Theranos and Elizabeth Holmes

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Interesting.
Why do you suspect that the relationship was dark and sordid?
I saw it as her clutching at straws when the defence brought it up. Why would such a strong person remain in a bad relationship? It is a bit strange to me.

And where do you see the China connection as relevant?
From an investor perspective or regarding the ruthless attitude towards people's health?
I didn't take "dark and sordid" to mean "bad relationship" at all ... so much about her is "unconventional" I would not be at all surprised if her relationships were unusual, doesn't mean they're bad though.

The Theranos scandal has revealed deep flaws of the US healthcare system. Americans aren’t as protected as they would like to think yet they continue to feel otherwise. Holmes is a female cross between Bernie Madoff and Adolf Hitler. She had their drive and ability to win people over.
It’s her China connection that hasn’t received enough attention. She speaks Mandarin. She studied the SARS virus before she founded Theranos. After she graduated from high school, she spent the summer in Beijing where she met Sunny Balwani, who would later become her boyfriend and COO of Theranos. I suspect their relationship was rather dark and sordid.
kind of unrelated but anyone interested in seeing a very dark side of how dangerous the us healthcare system can be should listen to the podcast dr death

Reactions: 2
kind of unrelated but anyone interested in seeing a very dark side of how dangerous the us healthcare system can be should listen to the podcast dr death
Dr Death was excellent - very worrying - but excellent

It’s her China connection that hasn’t received enough attention. She speaks Mandarin. She studied the SARS virus before she founded Theranos. After she graduated from high school, she spent the summer in Beijing where she met Sunny Balwani, who would later become her boyfriend and COO of Theranos. I suspect their relationship was rather dark and sordid.
She had a job in a SARS research lab in her first year of university as a teenager and did a summer school course in Mandarin - which is how she met Balwani. Not exactly as dark and disturbing as you make it sound.

Reactions: 4
I didn't take "dark and sordid" to mean "bad relationship" at all ... so much about her is "unconventional" I would not be at all surprised if her relationships were unusual, doesn't mean they're bad though.
Absolutely no. I didn't said bad,sorry I'm not a native English speaker.Unusual and profound,very intense,much better description.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I wonder what her sentence would be if she hadn't ripped off some of the richest folk in the world and just everyday regular investors.

That's so interesting that the jury was deadlocked on three counts.

I wonder if there is a retrial for those counts?

Of course she will appeal, but if she will be successful? Unlikely. It sounds like the jury made a very careful decision.

It will be interesting to see what the sentence will be. My guess will be 20 years because of the high sums involved and the number of transactions.

For those who can't access that documentary, this video is also interesting. (In fact, I discovered this fraud thanks to it.)

I also find interesting that nobody noticed the absence of experts in medicine, especially given the kind of product and service Theranos offered. That should be a clear red flag :unsure:😩.

EDIT: This interview with the reported who uncovered all of this seems to be pretty interesting as well:

I saw her on the news this morning, what’s with the eyes? Contacts? Very scary

Reactions: 1
I’m a little torn on this. Of course she’s a fraudster and she should be taken to account for her crimes.

But her victims were exceedingly rich individuals trying to get even more rich. And I have very little sympathy for them. I wish there was a scenario in which both sides could lose.

I’m now waiting for Elon Musk to come crashing down. There is already an investigation ongoing. Well do you know anyone who actually owns a Tesla?

I’m a little torn on this.
I’m now waiting for Elon Musk to come crashing down. There is already an investigation ongoing. Well do you know anyone who actually owns a Tesla?
I thought I read a huge percentage have been recalled.
Automaker recalls 475,000 Model 3 and Model S cars to fix problems in rear-view cameras and trunk latches

I’m a little torn on this. Of course she’s a fraudster and she should be taken to account for her crimes.

But her victims were exceedingly rich individuals trying to get even more rich. And I have very little sympathy for them. I wish there was a scenario in which both sides could lose.

There's also the fact that her companies blood test results were used to make medical treatment decisions such as increasing /decreasing or starting new medications. Including wrong results for cancer + diabetic patients.

There's 3 Telsa's in my area. They're a cool status symbol like anything else.

Her tests told people they had miscarried, that their cancer had returned etc. The prosecution did a great job of removing that testimony from the trial. Witness could give factual information but no information on the emotional impact

They should never have gone live with the walgreens store roll out, and she knew it but went ahead - they’ve never established why? Was it ego, was it fear. It was her call and she pushed it through. Other companies have gone out with bugs, but her technology didn’t exist.

They wanted to use their technology on Ebola patients - can you imagine, imagine the millions they would have made generating nonsense covid tests.

It’s a useful idea, but the technology is fundamentally flawed. Most knowledgeable biotech steered clear. It was only FOMO due to her dishonest pitches that brought in the money

His fall will be spectacular.

I know several people with Teslas ... NZ has a scheme where the government pays so much towards electric vehicles and suddenly a few people went crazy buying them (they're not cheap - about NZ$60k for a basic-ish one). Auckland central suburbs are full of them ... they're ugly things.

Her tests told people they had miscarried, that their cancer had returned etc. The prosecution did a great job of removing that testimony from the trial. Witness could give factual information but no information on the emotional impact

They should never have gone live with the walgreens store roll out, and she knew it but went ahead - they’ve never established why? Was it ego, was it fear. It was her call and she pushed it through. Other companies have gone out with bugs, but her technology didn’t exist.

They wanted to use their technology on Ebola patients - can you imagine, imagine the millions they would have made generating nonsense covid tests.

It’s a useful idea, but the technology is fundamentally flawed. Most knowledgeable biotech steered clear. It was only FOMO due to her dishonest pitches that brought in the money
exactly, not all her victims were just millionaires (limited sympathy for them being duped tbh, although are was aiming at being like them so..) but she gave normal people false results, imagining her being able to have done the same in this pandemic is terrifying. thank god she wasnt

Reactions: 3
I’m still listening to the podcast atm. She is too annoying. Her phoney deep voice, Steve Jobs obsession and god complex. Absolute ick. I keep thinking of that poor scientist guy who killed himself and his widowed wife, he’s the biggest victim I’ve heard. As always, it’s aggravating hearing how the narrative is spun when it involves some private-school educated fraudster, it was “misguided ambition” rather than a web of deceit 🥱

Reactions: 6