The Winter of Discontent #3 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you’ve got any outdoor space, even a little balcony, I’d recommend growing lettuce and salad leaves. It’s coming up to summer, these are pricey in the supermarket and if you’re anything like me you always end up throwing a lot away. You can grow 4 lettuces per 12” pot and just cut leaves when needed. Will cost you a couple of pounds to keep in salad leaves all summer.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
If you’ve got any outdoor space, even a little balcony, I’d recommend growing lettuce and salad leaves. It’s coming up to summer, these are pricey in the supermarket and if you’re anything like me you always end up throwing a lot away. You can grow 4 lettuces per 12” pot and just cut leaves when needed. Will cost you a couple of pounds to keep in salad leaves all summer.
I'm going to try and grow lettuce, tomatoes and strawberries this year.

Reactions: 3
yes even a tiny non-space can be used You can also grow many things like tomatoes, strawberries, salad leaves, etc in hanging baskets, leaving the floor for other things, also pot holders for walls and drainpipes for hanging pots on potatoes can be grown dark bags.

I was contemplating growing potatoes in a large bag, I hear one potato gives you about 1kg worth of harvest.

I have a smLL balcony but it only gets sun if there is any..) until about 10am, is it still possible to grow lettuce etc somewhere like this?

Reactions: 2
I have a smLL balcony but it only gets sun if there is any..) until about 10am, is it still possible to grow lettuce etc somewhere like this?
Doesn't even need to be outside.

Join in here 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I put those really bright LED strips around my bedroom window I got a few and went around a few times.
I'm sure they are waterproof but make sure if you buy them

Reactions: 1
They get more space, 13 chickens per sqm and have to have access to an outdoor run for half their life.
I think most places just have a cover over the run at the moment so they can still get out.

I think organic is less chickens per sqm and 2/3 of their life outdoors.
I went for the £7.25 chicken thinking it would surely be better than the £4 one. They substituted it for an organic one which was £14.97!! I sent it back. Just can’t justify £15 for one medium size chicken.

• Wow
I went for the £7.25 chicken thinking it would surely be better than the £4 one. They substituted it for an organic one which was £14.97!! I sent it back. Just can’t justify £15 for one medium size chicken.
Do you not pay the £7.25 of the one you ordered?

Every online food shop I have ever done if the sub is more expensive you pay the original price no extra

Every online food shop I have ever done if the sub is more expensive you pay the original price no extra
Exactly- I almost kept it for this reason before I checked the receipt. It was Morrisons who I’ve not used before. Apparently they charge you the price of the substituted item even if higher 😱

Also- bread was unavailable and no substitute! I do find it hard to believe there was not one loaf of bread in store but maybe that’s what’s happening now?

• Wow
Exactly- I almost kept it for this reason before I checked the receipt. It was Morrisons who I’ve not used before. Apparently they charge you the price of the substituted item even if higher 😱

Also- bread was unavailable and no substitute! I do find it hard to believe there was not one loaf of bread in store but maybe that’s what’s happening now?
That’s cheeky! I have never used Morrisons delivery so will keep an eye out if I do

Reactions: 5
I love it when they sub me something more expensive, I feel so boujee that week dining on my fancy nosh :ROFLMAO:

We did a click and collect order this morning and no bread for us either. Just two standard white loaves (one for now and one for freezer as we’ve had covid and a newborn so depleted our food reserves over the last couple weeks) - we had also ordered a chicken but none available. Husband went into Tesco after collecting the order and was able to pick up the same size chicken and same bread that were allegedly unavailable for the click and collect 🙄

Reactions: 5
We did a click and collect order this morning and no bread for us either. Just two standard white loaves (one for now and one for freezer as we’ve had covid and a newborn so depleted our food reserves over the last couple weeks) - we had also ordered a chicken but none available. Husband went into Tesco after collecting the order and was able to pick up the same size chicken and same bread that were allegedly unavailable for the click and collect 🙄
They don't fulfil the click and collect orders from the stores at Tesco unlike places like Sainsburys so if their home delivery warehouse is out of stock then your local store may indeed still have it. The Tesco Groceries app now seemingly has an in store stock level checker but I'm not sure how accurate that is, but may save some wasted journeys with fuel being so high now.

Morrisons don't have many items from the saver range to order on delivery either, usually the slightly more costly version tends to be the only option

They don't fulfil the click and collect orders from the stores at Tesco unlike places like Sainsburys so if their home delivery warehouse is out of stock then your local store may indeed still have it. The Tesco Groceries app now seemingly has an in store stock level checker but I'm not sure how accurate that is, but may save some wasted journeys with fuel being so high now.
They definitely fulfil my click and collect from the tesco store.

And I have has same issues with things being unavailable on my order to then find it on the shelf. I assume it is just a timing thing I.e. none available when picking and then someone fills the shelf afterwards

They definitely fulfil my click and collect from the tesco store.

And I have has same issues with things being unavailable on my order to then find it on the shelf. I assume it is just a timing thing I.e. none available when picking and then someone fills the shelf afterwards
Oh fair enough that's annoying then. Locally to me they have a separate warehouse to fulfil the click and collect orders and park up the vans in the car park at the "big" Tesco (I refuse to know it as anything other than big Tesco 😂)

I think sainsburys charge you the higher price if your sub is more expensive too

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.