The Winter of Discontent #3 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Asda -in the days before you needed a mortgage for a lamb joint -gave me a full shoulder in replacement of a half shoulder three times. Could do with that now.
lamb used to be the poor man's joint but now it's cheaper to get a beef joint.
I now order my meat online from this amazing butcher who does deals all day long! I got a full sirloin cut into about 25 steaks, 5kg of boneless chicken breast, and three beef joints for £113 delivered the next day.

I went to Costco the other day picked up a beef joint a fraction bigger than one of those I got three of and it was £38.. WTF? I only went for the meat and walked out without any.

Reactions: 7
Another thing that gets me is there are so many deer roaming around this island. Does anyone here eat venison? Even offal is great to eat. It's just getting used to eating it, and knowing what to do with it.

I saw a TV show with Jamie Oliver starring in it. He mentioned that venison is a great meat, and barely anyone in this country eats it. It was surprising to hear actually. Maybe in times of more difficulty, we need to be more open minded to what we eat.

Reactions: 4
Another thing that gets me is there are so many deer roaming around this island. Does anyone here eat venison? Even offal is great to eat. It's just getting used to eating it, and knowing what to do with it.

I saw a TV show with Jamie Oliver starring in it. He mentioned that venison is a great meat, and barely anyone in this country eats it. It was surprising to hear actually. Maybe in times of more difficulty, we need to be more open minded to what we eat.
I like venison but it’s pretty expensive from my butcher. Offal on the other hand 🤢.

I like venison but it’s pretty expensive from my butcher. Offal on the other hand 🤢.
I think it's a case of knowing how to cook offal. I like liver, regardless of which animal it's from. I have tried heart, which seemed to taste quite like steak. I would say give it a go, see what you think.

Venison being expensive is odd, because from what I've heard and read, deer are in abundance in this country. I don't understand how it would cost so much. Am I missing something?

Reactions: 1
1) Staples that we eat a lot of and can store that may not be so easy to come by in future
2) Long life canned or dried foods that we can use to stretch budgets in particularly expensive months

All food is going to become more expensive because there’s a shortage of grain (including animal feed) and fertiliser (for crops). Sunflower oil is mainly from Ukraine too…
My local supermarket is already out of sunflower oil. There were still olive oils and rapeseed oil, for now. Still plenty of flour for now also but I guess it depends on how much stock shops already have in their storage areas. I've noticed petrol near me is still at 1.62 so the 5p duty change hasn't really made an obvious difference to the end user.

I think it's a case of knowing how to cook offal. I like liver, regardless of which animal it's from. I have tried heart, which seemed to taste quite like steak. I would say give it a go, see what you think.
I was forced to eat it in the 80’s. It’s not for me.

Reactions: 2
We had ox heart yesterday! Slow cooked in Dutch oven in a stew. I tell everyone it’s braising steak, they’ve not objected yet. It’s not different tasting like liver and if you cook it low and slow it’s very tender. I might try mincing some up and making burgers. £8 for a full heart if you’re willing to chop the fat and tubes off and you get so much meat.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 5
I was forced to eat it in the 80’s. It’s not for me.
We used to have liver once a week. It was so grim. Grey and chewy. Yuck.

My mum cooked it and I hated it. when I was pregnant I was very anaemic and was told to eat liver, my MIL cooked it for me twice a week and it was divine. Not before a lot of fuss from me trying to actually put it into my mouth 🤣 But she put me on the road of being a liver lover

I flash fry it with heart and kidney and throw some bacon and curry powder in it and have it for breakfast (my Moroccan BIL got me into this)

I make my own pate and its about the healthiest food you can eat just rammed with vitamins . its a real energy booster.

If the SHTF I would be out getting deer and rabbits etc. I doubt many people here would, we have lots of ancient fruit trees and bushes here and no one but me pick it, kids play there all the time and don't touch it. Their age I was out scrumping all the time..

