Thyroid

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was quite young - I think I was 18 but it could have been when I was 16 as well.
I have always struggled gaining weight but even though I was eating in excess of 2000 cals a day, I was losing weight and as any parent would, my mum was worried and booked a blood test which showed my thyroid levels were out of whack. I also had a sensitivity to heat at the time and couldn't sleep in even a warm room as I felt like I was burning. Sometimes would feel very fatigued and weak but other than nothing. I was on some tablets for the better half a year and got retested and they had levelled out.

The sensitivity to heat has come back recently though but I'm not losing weight as I was before (not gaining either). I think I will need to book a blood test soon. Better safe than sorry. It does worry me that it has come back as I still cant wrap my head around what it is lol.
What you’re describing is hyperthyroidism, often linked to Graves Disease. Out of the two conditions, hyperthyroidism is more worrisome and I urge you to please get checked out ASAP. My husband unfortunately had this which resulted in more robust proactive intervention meaning he is now suffering with hypothyroidism. Please keep us updated xx

Reactions: 3
I had my bloods done yesterday and my GP’s have just rang to arrange a telephone appointment this afternoon to discuss the results. Nervous now 😖

• Heart
Reactions: 4
What you’re describing is hyperthyroidism, often linked to Graves Disease. Out of the two conditions, hyperthyroidism is more worrisome and I urge you to please get checked out ASAP. My husband unfortunately had this which resulted in more robust proactive intervention meaning he is now suffering with hypothyroidism. Please keep us updated xx
Sorry yes! I meant Hyperthyroidism. Your message has spurred me on to actually make an appt! Hope everything will be okay x

I had my bloods done yesterday and my GP’s have just rang to arrange a telephone appointment this afternoon to discuss the results. Nervous now 😖
Hope everything went well x

I have hypothyroidism.....and I am coeliac and I have had both of these for years, I take levothyroxine daily.

The hypothyroidism /coeliac disease may be connected? There is a lot of anecdotal evidence...but this is one of my biggest issues around these conditions...so little is actually known or researched properly that it is hard to be confident what is and what isnt connected!

My current issues, even though I am on what the doctor says is the correct dose of levothyroxine....is that I am still tired....and have nothing in reserve for days when I am extra busy, So if I have a busy day....it can take a week to recover properly, and stop the feeling of sheer exhaustion! so I have to plan my life around working part time and getting enough sleep and rest! And i find it ridiculously difficult to lose weight, and I suffer from low mood...especially at the moment!

I also think my coeliac disease was undiagnosed for years...........despite years of being told whilst pregnant etc that my iron levels were way too low... and a history of irritable bowel symptoms from my teens! .my teeth are also awful maybe a family history of low calcium levels hasnt helped with this!

The trouble is most of these are symptoms that could be such a wide variety of different causes..........I just wish there was better knowledge and research into how they all link, and whether they could be better balanced, with more comprehensive blood tests?

And being coeliac......food intolerances do link massively into things, but there is also a lot of rubbish written as well!!
For me, and for a lot of coeliacs, wheat proteins interferes with the absorbtion of vital minerals into my gut and then into my blood stream, things like iron, and probably things like B vitamins....so my lifetime borderline anemia.....kinda fits.... and anemia in its turn also explains tiredness.......but....has never been acknowledged or treated by my doctor!

I have hypothyroidism.....and I am coeliac and I have had both of these for years, I take levothyroxine daily.

The hypothyroidism /coeliac disease may be connected? There is a lot of anecdotal evidence...but this is one of my biggest issues around these conditions...so little is actually known or researched properly that it is hard to be confident what is and what isnt connected!

My current issues, even though I am on what the doctor says is the correct dose of levothyroxine....is that I am still tired....and have nothing in reserve for days when I am extra busy, So if I have a busy day....it can take a week to recover properly, and stop the feeling of sheer exhaustion! so I have to plan my life around working part time and getting enough sleep and rest! And i find it ridiculously difficult to lose weight, and I suffer from low mood...especially at the moment!

I also think my coeliac disease was undiagnosed for years...........despite years of being told whilst pregnant etc that my iron levels were way too low... and a history of irritable bowel symptoms from my teens! .my teeth are also awful maybe a family history of low calcium levels hasnt helped with this!

The trouble is most of these are symptoms that could be such a wide variety of different causes..........I just wish there was better knowledge and research into how they all link, and whether they could be better balanced, with more comprehensive blood tests?

