Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So she’s gone to sleep tonight just now, over 6 hours after she woke up from her nap. Is it worth seeing how she is off 1 hour 15 mins nap tomorrow? I really want to claw bedtime back to 8pm hmmmmm.

Sorry forgot to add she’s 2 years and 4 months x

So she’s gone to bed tonight at 8:20pm, about 6 hours after she woke up from her nap. Is it worth seeing how she is off 1 hour 15 mins nap tomorrow? I really want to claw bedtime back to 8pm hmmmmm

Sorry forgot to add she’s 2 years and 4 months x
My 2yr 8mth has to be awake before 2 to get him to sleep at a decent time. Even better if he only has 1 hour. However, if he misses a nap, he will go to be earlier, about 7, but he starts whinging from 3 onwards, and I’m not about that toddler life 😂

Reactions: 4
My 2yr 8mth has to be awake before 2 to get him to sleep at a decent time. Even better if he only has 1 hour. However, if he misses a nap, he will go to be earlier, about 7, but he starts whinging from 3 onwards, and I’m not about that toddler life 😂
At the moment she DEFO has to be up before 2:15pm but now I’m thinking 2pm. Then that’s 6 hours to bedtime. I just don’t want her to be cranky cos then the afternoon is a mess with a stressy toddler lol

Reactions: 1
At the moment she DEFO has to be up before 2:15pm but now I’m thinking 2pm. Then that’s 6 hours to bedtime. I just don’t want her to be cranky cos then the afternoon is a mess with a stressy toddler lol
Will she go to bed earlier? Maybe 11.30/12?

Will she go to bed earlier? Maybe 11.30/12?
Not at all, I tried it today and it’s pretty much 6 hours of her being awake she will fall asleep for naptime. 12:30-1 fits in with nursery schedule too. Bloody kids and naps 😪

She has lunch at 11:30am then naptime is 12:30, it’s been like this for a good year generally but just bedtime is a nightmare

Her nap time is too late in the day. If you want her to start going to sleep around 7.30/8pm you can’t have her asleep at 2pm!!!

If she wakes up at 7am let her nap either around 11ish for 30mins or 45mins or so and then get her up and give her lunch etc and then have a nice busy afternoon, dinner at 5ish then bath and into bed around 7/7.30 or keep her up until lunch at 12ish then let her nap after lunch but no more than an hour sleep make sure she’s awake before 1.30pm and having an active afternoon

Her nap time is too late in the day. If you want her to start going to sleep around 7.30/8pm you can’t have her asleep at 2pm!!!

If she wakes up at 7am let her nap either around 11ish for 30mins or 45mins or so and then get her up and give her lunch etc and then have a nice busy afternoon, dinner at 5ish then bath and into bed around 7/7.30 or keep her up until lunch at 12ish then let her nap after lunch but no more than an hour sleep make sure she’s awake before 1.30pm and having an active afternoon
thanks for your advice everyone!!

She won’t fall asleep at 11, I’ve got no chance 😂 that’s only 4 hours of awake time and we generally have a busy morning too. I think the latter is better - shes gunna be shattered off 1 hour😪 she okly
Had one hour 25 today and she was tearful all afternoon!! Fml feel like I can’t win really

Reactions: 3
We're in the same boat (god I seem to have a lot of the same problems as other people)

It's weird because bedtime used to be so easy, and no matter what time I put her down she'd nod off. Now we have like an hour and a half of talking to herself, which then descends into crying because she's tired herself out and gone past the point of overtiredness. It drives me nuts as I can't relax until I know she's zonked.

She won’t fall asleep at 11, I’ve got no chance 😂 that’s only 4 hours of awake time and we generally have a busy morning too. I think the latter is better - shes gunna be shattered off 1 hour😪 she okly
Had one hour 25 today and she was tearful all afternoon!! Fml feel like I can’t win really
It is a hard transition period, when they still need that nap and yet it can be a real barrier to bedtime. Personally, I don’t think waking up at 2pm is too late at all (and my kids would go to bed at 7pm at that age), but it’s about tweaking and making the changes that fit your situation best. Even though she’s had her routine for a year her sleep needs are changing as she gets older, and unfortunately until she’s ready to drop the nap (which brings its own issues!!) it can be a frustrating time of later to bed. The good news is that, as with all kid stages, it doesn’t last! Even when it feels never ending!

We're in the same boat (god I seem to have a lot of the same problems as other people)

It's weird because bedtime used to be so easy, and no matter what time I put her down she'd nod off. Now we have like an hour and a half of talking to herself, which then descends into crying because she's tired herself out and gone past the point of overtiredness. It drives me nuts as I can't relax until I know she's zonked.
THIS IS ME!!!!!😪😪😪😪😪hope it’s gets easier for you xxxxx

Maybe try not to be quite so ridged with the schedule. Instead of trying to put her down for a sleep (in the cot) or whatever at a set time maybe just let it flow a bit? A half hour nap on the sofa infront of the tv or whatever is still fine. If you are finding she’s grumpy after she wakes sometimes it just take perseverance - give it a few days and see how it goes?