To save easy money, I’ve just stopped eating meat altogether.

I got the keys to my house in February and it’s going to cost a fortune to bring it up to spec - not something I was planning on as it’s only 20 years old. I hate it when people don’t look after their belongings.

Money is tight and cutting out meat is an obvious solution, for me anyway. As a second generation Italian, this hurts a lot, but there are some great veggie recipes out there.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
To save easy money, I’ve just stopped eating meat altogether.

I got the keys to my house in February and it’s going to cost a fortune to bring it up to spec - not something I was planning on as it’s only 20 years old. I hate it when people don’t look after their belongings.

Money is tight and cutting out meat is an obvious solution, for me anyway. As a second generation Italian, this hurts a lot, but there are some great veggie recipes out there.

If you can find a farm shop and buy 10 lb mince then you can weigh it out into lots of different sizes and pop in the freezer. There are so many options to make with mince, and buying in bulk makes sense.

Reactions: 4
My mum cooked it and I hated it. when I was pregnant I was very anaemic and was told to eat liver, my MIL cooked it for me twice a week and it was divine. Not before a lot of fuss from me trying to actually put it into my mouth 🤣 But she put me on the road of being a liver lover

I flash fry it with heart and kidney and throw some bacon and curry powder in it and have it for breakfast (my Moroccan BIL got me into this)

I make my own pate and its about the healthiest food you can eat just rammed with vitamins . its a real energy booster.

If the SHTF I would be out getting deer and rabbits etc. I doubt many people here would, we have lots of ancient fruit trees and bushes here and no one but me pick it, kids play there all the time and don't touch it. Their age I was out scrumping all the time..
Ooops when I say "not many people here would" I mean where I live not on this thread

I would have eaten venison before turning veggie.

I suppose it's the cost of hunting. Farmers just bundle their stock from a field onto a van to send them to slaughter. Deer have to be hunted, unless we start farming them, but its not as simple as that.

Venison is lovely, we're on the north coast of Scotland and a lot of the forestry plantations and estates control the deer populations, so it's relatively easy to get cheap here if you know the right people. Though the first time we tried to get some Mr F naively asked for a leg joint to roast, was asked for £30 which he thought was a bit steep, guy said he'd bring it the next day and hand it over in the work car park - entire back leg of a red deer turned up, hoof still attached, about 10kg of meat!

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
I would have eaten venison before turning veggie.

I suppose it's the cost of hunting. Farmers just bundle their stock from a field onto a van to send them to slaughter. Deer have to be hunted, unless we start farming them, but its not as simple as that.
In 2019 there were around 400 deer farms containing 30,000 deer in the UK. However UK produced venison is still predominantly 'wild' from Scotland. It is said that a problem with 'wild' venison is that it is more difficult to assure a standard quality which is of course what supermarkets will want. The UK is only about 70% self sufficient in venison, the rest being imported from countries like New Zealand, Poland and Spain. Growing demand will probably mean that imports will increase.

In 2019 there were around 400 deer farms containing 30,000 deer in the UK. However UK produced venison is still predominantly 'wild' from Scotland. It is said that a problem with 'wild' venison is that it is more difficult to assure a standard quality which is of course what supermarkets will want. The UK is only about 70% self sufficient in venison, the rest being imported from countries like New Zealand, Poland and Spain. Growing demand will probably mean that imports will increase.
Thank you for the insight, I was oblivious that we had that many!

It was early when I posted and possibly my brain wasn't functioning as of course it makes sense 🤦🏼‍♀️

Thank you for the insight, I was oblivious that we had that many!

It was early when I posted and possibly my brain wasn't functioning as of course it makes sense 🤦🏼‍♀️
Don't worry ... I didn't know either until I looked into it. Actually I was surprised that such a high proportion of UK venison is still 'wild'. I read a paper produced by a farmer who was looking into including deer as part of his farming. The thing that stood out amongst the costs was of course fencing.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.