Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

lexle

anyone else get painful blocked tear ducts after thyroidectomy? it’s now happened twice, I had an eye test in September just before my thyroidectomy, and no concerns then, but should I go back now I’m on levo? It’s only one eye
My optician said my eyes are extremely dry and it’s down to my thyroid (had a partial thyroidectomy) and the medication. I now use some drops he recommended 3x a day

Reactions: 4

Meg78

VIP Member
So my blood results came back.
thyroid levels are fine.

I’m sat here crying in frustration as I was so sure it was my thyroid and that I was finally gonna get help for it!

So I’m supposed to just lose My hair in clumps, be freezing even in a warm environment, struggle to keep awake & feel low 24/7 for the rest of my life with no explanation.

ok ☹☹☹☹
I don’t know how much longer I can take feeling like this
The NHS reference ranges are crap, their “normal” is most definitely not normal!

ChampagneBox

VIP Member
Anyone had thyrogen injections for thyroid cancer treatment? Due my first dose tomorrow ahead of RAI on Thursday!

• Heart

Beth1980

VIP Member
Make sure you do! I tell everyone now to ask for blood test ranges and not take in range as ok ( or even everything is fine from the person you get results from over the phone) as you can just be in range but it doesn't mean it is optimal.

I've had thyroid issues for years now. I've had considerable issues with being hyperthyroid but they weren't really recognised at the time. The first flare up at 16 wasn't attributed to anything despite tests. In my twenties it was diagnosed as anxiety, despite me having severe heat intolerance and having dropped to under six stone in weight.
I developed changes to my voice in 2015/6 and scans revelled a dangerously enlarged thyroid that was deviating my windpipe.
I had a hemithroidectomy in late 2016.

Things have gone well until recently. The remaining half is now massive and keeps growing. I'm also borderline overactive again which I'm fairly sure shouldn't happen with only half left!

I'm struggling to breathe at night and it hurts my neck structures to swallow. I've been referred back to Endo which is fine except I thought they were referring me to ENT.

I really don't want to be in this situation. I don't want surgery and I don't want to be on more medication for life whilst being plagued with brain fog whist my levels adjust. It's also crap to not know what's causing the anxiety I'm experienced. Is it genuine or just a side effect?

Totally gutted to be here again and desperate hoping it doesn't get worse.

• Heart

knivesnflowers

VIP Member
im on 125mcg levothyroxine right now - at one point just before the pandemic i was between 50 and 75, so i had to take both doses on alternate days! due bloods next week but they're only measuring every three months which is new - i've gone up 50mcg since september.

• Wow
  • Heart

Bobbleowl90

VIP Member
I had my bloods done yesterday and my GP’s have just rang to arrange a telephone appointment this afternoon to discuss the results. Nervous now 😖

• Heart

ChampagneBox

VIP Member
Feeling a lot better after sleeping in my own bed ☺ Also my voice is coming back, not sure my bf is too happy about that bit though 🤪

Eye_roll_central

VIP Member
Iv was diagnosed with an under active thyroid about 3 years ago after my last pregnancy. Iv been on medication ever since and will be forever. Took a while to get the dosage right but have been on this current dosage for a while now and seems to be working.
My main symptoms before diagnosis was extreme fatigue, like not just tired, absolutely exhausted and with a newborn it was just horrendous! I also was extremely sensitive to the cold...my feet are still so cold all the time now it’s awful! I had dry skin, weight gain and also what I would describe as having “brain fog”. Constantly forgetting things and getting confused easily. I was 30 when I went for a routine blood test and that’s when it came back. My mum, auntie, nana all have it too so and it is hereditary. I am on the higher dosage compared to all my family though 🙄 but it’s working for the most part.
Diet wise I havnt changed anything but would be interested to hear from anyone that has more info on that!
Is it in your family?

Bidscavan

VIP Member
Do you mind me asking what damage it did to you heart and how that came to be diagnosed? I'm having some tests done currently and I'm wondering if the issues I'm having might be connected to a particular episode of hyperthyroidism I had about a decade ago.

Sorry if that's too personal a question, feel free not to answer obviously!
Ah I've no probs answering.
I had palpitations and hand tremorsand had lost weight and was feeling quite shit with sore stomach so went docs and he sent me a and e straight away. Got there and my blood pressure was through roof as was resting heart rate. Put on beta blockers straight away. Did numerous scans like ECG, heart echo, ultrsound, MRI, CT, XRAYS . Somewhere in the first couple of days it threw up that I had an afib heartbeat and one of the valves in my heart is always open. Got heartbeat lowered with beta blockers and also procoralan. They said the thyroid storm caused the irregular heartbeat and I will always have it and will always be on the tabs unless I want to go down the route of cardioversion. Doesn't affect me other than if I overexert myself I'll be more tired than I should be. As for the pain in my stomach god knows what that was😂 they were convinced I was an alcoholic though coz my liver was bad but that was related to thyroid too apparently.
Apologies for long answer x

• Heart

jazyblu

Chatty Member
I have hypothyroidism although minimal visible symptoms from it. It was discovered when running tests to figure out my cycle and the diagnosis surprised me really. I would say I am usually cold but I'm also thin and always put it down to that. I'm on levothyroxine now but to be honest I haven't noticed much change in my temperature, energy levels or anything else.

Padfoot

hey everyone I hope you're all doing well and are getting answers! I had this video pop up, which was a bit funny but might be helpful to some! (obviously everyone is different!)

• Heart
  • Haha

mcfeez

VIP Member
Hi ladies.

I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on how hard/easy it is to be diagnosed with an underactive thyroid? Especially as someone starting from an overweight BMI?