And being coeliac......food intolerances do link massively into things, but there is also a lot of rubbish written as well!!
For me, and for a lot of coeliacs, wheat proteins interferes with the absorbtion of vital minerals into my gut and then into my blood stream, things like iron, and probably things like B vitamins....so my lifetime borderline anemia.....kinda fits.... and anemia in its turn also explains tiredness.......but....has never been acknowledged or treated by my doctor!
It could be that your low in folate or iron. I experienced similar and though not Celiac I do have digestive issues / absorption problems; a blood test determined I was severely low in folate and iron so had to have a transfusion and am now taking folate and iron supplements. They’ll retest in six months but i do feel a lot better. I’d definitely recommend getting your levels checked :) good lucj

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism five years ago. Prescribed neomercazole and beta blockers. Also discovered I have an afib heartbeat so am on blood thinner for life. Went between hyper and hypo until this time last yr when the docs seem to have got the dosage right. Have had stable levels since that so they have gradually reduced neomercazole but I get blood tests every three months to check. My vitamin levels were all over place so am also on vitamin d and iron. Thyroid problems are 💩

I'm glad I have found this thread. I had a meeting with Occ Health at work who suggested I get my thyroid checked. I'm often anxious and depressed, i struggle with sleep, often getting only a couple of hours a night. Although im not massively overweight, I do struggle. A few years ago I lost about 40 pounds and the only way I could do that was a very very low ca dietl(ie well under 1000 cals) and extreme exercise. It was awful and of course I gained a load back when I tried to eat more. My heart rate can be very high at times and I go from feeling manic to extremely tired. I also have sharp painful tingling in my fingertips whenever its cold and massive stomach issues.

Reactions: 1
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at 19, my Mum and my Grandad also had thyroid issues. My main symptoms were tiredness, weight gain and thinning hair, and was prescribed thyroxine. I never managed to loose the weight so if anyone has any tips for things that worked for them I would love to hear them.

When some of you say your hair textures changed, what do you mean exactly? Because ever since April this year my previously wavy/curly hair for 26 years has started going straight? Some of the little hairs near my neck are still curly, but it doesn’t hold styling as well any more 🥺 this is my only symptom, so not sure it is a thyroid thing or not, but when I google it thyroid problems do come up as a cause…

I have Hashimoto's, I've been on medication half my life 😂 Pretty used to the whole thing by now. I have hypothyroidism as a result which means all kinds of annoying stuff but I think I'm managing okay. I go to annual/biannual check-ups and get all the usual blood tests for it as well as the ultrasound imaging to check the thyroid gland and possible nodules.

Reactions: 2
When some of you say your hair textures changed, what do you mean exactly? Because ever since April this year my previously wavy/curly hair for 26 years has started going straight? Some of the little hairs near my neck are still curly, but it doesn’t hold styling as well any more 🥺 this is my only symptom, so not sure it is a thyroid thing or not, but when I google it thyroid problems do come up as a cause…
Personally for me - hair went from fairly normal dry texture to very very dry, it would feel almost a bit crisp sometimes. With medication it seems fine again now.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at 19, my Mum and my Grandad also had thyroid issues. My main symptoms were tiredness, weight gain and thinning hair, and was prescribed thyroxine. I never managed to loose the weight so if anyone has any tips for things that worked for them I would love to hear them.
Personally for me counting calories (around a 500 deficit) and exercise took a good deal of it off for me but everyone is so different. I've heard of others with thyroid issues who have to drop their calories quite low with little success. Doctors are very unsympathetic too, have found they often just say eat less and "start exercising" when you are already doing those things (translation - they don't believe you).

got diagnosed with hashimoto's at 14 after being originally tested for lupus! had every symptom and my thyroid hormones were so low that apparently a myxedema coma wasn't too far away if left unresolved. over 5 years later and i'm on 100mcg of levothyroxine as of about two months ago but i still feel like tit tbh. developed insomnia from swapping pain meds that just weren't right (was on circadin for a while when i was 16 but apparently not allowed now) and it hasn't got any better with the increase in levothyroxine which it usually would. hair has become a lot dryer but scalp oiler, and a sudden curl pattern below my ears when the top section no longer holds a curl. i haven't had an ultrasound since around 6 months after diagnosis despite requesting one when i had chronic hives in march 2020, suspecting myself that they were autoimmune related but at the height of the pandemic so i guess i'll never know. all the tit that comes with it (pcos etc) all have the same symptoms so makes them 10x worse but i guess that's what the free prescriptions are for!

