Toddler Advice Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How old are these toddlers going into beds?!
I got my daughter a single bed when she was 2. I found she slept better as she had more room to sprawl out 😄 and I was able to comfort her and lie down in bed with her if she was having a bad night. It works so well for us!

Reactions: 2
mine moved into a cot bed at exactly a year. He was screaming every time he had to get into his cot, wouldn’t settle. We moved him into a single about 18 months because we were having our second not long after so wanted him out of the cot. If he was happy and there was no other baby, we’d have kept him in the cot longer - I’m hoping we’ll be able to with this baby then move him into a floor bed

Reactions: 1
Not sure if this is the best thread for this but couldn’t see any others suitable - inspired by Lily Pebbles’ thread, I wanted to ask if anyone had any good suggestions for questions to ask when we look round primary schools soon 😅 I feel like I might forget something obvious/important!

Moved my son at around 2 and a half and my daughter at 2y 3months because she broke her cot 😂 so didn't have much choice!

Not sure if this is the best thread for this but couldn’t see any others suitable - inspired by Lily Pebbles’ thread, I wanted to ask if anyone had any good suggestions for questions to ask when we look round primary schools soon 😅 I feel like I might forget something obvious/important!
I think they cover most thing as you go around.
Have you got more than 1 school in your catchment area?

We didn't get the option to look around the schools unfortunately. She started in September.

Moved my son at around 2 and a half and my daughter at 2y 3months because she broke her cot 😂 so didn't have much choice!

I think they cover most thing as you go around.
Have you got more than 1 school in your catchment area?

We didn't get the option to look around the schools unfortunately. She started in September.
Yeah there’s two really close by, so we’re viewing both! Will probably go with the nearest unless the other one really wows us, but still want to do our due diligence.

Reactions: 1
Honestly I wouldn’t bother asking too much (unless they don’t tell you much). All answers are going to make them out in the best light, and are the ideal circumstance. You will know more by how you feel in the school, and also speaking to any parents who have kids there.

Reactions: 4
Yeah there’s two really close by, so we’re viewing both! Will probably go with the nearest unless the other one really wows us, but still want to do our due diligence.
Don't just base it on ofsted like a lot of people do.
I've worked in a few nurseries/schools who are a completely different place when ofted aren't around.
I mean, most put on their best performance for ofsted of course.
But the ones I've been in that I'm referring to, would probably fail ofsted if they didn't know they were coming!

Love that she's inspired you 🤣

Our list was this:
Staff levels - TA etc
Settling in period
Outdoor/physical activity time
Intake numbers with numbers of siblings expected etc
Art/drama/music/sport/other etc
How do you support low and high achievers?
Behaviour management systems?
Is outdoor access freeflow or at certain times (reception only)?
Transition to year 1 - play provision etc
Whole school time? Lunch, assemblies etc?
Faith
Library
Computer & internet usage - time spent and safety
Supporting children to learn in the best way for them
Enquiry, questioning, skepticism Vs rote, certainty
School trips etc
Nature opportunities

However lots of these things were covered in the tour. Let me know if any of them don't make sense!

Our list was this:
Staff levels - TA etc
Settling in period
Faith
Library
School trips etc
Nature opportunities

However lots of these things were covered in the tour. Let me know if any of them don't make sense!
Settling in period is a good question actually!

I didn't know what my schools settling in period was like as I know a lot of schools start them full time from day 1. And I was dreading if that happened!

Our school was amazing. We had 2 visits before summer holidays and then first week until 12, second week until 1 so they had lunch and then full time from the 3rd week!

Reactions: 3

Our list was this:
Staff levels - TA etc
Settling in period
Faith
Library
School trips etc
Nature opportunities

What a list! I’ve put 2 kids into primary schools, and I’ve just gone by if they’re Catholic or not 😂 I’ve never asked any questions, just put them in and hoped for the best! We did view them though, as I did secondary schools. Also didn’t ask any questions with that 😂

@Definitelyme I’m not sure if you remember but a few months ago I said my boy was stuttering and i think it was you who mentioned your nephew was doing the same? I was wondering if he’s still doing it? My 3y/o is still stuttering, it cleared up for a few weeks but it’s back again, he’s probably been doing it again for the last few weeks. I know its developmentally normal, especially for boys, but I wasn’t sure when I should start to worry and maybe see a doctor or something

• Heart
I got my daughter a single bed when she was 2. I found she slept better as she had more room to sprawl out 😄 and I was able to comfort her and lie down in bed with her if she was having a bad night. It works so well for us!
How did she get on today with toilet in

@Definitelyme I’m not sure if you remember but a few months ago I said my boy was stuttering and i think it was you who mentioned your nephew was doing the same? I was wondering if he’s still doing it? My 3y/o is still stuttering, it cleared up for a few weeks but it’s back again, he’s probably been doing it again for the last few weeks. I know its developmentally normal, especially for boys, but I wasn’t sure when I should start to worry and maybe see a doctor or something
Yes, I do remember. My nephew stopped totally out of the blue, just as it had started. It’s one of those things that I hadn’t actually noticed had stopped until you’ve just mentioned it so I can’t tell you when exactly that happened, sorry.
If you’re worried you could speak to your HV X

How did she get on today with toilet in
So..

