To COVID vaccine, or not to vaccine? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Children with asymptomatic and symptomatic Covid-19 are experiencing long term effects. There is ongoing research into this.

That might be so, but the issue is that 16yr olds and under, will be able to have the vaccine without parental consent, which is awful!!
As I previously said, 16 is too young to buy alcohol and cigarettes, too young to get into a nightclub or pub, but they can get an experimental vaccine with no long term data as to how it could affect you, just seems wrong.

Reactions: 2
The problem with your opinion, makes you sound like an Antivaxxer. Sorry.
I'm not an anti vaxxer and I wouldn't be up for giving my child the endless jabs they're proposing .

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
That might be so, but the issue is that 16yr olds and under, will be able to have the vaccine without parental consent, which is awful!!
As I previously said, 16 is too young to buy alcohol and cigarettes, too young to get into a nightclub or pub, but they can get an experimental vaccine with no long term data as to how it could affect you, just seems wrong.
It says if they are deemed to “have enough intelligence, competence and understanding to fully appreciate what's involved in their treatment.” The way I am reading it is, it may not be the case for every child under 16.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I'd be interested to know what that would be, saying as everyone has a different reaction so how could they tell them what's involved . I think it's a hard enough decision for an adult let alone putting it on a child's shoulders .

• Heart
Reactions: 4
It says if they are deemed to “have enough intelligence, competence and understanding to fully appreciate what's involved in their treatment.” The way I am reading it is, it may not be the case for every child under 16.
I would agree plus there is a problem, some children might not be able to have the vaccine for some medical reason so some children will not be allowed to consent.

I would agree plus there is a problem, some children might not be able to have the vaccine for some medical reason so some children will not be allowed to consent.
I think it’s wrong to exclude the parents, as these 16 year olds are still children in the eyes of the law.

Reactions: 1
I'd be interested to know what that would be, saying as everyone has a different reaction so how could they tell them what's involved . I think it's a hard enough decision for an adult let alone putting it on a child's shoulders .
I think this is why it says depending on their intelligence, competence and understanding. It does say “otherwise, someone with parental responsibility can consent for them.” I don’t know how they measure intelligence/competence/understanding and whether they have professionals doing this.

Yes and that is where the part of “someone with parental responsibility can consent for them” comes in.

Yes exactly! not every child will know their medical history either ..,vaccines will be an ongoing thing for a long time yet

Currently many adults feel forced/pressured into getting the vaccine by society, imagine an unsure teenager/child and the peer pressure

• Heart
Reactions: 8

I wasn’t talking about the article. I’ve seen your previous comments regarding the vaccine/not trusting it/not going to have it.
I fail to see how my previous posts have anything to do with this story, as even if I wanted the vaccine, I still think children of 16 are too young to have it, and going behind parents backs is disrespectful and totally unacceptable.

Reactions: 3
I think this is why it says depending on their intelligence, competence and understanding. It does say “otherwise, someone with parental responsibility can consent for them.” I don’t know how they measure intelligence/competence/understanding and whether they have professionals doing this.

Yes and that is where the part of “someone with parental responsibility can consent for them” comes in.
Yes how can they measure how mature a child is in regards understanding their health and welfare just by their school work/ looking at them, there would have to be some kind of psychological study beforehand and that would involve parental consent.

• Heart
I fail to see how my previous posts have anything to do with this story, as even if I wanted the vaccine, I still think children of 16 are too young to have it, and going behind parents backs is disrespectful and totally unacceptable.
I’ve since deleted as I did not want to derail the thread nor to cause any aggro. Not all parents/carers will think or feel this way but I imagine if a child was to get the vaccine, the parents/carers would know about it.

Yes how can they measure how mature a child is in regards understanding their health and welfare just by their school work/ looking at them, there would have to be some kind of psychological study beforehand and that would involve parental consent.
I would think there would be a professional present, either a psychologist or someone with relevant training. However, measuring intelligence/competence/understanding is a very subjective thing.

Thanks for linking the article, but it won’t change my mind. I think we can all respectfully disagree on this!!
You’re welcome, I did not link it with the intention of changing anyone’s minds. It just has a much more detailed explanation of consent in under 18’s.

Reactions: 4
I’ve since deleted as I did not want to derail the thread nor to cause any aggro. Not all parents/carers will think or feel this way but I imagine if a child was to get the vaccine, the parents/carers would know about it.
No problem, we can respectfully disagree and move on from this discussion. Thanks for the article you linked.

“If you were under 30 years old on 30 March 2021, you will not be offered appointments for the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine.”

Does that mean 29 and below only or does it also include people who were 30? 🧐

Pretty much 99% resolved to the vaccine by this stage. Mostly because my cousin has just got a lovely new job abroad and says I can visit him when the restrictions lift, oh dear ...

"False positives" are pretty common and biopsies/LLETZ carry the risk of problems with childbirth which to me outweighs the risk of cervical cancer. Most "cell changes" don't become cancerous, they are monitored because we don't know which ones will. And I feel that several GP practices have been dishonest with me over screening so they could meet targets. I'd be more open to home testing though
sorry to derail as its the covid thread!
I asked the practice nurse when I was having my smear why they had raised the age for smear tests (as when i was young you were called as soon as you were sexually active). this was around the time of jade goody death.
She said it was because up to 25 your body is still going through changes and these were being identified as abnormal cell changes when they were mainly harmless changes and people were having laser treatment which can lead to problems when carrying a baby.

“If you were under 30 years old on 30 March 2021, you will not be offered appointments for the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine.”

Does that mean 29 and below only or does it also include people who were 30. 🧐
I think it includes 30 and above will be offered it not 💯 on that.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.