Toddler advice thread #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey guys, new to this thread 🫶 My daughter is 21 months old. She hates her travel system and always has done since she can walk! I’m in two minds about buying a stroller. We’re going on a few day trips soon and we need to have some kind of pram, but I’m just worried of buying one and her hating it! I think she doesn’t like the travel system because it doesn’t incline fully to sit her up. So I’m thinking of getting a stroller that fully inclines which she might prefer. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Would you recommend me buying one or leaving it? 🤯

Hey guys, new to this thread 🫶🏽 My daughter is 21 months old. She hates her travel system and always has done since she can walk! I’m in two minds about buying a stroller. We’re going on a few day trips soon and we need to have some kind of pram, but I’m just worried of buying one and her hating it! I think she doesn’t like the travel system because it doesn’t incline fully to sit her up. So I’m thinking of getting a stroller that fully inclines which she might prefer. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Would you recommend me buying one or leaving it? 🤯
I think a stroller is always a good thing to have. My kids have always gone into a stroller before they are 1 as I hate the bulkyness of a travel system. We have used 4 different strollers for each child, and I can honestly say the one we have now is the best. It folds up into a square and you can put it up/take it down with one hand. However, as she is older, you can get cheap ones that don’t break the bank. I never look back after buying a stroller 😂
Failing that, what about a trike? She might like that better?

Reactions: 2
Hey guys, new to this thread 🫶 My daughter is 21 months old. She hates her travel system and always has done since she can walk! I’m in two minds about buying a stroller. We’re going on a few day trips soon and we need to have some kind of pram, but I’m just worried of buying one and her hating it! I think she doesn’t like the travel system because it doesn’t incline fully to sit her up. So I’m thinking of getting a stroller that fully inclines which she might prefer. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Would you recommend me buying one or leaving it? 🤯
a cheap stroller i think would be best! or a trike, you can get some really good trikes that look like strollers

I think a stroller is always a good thing to have. My kids have always gone into a stroller before they are 1 as I hate the bulkyness of a travel system. We have used 4 different strollers for each child, and I can honestly say the one we have now is the best. It folds up into a square and you can put it up/take it down with one hand. However, as she is older, you can get cheap ones that don’t break the bank. I never look back after buying a stroller 😂
Failing that, what about a trike? She might like that better?
What stroller have you got now? I’ve seen a few but there are so many! Trike is a good shout. We already have one so if all else fails we’ll be taking that with us 😅

What stroller have you got now? I’ve seen a few but there are so many! Trike is a good shout. We already have one so if all else fails we’ll be taking that with us 😅
It’s a city jogger (not that I do jogging 😂) but it is such a lovely push and so small and easy. When I was pregnant with the baby, my toddler was about 18 months ish and I struggled pushing him in a buggy doing the school run, and he was too slow to walk it. The trike was honestly, the best Christmas present I have ever got a child. So lightweight and had a big basket thing. Was well worth every bit of money for us at that time!

Seriously why are toddlers little satans. I honestly am so over the constant screaming and whinging and hitting and just general disrespect 😂 I know they don’t understand how to express themselves but my god 🥴 it doesn’t matter how much 1:1 attention to activities we do in a day, he woke up in a mood and the day was just that. Finishing off with some standard bedtime tantrums that we had avoided for a good while but he’s back with a vengeance

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Hopping on over from the new baby thread because I should probably be here now she's 16 months 🤣
How much fun is the "no" phase. Everything is no even if its yes 😭 driving me up the wall. Also jumping backwards off the windowsill (we have low ones). Genuinely think she is out to give me a heart attack 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Hopping on over from the new baby thread because I should probably be here now she's 16 months 🤣
How much fun is the "no" phase. Everything is no even if its yes 😭 driving me up the wall. Also jumping backwards off the windowsill (we have low ones). Genuinely think she is out to give me a heart attack 🤣🤣
this sounds like my 2yo 🤣🤣 i think he thinks he’s on an episode of Jackass sometimes

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Thanks for your comments with regards to co sleeping 🥰
Don't really know what to do. She does have a cold, but we've had millions of colds and she's never been this unsettled. Since we moved her from cot to bed a week ago, she has only done one full night's sleep and that was the first night! She won't go to sleep without one of us there (never had to do this when she was in a cot) and she always wakes up screaming about 11pm and won't settle back down so one of us either sleeps in with her or we bring her in to our bed.
I'm wondering if we should just go back to the cot as her sleep was pretty much perfect in it. Maybe the bed is just too scary for her right now? I dunno. I'm exhausted. I do like sleeping with her sometimes but also hate the judgey comments from my mum (who has basically said she won't have her for sleepovers unless she sleeps in her own bed) and I always end up with no duvet and a back ache the next morning. I guess I just didn't think that after two years of sleeping through, we would be back to this! It's making me feel so down, which I know sounds silly but I just miss my evenings and everything.

