Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Make sure she’s drinking plenty of water during the day, lots of fresh fruit and try the little probiotic yoghurts

Reactions: 2
I'll send Mr Bore out for some lactulose and try that and if not, I'll give the doctors a call for something more!
Before this, she was going every day!
If that doesn’t get her moving the dr should be able to give you a suppository for her 🫣 not something I’ve (thankfully) ever had to do with our kids, but apparently they work lightning fast!

Reactions: 1
I did wonder about lactulose but wasn't sure if you could give it to kids. I've only ever downed it myself when terrified for the after birth poop 😂😂😂
Yeah it’s fine for kids! My daughter has used it on and off since she was 1, it takes a few days to work but it should help. ☺

When did everyone start potty training their sons? FTM mum here and my LB is 19mo, just wondering when I should start?

Also, we're going through an awful stage of him trying to bite and nip/grab - any suggestions on how to stop it?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
When did everyone start potty training their sons? FTM mum here and my LB is 19mo, just wondering when I should start?

Also, we're going through an awful stage of him trying to bite and nip/grab - any suggestions on how to stop it?
Eldest was 2 years 3 months
Second was 2 years 1 month
Third was 2 years 2 months

So a similar time for all mine. Go ahead whenever you feel ready. I personally don’t believe in waiting too long - although I know everyone does what suits them. Going in just after their second birthday has worked well for us and they’ve all been very receptive and had few issues. I feel the longer you wait the more opinion and fight they have in them to work against it 🙈 I recommend the book Oh Crap, Potty Training to help give some good information (like all parenting books it also has a lot of rubbish 🤣).

Oh ETA: sorry I saw you specifically asked about sons. My second is a boy, and he was 2 years 1 month, so the youngest of my 3. People often say boys need to wait longer, but that’s rubbish imo. He was also the first to be dry overnight out of all 3.

Eldest was 2 years 3 months
Second was 2 years 1 month
Third was 2 years 2 months

So a similar time for all mine. Go ahead whenever you feel ready. I personally don’t believe in waiting too long - although I know everyone does what suits them. Going in just after their second birthday has worked well for us and they’ve all been very receptive and had few issues. I feel the longer you wait the more opinion and fight they have in them to work against it 🙈 I recommend the book Oh Crap, Potty Training to help give some good information (like all parenting books it also has a lot of rubbish 🤣).

Oh ETA: sorry I saw you specifically asked about sons. My second is a boy, and he was 2 years 1 month, so the youngest of my 3. People often say boys need to wait longer, but that’s rubbish imo. He was also the first to be dry overnight out of all 3.
Thank you so much! I'll probably wait until after his 2nd birthday too - maybe I'll start Jan time! So at least I've got a good few months yet.

Any tips on stopping biting/nipping?! xx

Thank you so much! I'll probably wait until after his 2nd birthday too - maybe I'll start Jan time! So at least I've got a good few months yet.

Any tips on stopping biting/nipping?! xx
My second and third both potty trained in December/January as well. A lot of people will say wait until summer, but again I don’t believe in that 🤣 they are perfectly happy toddling round the warm house in winter semi-nude!

Sorry, we haven’t ever had a biter or nipper (yet - no4 is only 13 months so we could well still have it ahead!) so no experience there. My only thing would be to say something like “I won’t let you bite me. I’m going to play over here now, you can join me when you’re ready” and move away. That’s what I do if older ones are being too rough with little ones.

My daughter is 2.5 and we've not started potty training yet. Am I a bad mum?:ROFLMAO:

On another note, my daughter is basically living off chicken nuggets and fruit. WHEN DOES THE FUSSINESS STOP 😭 😭 We offer her everything we eat, no alternatives, but I also can't bear to see her go hungry so always give her a yoghurt and some fruit before bed.

Reactions: 2
My second and third both potty trained in December/January as well. A lot of people will say wait until summer, but again I don’t believe in that 🤣 they are perfectly happy toddling round the warm house in winter semi-nude!

