Thyroid

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes I struggle to get warm the only time I do is when the UK has a heat wave then I get heat intolerance. In winter I wear 2 layers of socks (one thick walking ones), a vest top, long sleeveed top and a thick jumper or fleece and I can be sat dressed like that with a hot water bottle, thick cover and fingerless gloves on and still freezing.

Reactions: 1
same for you too ❤ it's tit when there's a diagnosed reason for how you're feeling (thyroid) and they still explain it away with stress/weight/hormones as if it's not their job to still do something about those too! when first diagnosed i was sent to another trust and it was literally less than two weeks between bloods and appt - would love to know where that urgency has gone
---
double post but just remembered my lymphocytes were slightly high on my full blood count - 5.28 when upper limit is 4.00. surely this is the hashimoto's aspect of the hypo flaring too? will definitely be ringing now 🙃
update to this - rang tuesday and earliest phone call back was 10th november :oops: still took it though bc technically my bloods are in range so i doubt i'd get to speak to them in the meantime. got a text earlier asking me to make another appt, only thing on the system for the receptionist was my bloods so i'm hoping someone has joined the dots and has come up with an answer for me rather than having to convince them myself? fingers crossed

Fingers crossed @knivesnflowers that they have found something (in a nice way) and you get the correct treatment and feel better soon. I really need to get myself together and go back and ask for another increase but after the last doctor's reaction I don't have the fight yet.

• Heart
Fingers crossed @knivesnflowers that they have found something (in a nice way) and you get the correct treatment and feel better soon. I really need to get myself together and go back and ask for another increase but after the last doctor's reaction I don't have the fight yet.
just remember you're allowed a second opinion!!

Reactions: 3
Yes I struggle to get warm the only time I do is when the UK has a heat wave then I get heat intolerance. In winter I wear 2 layers of socks (one thick walking ones), a vest top, long sleeveed top and a thick jumper or fleece and I can be sat dressed like that with a hot water bottle, thick cover and fingerless gloves on and still freezing.
Oh my goodness, I feel like I could have written this myself.
I think I’m finally starting to realise I’m not completely crazy. 😬😬😬
I have an appointment Monday morning so will hopefully get a blood test done and some sort of reassurance.
at this point I actually want it to be a thyroid issue so I can treat it, cause otherwise I think il go crazy!

Reactions: 3
It is a relief to know it is not just ' in your head' so to speak and realise the enormous amount of symptoms it causes.
In the UK it is not really talked about as an illness and being medicated is seen just as a replacement so all is then ok. At the beginning of the year I joined a thyroid group on Facebook and just reading the posts lifted a weight as I realised I wasn't lazy, exaggerating everything etc.
Good luck for Monday.

Reactions: 2
Oh my goodness, I feel like I could have written this myself.
I think I’m finally starting to realise I’m not completely crazy. 😬😬😬
I have an appointment Monday morning so will hopefully get a blood test done and some sort of reassurance.
at this point I actually want it to be a thyroid issue so I can treat it, cause otherwise I think il go crazy!
The bone cold feeling is awful. Although my thyroid became overactive, there was a period of time after I'd given birth where my symptoms swung massively between hypo/hyper. I'd be so cold my nails and lips were blue and I'd be falling asleep sat up, in the middle of the day. I took my temperature once during an episode and I was into the hyperthermic range. It was a really horrible time so I hope you get some help with it.

Reactions: 4
The bone cold feeling is awful. Although my thyroid became overactive, there was a period of time after I'd given birth where my symptoms swung massively between hypo/hyper. I'd be so cold my nails and lips were blue and I'd be falling asleep sat up, in the middle of the day. I took my temperature once during an episode and I was into the hyperthermic range. It was a really horrible time so I hope you get some help with it.
Wow that does sound awful ☹ is it better and under control now?
Thank you so much. I don’t know if I’m being dramatic here but it’s really affecting my marriage.
My husband is completely sweating his tits off while I’m sat here shivering with blankets, hot water bottle etc. I beg to turn the heating on and we argue about how expensive it is and how the house is already boiling. I just worry so much about my son being cold and if he feels the cold like I do.
My hubby reassures me daily that my son is lovely and toasty warm. I think I’m driving him insane keep going on about it….
I wish I could just relax but I just struggle so much 😔😔