Just finding it really difficult.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Don't really know what to do. She does have a cold, but we've had millions of colds and she's never been this unsettled. Since we moved her from cot to bed a week ago, she has only done one full night's sleep and that was the first night! She won't go to sleep without one of us there (never had to do this when she was in a cot) and she always wakes up screaming about 11pm and won't settle back down so one of us either sleeps in with her or we bring her in to our bed.
I'm wondering if we should just go back to the cot as her sleep was pretty much perfect in it. Maybe the bed is just too scary for her right now? I dunno. I'm exhausted. I do like sleeping with her sometimes but also hate the judgey comments from my mum (who has basically said she won't have her for sleepovers unless she sleeps in her own bed) and I always end up with no duvet and a back ache the next morning. I guess I just didn't think that after two years of sleeping through, we would be back to this! It's making me feel so down, which I know sounds silly but I just miss my evenings and everything.

As difficult as it is, it may be a case of persisting with it for a couple of weeks. She may get used to it.
I think going back to the cot, you may just be prolonging this to happen again maybe.
Could you get her a gro clock? Not sure how old she is

The thing with letting them in your bed (not as a bad thing, if you enjoy it, then great)
But they know if they get up, then they'll be able to. And who doesn't want to sleep with their parents instead of alone?
So if the option is there and they know they can do it, they will 😊

I know how difficult this is. Mine is 2 as well and since she was born, she never took to a cot. We ended up co-sleeping which saved us a lot of sleepless nights (minus the feeding and changing) as we all slept together and well.
We got her a bed when she turned 2 but we put her bed in our room, next to ours. For some weeks, she didn't want to sleep in her bed but preferred to play in it to get used to it. After about a month, she enjoys sleeping in her bed because she know she can always jump into ours (which we allow her to do - especially if she's ill).
She now sleeps in hers and I sometimes sleep with her in hers, if she's ill or has nightmares.

I'll say do what's easier and stress-free for you rather than forcing - forcing never worked for me, neither did persisting until she gives in (she has the strongest will I have ever seen 😳).

Reactions: 5
I’ve got to say, I honestly have no idea how people co share. I find it hard the odd night my daughter comes in at 4am (believe me they’re few and far between), I have a king size bed and she steals most of it 🤣 and then I can’t get into a deep sleep cos I’m paranoid! It’s the same if I share her single bed if she’s having a bad sleep. My friends just had her 4th child and her 3 year old still co shares their bed. Hats off to people who do it, I’d be exhausted if I co shared with mini A!

I’m interested to know- those who have/still do co share has it always been like this from day 1? And they’ve just never got comfortable sleeping without you? Or has it been like one night they’ve been unwell and then they’ve just not left. Mini A slept next to me in her cot (this was the same bed she slept in for her cot/toddler bed) and she transitioned really well to a single bed. I find it interesting that some kids don’t transition well even though it’s in the same room just a different bed. The wonderful world of children 🤣💖

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Well, I did probably a bad thing and put her back in the cot tonight so we'll see how that goes... (to answer a previous question, she will be 3 in a couple of weeks)
I know it's probably a step backwards, but I figure she will sleep in a bed one day, just maybe not right now. Maybe we'll try again in a week or two, or over the Xmas holidays when we aren't knackered from work and hopefully, she manages to go a couple of weeks without being ill. 😬She just basically will not settle tonight in the bed, she gets hysterical every time my partner leaves the room (she wants him, not me) but when he tries laying on the floor beside her bed, she just plays silly buggers and keeps leaning over and talking to him :ROFLMAO: and then when he got up to leave, she cried so much she gagged and was nearly sick.
I dunno. I suspect she won't settle in there either and we'll have to bring her into our bed again 😭 Wonder why I bothered giving her a bedroom half the time haha.