Sorry, we haven’t ever had a biter or nipper (yet - no4 is only 13 months so we could well still have it ahead!) so no experience there. My only thing would be to say something like “I won’t let you bite me. I’m going to play over here now, you can join me when you’re ready” and move away. That’s what I do if older ones are being too rough with little ones.
I'll give this a try! Thank you!

My biggest worry is he tries to bite another kid at soft play or something! I keep telling myself it's just a phase.... :cry: :rolleyes:

• Heart
I'll give this a try! Thank you!

My biggest worry is he tries to bite another kid at soft play or something! I keep telling myself it's just a phase.... :cry: :rolleyes:
Oh gosh that wouldn’t be good 😬 but yes it’s a phase, a not particularly nice one, but it will pass!

My daughter is 2.5 and we've not started potty training yet. Am I a bad mum?:ROFLMAO:

On another note, my daughter is basically living off chicken nuggets and fruit. WHEN DOES THE FUSSINESS STOP 😭 😭 We offer her everything we eat, no alternatives, but I also can't bear to see her go hungry so always give her a yoghurt and some fruit before bed.
I think some kids just are fussier. My 6yo is incredibly fussy about dinner foods, but he adores fruit and vegetables as well so I always make sure we have loads of those on the side of meals so he has some safe foods. He will nibble a small bit of meals he isn’t fussed on as he has been hungry a few times in the morning because he has eaten nothing at tea. So he’s learnt that the food is less awful than the hunger 🙈

Are you me? 🤣 My daughter’s the same age I’ve tried potty training twice and didn’t go well at all. She’d love on yoghurt and fruit if I let her. My health visitor said to do what you’re doing though and it’s definitely reduced the anxiety around eating for both of us.

We started right after she turned 2.
Lockdown happened a month after her birthday and we were like.. You know what? We're home 24/7 let's try.
And it worked.

Just remember that night time is a separate thing though. That's a hormone that develops. She's only just started being dry at night since she turned 4

I’ve not started potty training with my 2.5 year old yet. She isn’t showing any signs and if I ask her if she needs a wee she says no or if she’s done a poo when she has she says no. She’s 0 concept of her bladder control yet, or knowing when her nappy needs changing etc. I’m going to leave it a few more months and try it then. I’m not in any rush to be honest 😂 just one of those that needs doing before they start school. I’d rather wait and she was ready then try and force it.

I’ve not tried potty training with my 2.5 year old either. I don’t think he’s ready. He just tells me when he’s a poo although he thinks a fart is a poo and he goes ‘I pooed i pooed’ when it was only a fart. Also he’s heard me trump a couple of times and he shouts MUMMY POOED 🫣

• Haha
Reactions: 7
My boy is 3 and still in nappies. He’s not aware .. I tried and he won’t even sit on the potty so going to leave it til summer hols and try again.

Mine was 3 and a bit when we started potty training. We were concentrating on the day time and she naturally said she didn't want nappies at night time and has been dry ever since.

I kept looking out for signs that she was ready like everyone tells you too but honestly she was happy to carry on sitting in her nappies regardless as to what was in there 🙈

She picked it up really easily though and I'm personally glad that we waited so she had more of an understanding

Reactions: 5
When did everyone move their LOs into their own room?

Just wondering really...I've seen some people do it at 4, 6 and 12 months and others 2 years.

Personally, my LB is still with us but we will be looking to transition into his own room very soon

When he was 2. We bedshared for a while. He did have his own room he’d sleep in but he’d always wake up and end up in with me before 11pm. But we moved when he was 2 exactly around his 2nd birthday and I put my foot down, got him a toddler bed and made sure he stayed in there. Which he does! The odd night he gets in with us which I don’t mind, I like the cuddles 🥰

When did everyone move their LOs into their own room?

Just wondering really...I've seen some people do it at 4, 6 and 12 months and others 2 years.

Personally, my LB is still with us but we will be looking to transition into his own room very soon
I read this as bed and not room 😂 sorry.

6 months for their own room.

My second. Just after she turned 2. Because she broke her cot 😂
She transitioned so well though

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.