Maybe try not to be quite so ridged with the schedule. Instead of trying to put her down for a sleep (in the cot) or whatever at a set time maybe just let it flow a bit? A half hour nap on the sofa infront of the tv or whatever is still fine. If you are finding she’s grumpy after she wakes sometimes it just take perseverance - give it a few days and see how it goes?
Shes not that child at all 😪 to put it this way - she would sit on the sofa all day and say no for a nap, when she needs one and becomes overtired and a screaming, unhappy mess. She also needs a dark room and her bed to fall asleep in. She’s not the type of child to fall asleep anywhere tbh. We’ve just come back off hols and she wouldn’t go for a nap on the plane until she literally couldn’t keep her eyes open after 8.5 hours of being awake, she just fought it so bad! And this is why everything’s a mess cos routine on hol went to tit 😂 (we’ve only been back a few days)

With this being said she thrives off routine. Just can’t seem to get her bedtime right now her awake time has gone to 6 hours. I’m hoping soon she will drop the nap but might be another 6 months yet

Shes not that child at all 😪 to put it this way - she would sit on the sofa all day and say no for a nap, when she needs one and becomes overtired and a screaming, unhappy mess. She also needs a dark room and her bed to fall asleep in. She’s not the type of child to fall asleep anywhere tbh.
It's as though we have the same child! Haha. When she's sick is the only time mine will fall asleep on the sofa.
In a way, I really can't wait until we drop the nap as then we can go out for the whole day and do stuff without worrying about her becoming a wreck. But I also love my time on my own in the middle of the day so I guess I have to just suck up the late bedtime and stuff and just crack on.

We're going to Cyprus in August for 2 weeks, she'll be 2 years and 8 months. I am a little bit dreading what we are going to do about bedtime and stuff already. I want to relax and go with the flow but also don't want to start any bad habits. She's still in a cot, and I think she may have to sleep in a bed in Cyprus so that will be fun.

Also, anyone else just not ready to transition to a bed yet? Hers has been up in her room for months but I'm too scared to move her, she's such a solid sleeper in the cot.

• Heart
It's as though we have the same child! Haha. When she's sick is the only time mine will fall asleep on the sofa.
In a way, I really can't wait until we drop the nap as then we can go out for the whole day and do stuff without worrying about her becoming a wreck. But I also love my time on my own in the middle of the day so I guess I have to just suck up the late bedtime and stuff and just crack on.

We're going to Cyprus in August for 2 weeks, she'll be 2 years and 8 months. I am a little bit dreading what we are going to do about bedtime and stuff already. I want to relax and go with the flow but also don't want to start any bad habits. She's still in a cot, and I think she may have to sleep in a bed in Cyprus so that will be fun.

Also, anyone else just not ready to transition to a bed yet? Hers has been up in her room for months but I'm too scared to move her, she's such a solid sleeper in the cot.
I don't know if it's any reassurance but both mine were great sleepers in the cot and continued being great sleepers in a bed too

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I think mine actually became a better sleeper in a bed 🙈 in the cot she would roll around so much, ending upside down and sideways and all sorts. She would quite often wake herself up a lot in the night too from rolling around so much. Since she has been in a bed she barely moves and doesn't seem to wake up as much

• Heart

My daughter is brilliant in any bed now, it’s made going away so much easier. When I went from cot to single bed, I got fave Character bedding, And a bed rail.. made a HUGE deal about how it was her big girl bed and how she is just like mummy with her big bed. No issues at all, she sleeps just as well. I got a really snuggly mattress topper as well and her bed is comfier than mine 😂

I have to make sure there’s no toys or books lying around in her room or else she gets up and plays with them when she should be going to sleep😂 learnt my lesson!

My son (2.5 yrs old) has always been a good sleeper and we were dreading the change to a bed. We had to do it last month when he started climbing out of the cot. It actually went really well, we had a bit of up and down on the first night as it was a novelty but since then he’s been as good as gold. We didn’t put him back in the bed or go in the room, just watched on the monitor. I knew if we kept going in and interacting he would think it was a game. He just decided to get back into bed and now he doesn’t get up at all once we’ve tucked him in.
Would definitely recommend letting them chose their bedding, my son loves his with animals on and remove any toys that they would want to play with!

We have Bluey bedding and dinosaur bedding, two of her favourites so I am hoping that helps :LOL:
I guess my main concern is the getting out of bed and playing silly buggers but once the novelty wears off I'm sure it will be fine. Think we may try soon, once I get over my nerves :ROFLMAO:

We have Bluey bedding and dinosaur bedding, two of her favourites so I am hoping that helps :LOL:
I guess my main concern is the getting out of bed and playing silly buggers but once the novelty wears off I'm sure it will be fine. Think we may try soon, once I get over my nerves :ROFLMAO:
Think if that happens, you just have to be firm in keep putting them back in bed. They'll soon get bored of it.

We also got a gro clock which is a huge help. Knowing they can't get out of bed until its yellow

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.