• Heart
I’ve got to say, I honestly have no idea how people co share. I find it hard the odd night my daughter comes in at 4am (believe me they’re few and far between), I have a king size bed and she steals most of it 🤣 and then I can’t get into a deep sleep cos I’m paranoid! It’s the same if I share her single bed if she’s having a bad sleep. My friends just had her 4th child and her 3 year old still co shares their bed. Hats off to people who do it, I’d be exhausted if I co shared with mini A!

I’m interested to know- those who have/still do co share has it always been like this from day 1? And they’ve just never got comfortable sleeping without you? Or has it been like one night they’ve been unwell and then they’ve just not left. Mini A slept next to me in her cot (this was the same bed she slept in for her cot/toddler bed) and she transitioned really well to a single bed. I find it interesting that some kids don’t transition well even though it’s in the same room just a different bed. The wonderful world of children 🤣💖
Honestly I have no idea what happened with mine. Was in our room in his Moses basket. Always slept fine in there. Went into his own room like 5 months when he got too big. Slept in there fine alll the time. Up until 10 months and now he’s 3 and a bit and still in my bed. I just can’t get him out 😂. Once I was up for like 3 hours at 1am - 4am trying to get him back asleep in his cot , and had to go work ( im a postie ) and I don’t think I tried again 🤣. We’re doing his room up currently rlf has made him a bed & hoping he’ll sleep in there! Sometimes when I sit downstairs after he’s gone to bed he wakes up after a few hours crying but he always goes back to sleep once I comfort him.
It is hard work and me and rlf just want our bed back 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 3
i can’t remember when mini melon started co sharing with me… i just let him in once when he weren’t sleeping well and it was the best nights sleep i’d had in ages 🤣 i don’t even bat an eyelid if he wants to get in with me. i find myself more paranoid if he doesn’t 😂

Reactions: 3
Awwwww🥰🥰 I found the nights Mini A would say yes to my bed she was wide awake and it was just abit of a disaster 🤣 I’ve always been slightly jealous of those who get snuggles at night but the odd times she’s fallen asleep in my bed I think there’s no way you’re staying hun🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: 1
Awwwww🥰🥰 I found the nights Mini A would say yes to my bed she was wide awake and it was just abit of a disaster 🤣 I’ve always been slightly jealous of those who get snuggles at night but the odd times she’s fallen asleep in my bed I think there’s no way you’re staying hun🤣🤣🤣🤣
The other morning I woke up and my little boys hand was on my cheek 😍. It was adorable. I don’t mind most nights but if we have a bad night and he disturbs me by being restless it does take it toll but that’s quite rare

• Heart
Sometimes my little boy wakes up , climbs out of his bed, goes up to the monitor and goes ‘get in mummy’s bed’ and it melts my heart so i let him in 😂😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Sometimes my little boy wakes up , climbs out of his bed, goes up to the monitor and goes ‘get in mummy’s bed’ and it melts my heart so i let him in 😂😂😂
AWWWWW🥰🥰🥰 A loves coming into my bed in a morning before we have to get up and get dressed for nursery/work and I love that we have snuggles to start the day. We cuddle during the day but I’ve randomly started shouting “it’s cuddle o’clockkkkk” and I make sure I actively make time to snuggle her fully. She makes me do rock a by baby several times over and over again and she says mummy I am your baby shhhh baby sleepikg🤣🤣🤣🤣

Has anyone been to Lapland UK? It’s 4 hours from us and I really want to take mini A next year, from reading it’s open every day from end of Nov to Xmas eve. I’ve reserved a hotel that’s pay at the property in a town nearby for us as I’m not driving there and back in a day, and it’s close to Windsor too so we can go to some festive events at legoland!

Last edited:
  • Heart

I'm the complete opposite to it all 😂
Sharing a bed was the one thing, even before kids I said I'd never do. My oldest is nearly 10. And I've got 3 kids.
And none of them have spent a single night in my bed, ever, not even an hour. (I sound so heartless😂)
It's been considered many times with the countless nights of no sleep.
But I've never done it.
I think I'd seen so many people before having the issue of not being able to get them to sleep alone, so from day 1 I was just like nope, not happening 😂
Surprised I've stuck to it tbh. Before kids I was a "I need 8 hours or more sleep or I won't function" kind of gal 😂
These days, I'm lucky if I get 2 undisturbed. I haven't slept past 5.30 since I had my 3rd and 5.30 is a lay in, it's usually between 4 and 4.30😂

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.