Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
we blocked vlad and his brother!

Because I’m a lazy slug, I waited until Littlepotato told me he wanted a bed. When he was 2.5yrs we went to Florida on holiday and he kept asking to sleep in a “mummy and daddy bed” as we were all in the same room. We took the side down on his bedside crib and then 6 months later, we bought him a bed. It sounds like him gripping the side and crying might be a sign.

controversially I never stayed with my son until he fell asleep, I’ve always left him to it. Now he’s older I’ve said he can play in his room and then he puts himself to bed. When he was tiny, I’d let him take a toy into bed like hot wheels or a truck, and often he would fall asleep with it in his hands. Littlepotato takes after his mummy and is a slug, so has always slept well.
Haha thank you! Tbf when he does go down he sleeps so well so like another poster I’m worried it will all go downhill if I put him in a bed too early but I hate the thought of him going to sleep upset and scared 😢 his cot does transition to a toddler bed so might just take the side down and if it makes anything worse could always go back to cot I suppose!

Can I ask what age others put their little ones into a toddler bed from cot? My boy is 19 months old and recently when it comes to going into his cot at nighttime all hell breaks loose. He winds down really well, bath pjs then we sit in his chair to read some books whilst he has a cup of milk but then as soon as I go to put him into his cot he starts crying his heart out, a couple of occasions gripping onto the side to try and stop me lowering him in which broke my heart. I had a thought would it be easier if we moved to settling him in a bed so we would lie in there with him whilst he has milk and a story then leave when he’s pretty much asleep with a night light on, or is he too young yet? I feel like he’s old enough now to realise pitch black room in the cot the opposite of relaxing if that makes sense? Almost frightening for him?
We moved her around 2. Maybe a little before I can't remember 100% but we kept exactly the same routine, just in a new bed.
She cried for the first few nights, but then she was fine.

We had no choice but to move her because she broke her cot 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Can I ask what age others put their little ones into a toddler bed from cot? My boy is 19 months old and recently when it comes to going into his cot at nighttime all hell breaks loose. He winds down really well, bath pjs then we sit in his chair to read some books whilst he has a cup of milk but then as soon as I go to put him into his cot he starts crying his heart out, a couple of occasions gripping onto the side to try and stop me lowering him in which broke my heart. I had a thought would it be easier if we moved to settling him in a bed so we would lie in there with him whilst he has milk and a story then leave when he’s pretty much asleep with a night light on, or is he too young yet? I feel like he’s old enough now to realise pitch black room in the cot the opposite of relaxing if that makes sense? Almost frightening for him?
Ours both stayed in the cot until they worked out how to climb out!!!!! Probably around the 2 year point? The cot we had converted into a toddler bed so we just took the sides off. You’ll probably find it’s not actually the cot that’s bothering him now though, it’s that he’s realised that it’s bedtime and he knows he’s got to go to bed….! Try to keep the routine so that you settle him but then leave him to go to sleep on his own - try not to get into the habit of staying with him until he falls asleep and then having to sneak out of the room!!!

Reactions: 2
How? How do you do this?! I need to block ryan!!!!
Tap three dots at the side / top of screen and you can choose to block whole channel or just individual videos. I set up a parent only pin code for blocking... It's been a lifesaver for getting rid of really annoying channels, would recommend to anyone 😂

Ours both stayed in the cot until they worked out how to climb out!!!!! Probably around the 2 year point? The cot we had converted into a toddler bed so we just took the sides off. You’ll probably find it’s not actually the cot that’s bothering him now though, it’s that he’s realised that it’s bedtime and he knows he’s got to go to bed….! Try to keep the routine so that you settle him but then leave him to go to sleep on his own - try not to get into the habit of staying with him until he falls asleep and then having to sneak out of the room!!!
Yeah I see what you’re saying I could just end up in another nightmare situation where I’m in there all night 😅

Yeah I see what you’re saying I could just end up in another nightmare situation where I’m in there all night 😅
I remember reading before that it can cause more issues if you stay in with them until they fall asleep.
I did it originally with my second.
But because they go sleep with you there, when they wake up, they expect you to be there still

I remember reading before that it can cause more issues if you stay in with them until they fall asleep.
I did it originally with my second.
But because they go sleep with you there, when they wake up, they expect you to be there still
Totally have this problem with my little boy. We co-slept until he was nearly two (I know 🤐) and he would self-settle himself to sleep in our room no problem at all. As soon as we moved him into room about 5 months ago he needs us there until he falls asleep and he will wake in the middle of the night and come in with us again. It’s a viscious cycle!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Totally have this problem with my little boy. We co-slept until he was nearly two (I know 🤐) and he would self-settle himself to sleep in our room no problem at all. As soon as we moved him into room about 5 months ago he needs us there until he falls asleep and he will wake in the middle of the night and come in with us again. It’s a viscious cycle!
Ah bloody hell this is terrifying 😅 he does sleep so well when he’s settled so maybe it’s just a phase? Such a minefield I just want to make sure he’s not going to sleep feeling sad or frightened!

