Thyroid

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah it was, I’m on medication and was told about there being a different type of medication that would be given during pregnancy with thyroid problems. Oh really! My Drs have never actually told me what the cause of having it is
Yes , if it’s graves for example that usually goes away in pregnancy as do many autoimmune conditions , the medication they give isn’t readily available as it can damage the liver so they keep a good eye on people it’s usually only given in the first trimester anyway, surprised they haven’t told you what conditions causing it, hopefully you’ll settle down soon and be able to start your family 🤞🏻

My medicine is starting to work! 🙌🏻 I don’t fall asleep at 7 anymore or feel cold all the time! My doctor also said my numbers are looking much better but I’m still not at normal yet. Feels like a relief that it’s working though. Honestly with the symptoms I was having I was really worried it might be something more difficult to treat!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Yes , if it’s graves for example that usually goes away in pregnancy as do many autoimmune conditions , the medication they give isn’t readily available as it can damage the liver so they keep a good eye on people it’s usually only given in the first trimester anyway, surprised they haven’t told you what conditions causing it, hopefully you’ll settle down soon and be able to start your family 🤞🏻

Ah okay!! That’s good to know thank you. When I got diagnosed the first time, I had Graves. But medication treated it and it went away. Be interesting to know if I have Graves this time around too. That’s very insightful, thank you!

Reactions: 1
Ah okay!! That’s good to know thank you. When I got diagnosed the first time, I had Graves. But medication treated it and it went away. Be interesting to know if I have Graves this time around too. That’s very insightful, thank you!
It probably will be a Graves flare up. Whilst it can go into remission, it never truly goes away once you have it as it's autoimmune.

Reactions: 2
Yes it's probably still the same condition they would call it a relapse ,they say you're in remission when it goes away . Good luck !

Having a hemithyroidectomy on the 7th April and I’ve never been had an operation/been to hospital as an inpatient before 🥺 can anyone advise on what I should take? im thinking it might be good getting some button up pyjamas/shirts but I don’t want to waste money if that’s unecessary, but I’m worried it’ll hurt to lift tops over my head. Anything else I should think about taking?

Reactions: 4
Having a hemithyroidectomy on the 7th April and I’ve never been had an operation/been to hospital as an inpatient before 🥺 can anyone advise on what I should take? im thinking it might be good getting some button up pyjamas/shirts but I don’t want to waste money if that’s unecessary, but I’m worried it’ll hurt to lift tops over my head. Anything else I should think about taking?
My MIL had this done and she was fine apart from being hoarse from the general anaesthetic the wound didn’t bother her too much .

I’ve had this done. It was 8 years ago so I can’t remember what I wore sorry, but I wasn’t in too much pain and I was out the next day and only took paracetamol while in the hospital. I remember I only ate a soft foods for a few days afterwards though as I was worried swallowing would hurt! I had my staples removed after two days and I would say after they were out, I was fine. I went back to work two weeks later too

Hiya, I had a hemithyroidectomy in 2016. It probably will hurt a bit to move your neck, and you'll be a bit stiff, so some button up style tops could be useful.

I'd also take something warm, so a dressing gown perhaps. I know hospitals are usually warm but I found I was quite cold at points during the night.

Other stuff would be mp3 player and a book. You may be waiting around a while both before and after the op.

Depending on which side you're having out, as daft as it might sound, I'd suggest one of those soft seatbelt things or a fleece to wrap around it because a seatbelt resting against your incision (even with a dressing on) isn't pleasant.

I'd also get some dry shampoo because you can't get the incision wet for a while. I vaguely remember wrapping my neck in clingfilm, leaning very uncomfortably over the bath so someone could wash my hair. Amusing but not fun!

I had some voice issues afterwards so be prepared that things could be a bit different with your voice. It gets better though!

Happy to help with anything else you might want to know although of course your experience could be totally different to mine and I hope nothing I've said worries you.

Reactions: 3
Hiya, I had a hemithyroidectomy in 2016. It probably will hurt a bit to move your neck, and you'll be a bit stiff, so some button up style tops could be useful.

I'd also take something warm, so a dressing gown perhaps. I know hospitals are usually warm but I found I was quite cold at points during the night.

Other stuff would be mp3 player and a book. You may be waiting around a while both before and after the op.

Depending on which side you're having out, as daft as it might sound, I'd suggest one of those soft seatbelt things or a fleece to wrap around it because a seatbelt resting against your incision (even with a dressing on) isn't pleasant.

I'd also get some dry shampoo because you can't get the incision wet for a while. I vaguely remember wrapping my neck in clingfilm, leaning very uncomfortably over the bath so someone could wash my hair. Amusing but not fun!

