for example. If she’s not coping well I’ll put the tv on for her while I get on with the dinner. But I’ll turn it off and get her to help lay the table so it’s not a meltdown about eating. She doesn’t do that well either 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 5
So we went away last week too and my daughter 2.9 was just a mess. Wanted to go out but couldn’t cope and then in the caravan was meltdown after meltdown. I think they’ve both been poorly and being away from home for so long must be really hard. I found it really difficult on holiday and even cried when she went to bed. My partner is useless with her anyway and she just wants mummy so I got overwhelmed and shouty which makes me feel awful. Just wanted to let you know you’re not alone and I think holidays with toddlers are no fun 🤣

Now you’re at home hopefully she’ll settle back into a routine. It defo is their age, I’ve found the last few months difficult. With the cooking, can you get her involved? I have a little stool she stands on and she washes the veg and has a toddler knife she helps cut soft veg up with. Also scooping so I’ll cut the hard veg like broccoli and she’ll put it into the roasting dish for example. If she’s not coping well I’ll put the tv on for her while I get on with the dinner. But I’ll turn it off and get her to help lay the table so it’s not a meltdown about eating. She doesn’t do that well either 🤣
Thank you for this honest post, I needed it! We go away all the time - it’s not new to her being in a caravan or on a plane etc! Sorry it’s been tough for you too..

It just really pisses me off when she’s like this and I feel like the whole holiday is pointless, she’s just had chicken pox too so probably still getting over that but I couldn’t cancel the hol / didn’t want to just to sit at home anyway.

So I was making sausages and mash (was just sorting them out in the oven) and then washing the stuff up i’d used. It’s just frustrating cos she gets in my way, everything takes twice as long! Usually she sits and watches tv and everything is fine. Just needed to rant, this week has been the hardest ever! I’ve lost my patience so many times and just felt like a horrible mum but when she doesn’t listen and there’s no rhyme or reason to why she’s getting annoyed and I’ve nobody to take over, it’s hard!

Is your little one getting hangry while you are cooking?
No, I gave her some grapes to eat and sit down with quietly so I could get on with it and she kept annoying me 😩

• Heart
@al255 Omg my 2.5 year old is having the tantrums from hell atm 😂 it’s like he just spawns into a little devil at random times. Always seems to be when we’re on a day out. Like he’ll be fine in the house then soon as we leave and we’re in front of loads of people he’s like ‘I’m gonna show my mum up here and have a tantrum’ 🤣 I have no advice with the going away and being out of routine but just know you’re not alone with these tantrums. I’m just telling myself it’s not forever 😂 🤞🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hello I posted this 👇 on another thread.
Sorry if your on that one seeing this twice.
I have a two year old who was born early (late prem) Health been 90% fine. No issues with growth or weigh(wait) Eats well but not much due to reflux & gagging. Now 2 years old I'm worried due to what everyone says oh your heavy, your some weight, weighing at 2 stone (height about 37inc). I'm freaking out as the "ideal weight" should be 1stone 8lbs. We always eat healthy.. fruit is always eaten, go for long walks, go to soft play etc. Only as junk once a week. Now I was a heavy baby but soild. I just wish people would stop saying it cause it hurts

• Heart
I have a two year old who was born early (late prem) Health been 90% fine. No issues with growth or weigh(wait) Eats well but not much due to reflux & gagging. Now 2 years old I'm worried due to what everyone says oh your heavy, your some weight, weighing at 2 stone (height about 37inc). I'm freaking out as the "ideal weight" should be 1stone 8lbs. We always eat healthy.. fruit is always eaten, go for long walks, go to soft play etc. Only as junk once a week. Now I was a heavy baby but soild. I just wish people would stop saying it cause it hurts
don’t worry - my daughter was a RIGHT chunk as a baby. Let me post a photo but block out her face.. she was just so chubby. She weighed 8lb 7oz.. since she is now being so active and walking etc she’s slimmed right down. Some kids are just built to be abit heavier than others. The other photo is her a few days ago! Don’t worry, they slim down. xx

Attachments

Reactions: 2
My daughter weighs 2.2stone and around same height. We had our two year review and the hv was happy and said she was in proportion so no need to worry. She was born on the 90th centile. Her eating isn’t great due to her being very picky but is overall healthy with some treats during the week. She doesn’t look overweight but she is heavy!
I hate when people make comments about childrens appearance, but I find the ones who do are also happy to say them to an adult so there’s no changing them.

