Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Please can someone break down how I start potty training? I won’t be using a potty but I’ll be using a seat on the toilet with a step for my daughter. I’m going to start in a few week and see what response I get! Do I just have nappy free time and keep asking her if she needs wee? I don’t get it at all😂
I left a potty sitting out and my daughter just knew what to do. She had watched that bloody Cocomelon potty song which probably helped! Eventually she started using the toilet and now she just uses either/or which I don't mind at all. Ditch the nappies completely and you straight into big girl pants cos going back and forth is confusing for them.

Reactions: 2
Please can someone break down how I start potty training? I won’t be using a potty but I’ll be using a seat on the toilet with a step for my daughter. I’m going to start in a few week and see what response I get! Do I just have nappy free time and keep asking her if she needs wee? I don’t get it at all😂
Honestly, they’re so different. My first I used to sit on the potty while she was eating 😂 what was I even thinking 😂😂😂
My second told me he didn’t want nappies anymore (💔💔) and my third - he was 7 months when lockdown hit and was, and still is always naked! One day I tried him with pants, and that was it! He got it straight away. He would hold his wee in until he had a nappy for sleep
We have used something like this with both boys

3ECA57E5-82AE-4A92-AEA6-06D2AC7BAA26.png

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Has anyone potty trained a nonverbal toddler before. My son is 3 and doesn’t say a right lot. I’ve tried the potty but he won’t entertain it and I can’t explain it cos he doesn’t understand

• Heart
Reactions: 5
This has probs been asked before but what age would you recommend the gro clock from?
We did ours from around 2 and a half.
It only took a week of her getting used to it.
Shs'd get up and come into our room and we'd say, "Is the clock yellow?" and she cried the first couple of mornings as we took her back to bed and then she got the hang of it 😊

She has always woken around 6.30 so we set it for 7 and sometimes she even sleeps past that now.
You hear the panic in her footsteps when she does though. When she realises the clocks already yellow and she's still in bed 😂😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Shs'd get up and come into our room and we'd say, "Is the clock yellow?" and she cried the first couple of mornings as we took her back to bed and then she got the hang of it 😊

She has always woken around 6.30 so we set it for 7 and sometimes she even sleeps past that now.
You hear the panic in her footsteps when she does though. When she realises the clocks already yellow and she's still in bed 😂😂
Oooh thank you I might get one and try it!

In regards to potty training, I really don’t think there is one method for any one child. I have a 2.5 year old and I tried potty training her a couple of months ago. She was making great progress and going over to use it. Then, all of a sudden she started holding her wees in for hours on end and got very stressed about it all so I’ve put her back in nappies.

Has anyone potty trained a nonverbal toddler before. My son is 3 and doesn’t say a right lot. I’ve tried the potty but he won’t entertain it and I can’t explain it cos he doesn’t understand
I didn't want to read this and run, wish I had some advice but I am not too sure. My toddler is quite a late talker. I would maybe try reaching our to your health visitor or try a google for any books which could help? ❤

• Heart
When you say he’s non verbal, can he communicate in other ways? I had a non verbal 3 year old (She’s 20 now). She was potty trained by her home education team at 3.5 and got it pretty quickly. Consistency was key. Her tutors would quickly sit her on the potty when they saw a wee emerging and then provide some sort of reinforcer like a chocolate button, etc.

When you say he’s non verbal, can he communicate in other ways? I had a non verbal 3 year old (She’s 20 now). She was potty trained by her home education team at 3.5 and got it pretty quickly. Consistency was key. Her tutors would quickly sit her on the potty when they saw a wee emerging and then provide some sort of reinforcer like a chocolate button, etc.
Yeah he does. I can usually figure out what he wants pretty quick. Like he will point to something he wants so I’m sure once he realises what the potty is for he will get it or point to it? He’s starting school next sept not this one but just feeling the pressure. Every time I see my mum she’s like you need to get the nappies off him. But do I have to do it riiiight now?