I had some voice issues afterwards so be prepared that things could be a bit different with your voice. It gets better though!

Happy to help with anything else you might want to know although of course your experience could be totally different to mine and I hope nothing I've said worries you.
That’s all really helpful, thanks! If you don’t mind me asking, Did you have stitches or staples?

That’s all really helpful, thanks! If you don’t mind me asking, Did you have stitches or staples?
Do you know, I'm not entirely sure, sorry. Internal stitches with external staples rings a bell but I don't remember having to go and have anything taken out so maybe it was all stitches. Sorry, that's not very helpful is it.

Hey,
Hope all goes well for tomorrow, I had a right side hemithyroidectomy in 2018 and honestly, the thought of it was worse than the actual op. I had internal stitches and glue to the outside of the wound, you would never even guess now that it had been done.
wide neck very stretchy tops for a week or two, and a lovely comfy pillow to help you sleep a bit more comfortably afterwards, they do advise you to sleep on a slight incline post op. Not much pain post op either, which surprised me.
Take a lovely warm blanket with you as I was freezing afterwards.

lots of love x

• Heart
Hey,
Hope all goes well for tomorrow, I had a right side hemithyroidectomy in 2018 and honestly, the thought of it was worse than the actual op. I had internal stitches and glue to the outside of the wound, you would never even guess now that it had been done.
wide neck very stretchy tops for a week or two, and a lovely comfy pillow to help you sleep a bit more comfortably afterwards, they do advise you to sleep on a slight incline post op. Not much pain post op either, which surprised me.
Take a lovely warm blanket with you as I was freezing afterwards.

lots of love x
Thank you for the advice! It wasn’t too bad, not the most pleasant thing and the drain is uncomfortable to sleep with but bearable! I feel like I’ve got phlegm but I don’t think I have, but when I cough it sounds really weird ☹ But I can speak, although it’s like I’ve just lost my voice and a sore throat you get with a cold

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Thank you for the advice! It wasn’t too bad, not the most pleasant thing and the drain is uncomfortable to sleep with but bearable! I feel like I’ve got phlegm but I don’t think I have, but when I cough it sounds really weird ☹ But I can speak, although it’s like I’ve just lost my voice and a sore throat you get with a cold
I bet the drain is uncomfortable, I didn’t have one but I’ve seen plenty who have. Your voice will be weak for a while, but it will soon come back and get stronger again. I’ve lost the high pitch in my voice since the op, if I try to scream it’s silent.
Lots of rest and tlc over the next few weeks will help, I had a few visitors after mine but could barely talk so they soon left 😂.

Hope you feel better soon 💞

• Heart
Reactions: 5

I just read your post now and I recognise you from the health anxiety (which I suffer badly from myself) thread (and Demi's one 😂) hope your op goes well today and all the best to you in recovery 💜

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I just read your post now and I recognise you from the health anxiety (which I suffer badly from myself) thread (and Demi's one 😂) hope your op goes well today and all the best to you in recovery 💜
Thankyou! It actually ended up being yesterday, no idea why I was told the 7th on the phone haha it was okay, not the best thing that’s ever happened to me but not the worst either x

• Heart
Thankyou! It actually ended up being yesterday, no idea why I was told the 7th on the phone haha it was okay, not the best thing that’s ever happened to me but not the worst either x

Awh bless, I only realised after I sent the message and read the thread lol! 🤪😂 anyway put your feet up and have a speedy recovery pet💜💜

• Heart
Feeling a lot better after sleeping in my own bed ☺ Also my voice is coming back, not sure my bf is too happy about that bit though 🤪

Mine have been all over the place for years from the highest end of the scale I'm now right under, my last readings were T4=14.6 TSH 5.53 apparently it's been a big drop from my usual readings ( I'm hyperthyroid) have to get bloods done every 6 weeks until they decide what to do .I dropped after my covid vaccine they're waiting to see if it comes up again so I'll have to stick the cold for longer 😂

It's rare how much the thyroid can affect you. I never even gave it a second thought before it went wonky 😂 there's so many symptoms from it from diarrhea to shakes and everything in between .Hope you get it sorted soon it's such a horrible feeling .
Mine has been swinging for the last year. Am also having bloods done every six weeks and would be interested to know what they decide to do with you. I just feel it's endless blood tests but no action. I hope you get the right treatment and can enjoy the summer.

• Heart
Mine has been swinging for the last year. Am also having bloods done every six weeks and would be interested to know what they decide to do with you. I just feel it's endless blood tests but no action. I hope you get the right treatment and can enjoy the summer.
Yeah,I'm assuming it's levothyroxine if it doesn't come back up ,hope they offer you something soon is yours going up and down or too low ?