don’t worry - my daughter was a RIGHT chunk as a baby. Let me post a photo but block out her face.. she was just so chubby. She weighed 8lb 7oz.. since she is now being so active and walking etc she’s slimmed right down. Some kids are just built to be abit heavier than others. The other photo is her a few days ago! Don’t worry, they slim down. xx
This is my little girl
I don't know if she like this due to my family being tall and were all soild but slightly overweight family amd half of the family is tall both sides (his family about the same as us) I just don't want people to think she heavy due to over eating (my neighbours know she doesn't eat much and active but do say she heavyweight but it's great it's just other people on the street that don't know us well)

Attachments

This is my little girl
I don't know if she like this due to my family being tall and were all soild but slightly overweight family amd half of the family is tall both sides (his family about the same as us) I just don't want people to think she heavy due to over eating (my neighbours know she doesn't eat much and active but do say she heavyweight but it's great it's just other people on the street that don't know us well)
Stop worrying about what other people think. She looks perfectly fine. I think you are getting worried about nothing here. She’s a normal, healthy child.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My daughter weighs 2.2stone and around same height. We had our two year review and the hv was happy and said she was in proportion so no need to worry. She was born on the 90th centile. Her eating isn’t great due to her being very picky but is overall healthy with some treats during the week. She doesn’t look overweight but she is heavy!
I hate when people make comments about childrens appearance, but I find the ones who do are also happy to say them to an adult so there’s no changing them.
Yes she doesn't look overweight posted pictures in another post (couldn't quote two at once) she just heavy. N has chucky thighs. I know it's silly to panic she like slightly overweight but can't help it. Plus we don't have a nice health visitor so freaking out when we see her again she moan. (A lot of people I spoken to at meets don't like her)

This is my little girl
honestly she looks fine, my son is not far off the same going off your pics, and he had his 2 year review the other day and my HV said he was normal
weight and height for his age. Try not to worry about it, I know that things people say can bother you though but try not to let it. People should keep their nonsense to themselves x

• Heart
Hi,

Honestly could have written this post myself! My little boy has just turned 3 and the tantrums are something else! Meltdowns over the littlest things, screaming, it’s just awful. I keep telling myself it’s just a phase and it will pass. You’re not the only one going through it, though it may seem that way when you’re dragging a kicking and screaming child out of soft play (or is that just me? 🙈😂)

Yes she doesn't look overweight posted pictures in another post (couldn't quote two at once) she just heavy. N has chucky thighs. I know it's silly to panic she like slightly overweight but can't help it. Plus we don't have a nice health visitor so freaking out when we see her again she moan. (A lot of people I spoken to at meets don't like her)
Can you not request a different health visitor? You should feel comfortable enough to speak to them about any worries. If they aren’t supportive ask to see someone else. I’m sure you won’t be the first person to ask!

A 2 year old boy weighing 2 stone is only the 60th percentile.
Don't pay attention to the "ideal weight"
They don't class kids as "overweight" unless they're 96th or above.
So he's nowhere near being classed as overweight anyway.
My daughter at this age was classed as overweight as she's always been around the 99th. She was around 35lbs at 2 years old.

People comment constantly. I have the complete opposite now. My 3rd hasn't really been above the 25th percentile and at 1 point was down to 5th. And I get the opposite of "Oh she's so light" "Oh she's so tiny" "She needs some meat on her"

People will make comments no matter what.

Your son however, is a very normal weight 😊

Just thought I'd add the photo of her chunky lil thighs she always had 😂 which I thought were adorable.
I'll also add, she's now 4 and length wise she needs 5-6 but the waist is always huge on them because she's evened out all over! 😊

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
This is my little girl
She’s not big at all! My son feels like he weighs an absolute tonne but he’s not big at all … this is him when he’s sat down .. he doesn’t have any belly rolls he just feels really heavy

Attachments

She’s not big at all! My son feels like he weighs an absolute tonne but he’s not big at all … this is him when he’s sat down .. he doesn’t have any belly rolls he just feels really heavy
Yeah when you look at her she thin, just a pot belly that's tiny
But is heavy it weight yet I can still carry her in one arm.
I just feel people judge too much that it's a dig at me as I'm overweight. My MIL is a witch when it comes to my weight & feel she judge her grandchild.

I guess her weight is fine then. I need to be off baby site groups.

Yeah when you look at her she thin, just a pot belly that's tiny
But is heavy it weight yet I can still carry her in one arm.
I just feel people judge too much that it's a dig at me as I'm overweight. My MIL is a witch when it comes to my weight & feel she judge her grandchild.

I guess her weight is fine then. I need to be off baby site groups.
Some people are just witches! And baby site groups can be very toxic. You’d be able to tell if your toddler was overweight, you’re her mum and you know her best, know what she is eating etc and that’s all that matters!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.