To COVID vaccine, or not to vaccine? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I also turned down cervical screening. My reasonings being:
They now only test for HPV initially (and if you test positive they will investigate further) - I use at home HPV tests

I'm low risk of getting HPV, if not impossible. I've only had one partner, and same for him.

I had the HPV jabs before I became sexually active

https://rcni.com/cancer-nursing-pra...ome-hpv-testing-trial-being-rolled-out-172796 (paywall)
You might find this relevant then re home tests! Seems like they are on the near horizon.
They are already available. I bought a HPV testing kit from Superdrug. :)

Reactions: 3
Apologies if this has been covered in the thread but it have skimmed through but can’t see it.

I’m 32 and would be interested in the vaccine. I’m a itu nurse so I’ve had quite a bit of exposure and will probably continued to do so. I was going to wait until the winter as I am currently pregnant. I thought I’d be safe as the government guidelines were to shield after 28 weeks(or not have patient facing roles).These guidelines have now changed and I will work with Covid patients until my maternity leave. So work have told me to get the vaccine. I know the green light was given for pregnant women a couple of weeks ago, but I just can’t find much info about it?? Anyone have any views etc? I just want to keep my baby as safe as possible
That's a very personal decision that only you can make.
We know that covid can be harmful in pregnancy, but they have only just started vaccinating pregnant ladies so the jury is out on that.
It's a pretty poor attitude though from your workplace because they're essentially leaving you no choice.
- don't get jabbed and risk covid,
- get jabbed and risk the unknown

You'd think that as when you're out for a drink in a pub and dare to venture to another table that security or staff threaten you with being chucked out, so this must mean the covid is still super dangerous.
If its still that dangerous though why take shielding off the table in pregnancy and direct ladies to the vaccine, which as I've said they don't seem to know much about.

I wish you luck, I'd be the same as you and be so worried about my baby. Its an awful decision to make 😕

• Sad
Reactions: 5
That's a very personal decision that only you can make.
We know that covid can be harmful in pregnancy, but they have only just started vaccinating pregnant ladies so the jury is out on that.
It's a pretty poor attitude though from your workplace because they're essentially leaving you no choice.
- don't get jabbed and risk covid,
- get jabbed and risk the unknown

You'd think that as when you're out for a drink in a pub and dare to venture to another table that security or staff threaten you with being chucked out, so this must mean the covid is still super dangerous.
If its still that dangerous though why take shielding off the table in pregnancy and direct ladies to the vaccine, which as I've said they don't seem to know much about.

I wish you luck, I'd be the same as you and be so worried about my baby. Its an awful decision to make 😕
That's a good question ! why are health trusts forcing pregnant women into dangerous healthcare settings when they know the risk . I thought it was all about protecting the vulnerable .

• Sad
Reactions: 10
That's a good question ! why are health trusts forcing pregnant women into dangerous healthcare settings when they know the risk . I thought it was all about protecting the vulnerable .
I think its clear why, but this might be the wrong thread for that conversation 🙈

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Hi, GP’s only have AZ as the Pfizer needs to be stored differently and surgeries don’t have the facilities for that. SSE is AZ and so are pharmacies. RVH is Pfizer, my dad had his first dose there last month. But depending on your age you may not get the option to book for the Royal. If you’re under 50 you’ll only be given the option for the SSE or possibly a pharmacy.
I am under 50 but the RVH has come up as an option on the booking site so I’ve booked in for next week 😃

Reactions: 1
I am under 50 but the RVH has come up as an option on the booking site so I’ve booked in for next week 😃
Are you having it for work? as the statistics show that under 50’s (without long term health issues) have an extremely low chance of getting sick from covid.

Are you having it for work? as the statistics show that under 50’s (without long term health issues) have an extremely low chance of getting sick from covid.
No I work from home ...but I want the vaccine for me. I like to travel, a lot and I don’t want anything standing in the way of that.

Reactions: 8
Unless I’ve missed something, I’m not sure why this is a question you would ask?! You may be against the vaccine as is your right but why are you questioning people that choose to have it?

Reactions: 15
Basically on the balance of risk: "false positives" are not uncommon, and having a cervical biopsy or LLETZ treatment can increase the risk of problems when having children. Most "abnormal cells" won't become cancerous, they are followed up on because we don't know which ones will. And I feel there's undue pressure to have screening because GPs get paid for meeting targets, I've been with practices which straight up lied about "not being able to be remove me from the register." If/when home tests become available, I'd be more receptive to that than going to a GP for it
Dr Margaret McCartney's literature was really informative when it came for me to make my own choice about screening.

Reactions: 2
That graph is for people with high exposure I.e. People working on red (covid) wards. It says it at the top but the website have cropped the explanation 🙄. The risk for people with low exposure I.e. general public is much lower.

When that graph was originally publicised there were 3 versions, high, medium and low exposure.
Screenshot_20210504-075701_Drive.jpg

Edited to add screenshot from gov.uk from the original slides published

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
That graph is for people with high exposure I.e. People working on red (covid) wards. It says it at the top but the website have cropped the explanation 🙄. The risk for people with low exposure I.e. general public is much lower.

When that graph was originally publicised there were 3 versions, high, medium and low exposure.
View attachment 558501
Edited to add screenshot from gov.uk from the original slides published
Interesting! Shame they weren’t clear in the article. Though it’s not actually an identical graphic to the one you have shared. I assume based on a different data set or dates? Ah well.

I feel confident in my decision to get the vaccine, For me the benefits far outweighs the risk.

Last edited:
Interesting! Shame they weren’t clear in the article. Though it’s not actually an identical graphic to the one you have shared. I assume based on a different data set or dates? Ah well.

I feel confident in my decision to get the vaccine, For me the benefits far outweighs the risk.
Yeh I noticed after I posted the figures were slightly different

Took mine for gov.uk and they are the slides JVT shared at the conference the other week

I agree the benefits outweigh the risk for me

Yeh I noticed after I posted the figures were slightly different

Took mine for gov.uk and they are the slides JVT shared at the conference the other week

I agree the benefits outweigh the risk for me
God the amount of graphs I have looked at since last March! They blend together. I will be glad to not think about statistics and data for a while when this is all over. (I did a ‘useless’ humanities degree for a reason 😅)

I think that’s what’s important if it benefits yourself as it’s your risk! I don’t see the need to look down on others if they don’t feel the same.

Reactions: 10
Unless I’ve missed something, I’m not sure why this is a question you would ask?! You may be against the vaccine as is your right but why are you questioning people that choose to have it?
I noticed a few people have done this around Tattle and it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable personally.

While I don't mind discussing my intent to get the vaccine when it is available to me, it really does feel like a way to have other people doubt their own choices

Reactions: 6
I was asking a question to another poster, and I did say that they didn’t have to answer me.
Your post makes it sound like I was asking everyone!! And just because I’m not having it is neither here nor there, as my own family have had it!!

I noticed a few people have done this around Tattle and it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable personally.

While I don't mind discussing my intent to get the vaccine when it is available to me, it really does feel like a way to have other people doubt their own choices
Last time I looked, we could still ask questions!! And I also said that the OP didn’t have to answer me!! It was all very innocent!!

This is the latest risk v benefits of the AZ vaccine View attachment 558665
Where did you get this from? 😘

Last edited:
Reactions: 1

I agree, it does the same to me when someone is worried about getting the jab and others say "I was fine, just get your jab"

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.