Toddler Advice Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@strawberrysunshine_x @Okgolightly

Thanks so much šŸ„°šŸ„°
So my friend seems to work quite a lot she's always working and doing over time. Which is why I'm always shocked at how much she does with her little one. Because she does sooooo much with her!
I'm also trying to save money as I want to move nearer to my mum and my family and friends so I haven't got as much money as I'd like to take my little boy to places.
It's so hard to compare though, as me and my friend were pregnant the same time and there's 2 weeks difference in age. And she always tells me when her child has met each milestone and my little boy has always been behind her, and I suppose it makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong, as she seems to have it all together. Xx
Pls donā€™t forget statistically boys are a bit slower than girls apparently !? Can anyone back me up her. My friend has a girl who is a month younger than my boy and she did everything before Him!!! Itā€™s so hard not to compare but pls donā€™t worry. You sound like an amazing mum. Your son wonā€™t remember the places you take him but heā€™ll always remember the time he has with you

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Thanks so much šŸ„°šŸ„°
So my friend seems to work quite a lot she's always working and doing over time. Which is why I'm always shocked at how much she does with her little one. Because she does sooooo much with her!
I'm also trying to save money as I want to move nearer to my mum and my family and friends so I haven't got as much money as I'd like to take my little boy to places.
It's so hard to compare though, as me and my friend were pregnant the same time and there's 2 weeks difference in age. And she always tells me when her child has met each milestone and my little boy has always been behind her, and I suppose it makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong, as she seems to have it all together. Xx
Sometimes people over share because things in reality arenā€™t as good as they want them to seemā€¦maybe just have this in the back of your mind when listening to your friend? Every child develops different, milestones are useful to be aware of but ultimately how many people ask us now what age we started walking and talking?! Being a mum is hard and itā€™s made harder when some make it into a competition or even when you see on social media what looks like everyone doing more than you. I myself get so fixated sometimes on what Mums with more money do/the toys their kids have that mine doesnā€™t/the food they eat etc. At the end of the day youā€™re doing your best and sound like a great mum- just remember that ā¤

My daughter is 19 months old- only child, walking, somewhat talking etc. But over the last few days sheā€™s been really quiet and not her usual self; sheā€™s also been sleeping more than she would usually do. Thereā€™s no temperature or anything when Iā€™ve checked. I suppose Iā€™m just checking in to see if anyoneā€™s had similar? I think itā€™s her teeth as sheā€™s had a few coming through at once but I have quite bad anxiety and now Iā€™ve got the thought in my head thereā€™s something wrong with her I canā€™t get it out!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Sometimes people over share because things in reality arenā€™t as good as they want them to seemā€¦maybe just have this in the back of your mind when listening to your friend? Every child develops different, milestones are useful to be aware of but ultimately how many people ask us now what age we started walking and talking?! Being a mum is hard and itā€™s made harder when some make it into a competition or even when you see on social media what looks like everyone doing more than you. I myself get so fixated sometimes on what Mums with more money do/the toys their kids have that mine doesnā€™t/the food they eat etc. At the end of the day youā€™re doing your best and sound like a great mum- just remember that ā¤

My daughter is 19 months old- only child, walking, somewhat talking etc. But over the last few days sheā€™s been really quiet and not her usual self; sheā€™s also been sleeping more than she would usually do. Thereā€™s no temperature or anything when Iā€™ve checked. I suppose Iā€™m just checking in to see if anyoneā€™s had similar? I think itā€™s her teeth as sheā€™s had a few coming through at once but I have quite bad anxiety and now Iā€™ve got the thought in my head thereā€™s something wrong with her I canā€™t get it out!
Thanks so much, I suppose you are right. Never thought of it like that.
I mean, maybe she just feels offside, like sometimes we do? And that's why she's anit quieter and sleeping more?
But I understand the anxiety all too well! I mean I would just keep an eye on her and see how she is in the next few days? Xx

Reactions: 2

Thanks so much šŸ„°šŸ„°
My friend had her girl 5 days after my boy, and it really is hard not to compare but it really is the thief of joy. Every child is going to have their own timeline, and even though my boy was slower to walk and talk - already at 2y4m you wouldnā€™t be able to tell. I know so much that itā€™s hard not to compare, I definitely did and I definitely got down about it - but it does no one any good. Enjoy your son at the stage he is at ā¤
There is no better mum for your boy than you!

• Heart
My friend had her girl 5 days after my boy, and it really is hard not to compare but it really is the thief of joy. Every child is going to have their own timeline, and even though my boy was slower to walk and talk - already at 2y4m you wouldnā€™t be able to tell. I know so much that itā€™s hard not to compare, I definitely did and I definitely got down about it - but it does no one any good. Enjoy your son at the stage he is at ā¤
My friends boy is 2 weeks younger than my 3yo, and his speech is amazing. My boys speech isnā€™t great, most people canā€™t understand him (we do) and I was fed up of comparing. He had glue ear for a year, so that didnā€™t help, but he knew colours/numbers/fully potty trained loads more before his little friend. They done everything else at the same time, it is just his speech heā€™s delayed on,
but itā€™s not something I am that bothered about, because I know heā€™ll get there
Iā€™m so glad my other 3 children were born when no one else was pregnant, so I could compare and drive myself crazy šŸ˜‚

@WhatABore @Jellybean093 you have both cheered me up so, so much. Thanks for your kind words and just knowing that you get it is enough! Being a mum is so hard isn't it?
Thanks for your words and support xxxx
So hard! My eldest is 13, and it doesnā€™t get any easier šŸ« šŸ˜‚