• Heart
Yeah he does. I can usually figure out what he wants pretty quick. Like he will point to something he wants so I’m sure once he realises what the potty is for he will get it or point to it? He’s starting school next sept not this one but just feeling the pressure. Every time I see my mum she’s like you need to get the nappies off him. But do I have to do it riiiight now?
I’d say you know him best. He doesn’t need to be talking to PT if he can communicate in other ways. But. It should be your decision, not people around you putting pressure on.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Ha ha this is just like my daughter. I’ve never hear her move as fast as when that clock turns yellow!

This has probs been asked before but what age would you recommend the gro clock from?
My kids nearly 4, I was thinking she was too old and it wouldn’t work - I wish I had got one sooner 🤣

I set mine for 6:30 but she’s started sleeping till 7:20 ish I honestly can’t believe it. The first few days she shouted me at like 5:30 to say the owl was still blue so I’d say I know so it’s still sleep time and she’d go back asleep

• Wow
I know a few of you cosleep with your toddlers. I’m currently 10 weeks pregnant and I have to cuddle my daughter to sleep. She’s in her own double bed and I go in there when I’m ready to sleep. Currently panicking how it’s all going to work with a new baby. Doesn’t help my mum friends telling me I need to break the cosleeping now or I’m never going to sleep again.
Tbh it’s been really hard the last few weeks she’s been so clingy all day and bedtimes are a nightmare now, taking ages and rolling around and crying. My patience is very low and she’s probably feeding off me feeling crap and I’ve not been doing my best parenting right now, as being quite reactive. Basically I just need someone to tell me it’s going to be ok 🤣

• Heart
I know a few of you cosleep with your toddlers. I’m currently 10 weeks pregnant and I have to cuddle my daughter to sleep. She’s in her own double bed and I go in there when I’m ready to sleep. Currently panicking how it’s all going to work with a new baby. Doesn’t help my mum friends telling me I need to break the cosleeping now or I’m never going to sleep again.
Tbh it’s been really hard the last few weeks she’s been so clingy all day and bedtimes are a nightmare now, taking ages and rolling around and crying. My patience is very low and she’s probably feeding off me feeling crap and I’ve not been doing my best parenting right now, as being quite reactive. Basically I just need someone to tell me it’s going to be ok 🤣
If you go in there when you're ready to sleep, does she sleep by herself until then?

I don't know if I read it wrong

Is your partner available to help out with the cosleeping? We usually transition toddler to dad doing bed time and co sleeping about 6 weeks before the new baby comes.
If not, then I have also done plenty of nights stuck in between a newbie and a toddler. That can take a bit of work to get everyone in the right position, but I’ve always found my toddlers (ages would have been 2.5, 3 and 2.5) happy to cuddle up to my back while I feed the newborn in the night.
You will sleep again, I promise. (I mean, I have no actual evidence that this is true, I haven’t slept all night in 9 years 🤣 but it has to be true. It has to be……!)

• Haha
Yes she does. I was going in with her at first wake up but that started getting earlier and earlier and so I just go in there now when I’m ready to go to bed.

Is your partner available to help out with the cosleeping? We usually transition toddler to dad doing bed time and co sleeping about 6 weeks before the new baby comes.
If not, then I have also done plenty of nights stuck in between a newbie and a toddler. That can take a bit of work to get everyone in the right position, but I’ve always found my toddlers (ages would have been 2.5, 3 and 2.5) happy to cuddle up to my back while I feed the newborn in the night.
You will sleep again, I promise. (I mean, I have no actual evidence that this is true, I haven’t slept all night in 9 years 🤣 but it has to be true. It has to be……!)
He is but she won’t let him. She is really resisting him atm and it’s been quite hard for both of us. She’s never let him do a bedtime even when I’ve been out. She would cry and cry for hours and he’d bring her back into the living room and let her fall asleep on the sofa then bring her to bed.
I had thought that she’d either come into the bed with me again and baby in the next to me or beside me. I’m just nervous of too much change as she’s still to be potty trained, still uses a dummy and will start preschool when the baby is due.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.