Toddler advice thread #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm the complete opposite to it all 😂
Sharing a bed was the one thing, even before kids I said I'd never do. My oldest is nearly 10. And I've got 3 kids.
And none of them have spent a single night in my bed, ever, not even an hour. (I sound so heartless😂)
It's been considered many times with the countless nights of no sleep.
But I've never done it.
I think I'd seen so many people before having the issue of not being able to get them to sleep alone, so from day 1 I was just like nope, not happening 😂
Surprised I've stuck to it tbh. Before kids I was a "I need 8 hours or more sleep or I won't function" kind of gal 😂
These days, I'm lucky if I get 2 undisturbed. I haven't slept past 5.30 since I had my 3rd and 5.30 is a lay in, it's usually between 4 and 4.30😂
You’re like me!! It’s been like for a few hours she’s come in at 5am or I’ve gone into hers but if I go into hers I’ll always go back to my bed. Oh my word…. 4:30am!!🫣 you must be so tired. I’m very lucky mini A sleeps pretty much 7:40pm to 7am but I find she sleeps better in winter where the room is all cosy and warm lol

Reactions: 1
You’re like me!! It’s been like for a few hours she’s come in at 5am or I’ve gone into hers but if I go into hers I’ll always go back to my bed. Oh my word…. 4:30am!!🫣 you must be so tired. I’m very lucky mini A sleeps pretty much 7:40pm to 7am but I find she sleeps better in winter where the room is all cosy and warm lol
My 10yo and 4yo were and still are amazing sleepers. Both used to sleep straight through from 6pm to past 9am some mornings. I still have to wake them at 7 for school every morning.
This time around, 3rd child is making up for the both of them i think 😂
Was certainly a shock to the system 😂

I’ve got to say, I honestly have no idea how people co share. I find it hard the odd night my daughter comes in at 4am (believe me they’re few and far between), I have a king size bed and she steals most of it 🤣 and then I can’t get into a deep sleep cos I’m paranoid! It’s the same if I share her single bed if she’s having a bad sleep. My friends just had her 4th child and her 3 year old still co shares their bed. Hats off to people who do it, I’d be exhausted if I co shared with mini A!

I’m interested to know- those who have/still do co share has it always been like this from day 1? And they’ve just never got comfortable sleeping without you? Or has it been like one night they’ve been unwell and then they’ve just not left. Mini A slept next to me in her cot (this was the same bed she slept in for her cot/toddler bed) and she transitioned really well to a single bed. I find it interesting that some kids don’t transition well even though it’s in the same room just a different bed. The wonderful world of children 🤣💖
We co-shared from day 1 and now she's 2+ she pushes me away from the bed because "she needs her space" 🙄. Most times, once she's asleep, ill put her back in her bed or I'll sleep in her bed (which is a single) depending on how I feel 😊

Reactions: 6
I was happy to co sleep with my eldest but she was not having it from day 1 she wanted her own space and we never co slept, I tried it a couple of times when she was wide awake in the middle of the night and she'd just rocket round the bed climbing all over us and generally being irritating.

So with this baby I thought we'd do the same, he slept well in his next to me, but then one day he just stopped! Tried the cot in case he was being too big for the next to me, no luck. So ever since about 5 months he has been in our bed either from about 10pm when we go to bed or from some time in the early hours. I thought I'd hate it but I actually don't mind it, and the cuddles are lovely.

Reactions: 4
I was happy to co sleep with my eldest but she was not having it from day 1 she wanted her own space and we never co slept, I tried it a couple of times when she was wide awake in the middle of the night and she'd just rocket round the bed climbing all over us and generally being irritating.

So with this baby I thought we'd do the same, he slept well in his next to me, but then one day he just stopped! Tried the cot in case he was being too big for the next to me, no luck. So ever since about 5 months he has been in our bed either from about 10pm when we go to bed or from some time in the early hours. I thought I'd hate it but I actually don't mind it, and the cuddles are lovely.
awwww!! My daughter is how you described yours in the first paragraph!🤣

hope everyone is well!

@WhatABore how is your daughter doing after her hospital stay?

awwww!! My daughter is how you described yours in the first paragraph!🤣

hope everyone is well!

@WhatABore how is your daughter doing after her hospital stay?
She's getting there, thank you!
Her main issue is getting her strength back now, she gets really tired from around 2pm and she's slowly getting strength back in her legs. She lost so much muscle from her legs she couldn't even get up the stairs.
She's always had quite chunky thighs but her leggings just hang off her now!
She's got another week off and then she's back to school but just for an hour and a half every morning so she isn't missing phonics!

She's got a school trip for a Christmas event on the 29th and they've said I can go too in my own car if I like, so she isn't missing out! That way, if she gets too tired, I can take her home at any point.
Works out fine for me too as it's an hour drive but it's where I grew up 😂 so I know everywhere anyway!