• Heart
I've had thyroid issues for years now. I've had considerable issues with being hyperthyroid but they weren't really recognised at the time. The first flare up at 16 wasn't attributed to anything despite tests. In my twenties it was diagnosed as anxiety, despite me having severe heat intolerance and having dropped to under six stone in weight.
I developed changes to my voice in 2015/6 and scans revelled a dangerously enlarged thyroid that was deviating my windpipe.
I had a hemithroidectomy in late 2016.

Things have gone well until recently. The remaining half is now massive and keeps growing. I'm also borderline overactive again which I'm fairly sure shouldn't happen with only half left!

I'm struggling to breathe at night and it hurts my neck structures to swallow. I've been referred back to Endo which is fine except I thought they were referring me to ENT.

I really don't want to be in this situation. I don't want surgery and I don't want to be on more medication for life whilst being plagued with brain fog whist my levels adjust. It's also crap to not know what's causing the anxiety I'm experienced. Is it genuine or just a side effect?

Totally gutted to be here again and desperate hoping it doesn't get worse.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I was convinced I had hypothyroidism and had blood tests recently but I turned out to be very low in Vitamin D. They mimic a lot of the same symptoms as thyroid issues: exhaustion, depression, brain fog, hair loss etc. Solidarity to you all because I literally feel like a shell of my former self. Hormones really do affect so much!

Hi everyone, so due to some symptoms I’ve had a thyroid blood test (only TSH) and my result has come back as 2.5, which is in the ‘normal’ range. However, after doing some research I see that 2.5 TSH can be seen as bordering on hypothyroidism. Has anyone here had this level of TSH and it be a problem?

I feel over whelmed. I had bloods done as I’ve recently found I am pregnant, but my H4 levels are low. The GP tonight didn’t prescribe me any medication as he needed to liaise with another doctor on what’s the best thing to do as I am 7 weeks pregnant. Unsure if it the pregnancy or underlining problem which has just been highlighted.

I feel over whelmed. I had bloods done as I’ve recently found I am pregnant, but my H4 levels are low. The GP tonight didn’t prescribe me any medication as he needed to liaise with another doctor on what’s the best thing to do as I am 7 weeks pregnant. Unsure if it the pregnancy or underlining problem which has just been highlighted.
Probably pregnancy as they usually need to increase dosage. My level rose to 10 which is ridiculously under active, as I am currently pregnant which obviously worried me but the doctors just gave me another 25mcg on top of my usual 150mcg. My level before this was 3.7. They’ll also probably put you under a consultant at the hospital for your antenatal care.

I've had thyroid issues for years now. I've had considerable issues with being hyperthyroid but they weren't really recognised at the time. The first flare up at 16 wasn't attributed to anything despite tests. In my twenties it was diagnosed as anxiety, despite me having severe heat intolerance and having dropped to under six stone in weight.
I developed changes to my voice in 2015/6 and scans revelled a dangerously enlarged thyroid that was deviating my windpipe.
I had a hemithroidectomy in late 2016.

Things have gone well until recently. The remaining half is now massive and keeps growing. I'm also borderline overactive again which I'm fairly sure shouldn't happen with only half left!

I'm struggling to breathe at night and it hurts my neck structures to swallow. I've been referred back to Endo which is fine except I thought they were referring me to ENT.

I really don't want to be in this situation. I don't want surgery and I don't want to be on more medication for life whilst being plagued with brain fog whist my levels adjust. It's also crap to not know what's causing the anxiety I'm experienced. Is it genuine or just a side effect?

Totally gutted to be here again and desperate hoping it doesn't get worse.
Unfortunately it can grow again , your endocrinologist should be checking every 3 months and adjust your meds accordingly .It's a tit condition even though many think losing weight while eating like a horse is a great thing it's the other side effects that are scary x

• Heart
Hi everyone, so due to some symptoms I’ve had a thyroid blood test (only TSH) and my result has come back as 2.5, which is in the ‘normal’ range. However, after doing some research I see that 2.5 TSH can be seen as bordering on hypothyroidism. Has anyone here had this level of TSH and it be a problem?
2.5 sounds normal to me. I am medicated for hypothyroidism and my last tests had me at 5.0 TSH however doctor says this is acceptable if I am not getting any or many symptoms. He said only if I wanted to get pregnant they would look at trying to get it below 3.5 so 2.5 sounds pretty low to me.

• Heart