Toddler Advice Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Wophie my daughter is the same age as you and although I’m only 13 weeks my daughter is the same as yours. I think they defo have a sixth sense of pregnancy and all the changes that happen to us physically have more of an effect on them than we realise.
You probably have a bump now but it’s still such an abstract idea that a baby will be here soon, and toddlers aren’t capable of abstract thought. So all these changes are happening but they can’t really grasp why. That’s my hot take on it anyway 🤣 It’s all a phase with toddlers but my god it’s hard work!

My daughter isn’t the best eater, she eats little but often. She was sick last week with a stomach bug and barely ate anything but was still full of energy. Really don’t know where they get it from! If you’re worried you could try smaller meals throughout the day, and in the heat maybe fruit salad and yoghurt for dinner?

If you think her napping again is going to be better for her and for you then go for it. My partner is the same, he can come across as really unempathetic. Sometimes I think they can’t fathom a new baby until it’s here either, even though they’ve already done it. So we’re basically working against two toddlers 🤣
You're probably spot on about the pregnancy thing - she's not been interested for ages but may be able to sense baby will be here soon.

My problem with her eating is she's asking for something and not eating it, and literally telling me she will get to eat something else later. Example being yesterday I gave her sandwich with Meridian chocolate nut spread in (not the healthiest I know, but better than Nutella. She won't eat cheese, ham etc so sandwiches are hard). She ate the lot and loved it. Today I've put it in front of her and she's said she doesn't like it. But she is asking for more berries... or (and I quote) "something else". She knows I'm weak and get upset if she doesn't eat so after 2 hour of her ignoring her food I'll often cave and give her something as I worry about her not eating.

Spot on again with the husband - I wasn't going to include the part about him but realised the toddler thread is probably as relevant as any 😂

I agree with this. Have you mentioned she’s gonna Have a brother or sister. She might be acting out

also agree on the small meals. Has she always been like this or just recently. Could be the weather. When it’s hot I don’t feel like eating. I agree on little and often. What about a picnic tea or something she can get involved in
Picnic tea is a great idea. She's never been a bit eater. She loads up at breakfast and then eats like a sparrow all day. I've tried giving her a smaller breakfast but she is begging for more food an hour later.

We are also going through the ‘needs a nap but doesn’t go to bed phase’ about 3 o’clock, he’s just awful. He also isn’t going to sleep until really late because he doesn’t have a dummy or bed time milk anymore and he messes around. He’s also not a great eater. Breakfast is his go to meal. Actually, yesterday, when he got home from preschool, he had weetabix for lunch and cereal for dinner. To be honest, I took that as it was easier than fighting with him!
It sounds like we have extremely similar children in terms of sleep and food - I'm sorry! 😅

Yes I've done that a few times when I don't want the battle. Porridge for dinner one night last week.

My toddler could eat Cheerios for breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday if he could. When I ask him what he wants to eat he’s just like ‘CEREAL’ And legs it to the Cheerios 😅
Mine seems to be crumpets 😂 she's definitely had days where she's had a crumpet at every meal

Reactions: 3
@Wophie if there’s anything toddlers can do well is sniff out our weaknesses 🤣 they are savages!

Same as my daughter, she won’t eat meat, cheese, vegetables, pasta or sandwiches. She very often doesn’t have dinner as I serve one meal for all of us, but I always serve a dessert so she doesn’t go to bed hungry. I often serve picnic lunch as I cba to deal with the total refusal but I don’t offer anymore of one thing if she’s not cleared the plate.

You aren’t going to be able to force her to eat but if you take away the pressure to eat she should go back to eating well. If she doesn’t eat what she chooses say that’s fine you can eat later. If she’s winding you up with I’ll eat “berries” later take the power away, say yea you will. That will soon get boring for her. Try and be easy breezy while dying inside. I’ve been practicing it for 2 years and still struggle 😂
And if you can’t moan about your bloke on tattle where can you!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
It sounds like we have extremely similar children in terms of sleep and food - I'm sorry! 😅

Yes I've done that a few times when I don't want the battle. Porridge for dinner one night last week.
When is she 3?
We both had a meeting at work today, so didn’t get in til 5.30ish. McDonald’s for dinner. He didn’t touch it. Never does. Always a waste. He’s had a weetabix and other cereal for dinner. Again. It’s honestly too hot to fight 😂