• Heart
Wow that does sound awful ☹ is it better and under control now?
Thank you so much. I don’t know if I’m being dramatic here but it’s really affecting my marriage.
My husband is completely sweating his tits off while I’m sat here shivering with blankets, hot water bottle etc. I beg to turn the heating on and we argue about how expensive it is and how the house is already boiling. I just worry so much about my son being cold and if he feels the cold like I do.
My hubby reassures me daily that my son is lovely and toasty warm. I think I’m driving him insane keep going on about it….
I wish I could just relax but I just struggle so much 😔😔
Mine is sorted now, thank you. It went fully overactive in the end due to a multinodular goiter so I had half removed. The other half is big, noticeably big but it isn't compressing my windpipe which was the case when I still had the full gland and my levels are all good now.

It was a rough few years though, at one point I lost a lot of weight in the space of a fortnight and ended up weighing under six stone. I had awful muscle weakness as well and lost quite a lot of hair at the temple, I looked like I had a really bad receding hairline. I also developed darkened skin patches in various places. It's not a particularly nice illness to have and I found a lot of people didn't even know where the thyroid was located, nevermind what it does.

I'll keep everything crossed for you that if your bloods show a thyroid problem that you can get the tight treatment. It's not always as straightforward as you'd think it might be to get the help.

Mine is sorted now, thank you. It went fully overactive in the end due to a multinodular goiter so I had half removed. The other half is big, noticeably big but it isn't compressing my windpipe which was the case when I still had the full gland and my levels are all good now.

It was a rough few years though, at one point I lost a lot of weight in the space of a fortnight and ended up weighing under six stone. I had awful muscle weakness as well and lost quite a lot of hair at the temple, I looked like I had a really bad receding hairline. I also developed darkened skin patches in various places. It's not a particularly nice illness to have and I found a lot of people didn't even know where the thyroid was located, nevermind what it does.

I'll keep everything crossed for you that if your bloods show a thyroid problem that you can get the tight treatment. It's not always as straightforward as you'd think it might be to get the help.
I’m another postpartum thyrotoxicosis sufferer 👋🏻 during lockdown too, so no access to help! Nine long months of weird weak jelly arms and a racing heart before I finally got answers. We’ve recently found multiple nodules on an ultrasound and I keep noticing I’m fluctuating between over and underactive symptoms frequently, did you stay permanently hyper, or did you also wax and wane? Our local endo service is overrun and it’s taking months to get seen for checkups, I’m not sure how serious it is and whether I should be pushing harder/making more noise, I hate feeling like a hypochondriac!

• Heart
I’m another postpartum thyrotoxicosis sufferer 👋🏻 during lockdown too, so no access to help! Nine long months of weird weak jelly arms and a racing heart before I finally got answers. We’ve recently found multiple nodules on an ultrasound and I keep noticing I’m fluctuating between over and underactive symptoms frequently, did you stay permanently hyper, or did you also wax and wane? Our local endo service is overrun and it’s taking months to get seen for checkups, I’m not sure how serious it is and whether I should be pushing harder/making more noise, I hate feeling like a hypochondriac!
I was borderline for a long time and it did fluctuate into and out of normal range but once it had become properly overactive it stayed it. I'd had problems for years on and off though. I originally found out my TSH was reduced because I had an abnormal heart rate during an operation and they did blood tests.

One nodule grew quite quickly. I ended up referred on the two week wait cancer pathway, had a needle biopsy on 24th Dec and spent the whole Christmas period desperately trying to "make memories" because I felt so awful, I genuinely believed I could be seriously unwell. I'd had a lot of problems with it being overactive during the pregnancy earlier than year (and during and after the previous one) and they wanted to put me on Carbimazole (I think that's what it was) but I refused. I did have another pregnancy after that (not planned) and fortunately it didn't flare up as badly but the nodules really grew which led to the hemithyroidectomy.