I recently came across a checklist for thyroid issues and I check a lot of the boxes - difficulty losing weight but easy weight gain, always tired no matter what I do, eat or take (as in supplements), low mood, constantly cold and always battling with dry skin. I always thought that this was just how my body worked (even my boyfriend says I'm just eternally sleepy) but my mum had an overactive thyroid when I was little and now I'm wondering if it may run in the family. How long did it take from your first appointments to diagnosis and being on tablets etc?

Would be grateful to hear from anyone :)

ETA: I also just read that teenagers can start puberty early if this is something they suffer with. I started my periods in primary school so really starting to wonder if I've always had this issue in peaks and troughs...
I was diagnosed around age 20. I had my bloods done and they came back borderline hypo however I was having symptoms so the doctor decided to initially just wait and do a repeat in 6 weeks. This also came back borderline hypo and so decided to medicate as I said before due to having symptoms (bad fatigue, dry skin and nails, unexplained weight gain...)

I was started on a low dose and then brought back in for testing every few months initially to ensure the right dose, with the dosage increasing slightly each time as they try to get the balance correct. At one point went slightly hyper with symptoms and so dose was brought back down again. It remained fairly steady then for a few years then the dose went up again around 3/4 years ago but has been pretty consistent since that.

Reactions: 3

crankypants13

VIP Member
Just came across this thread by accident and I’m delighted I did! I’ve got Hashimoto’s & under active thyroid since 2018.. Sometimes the biggest battle I find is getting people to recognise that it’s actually something that impacts you! My husband rolls his eyes every time I mention it 😩 The symptom flare ups can be overwhelming at times!

Milliemoo99

VIP Member
I would imagine that Thyroid levels, naturally would jump around, because its naturally linked to the adrenal glands and adrenalin. So Id also imagine that anyone taking thyroxine would also have similar issues!

Im sure that taking a regular dose day in and day out, doesnt necessarily take some things into account, eg if you have a late night, or a busier day than normal. then a flat dose of thryoxine doesnt take this into account. I know I cant afford to get too tired on my levothyroxine, cos it literally will take days to feel normal again.

unfinishedsentenc

VIP Member
Having a hemithyroidectomy on the 7th April and I’ve never been had an operation/been to hospital as an inpatient before 🥺 can anyone advise on what I should take? im thinking it might be good getting some button up pyjamas/shirts but I don’t want to waste money if that’s unecessary, but I’m worried it’ll hurt to lift tops over my head. Anything else I should think about taking?

I just read your post now and I recognise you from the health anxiety (which I suffer badly from myself) thread (and Demi's one 😂) hope your op goes well today and all the best to you in recovery 💜

• Heart

mcfeez

VIP Member
Hi everyone, so due to some symptoms I’ve had a thyroid blood test (only TSH) and my result has come back as 2.5, which is in the ‘normal’ range. However, after doing some research I see that 2.5 TSH can be seen as bordering on hypothyroidism. Has anyone here had this level of TSH and it be a problem?
2.5 sounds normal to me. I am medicated for hypothyroidism and my last tests had me at 5.0 TSH however doctor says this is acceptable if I am not getting any or many symptoms. He said only if I wanted to get pregnant they would look at trying to get it below 3.5 so 2.5 sounds pretty low to me.

• Heart

mcfeez

VIP Member
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism I think around 6/7 years ago. I was extremely tired all the time and it kept getting worse. I went from maintaining a very busy student schedule - studying, part time job, gym and going out with friends almost every day, to barely being able to do one of those things in a day.
I also gained quite a lot of weight despite my best efforts not to and despite no change in diet - I was even exercising more than usual in an effort to take it off (which was not easy given the exhaustion above). I developed depression too which the doctor said could be related. Very dry hair and skin.

I take a relatively low dose, 75mcg a day. It took a while to iron that out. I get tested quite regularly. I finally got a grasp on weight and managed to take a good lot of it off. My numbers are still not 100% but the doctor says he is content for the meantime as I'm having no symptoms. He said if/when I decide to try and get pregnant I'll need to up my dose.

FYI those food intolerance tests are not accurate - and even with a blood test that shows potential thyroid imbalance the doctor may want to repeat tests a few times before deciding to medicate you, if you do have thyroid issues.

• Sad

xbxbx

Chatty Member
Does anyone get any bother with sudden hair loss? I’ve always shed quite a bit due to hypo but over the last few weeks it’s been quite extreme and to the point where my scalp is now visible in places it wasn’t before (mainly temples and around ears). I’m talking losing handfuls in the shower and when brushing/combing. It happened around 2 years ago as well and I never found the real reason it happened but after spending a small fortune on hair loss products and supplements it seemed to eventually stop.

I don’t even know if it’s caused by my hypothyroidism but I cannot think of another reason why it’s happening. I do know that it happened around the same time of year last time as it was just before Love Island started lol. It just sucks because my hair has always been an insecurity for me. It’s fine, curly, prone to breakage and grows incredibly slowly. Now that it’s even thinner due to the hair loss it’s even more prone to frizz and breakage and I constantly look like I’ve put my finger in a plug socket🙄

My birthday is coming up soon and I’m aware how vain this sounds, but I feel like it’s put a total dampener on it as I’m going to be avoiding all pictures due to the current state of my hair. It’s a ‘big’ birthday too so I wanted to get memories to look back on but now I can’t think of anything worse.

I’ve been on levothyroxine for 15 years. My bloods are always somewhat ‘normal’ and tend to go between 75 micrograms and 100 micrograms depending on the results. It doesn’t make sense why this is happening.

• Sad
  • Heart