They said she had a good concept of why we use a potty but when she’s distracted she wee’s herself, and she does wee a lot 😂

She wanted to go and asked to go, then asked to go with her friends. 5 times on the potty and 5 accidents .. hopefully tomorrow is better! She’s just got to get used to not always having a toilet near her and I’m sure her bladder control will get better 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 6
So..

They said she had a good concept of why we use a potty but when she’s distracted she wee’s herself, and she does wee a lot 😂

She wanted to go and asked to go, then asked to go with her friends. 5 times on the potty and 5 accidents .. hopefully tomorrow is better! She’s just got to get used to not always having a toilet near her and I’m sure her bladder control will get better 😁
That is good tho that she asked !!! 5 accidents I wouldn’t say is extreme cos remember when they’re with their friends they get distracted don’t they!! Sounds like she’s doing really well. I’m so glad she asked as well!!

• Heart
So..

So my little one had started potty training about 3 weeks before going back to nursery (did it over the summer and her nursery is term time only) so she'd not had any accidents for more than two weeks when she went, her first day back at nursery she has 3 accidents but literally the next day she had none and hasn't had any since then, the different situation just throws them for a day or two but I bet your little one will soon crack it there too.

So..

Ah! I know it doesn’t feel like it, but 5 accidents isn’t actually that bad! And the fact she went 5 times also, is sooo good! Bless her

Reactions: 5
So..

Really normal to be distracted with fun stuff and not quite remember to go on time! Definitely don’t be worrying about it at all!

So to those who asked, my daughter will be 3 in about 6 weeks. 😬 But she is a (generally) phenomenal sleeper who has never once tried climbing out of a cot and actually asks to go in it! She has had a single bed in her room for months and I think, if I'm honest, she is probably ready... but I'm not. I'm worried it will rock the boat! :ROFLMAO: But yeah, I am probably being selfish but also of the view that if it ain't broke, don't fix it?! Though I know she will need to soon, as when we stay at my mums (which is about once a month) she has to sleep in a travel cot and she's getting too big for it - though obviously her actual cot is roomier and she's not outgrown it yet (it's not a cotbed though, so sadly can't take the sides off)

Also, she's woken up this morning with a STONKER of a cold. Guessing it's not ideal to transition when ill anyway? Or am I making excuses :ROFLMAO:

ETA: Is anyone else just fed up with the relentless illness of toddlerhood? Every 3/4 weeks she's ill with a cold and it always seems to knock her for six.

Thanks everyone xxx I feel really positive and I’m so proud of mini A, she’s really taken to it and she was SO happy to come home and sit on her potty 😌🥰

She’s at nursery tomorrow then we have two days off with each other so can do lots more training! I feel guilty I don’t want to go anywhere until she’s more confident with potty training so I’m going to get some Halloween craft stuff off Amazon for Wednesday/Thursday 🎃

So to those who asked, my daughter will be 3 in about 6 weeks. 😬 But she is a (generally) phenomenal sleeper who has never once tried climbing out of a cot and actually asks to go in it! She has had a single bed in her room for months and I think, if I'm honest, she is probably ready... but I'm not. I'm worried it will rock the boat! :ROFLMAO: But yeah, I am probably being selfish but also of the view that if it ain't broke, don't fix it?! Though I know she will need to soon, as when we stay at my mums (which is about once a month) she has to sleep in a travel cot and she's getting too big for it - though obviously her actual cot is roomier and she's not outgrown it yet (it's not a cotbed though, so sadly can't take the sides off)

Also, she's woken up this morning with a STONKER of a cold. Guessing it's not ideal to transition when ill anyway? Or am I making excuses :ROFLMAO:

ETA: Is anyone else just fed up with the relentless illness of toddlerhood? Every 3/4 weeks she's ill with a cold and it always seems to knock her for six.
Has she had her nasal flu vaccination yet? My daughter is getting hers on Wednesday and the nurse where I work said it helps them stop get a cold every month, mini A is the same. She gets cold after cold from nursery and then I get it too!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.