Thank you for asking ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Feeling a bit sad tonight. Well, more than just a bit.
Feel like the shittest mum in the world, with mini P still in a cot and still not toilet trained and she'll be 3 in a few weeks. Just really beating myself up about it. She's bright as a button, recognises numbers and letters, speaks full sentences but just can't quite get the big stuff. And I feel it's my fault 😭
And I proper shouted at her tonight when she asked to go in her bed for her sleep, then just kept getting out a million times, and I got really frustrated.
Feel like she would be better off without me. 😔

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Feel like the shittest mum in the world, with mini P still in a cot and still not toilet trained and she'll be 3 in a few weeks. Just really beating myself up about it. She's bright as a button, recognises numbers and letters, speaks full sentences but just can't quite get the big stuff. And I feel it's my fault 😭
And I proper shouted at her tonight when she asked to go in her bed for her sleep, then just kept getting out a million times, and I got really frustrated.
Aw 😔
It's not your fault in the slightest!
We all lose it at times and it's understandable!
She's still really young!
Some kids aren't potty trained until 3, nearly 4! Some even later!
I didn't plan on toilet training my kids until they were 3 but was pressured by my partners Mum!
They all learn at different paces.
When she's 16 and hanging out with her mates, nobody is going to care or even think about what age she was toilet trained or slept in a bed!

Could you consider a gro clock if she keeps getting out of bed?
I know I mentioned it before. And I feel like I should be sponsored by them at this point 😂 but it worked amazingly for us!

Reactions: 5
I totally get it, I had such a hang up about the potty training because all my friends kids were potty trained between 2.5-2.75 years old. My daughter is probably the most advanced of her friends in terms of speech, number and letter recognition etc and yet she was the last to potty train. We tried a few times and it was awful.

Then we tried again about 6 weeks after she was 3 and she just got it so fast! Like barely any accidents at all after 2 days.

I think they will just do it in their own time, when we tried at that point we'd decided if she didn't get it then we would leave it until she was 3.5 (obviously if she'd asked before 3.5 to use it we would have followed her lead) and if it still didn't work at 3.5 then we would worry a bit more.
Maybe try setting a further in the future goal? I found that really helped take the pressure off me and in turn I was probably more relaxed when it did come to potty training.

You're not a tit mum, you just want the best for your child but she will be fine, she's just doing it in her own time.

Reactions: 7
Please don’t ever feel like a tit mum just because she isn’t potty trained and not in a bed! She needs her mummy 💗
These toddlers are so different. My friends boy was 3 in September and he’s exactly like your daughter. His speech has and is amazing, but is still in nappies and in a cot. He shows no sign of getting rid of either, but it’s fine. He won’t be in a nappy and cot forever, and neither will your daughter x

Reactions: 7
Hi everyone I’m new to the thread 👋🏻 Im a SAHM to a 1 and a half year old. We’re currently at the stage where food gets fucked everywhere and anywhere 🤦‍♀️ Think I spend most of my day cleaning food up off the floor 🤣🤣 also refuses to wear a bib at meal times so I’m constantly having to clean stains out of her clothes and go through so many changes of clothes a day it’s unbelievable, please tell me they grow out of this stage eventually 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Hi everyone I’m new to the thread 👋🏻 Im a SAHM to a 1 and a half year old. We’re currently at the stage where food gets fucked everywhere and anywhere 🤦‍♀️ Think I spend most of my day cleaning food up off the floor 🤣🤣 also refuses to wear a bib at meal times so I’m constantly having to clean stains out of her clothes and go through so many changes of clothes a day it’s unbelievable, please tell me they grow out of this stage eventually 😂😂
split open a cheap bin bag and put it on the floor with some cellotape! I used to do this for my daughter and saved up loads of cleaning up food in the carpet lol x

Yes it does pass! Xx

Anyone with any words of wisdom on night weaning/stopping breastfeeding?

my daughter is 28 months and breastfeeds to sleep and roughly 2-3 times a night. She is in her own room on a floor bed (she has been since she was 10 months and this works well for us as I can still achieve some rest during her night wakes) and I am at the stage now when I’m feeling like I am ready to stop breastfeeding.

I find it a really emotional subject and have an overwhelming feeling of guilt at wanting to stop. 😬 I really don’t know where to begin as I find her crying extremely triggering and upsetting.

any thoughts or personal experiences would be helpful! ❤

edit to say: she’s only slept through the night about twice in her whole life so I’m not convinced night weaning will help achieve that, therefore am I being stupid for wanting to try?! 😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 2
Try not to get upset. It’s hard when you lose it I snapped at mine at 4am cos he was faffing around in bed. I felt horrible after but i don’t think he remembered when he woke up for a third time at 630. 🤣
Will she not sleep in her own bed? Maybe she finds it strange. Have you tried getting in with her until she falls asleep?
also don’t beat yourself up aboit her not being potty trained 3 is so young. Mine is 3.5 and still in nappies 🥹. I’m constantly getting nagged by my parents. But he’s my child and he isn’t ready imo. If she speaks full sentences knows numbers efc what big stuff are you wanting her to learn! She’s only 3 🥹. She’s not going to school for another year ? She’s got plenty of time. They will be at school from 4-16. These years are for playing and spending time with their parents ❤

Hi all, hope everyone is well.

