This Is Us

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m on the final season episode 11. The one about Kate and Toby.
Have to say I hate Kate. Not normal for me to dislike a character so much but she’s been so horrible the whole way through the seasons and as an adult she’s even worse.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Have to say I hate Kate. Not normal for me to dislike a character so much but she’s been so horrible the whole way through the seasons and as an adult she’s even worse.
I absolutely agree with this. I bloody LOVED everyone in this series EXCEPT her.
Horrible human being. Everything always about her.
And don't even get me started on the cause of what happened to Jack ( trying not to drop a spoiler for those who aren't up to date )

Reactions: 3
Yep. I’m in the can’t stand Kate club too! There isn’t anything likeable about her character in any of the eras I don’t think! Except the littlest Kate who is cute to be fair.

Yep. I’m in the can’t stand Kate club too! There isn’t anything likeable about her character in any of the eras I don’t think! Except the littlest Kate who is cute to be fair.
I came to like her more as the years rolled by.
She let her loving mother get to her, it’s not Rebecca’s fault that she is more beautiful, has a wonderful figure and is a better singer. Kate should have gone to therapy when she was young, lots going on there, too much love for Dad and begrudged mum.

Reactions: 2
I think it's a weird show as quite a few of the characters are not particularly likable (Kate and Kevin) plus it's over 100 episodes of a show about a family that actually didn't get on that well after the kids were about 10 but there's something about it that kept me watching. I think the actors playing Jack and Rebecca had great chemistry and the 70s/80s nostalgia also helped.

Reactions: 8
On episode 6 of season 6. Kevin and Cassidy get ice cream and Kevin tried to hold her hand. She shut it down immediately which seemed to shock mister god’s gift to women 🙄. Having decent conversations and being available at odd times of the day for phone calls doesn’t mean you’re meant for a relationship. And casual sex between friends is acceptable if mutually agreed but again doesn’t mean it’s going to go any further. I like Cassidy and am glad she called him out on his rom com fantasy. She is the only voice of reason in his life. I love that she tells him no, holds him accountable, and most importantly doesn’t automatically agree with all his impulsive ideas and decisions. She’s not your soulmate Kevin, she is a damn good friend!

Reactions: 5
Finally finished watching this loved it. Agree about Kate being annoying she had a good thing with Toby.

I just came across this show on Prime and I can’t quantify the amount of times I laughed and cried in every episode. This show is like an emotional roller-coaster. I love it!

Kevin is a bit of a tool. I don’t like the way he treated Randall when they were younger. It really ripped my heart to watch those scenes.

Kate keeps whining all the time.

Randall is my favorite character together with William and Jack. They’re so endearing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I just came across this show on Prime and I can’t quantify the amount of times I laughed and cried in every episode. This show is like an emotional roller-coaster. I love it!

Kevin is a bit of a tool. I don’t like the way he treated Randall when they were younger. It really ripped my heart to watch those scenes.

Kate keeps whining all the time.

Randall is my favorite character together with William and Jack. They’re both so endearing.
Have you viewed all 6 series ?
I have twice, what a show. I had reversals on a few of the characters as the years rolled by. And what a strong supporting casts, William and Dr K come to mind immediately,

Have you viewed all 6 series ?
I have twice, what a show. I had reversals on a few of the characters as the years rolled by. And what a strong supporting casts, William and Dr K come to mind immediately,
I’m going through season 1. It’s good to know, thank you!

It’s definitely one of those shows that linger on your mind even when you’re not actively watching.

I just finished watching the whole series.

My thoughts:

- The first couple of seasons, I really disliked Kate because her entire storyline revolves around her weight. I had to skip every scene with her because of this. She grew on me after she and Toby got kids and he lost weight. That said, I really didn’t like what she did to Toby when he’d clearly landed his dream job in SF and he really seemed to get along with his coworkers. She really hijacked him and got him to leave it behind for a lower paying job in LA. Plus, she didn’t seem super supportive after he lost his job.

- Miguel’s story didn’t get enough screen time. I really did like Miguel. He seemed like such a sweet, stable and reliable person. To be honest, I liked him better than Jack. Yes, Jack was charismatic and a great dad, but he had vices and a lot of baggage.

- Sophie was a useless character. She was boring and brought no added value to the show. She was just floating around here and there. I honestly preferred Madison. Sophie was too plain and pretty much in Kevin’s shadow the whole time. The second to last episode, she probably had 5 lines max.

- I wish they had incorporated a bit more of Malik’s story in the flash forward. We don’t even know what his job is after graduating from Harvard.

Same with Annie, no clue what‘a going on with her. We know a lot about teenager and grown up Tess, but nothing about Annie. She was overlooked.

- Unpopular opinion but I didn’t like Rebecca once she got older. Something about her rubbed me the wrong way, particularly that scene where she asked Kevin to build her that house. It reeks of entitlement. I don’t care what kind of dynamic you have with your children, asking them to build a house for you is over the top.

- Loved Nicky’s dry’s humor. He was a good addition! I’m glad he found love eventually.

- Loved William. He seemed like a kind soul.

My opinions may be unpopular but hey ho.

The one thing I gotta say though is this show is a did a good job in terms of diversity (across the entire series).

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I just finished watching the whole series.

My thoughts:

- The first couple of seasons, I really disliked Kate because her entire storyline revolves around her weight. I had to skip every scene with her because of this. She grew on me after she and Toby got kids and he lost weight. That said, I really didn’t like what she did to Toby where he’d clearly landed his dream job in SF and he really seemed to get along with his coworkers. She really hijacked him and also didn’t seem super supportive after he lost his job.