I know where youā€™re coming from. Mine started pre school in September 5 days a week and I actually feel so guilty about it šŸ™ˆcos if you think they are gonna be in full time school hours from 3 years to 16 šŸ˜Ŗ. But itā€™s the best place for him. Heā€™s like yours and just wants tv or iPad whilst heā€™s playing. And when Iā€™m on my days off I do miss him sooo much when heā€™s at pre school but he enjoys it
They do sooo much more than I can. My days are full of sitting at a laptop. Itā€™s always ā€˜in a minuteā€™ ā€˜wait a secondā€™ ā€˜just stop talking, and watch the iPadā€™ itā€™s a tough job!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Awwww this is so true! And I will try and not to compare because it does drag me down. I suppose I worry he's not as quick as my friends child because I don't take him out with other children as much, and that was my worry but I won't worry as much now xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Awwww this is so true! And I will try and not to compare because it does drag me down. I suppose I worry he's not as quick as my friends child because I don't take him out with other children as much, and that was my worry but I won't worry as much now xxx
All the things they are learning at this stage (eg walking, talking) are either coming naturally with gross motor, or they are picking up from adults. Other kids teach them almost nothing that really sticks at this age, so please donā€™t worry that youā€™re doing him a disservice.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My daughter is up cos sheā€™s scared of the dark! Sheā€™s woke up cos her room was too warm (oops), and she was telling me how sheā€™s scared of the dark. I turned the bathroom light on and left it so she has some light into her bedroom but Iā€™m led in bed and sheā€™s just screaming every now and again. When I was in there she was saying ā€œbeeā€ and I have no idea why. Iā€™m at a loss with this! Iā€™m just led in bed cos I think sheā€™s doing it for attention now ā€¦ she isnā€™t screaming or crying now (in fact thereā€™s been no real tears just screaming on and off) šŸ„“ urgh!!!

• Heart
Has anyone got any tips for making my daughter keep a hair bobble in? Her hair is at like a short Bob legnth and it just isnā€™t growing much but it looks so tatty without a bobble in. Iā€™ve tried clips, hair bands, everything. She leaves it in for all of 5 mins and then pulls it out! šŸ„“

Has anyone got any tips for making my daughter keep a hair bobble in? Her hair is at like a short Bob legnth and it just isnā€™t growing much but it looks so tatty without a bobble in. Iā€™ve tried clips, hair bands, everything. She leaves it in for all of 5 mins and then pulls it out! šŸ„“
Only thing that has worked is just continuously catching them when they go to pull it out.
Every single time šŸ˜‚
It's annoying but eventually they give up!

Reactions: 1
Only thing that has worked is just continuously catching them when they go to pull it out.
Every single time šŸ˜‚
It's annoying but eventually they give up!
Thank you! Howā€™s your daughter doing? How are you?? Xx

Thank you! Howā€™s your daughter doing? How are you?? Xx
We're currently sitting back up in a&e!
Day 6 now of temperature. Up to 40 without calpol and ibroprofen.

Took everyone's advice and got some ibroprofen and it's brought her temperature down a bit by alternating the 2.

We've been seen by a nurse and she said "But her temperature is fine"

Yessss because she's dosed up on calpol and ibroprofen šŸ˜‘šŸ˜‘šŸ˜‘

Thank you for asking! ā¤

• Heart
Reactions: 8
To be honest I just left my daughter's hair to look wild until she was old enough to understand not to pull clips or bands out! Probably not the answer you are looking for though šŸ¤£

• Haha
As with @TheBabeWithThePower if they donā€™t want stuff in their hair I donā€™t force it. Itā€™s their hair after all, and my life is too short to be arguing over clips. The only thing is they must have it brushed before we leave the house, and tied up for school. Other than that they can have it how they like. I offer to do it each day (weekends and holidays) sometimes they take me up in the offer, sometimes not.

As with @TheBabeWithThePower if they donā€™t want stuff in their hair I donā€™t force it. Itā€™s their hair after all, and my life is too short to be arguing over clips. The only thing is they must have it brushed before we leave the house, and tied up for school. Other than that they can have it how they like. I offer to do it each day (weekends and holidays) sometimes they take me up in the offer, sometimes not.
This has been my motto to be honest since she was born, Iā€™ve never put anything in her hair like headbands etc. but for nursery it just looks scratty!

I did the opposite. I started it young and every day so they got used to it šŸ˜‚
Luckily haven't had to fight them for it yet šŸ˜‚
My 4yo hates having her hair down

Update nobody asked for on the 4yo.

Currently they've seen she has a uti and ear infection.
They think there's something else though. She's had bloods taken and an xray because she hurt her knee last week and still can't walk properly. So they're concerned it's an infection in the joint.

Her heart rate is currently sitting at 165bpm šŸ˜©
We were supposed to go back to a waiting room but she's fallen asleep on the bed after doing her bloods so they've left us in here!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 15

They think there's something else though. She's had bloods taken and an xray because she hurt her knee last week and still can't walk properly. So they're concerned it's an infection in the joint.

We were supposed to go back to a waiting room but she's fallen asleep on the bed after doing her bloods so they've left us in here!
Oh no I hope youā€™re both ok šŸ˜© at least you might finally be getting some answers and you know that youā€™ve done the right thing in being persistent with them! Hoping youā€™re both home soon and your little girl starts to pick up šŸ’›

• Heart

Omg. Bless her šŸ˜­šŸ˜­. I hope that doctor that put you down as anxious is sorry!!
hope sheā€™s on the mend soon& you get some answers. Honestly Iā€™m shocked itā€™s taken them this long like they think itā€™s normal to have a high temperature !!!

Reactions: 4

Been thinking of you. Hopefully now they know what it is, joint infection pending, they can get her back on the mend. You must be exhausted! ā¤

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.