Do it when you can keep them off for a good 5/6/7 days at home. I wouldn’t bother trying to do it across home and nursery.
My child's nursery were brilliant and I didn't take time off to potty train as it just wasn't realistic for me. They massively supported us through it to be honest. They know what they are doing more than me 🤣🤣

My 3 year old hasn’t slept though in her bed since September. I’ve mentioned this before, I’m over it now, but I’m wondering if anyone else has been through this and when does it end 😂
So she goes to bed in her own bed around 7:30pm. But anytime between say 11-2 she wakes up and either comes into our room or cries in her room for one of us to go and get her. We’re lucky enough to have a spare room so my other half will just go in there and I take her into our bed when this happens. She does go back asleep straight away till about 6:30/7 but yeah was just keen to hear similar experiences, surely this won’t go on forever? She has been out of nappies day and night for about 10 months and doesn’t nap during the day anymore x

also echo the comments about potty training, don’t start until you think they’re definitely ready. I’ve only got one child though so can’t really compare

Reactions: 3
My 3 year old hasn’t slept though in her bed since September. I’ve mentioned this before, I’m over it now, but I’m wondering if anyone else has been through this and when does it end 😂
So she goes to bed in her own bed around 7:30pm. But anytime between say 11-2 she wakes up and either comes into our room or cries in her room for one of us to go and get her. We’re lucky enough to have a spare room so my other half will just go in there and I take her into our bed when this happens. She does go back asleep straight away till about 6:30/7 but yeah was just keen to hear similar experiences, surely this won’t go on forever? She has been out of nappies day and night for about 10 months and doesn’t nap during the day anymore x

also echo the comments about potty training, don’t start until you think they’re definitely ready. I’ve only got one child though so can’t really compare
From my experience, I've just had to go cold turkey with things like that.
I waited til she was around 3ish so I knew she understood more.

Have you thought about a gro clock?
We started using it just before she turned 3. It took about a week of her to get used to it. We're now over a year in of using it and she hasn't left her room until 7am every day.
(apart from the odd occasion she can't find her Teddy) 😂

Another question, did you wait until she was dry at night to remove the nappies?
She's 4 in Feb and still in nappies at night

@WhatABore omg really? I’m gonna order a gro clock definitely. Yes I waited till her nappies were dry, she said herself though one day she wanted to wear knickers so I was quite lucky. Sorry I know that’s not very helpful. One of my friends daughter is 5 in July and she is still in pull ups at night, I think it’s more common than we realise xx

My now 6yo was 4.5 before he made the decision he didn’t need help any more at night. My husband got up and took him in to our spare room, and then he would sleep on happily like your wee one. We are kinda of the school of thought that if they then sleep on, that’s a win and we are happy to continue until they decide they don’t need it. One day not long in to the first lockdown my son told us he didn’t need help anymore, now he sleeps perfectly all night alone.

@WhatABore omg really? I’m gonna order a gro clock definitely. Yes I waited till her nappies were dry, she said herself though one day she wanted to wear knickers so I was quite lucky. Sorry I know that’s not very helpful. One of my friends daughter is 5 in July and she is still in pull ups at night, I think it’s more common than we realise xx
I knew it was a hormone but I keep seeing people say at 3 ect they're out at nights and wondering if there was anything I could do to encourage it.
She's been dry in the day since just after she was 2. So it's been quite a while!

Thank you though!

No advice but my 3 year old is exactly the same even down to times, we’ve kind of accepted it now as we don’t want him to wake up our nearly 2 year old screaming the place down by forcing him to stay in his bed (also cba to fight that battle when there’s so many other joyous battles at 3!) He’s already said when our new baby comes he’ll be sleeping in his own bed so he doesn’t have to hear the crying 🤣🤣 he knows what he’s doing! But he obviously feels safe in our bed so I’m just rolling with it.

No advice but my 3 year old is exactly the same even down to times, we’ve kind of accepted it now as we don’t want him to wake up our nearly 2 year old screaming the place down by forcing him to stay in his bed (also cba to fight that battle when there’s so many other joyous battles at 3!) He’s already said when our new baby comes he’ll be sleeping in his own bed so he doesn’t have to hear the crying 🤣🤣 he knows what he’s doing! But he obviously feels safe in our bed so I’m just rolling with it.
This Was my 5 year old when he was about 2.5/3. Crept in every night, but when I was heavily pregnant, we told him he was going to be a big brother and he had to stay in his bed and be a big boy, which worked, until last night when he snuck in and took up half the bed 🙃 I’m dreading moving my 2 year old into a bed, as he’s such a good sleeper, I don’t want to ruin that by giving him the freedom 😂

Any advice for weaning off the dummy 😅 my little boy is 2 next month and I really want it gone. He’s obsessed like he has a dummy then holds another dummy. He only has it at naptime or when he sleeps though, but he has to lie there holding them both. Sometimes if he is really badly teething or not well I’ll let him have a dummy if he is really upset but he doesn’t really have it when he’s awake! Thank you!

Any advice for weaning off the dummy 😅 my little boy is 2 next month and I really want it gone. He’s obsessed like he has a dummy then holds another dummy. He only has it at naptime or when he sleeps though, but he has to lie there holding them both. Sometimes if he is really badly teething or not well I’ll let him have a dummy if he is really upset but he doesn’t really have it when he’s awake! Thank you!
This is something else I waiting until she understood a bit more.
She again only had it when she slept, but we got rid of it just before she turned 3.
I felt like things were easier to do if I waited until they understood what was going on and I could explain to them.

I've seen lots of people do it where you take their dummies to "pay" for a toy they choose. And then anytime they ask for the dummy, you remind them they have the toy instead

• Heart
This is something else I waiting until she understood a bit more.
She again only had it when she slept, but we got rid of it just before she turned 3.
I felt like things were easier to do if I waited until they understood what was going on and I could explain to them.

I've seen lots of people do it where you take their dummies to "pay" for a toy they choose. And then anytime they ask for the dummy, you remind them they have the toy instead
Completely agree. We waited til my little one was nearly 3 and then told them that the dummies were going to the fairies. It's a lot easier to wait until they are older and can communicate with them. It was relatively easy to be honest - because we could explain that the baby fairies needed the dummies now etc x

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.