Reactions: 1
I have loved the solid starts Insta for guidance on eating since my son was a baby but I need to take another look since he reached toddler hood and is doing the exact same thing with saying he doesn’t like something even though I know he does! Yesterday he wanted more blueberries but I had to hold firm with saying no as the result is 💩 explosions 😂

Hey everyone this is the lowest part and very top of my daughter's bottom. The doctors call it a double crack (wtf does that mean??) Anyway she been getting very annoyed at it scratches it. We clean it everytime we change her.
Anyone had this on their child?
20220716_095443.jpg

• Sad
Oh bless her. I’m not sure what you could do for that. How come it annoys her ?
I'm not sure she keeps scratching. Thought it was the nappies but she been in the same ones for some time. We use the cream to help out only in the morning and night. No allergy to it. It's just don't know what else to do. She has her nappy off for about an hour a day also (have the pet and kid training sheets all down stairs has she nit ready for the potty)

I'm not sure she keeps scratching. Thought it was the nappies but she been in the same ones for some time. We use the cream to help out only in the morning and night. No allergy to it. It's just don't know what else to do. She has her nappy off for about an hour a day also (have the pet and kid training sheets all down stairs has she nit ready for the potty)
It might just be a sweat rash, or very similar to nappy rash? Have you tried slathering on bepanthen at every change? Or try talc to keep it a bit drier?

My toddler decided the perfect time to say ‘oh my GODDD’ for the first time was in front of our HV at his 2.5 check last week 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
My little one just had his first night terror. I feel like ive been battered. He was kicking , screaming like I’ve never heard, thrashing, grabbing , smacking it was horrible 😭😭😭

• Sad
Hey everyone this is the lowest part and very top of my daughter's bottom. The doctors call it a double crack (wtf does that mean??) Anyway she been getting very annoyed at it scratches it. We clean it everytime we change her.
Anyone had this on their child?
get the La Roche posay thermal spring water ( it’s a spray- a fine mist ) it is fantastic, it will soothe the area, you’ll never look back . Also good for skin irritation, nappy rashes, cleanse babies faces , sun burn etc .

My toddler decided the perfect time to say ‘oh my GODDD’ for the first time was in front of our HV at his 2.5 check last week 😂
I love this! 😂
My 18 month old says 'oh god' and 'good god' constantly. I love when he says it around my prudish MIL 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 5
The only good thing about this heat is my daughter being ready to potty train. We’re on day three of being bare bottom. We’ve had mostly success with wees on the potty, some accidents but definitely getting there. She’s able to recognise she needs a poo and when she starts then runs to the potty. I know they take longer.
My question is what’s a reasonable timeframe to move onto pants and going outside? I’m planning on staying home for the next two days as it’s so hot anyway. But obviously have to go back out into the world at some point. Any tips or tricks for the next stage?

Anyone else’s toddler not wanting to eat in this heat? He had half his normal breakfast and refused lunch. Has had plenty of fluids though.
Has also had high temp at night, Saturday night he was poorly and had temp of 40. Last night 38.5. He was pretty much himself in the day yesterday but todays been mixed.

Anyone else’s toddler not wanting to eat in this heat? He had half his normal breakfast and refused lunch. Has had plenty of fluids though.
Has also had high temp at night, Saturday night he was poorly and had temp of 40. Last night 38.5. He was pretty much himself in the day yesterday but todays been mixed.
My 4yo has hardly eaten anything either my 1yo is the same too.

If he has a temp, I'd say that's probably contributing. Can you give him some calpol to bring it down?

Omg yes he’s refusing most foods apart from
Snacks. Just made him a pizza he didn’t want it. He didn’t eat breakfast either but ate lunch. I don’t mind tho as I don’t have a lot of appetite in the heat either

Glad to know mines not the only one refusing food.
I did try calpol yesterday but he vomited when I put in his mouth. It put me off giving it a bit, will try again when he’s up from a nap.

Glad to know mines not the only one refusing food.
I did try calpol yesterday but he vomited when I put in his mouth. It put me off giving it a bit, will try again when he’s up from a nap.
Mine had one tiny bit of pizza and then went outside. For his lunch he had two grapes , a strawberry, quavers , dairy Lea dunkers which he left half of and a jammy dodger.
And for breakfast (@ 11am) he had a teeny tiny yoghurt 😂😂

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.