Thevitamindproject - Africa

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think representation does matter though. I know when I first joined instagram I didn't have anyone that wasn't white appearing on my feed. I can imagine as a BIPOC that must really sting. As a white person, I enjoyed seeing Black/Asian families doing their thing, and I also learned a lot from their accounts. Most of them were just documenting snippets from their lives, they weren't monetized (well, that I was aware of). Africa used to do so many stories of her kids just playing. Why should instagram just be depicting white people living their best lives, or even selling the nation stuff? Of course then the issue of children being a part of these sales comes into play, but that isn't my biggest issue tbh.

Reactions: 3
Agree completely, it definitely does matter. I’m a white first time mum and her content has made me realise that even toddlerhood isn’t too early to speak to my daughter about race, I’ve bought books she’s recommended, wouldn’t have even thought to check that the books Waterstones or whoever are placing under their diverse kids lit sections are actually written by BAME authors either! So I’ve learnt a lot from her.

The money thing I think puts a mirror back on people. Like I enjoy her content so I’m fine with it being monetised, she actually very clearly declared ads and actually bothers to produce content for them, she’s not half arsed like most the huns are. She went ad heavy for a period but was also about to buy a house so the hustle makes sense.

I suspect people would have their nose out of joint even if she was a 100% non monetised profile re the expensive kids clothing or homeware.

Yes the books was a really good point. Mine are past that stage now but definitely planning a more diverse book shelf for the grandchildren . One thing that I was confused about (that I'd forgotten about) was Africa saying white people had to consciously buy from BAME authors/toy makers, but it didn't matter if she didn't because her daughters were Black. Does anyone remember this, and remember what her rationale was? IIRC she was quite annoyed by it.
Re expensive stuff. I don't care who buys what but if you want to spend £400 on a stool just own it. Don't go on about being so frugal and having a modest lifestyle and how it's more sustainable. Just say (if you feel the need to justify it), you know I like this, I can afford it, so I'm buying it.

Reactions: 2
Thanks for that, you obviously followed her earlier than I did.

I already followed a few black financial influencers before I followed Africa. Maggie Anderson in particular has been advocating the buy black movement since 2014. I missed her take on it.

I don’t remember that. I think Instagram as a whole are v guilty of perpetuating this sustainable aesthetic - all Kilner glass jars, nice mid century repo wood furniture, etc when the most sustainable thing you could do is not buy anything. It’s fine to prefer quality items or good design but yeah dressing any consumption up as a sustainable choice isn’t my fav!

How she gave the impression she was underprivileged and was annoyed about others not acknowledging their privilege, but spending a lot of money
What made you assume she was poor though? Initially I did because, ill be honest, her taste in furniture and clothes is all very hand me down but that says more about me than her?!

What made you assume she was poor though? Initially I did because, ill be honest, her taste in furniture and clothes is all very hand me down but that says more about me than her?!
When I started following her she talked a lot about poverty (and the poverty she grew up in), said social housing was for the underprivileged and combined with her being in social housing I just assumed. She did talk a lot about people not acknowledging their own privilege (wrt money) but never said 'oh I've been lucky to break even' type of thing. Like you I felt the children's clothes were a bit 1980s charity shop so that didn't help. How much I'm laughing at myself for that now

I think it's out perception of wealth isn't it. I didn't know people paid 200 quid for arran jumpers. Cursing my mother for not keeping mine from the 80s I'd be loaded!

Reactions: 1
Im surprised she hasnt said anything about the black mummy bpogger sydney piercey who has just bought out a new book about kids sustainable toys/play

Thought she would be all over this!! But she doesnt follow Sydney but Sydney follows her

Im surprised she hasnt said anything about the black mummy bpogger sydney piercey who has just bought out a new book about kids sustainable toys/play

Thought she would be all over this!! But she doesnt follow Sydney but Sydney follows her
If she doesn't follow her then it's probably not her thing. She said before she wouldn't promote anyone's work/products unless she was really into it.

Reactions: 1
So glad I found this thread, but before I go and binge read it all, has Africa ever said why she named her child Israel whilst at the same time being pro palestine?

Reactions: 5
So glad I found this thread, but before I go and binge read it all, has Africa ever said why she named her child Israel whilst at the same time being pro palestine?
In a Q&A she once said her girl's names were influenced by religions she experienced growing up. Her dad is an ital rastafarian, and from what I read about that is related to the twelve tribes of Israel (forgive me if this info is wrong, I can't remember exactly). So it's Biblicaly inspired.

ETA: I'm assuming that is the motivation behind the name, based on what she said, but could be wrong.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t knock her for that even if she did lose a lot of followers for speaking her mind.

My take the promised land = the promised child. Both a dream come true.

Jill Duggar also called her oldest son that name.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I think you're right. I remember learning this off my dad whilst school were teaching me about Joseph's technicolour dreamcoat.
The 12 tribes are descended from Jacob/Israel sons

I’m ESL so this might be just going over my head but what does this mean/what’s the story here?
Candice (or Candi as she referred to herself) did an interview as a brothel madam (a woman who runs a brothel) and was talking about how lucrative it was and how she had big plans to expand her business model. Was laughing throughout and was hoping for big money. Anyway that was a number of years ago, and someone posted it. Candice then obviously got wind of it, and did a very teary sob story about how in the past she became a sex worker to feed herself. It was all BS basically, she was trying to turn herself into a victim when in the interview she was all about how other women were going to make her rich.

Reactions: 8
Are you talking about Africa? I missed this story

Are you talking about Africa? I missed this story
Noooooo no no no, this is Candice Braithwaite (may have spelt surname wrong sorry). She has her own thread if you search for it. God can’t think of how to even explain her as she’s an influencer and Insta mama in her own right and was what they called a c list or z list influencer back in the #gifted #PR peak ~2018/9 when it was all middle class white mamas being given house extensions for free (before brands realised they’d need to see a ROI on this activity and actually measure campaign performance so u had truly weak morons getting a lot of free shit). Clemmie Hooper came to tattle under fake accounts to chat shit about her and say some actively racist bits, it all came out and gave tattle a huge boom in membership. Afaik her and Africa are in no way affiliated / even friends? Candice is in Milton Keynes so not even geographically close!