- Miguel’s story didn’t get enough screen time. I really did like Miguel. He seemed like such a sweet, stable and reliable person. To be honest, I liked him better than Jack. Yes, Jack was charismatic and a great dad, but he had vices and a lot of baggage.

- Sophie was a useless character. She was boring and brought no added value to the show. She was just floating around here and there. I honestly preferred Madison. Sophie was too plain.

- I wish they had incorporated a bit more of Malik’s story in the flash forward. We don’t even know what his job is after graduating from Harvard.

Same with Annie, no clue what‘a going on with her. We know a lot about teenager and grown up Tess, but nothing about Annie. She was overlooked.

- Unpopular opinion but I didn’t like Rebecca once she got older. Something about her rubbed me the wrong way, particularly that scene where she asked Kevin to build her that house. It reeks of entitlement. I don’t care what kind of dynamic you have with your children, asking them to build a house is over the top.

- Loved Nicky’s dry’s humor. He was a good addition! I’m glad he found love eventually.

- Loved William. He seemed like a kind soul.

My opinions may be unpopular but hey ho.

The one thing I gotta say though is this show is a did a good job in terms of diversity (across the entire series).
Those are not unpopular opinions with me! I agree with them all, except I never really got to like Kate. There are SO many times when her reaction is completely ridiculous and she blames other people for all her own tit. And the dad worship for Jack is OTT!

I’m rewatching and finding the words “Bud, Babe and Bug” totally infuriating 🤬
I still love Toby and Beth and Miguel, the other big three are SOOO much better than the triplets. And William is the best.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Those are not unpopular opinions with me! I agree with them all, except I never really got to like Kate. There are SO many times when her reaction is completely ridiculous and she blames other people for all her own tit. And the dad worship for Jack is OTT!

I’m rewatching and finding the words “Bud, Babe and Bug” totally infuriating 🤬
I still love Toby and Beth and Miguel, the other big three are SOOO much better than the triplets. And William is the best.
Yes, 100% agree.

Kate really worshipped her dad and expected Toby to parent in the same manner which is completely unfair and placed a lot of stress on him. She scrutinized his parenting and acted like a single mom before they even got divorced. She didn’t seem to value Toby’s say in their parenting at all. He honestly didn’t stand a chance. Yet, she married Philip who seems to be the least emotionally in-tune character.

I totally forgot about ‘bug’.

I couldn’t deal with the word ‘bug’ by the end of the series. That word was used literally every other sentence. I now have a new-found dislike for this overused word. Overkill. Babe is weird as well. Yuck.

Yes, 100% agree.

Kate really worshipped her dad and expected Toby to parent in the same manner which is completely unfair and placed a lot of stress on him. She scrutinized his parenting and acted like a single mom before they even got divorced. She didn’t seem to value Toby’s say in their parenting at all. He honestly didn’t stand a chance. Yet, she married Philip who seems to be the least emotionally in-tune character.

I totally forgot about ‘bug’.

I couldn’t deal with the word ‘bug’ by the end of the series. That word was used literally every other sentence. I now have a new-found dislike for this overused word. Overkill. Babe is weird as well. Yuck.
I get that Jack was “perfect” in their eyes, and that when someone dies you put them on a pedestal anyway, but it got so annoying 🙄 Like when Kevin went to rehab and tried to suggest that their childhood wasn’t perfect and they all flipped out.

Families use nicknames but honestly, by the time people are in their 40s surely you’d give it up?!?

I get that Jack was “perfect” in their eyes, and that when someone dies you put them on a pedestal anyway, but it got so annoying 🙄 Like when Kevin went to rehab and tried to suggest that their childhood wasn’t perfect and they all flipped out.

Families use nicknames but honestly, by the time people are in their 40s surely you’d give it up?!?
To be honest, Kevin may have had drinking and commitment issues, but he was the most realistic one. Kate and Randall were far too sheltered by Rebecca and Jack to see things for what they were. They had rose-tinted glasses on their entire childhood.

Reactions: 5
To be honest, Kevin may have had drinking and commitment issues, but he was the most realistic one. Kate and Randall were far too sheltered by Rebecca and Jack to see things for what they were. They had rose-tinted glasses on their entire childhood.
Yeah I like Kevin the best out of the big 3!

I think the casting was great in this show and also the storytelling/editing. How they moved between timelines with loads of mini plot reveals was seamless. I often watch a film with some sort of time hop involved and kind of forget what's going on but this was really well done.

Having said that, I had zero sympathy for Kate and didn't believe her relationship with Phillip at all. Beth, William, Nicky, Miguel and to an extent Toby stopped it being dull.

I think the casting was great in this show and also the storytelling/editing. How they moved between timelines with loads of mini plot reveals was seamless. I often watch a film with some sort of time hop involved and kind of forget what's going on but this was really well done.

Having said that, I had zero sympathy for Kate and didn't believe her relationship with Phillip at all. Beth, William, Nicky, Miguel and to an extent Toby stopped it being dull.
100% agree on the casting and the jumps between the timelines. I never felt confused! Also love how they’d show a random person or family at the start of an episode and it would somehow link and tie in with the main characters. So clever.
Yep, without Beth, William, Toby and Uncle Nicky it would be almost unwatchable really 🤣