Mini A has been potty trained for a good few weeks and she’s done really well, we didn’t have accidents but suddenly the last week she thinks pooing in her knickers is funny. When I ask her why she does it she laughs and zones out. Obviously I’ve told her off and told her it’s dirty, she knows a potty is for wee and poo as she tells me. So.. I’ve said to her if she keeps intentionally poo’ing in her pants we aren’t going anywhere. We are meant to be going to the zoo today and I don’t want to take her if she’s just going to purposely wee and poo in her underwear cos it’s disgusting. She knows full well when she needs to go… has anyone got any experiences of this? At first I thought it was an attention thing but she was with my dad all yesterday and even though he kept asking her she kept doing it. He kinda shouted at her and then when she needed a poo she took herself to big toilet, (we don’t really raise our voices but when she’s done it on purpose it gets frustrating)!!!! So she knows what’s going on. Hopefully the threat of taking away the nice things we do mean she starts realising it’s not funny!

Hi all, hope everyone is well.

Mini A has been potty trained for a good few weeks and she’s done really well, we didn’t have accidents but suddenly the last week she thinks pooing in her knickers is funny. When I ask her why she does it she laughs and zones out. Obviously I’ve told her off and told her it’s dirty, she knows a potty is for wee and poo as she tells me. So.. I’ve said to her if she keeps intentionally poo’ing in her pants we aren’t going anywhere. We are meant to be going to the zoo today and I don’t want to take her if she’s just going to purposely wee and poo in her underwear cos it’s disgusting. She knows full well when she needs to go… has anyone got any experiences of this? At first I thought it was an attention thing but she was with my dad all yesterday and even though he kept asking her she kept doing it. He kinda shouted at her and then when she needed a poo she took herself to big toilet, (we don’t really raise our voices but when she’s done it on purpose it gets frustrating)!!!! So she knows what’s going on. Hopefully the threat of taking away the nice things we do mean she starts realising it’s not funny!
I was actually going to reply to your first messages about her doing so well and say that don't be surprised if she goes backwards for a while as it tends to happen a lot!
Wish I had now so you'd have maybe been prepared.

The best thing I've found is to not actually acknowledge it.
Take her clothes off, clean her up, put new ones on without acknowledging it.
Rather than shouting/getting frustrated and creating fear around it

Reactions: 3
I was actually going to reply to your first messages about her doing so well and say that don't be surprised if she goes backwards for a while as it tends to happen a lot!
Wish I had now so you'd have maybe been prepared.

The best thing I've found is to not actually acknowledge it.
Take her clothes off, clean her up, put new ones on without acknowledging it.
Rather than shouting/getting frustrated and creating fear around it
I know I shouldn’t be negative towards it but shes doing it on purpose cos she finds it funny! Anyway this morning she told me she go potty cos we going to the zoo 😂 I’m just sick of it. It’s not fair on nursery or my dad, I’m her mum so I’ll clean up her poo no matter what but when nursery are even saying she’s doing it on purpose it gets embarrassing😟 she even told nursery she needed a poo and then purposely did it in her pants. Anyway… I’ve had a week of it and I don’t wanna keep taking her out if she’s just gunna wee and poo in her pants purposely cos it’s disgusting when she’s fully aware we don’t do it, at first I didn’t retaliate but after a week I’m sick of it 😂

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I know I shouldn’t be negative towards it but shes doing it on purpose cos she finds it funny! Anyway this morning she told me she go potty cos we going to the zoo 😂 I’m just sick of it. It’s not fair on nursery or my dad, I’m her mum so I’ll clean up her poo no matter what but when nursery are even saying she’s doing it on purpose it gets embarrassing😟 she even told nursery she needed a poo and then purposely did it in her pants. Anyway… I’ve had a week of it and I don’t wanna keep taking her out if she’s just gunna wee and poo in her pants purposely cos it’s disgusting when she’s fully aware we don’t do it, at first I didn’t retaliate but after a week I’m sick of it 😂
It is hugely frustrating. As I mentioned before, my 4yo wet herself almost daily, several times a day for over a year, after being potty trained for a whole year with no issues before.
So I definitley get the frustration.

But with her doing it, it could literally be for the attention she receives when doing it.
Sometimes kids just do it for the attention, whether that attention is good or bad.
Only reason I suggest not acknowledging it.
It may not work but it at least rules out that possibility

So she’s just taken herself to the normal toilet, but her seat on and shouted mummy I’m doing it big girl no potty 😂aren’t kids bizarre??? 😂 thanks for your advice hopefully today is better x

So she’s just taken herself to the normal toilet, but her seat on and shouted mummy I’m doing it big girl no potty 😂aren’t kids bizarre??? 😂 thanks for your advice hopefully today is better x
I would risk the zoo. You can’t not go anywhere incase she does an accident. Just take her home if she does? Can you explain that If she does do it in her knickers you’ll have to go home?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.