I felt like a hyperchondriac too. So much so, I became quite anti doctors because at one point I was literally shaking head to toe all the time and they told me I was just very anxious and would have to inpatient me! It was really awful so yes do fight. You may need to ask for a conversion of T3 to T4 test. I wish I had. You know yourself best, not the GP. Push for what you need and be confident with it.

Just out of interest, have you got wrist pain? They tried to tell me mine was carpal tunnel but the wrong fingers hurt for it to be that. I've read bits that say it can cause wrist pain but I've never found anyone else who has experienced it.

Just out of interest, have you got wrist pain? They tried to tell me mine was carpal tunnel but the wrong fingers hurt for it to be that. I've read bits that say it can cause wrist pain but I've never found anyone else who has experienced it.
not sure if you mean thyroid issues in general or specifically postpartum (sorry if the latter bc that's not me) but yes! started flaring over lockdown, assumed it was with WFH for longer periods of time but saw a physio earlier this year who said it's likely a TFCC tear based on symptoms and physical assessment but no xray etc. i wear a wrist widget now fairly regularly and have seen a change in how much i 'notice' it tbh! also use an ergonomic mouse where your thumb points up and have got on well with that too

another q but honestly might be different based on what's causing the nodules - how often do you get an ultrasound? my first and only one was almost 7 years ago after being diagnosed, keep asking docs but can never get a straight answer

not sure if you mean thyroid issues in general or specifically postpartum (sorry if the latter bc that's not me) but yes! started flaring over lockdown, assumed it was with WFH for longer periods of time but saw a physio earlier this year who said it's likely a TFCC tear based on symptoms and physical assessment but no xray etc. i wear a wrist widget now fairly regularly and have seen a change in how much i 'notice' it tbh! also use an ergonomic mouse where your thumb points up and have got on well with that too

another q but honestly might be different based on what's causing the nodules - how often do you get an ultrasound? my first and only one was almost 7 years ago after being diagnosed, keep asking docs but can never get a straight answer
My wrist pain was specifically postpartum. It didn't happen at any other point it was overactive. Not that I remember anyway. I used wrist splints for a while.

I've had four, maybe five ultrasounds in total I think. Three before I had half removed and two on the remaining side after that. I vaguely remember discussions that there would be one annually under the Endo but because the my wind pipe had become deviated there was no choice but to operate at that point.

It's ENT I was under most recently (most recent scan was last year or maybe earlier this year, I've lost track of time a bit over the last two years). They've said I will definitely need the remaining half removing within a time frame of ten years but won't monitor me during that time. I just have to go back to the GP and be re-referred if I feel it's become problematic. It may well become overactive again but so far so good 🤞🏻.

Last edited:
  • Heart
So my blood results came back.
thyroid levels are fine.

I’m sat here crying in frustration as I was so sure it was my thyroid and that I was finally gonna get help for it!

So I’m supposed to just lose My hair in clumps, be freezing even in a warm environment, struggle to keep awake & feel low 24/7 for the rest of my life with no explanation.

ok ☹☹☹☹
I don’t know how much longer I can take feeling like this

• Sad
Reactions: 5
thyroid levels are fine.

I’m sat here crying in frustration as I was so sure it was my thyroid and that I was finally gonna get help for it!

So I’m supposed to just lose My hair in clumps, be freezing even in a warm environment, struggle to keep awake & feel low 24/7 for the rest of my life with no explanation.

ok ☹☹☹☹

What are your numbers? You can be borderline but normal and still have symptoms?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
thyroid levels are fine.

ok ☹☹☹☹
The NHS reference ranges are crap, their “normal” is most definitely not normal!

thyroid levels are fine.

ok ☹☹☹☹
It’s true that the NHS “normal” range just often isn’t. Naturopaths often talk about this being the case. Also, you could get your blood count checked as pernicious anaemia (lack of vit B12) can wipe you out and make you feel really awful.

I just saw this thread - it's so timely, my doctor suspects I have an underactive thyroid. Going to have labs done (ugh, I hate needles), hope I can find answers as to what's going on with me!

Reactions: 2